Global Babies/Bebes del mundo

Global Babies/Bebes del mundo

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Spanish language edition. Appealing photos of babies from seventeen cultures around the globe are woven together by simple narration. GLOBAL BABIES presents children in cultural context. Diverse settings highlight specific differences in clothing, daily life, and traditions, as well as demonstrate that babies around the world are nurtured by the love, caring, and joy that...more
Board Book, 16 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Charlesbridge (first published June 1st 2007)

Erin
I checked this book out because my son adores the other book in the series, American Babies (reviewed here). Unfortunately, we still have American Babies checked out because he asks for it by name. I fear we are going to have to buy a copy.

Anyway, I much prefer Global Babies. The text is your run of the mill I-want-to-poke-my-head-with-a-fork type of board book, rather than the I-want-to-embed-this-fork-in-my-brain-NO-WAIT-in-the-author's-brain kind of board book that American Babies was. Bonus...more
Jess
Intended audience or age: baby-preschool

Each page of this board book features a photograph of a baby, each labeled with its country. The accompanying text describes how babies everywhere are special and loved.

The text is somewhat predictable, but in a way that is soothingly repetitive and suited to babies who couldn't understand the text. It could also work for a slightly older child who wants to look through the book alone. The geographic identifiers on each photo could also be used to introduc...more
Rachel G
While I liked the idea of illustrating babies from around the world in their traditional garments in a book for babies, this book fell a bit flat for me. The colors and photos are beautiful, but I would have rather had no additional text other than where they are from in this board book. The long sentence is very hard to follow, and would be even hard if reading this to infants/toddlers - especially if you want to highlight how each baby is both different & the same.
Christa
Excellent book for young babies! The photos make the book more interesting to young children than most board books' illustrations (as babies don't really understand symbolism/representation), and it includes a variety of faces and cultural accoutrements. The text also has some rhyming and a lyrical quality that is wonderful for getting young children interested in language. This is a favorite of mine to give as a gift to new parents.
Brittany Long
Very cute book that I would use to show multiculturalism. I love the message associated with this book and I feel it's something we should definitely teach children at a young age. As a teaching idea, after reading this book you can have the children draw and share different things that they believe makes them special.
Mahrya
My son loves to stare at the baby faces. The only reason I'm giving it four stars instead of five is because it's hard to read the little narrative interspersed with the labels of where the babies are from.
jacky
Aug 28, 2010 jacky rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: babies - K
Shelves: board-books, lib-lew
I saw this on Parent Picks on Nickelodeon's Parents Connect, so I grabbed it when it was on display at the library. As promised, the photographs were excellent. Lots of cute babies. I especially liked the ones of the babies in slings and the one of the baby with the fur lined hood. The variety in countries was good, though I wished there had been something like Canada, Britain, or Australia; Russia; and a Scandinavian country. A very blond or red head child would have added to the variety in my...more
Ale_meows

This non fictional children's picture book focuses on how all babies are loved regardless of where they are from. There is one picture for every 13 countries represented in the book. The book has very little text but it makes up for it with the delightful colorful pictures. i would use this book in a pre-k or kindergarten classroom when teaching the children about how everyone is special, beautiful and loved. The students could interact with this book on their own and learn about how babies fro...more
Karawan
One of the first books we read to my son and still a favorite that we keep returning to. The photographs are stunning and I love that they showcase not just the different clothing from around the world, but also babywearing. It's perfect for infants at that age where they want nothing more than to look at other faces. My son was mesmerized by the babies from about 2 months on. His initial favorite was the Peruvian baby.

