Start by marking “Idle Parent,The” as Want to Read:
Idle Parent,The

Idle Parent,The

Offers a revolutionary approach to childcare, based on the idea of D H Lawrence and others that the best thing we can do for children is to leave them alone. To do so we need to stop worrying and start nurturing the natural instincts towards creativity and independence in every child. This guide is suitable for those grappling with parenthood.
Published March 24th 2009 by Hamish Hamilton (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Idle Parent,The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Idle Parent,The

Karen
Jun 22, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone. Especially proudly hardworking people.
I'm giving this 5 stars, not because it is some groundbreaking work of genius, but because I think everyone should read it. It isn't just about parenting; it is generally about breaking out of our Puritan ideals of what life should be like. I enjoyed this because it gave me a sense of validation about my own world view and how I live; others might think this is the worst book ever.

Every time my mother snarks at me about my life being so "easy", as if it is some badge of honor to have made yours
Melissa
Mar 14, 2010 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Initially, I thought to myself, I am going to totally agree with this author. After all, I'm a huge "unhurried child" fan and advocate. I loved the chapter title, Bring Back Child Labor. Funny!

Then, I started reading.

What I couldn't understand is why the author is so fixated with drinking! Hodgkinson continually brings up drinking with good parenting - drink more, give baths tipsy, and on and on. It's almost pushy and it got very weird. Is it okay if parents don't drink? I would say, not for him
Joel
May 18, 2010 Joel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Expectant Parents
Recommended to Joel by: Mother
Jarkko Laine
Oct 15, 2010 Jarkko Laine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: minimalism, parenting
You don't have to agree with everything in a book for the book to be amazing. In fact, often, the best books are ones that present a mix of strengthening your values by describing them in a clear way and new ideas that force you to question your ways.

Tom Hodgkinson's The Idle Parent does just that -- and after finishing the book, I can't help but love the concept of idle parenting. No, it's not because I want my kids to bring me breakfast to bed, and I'm not even that much into drinking alcohol
Dan Richter
Aug 19, 2014 Dan Richter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help

Tom Hodkinson – Leitfaden für Faule Eltern

Nach der Lektüre hin und her gerissen. Neben klugem Wachrütteln und Hinweisen fürs Wesentliche steht irre anmutender Schrott. Das Schema ist ungefähr folgendes: Ein guter Ratschlag zu einem Perspektivwechsel wird so ins Extreme gedrückt, dass er fast seinen Sinn verliert. Es ist, als müsse man sich nicht die Rosinen aus einem Kuchen holen, sondern aus versalzener Blutwurst.

Eine Besprechung wäre fast zu zermürbend. Der Einfachheit halber stelle ich die Pu

Tanya W
Nov 26, 2010 Tanya W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!. I'm certain the application of some of the things I'm learning can add to my daily happiness as a parent. This is very well written and easy to read and quite often funny. Tom Hodgkinson draws much of this wisdom from the writing of John Locke (Some Thoughts Concerning Education) and Jacques Rousseau (Emile).

The notes below are for my benefit.. the things that apply to me... quotes, thoughts, and I guess you could say "spoilers".

They're happy because we're happy... Do not suffer.
RH Walters
Mar 03, 2015 RH Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An anti-materialist, back-to-nature and the-couch, DIY, pro-sleep, guilt-free guide to enjoying life with kids. Hodgkinson can be evangelical and hypocritical (e.g., nannies), but he freely admits his mistakes and contradictions, and promotes the feeling that mistakes and chaos are okay. Reading other reviews I see that he turns some people off with his lusty endorsement of alcohol and sweets, and admittedly that's part of his charm for me. Lots of good things to quote, but I choose this:
"What w
Robyn
Feb 01, 2011 Robyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book. I loved the premise - encourage your kids to be more independent, don't overschedule them, make life more enjoyable for them and for you... But most of the suggestions in this book were so unrealistic that reading it began to feel like a waste of time. Many families have two working parents. Most don't live on farms, or start their own local schools in order to encourage a form of "anarchy." And though many of us enjoy a good drink, we don't plan our days aroun ...more
Danine
Apr 12, 2013 Danine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It turns out I'm already an idle parent according to Hodgkinson. This book is pretty much common sense. I agreed with some of his perspectives and was like WTF are you thinking on other perspectives. A typical parent book read. I thought it was great how he advocated the rejection of commercialized products. I did not like his perspective on schooling which was anarchistic. He preferred homeschool. I am not against homeschool, but I there are a lot of great teachers out there who must conform to ...more
Knut
Feb 08, 2015 Knut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Some people don't seem to understand the humorist in Tom Hodgkinson and feel irritated because he e.g. writes that tipsy mothers sitting around a bonfire are great mothers. Those people miss his main message, which contains a universal truth for mankind: loneliness creates sadness.

Loneliness seems to be a paradox to family life, but the modern nuclear family often creates for parents the experience of overwhelming loneliness and a sense of ineptitude to rear one's offspring. I talk out of exper
Jenny
Dec 28, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How nice to be given permission to chill out a little as a parent. We are conditioned to believe that if we are not providing non-stop activities and entertainment for our kids (and loving it) we are failing as parents. But I agree that it's good for kids to be bored sometimes; then they invent their own games. You don't have to be their 24/7 playmate.

I was nodding at all the basic premises of the book: leave your kids alone more so they can exercise their own creativity, work together at home,
Lisa
Sep 15, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in unorthodox parenting
Tom Hodgkinson has written 2 other books, The Freedom Manifesto and How to be Idle. I have read neither of these books, but I have read The Idle Parent and listened to Hodgkinson on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4I5XI...).

After the writing 2 books, Hodgkinson came to the realization that he better write another book. He took inventory: he enjoys humor and entertaining others; and as a writer, he has many responsibilities dealing with his children that he would like to avoid. He likes
Penny
Dec 26, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, read the book to the end. I think many of the previous reviews by people who couldn't bring themselves to finish the book may have changed their minds if they could power through a little longer.

In the early chapters, this book sounds pretty ridiculous. The author appears to be condoning honest laziness. He gives the impression that his take on parenting is literally kicking your feet up and doing nothing for your kids. When you get a little further in, the truth is revealed. The auth
Kstangl
How lovely to read a book that actually makes you feel like you are doing the right thing by leaving your kids to their own devices and lounging on the sofa to read. With Blackhawk parenting run amok, it is a relief to have found a champion for a more hands-off school of parenting. Hodgkinson does offer an interesting examination of how such parenting is ultimately linked to the corporate capitalism. And how many contemporary parenting books quote Locke, Rousseau and DH Lawrence at length? Howev ...more
Aug 19, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Maybe 2 stars is too harsh, but I hated to give it 3. I found that the entire time I was reading the book I was making a mental tally in my head of Things I'd Say Amen To versus Things That are Absolutely Ridiculous. The book is not very well researched, other than the author dusting off a few old philosophers' work. There just aren't many facts behind his claims. Much of the book seemed contradictory to me: He lauds laying on the couch with a beer and leaving the kids alone to find things to do ...more
Frankly, going by his definition, I well out-Idle Tom Hodgkinson, editor of The Idler magazine, as a parent, taken over the whole of my children's lifetimes - no well-thumbed and then renounced "Contented Little Baby"s for me. I have the 'luxury' of having it forced upon me. His description of nightly bath and enforcing an hour a day limit on computer time sound way too much like hard work to me.

He has obviously followed his own dictum and not worked too hard in writing this book. There are many
Aug 20, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I confess. I read only half of this book. I fall into the same group as many other reviewers--I both liked and disliked this book.

I loved the premise of the book: let your kids be kids. Let them play in unstructured environments, let them run around outside, turn off the TV, expect them to contribute to the household (in appropriate ways), rely on/support other family members and friends to share the big task of raising kids, etc.