The pictures really stand alone. The words, although nice, aren't really esse...more
Rachael Ricker (Myers)
I will pretty much give high ratings to any book that features photos of babies in it because my son loves them. It's that easy. This one gets extra points for including different babies from around the world.
Earl
Photographs of babies from all over the world with a sweet message. Great introduction to diversity. My only problem was they repeated countries in each book. I wouldn’t think it’d be necessary!
Aprils
I liked looking at the pictures. The sentence was too long, though.
Shayne Cope
I liked the multiculturalism by showing babies from around the world.
John
John didn't find this as interesting as the adults did.
Kathryn
Unfortunately, the book I got from the library was missing the back pages so perhaps I would have been more into the book if I'd been able to finish it. What I read was nice, though. Each page features a photograph of a baby (just the baby, no surroundings or parents, etc.) from a different country--most of them in "traditional" clothing, so you can see the cultural differences. The few words say that, no matter where they live, all babies are beautiful and special.
Kristen
This book is so cute! I love babies! The book gives us pictures of babies from all around the world, and of course not a single one looks the same- different race, different hair, different eyes, and even different accessories/clothes. But, despite these many characteristics, babies are beautiful and loved. This would be great to give to someone who is expecting or to bring to a baby shower.
Erin
Babies love looking at baby faces, and Global Babies encourages this enjoyment as it celebrates globally diverse babies through beautiful photographs of babies from 13 different countries. The book teaches that babies, no matter where they live are beautiful, special, and loved. Global Babies is a small and simple board book that shares cultural diversity with the youngest of readers.
Katie
Babies everywhere are loved... A sweet board book featuring photographs of babies from a handful of different countries. One thing that I love about this book is that many of the babies are dressed in traditional garments from their culture. The text is short and simple but still enjoyable when read over and over again. I do wish that some of the photos were sharper and higher quality.
Carol
Feb 23, 2012 Carol rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Infants, Toddlers
My granddaughter, 4 months old, loves this! She loves looking at the babies' faces. I talk about their garb, their expressions, and their features - sparkling eyes, smiling faces, ears, etc. I'm sure when she becomes more verbal, she'll have new observations to add to the discussion. For now the faces engage her and that's a win! I'd recommend this book for any new baby.
Audrey
Aug 05, 2009 Audrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1-2 year olds
This book contains photographs of cute babies from around the world. My son loved this book as a 1-year old, and loved to look at photos of faces in general. The text is brief, but forced at a few points, but fine for a young child. As a 2-year old this isn't one of my son's favorites anymore, but he will occasionally pick it out of his book pile for re-reading.
Crossingbird
Age range: 0-2
Literacy skill: Print awareness

I included this book because looking at images of diversity can build a lifelong acceptance of difference from the time children are born. Seeing images of different types of families gives infants a base concept of acceptance.
Tamar Schiffman
This is the bilingual version of The Global Fund for Children's book Global Babies which came out last year. The book is fabulous - photos are heartwarming. I think the bilingual aspect adds to the global theme of the book. My 14-month old nephew has this book and can't take his eyes off the bright and beautiful photos.
Xaka
I absolutely adore this book. I love looking at all the babies from different countries. I like how there are 2 babies from the USA to show 2 different cultures, even though I'm sure other countries have more than 1 culture, too.

The babies are so cute! Just looking through this book brings me joy.
Amy
This is a fantastic book for babies - lots of faces, and very few of them look like the faces in most American board books. This takes diversity to a truly global level, and Alex smiled and babbled to the pictures from the first time we opened the book.
Meredith
Global Babies is comprised of photographs of babies from different countries around the world, framed brightly colored backgrounds and accompanied by simple text. Each baby or toddler is ethnically diverse, and they're all extremely cute.
Katy Vance
I really liked this board book for babies! The only thing I didn't like about it was that the United States was mentioned twice. With a book called American babies by the same publisher, it seemed unnecessary and a nod to American exceptionalism.
K
We mostly checked it out because of the numerous babywearing pictures, but the text is boring. The photography is okay. It's neat to see some of the fashions and carriers of different cultures, but there's not really much context given.
Amanda
This is not our fist time to read but this has been a favorite for us for such a long time, I wanted to add it. My 10 month old laughs and smiles at the babies and I like exposing her to different (to her) cultures.
Carly
My daughter has loved this book since she was first able to look at books on her own. She loves the bright, colorful pictures of babies from around the world.
Randall
I do think it's funny I can add these books to my list. That's all. This one has a bunch of cute pictures of babies. Owen likes it. Plot's pretty thin, though.
  • I Kissed the Baby!