But, I also often found his lofty applications of his phil
Lyn
Nov 08, 2012 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I wondered where this book would go - it sets out in a blokey kind of way extolling the merits of "lie-on-the-couch-and-do-nothing" parenting; but every now and then a gem would be dropped in that kept me reading, so perhaps it was a gimmick to reel in the readers!
Because this book is really a hymn to a simple sort of family life - one where the members make their own entertainment, shut off or get rid of the screens, keep animals, sing, dance, play, garden, cook and read together.
It i
Jonathan-David Jackson
As told in the excellent movie The Gods Must Be Crazy, among the San people of the Kalarahi desert, "nobody would dream of disciplining a child, or even speaking harshly to it". In a natural setting, there's simply no need for parenting as we know it. Our complex modern society has removed us from nature so far that 'parent' must be a full time occupation. That's not what this book says, of course, just my opinion - I'll expand on it in a future blog post, so if you're into that kind of thing th ...more
Polly
Sep 21, 2014 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself agreeing with a lot of the author's ideas, and why wouldn't anyone? This is a great child-rearing manifesto, encouraging you to leave the kids alone so they learn to become more resourceful and ultimately amuse themselves, leaving you more time to sleep and/or drink beer. Does seem more possible if you, like the author can make a living by writing an live on a farm in the countryside but there is still plently to take from it even if this is not your set-up.
Skylar Burris
Jul 06, 2010 Skylar Burris marked it as unfinished
Based on the free sample, I think this book is going to confirm me in my own personal parenting philosophy, and so I look forward to reading the rest of it one day. I need printed justifcation for my laziness as a parent. I do get the idea that his little-thought-out anti-capitalism is going to start annoying me further into the book, however. Okay, it's already annoying me 20 pages in. But I think I'll be reading this one anyway.
Jo Hoornaert
Oct 17, 2012 Jo Hoornaert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
zeker lezen als je nog kleine kinderen hebt. (ik las dit enkel jaren geleden: devies: 'leave them alone' & laat ze ook beetje helpen & zo. Zij doen niet liever, & jij liever niet.
Kelly Deriemaeker
Feb 05, 2012 Kelly Deriemaeker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sommige dingen zijn met een korrel zout te nemen, maar ik vond het wel heel interessant om lezen. Makes you think, begot.
Amy
Feb 25, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is someone else recommending my exact approach to parenting. Of course I loved it.
Jamie The Bookwhore
Interesting read.
Becca Loo
It has a comforting message, one that I'm sure I'll need reminding of throughout my life: chill. When you're chill, the kids are more likely to be chill. I'd say it lands more under parenting philosophy than concrete parenting strategy though. Worth a half-read for sure.
Carrie
Jul 03, 2017 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Excellent premise but weird diversions into how to drink as much beer as possible and not work or have your kids attend public school.
Mar 20, 2017 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Ugh...awful. I couldn't get past the introduction when he sounds impressed by his friend who trained his young daughter to bring him beer and cigarettes. Really?
Gail
Mar 20, 2013 Gail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tom Hodgkinson presents a fascinating contradiction: on the one hand, his “idle parenting” school of thought involves minimizing parental burden on a day-to-day basis (e.g., “The problem is that we’re putting too much work into parenting, not too little.”); on the other, he urges parents to base major life decisions on their children’s development (“Better to be penniless and at home than rich and absent, certainly during the first three or four years of each child’s life. There will be plenty o ...more
Ruth
Mar 04, 2017 Ruth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although I agreed with many of the ideas in the book, and he gave me a few more to contemplate, the overall tone was really obnoxious. I don't think I'd like the author if I met him.
  • Free-Range Kids: Giving Our Children the Freedom We Had Without Going Nuts with Worry
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason
  • Under Pressure: Rescuing Childhood from the Culture of Hyper-Parenting
  • Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • The Continuum Concept: In Search Of Happiness Lost
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Escape From Childhood
  • Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby
Tom Hodgkinson (b. 1968) is a British writer and the editor of The Idler, which he established in 1993 with his friend Gavin Pretor-Pinney. He was educated at Westminster School. He has contributed articles to The Sunday Telegraph, The Guardian and The Sunday Times as well as being the author of The Idler spin-off How To Be Idle (2005), How To Be Free (released in the U.S. under the title The Free ...more
More about Tom Hodgkinson...

“Existuje pošetilá představa, že nemá cenu něco dělat, pokud v tom nejste absolutně nejlepší, což vede k tomu, že většina z nás nedělá vůbec nic.” 3 likes
“Malé děti poznají lépe Coca-Colu než pórek. Je to tím, že Coca-Cola za marketing ročně utratí dvě miliardy dolarů.” 1 likes