Start by marking “Message from Nam” as Want to Read:
Message from Nam

Message from Nam

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  7,449 ratings  ·  227 reviews
As a journalist, Paxton Andrews would experience Vietnam firsthand. We follow her from high school in Savannah to college in Berkeley and then to work in Saigon.

For the soldiers she knew and met there, Viet Nam would change their lives in ways they could never have imagined. For the men in her life, Viet Nam would change their lives in ways hey could not escape or deny. Pe
Published April 2nd 1991 by Dell (first published May 1st 1990)

The Gift by Danielle SteelHeartbeat by Danielle SteelSisters by Danielle SteelMessage from Nam by Danielle SteelJewels by Danielle Steel
The Best of Danielle Steel
4th out of 46 books — 203 voters
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina SimonsTatiana and Alexander by Paullina SimonsOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Summer Garden by Paullina SimonsGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
War/Romance novels
56th out of 323 books — 415 voters

More lists with this book...

Renee
I read this while pregnant with my youngest, and I cried through most of it. Well, about a third of the way through I started crying and didn't stop until the end. Maybe the pregnancy hormones had something to do with it, but I think this would be emotional for anyone to read.

Beautiful characters, heartbreaking yet also heartwarming story. I'd read again.
Mike

Message from Nam! This book has a long history with me. I used to recommend it all the time when I worked in a bookstore and people would come in asking for a romance novel. Message from Nam was by far the best title we had. We moved a lot of copies that way.

When my very good goodreads friend found it at our school's used book sale, my bluff was called and I had to acknowledge that I'd never read it.

I learned a surprising amount of detail about the Viet Cong tunneling system from this book. Who
Tara
I haven't read many novels by Danielle Steel, but I have to say that Message From Nam is one of the best books I have read - ever! I liked the plot, the dialogue, the characters were very "real", and it was very well written. It also happens to be one of the saddest stories I have ever read, but absolutely worth reading!
Rachel Whitley
This book was intense, . compelling.
It made me cry.
It was exponentially frustrating and heartwrenching.
It left me emotionally exhausted, and ultimately relieved.
In other words, "Message From Nam" captured perfectly that time and place for which there are no adequate words, the 1960's, Vietnam, and a collision of political and sociocultural events that swept the dreams and hopes and lives and loves of hundreds of thousands of Americans into the storms of war.
Martha
I actually read this book years ago, but I recently found an old copy of it in a storage bin in the basement and ended up reading it again. I forgot how moving it was. Of course, being a Danielle Steele novel, there's some trashy romance and whatnot, but the bigger story--the story of how war tears apart relationships, love's slow death and then love re-discovered under seemingly impossible circumstances--is very touching. The ending is predictable, but still very sweet.
Carol Nine
This was a fantastic book. I found it to be a very interesting history of the Vietnam War, along with a wonderful romance novel. This is one of my favorites by Danielle Steel. The story was not predictable, as are many romance novels, and I feel I was not only entertained, but I learned a lot about history. The characters were all very likable. The story seemed so real that I became misty eyed reading it. I heartily recommend reading this one.
Cari
"...Remember, friends. . .
Remember. . .
the boys who died,
who lived,
who cried,
The boys
who fought
in Nam.
"

Message from Nam starts with a poem entitled "The Boys Who Fought in Nam" and from those very first few pages and the powerful message contained in those lines, I was emotionally invested in this book. In reading this book, I gained knowledge about a painful piece of our nation's history that is barely mentioned in American History courses, and the emotions multiplied with every page that I r
Sherry
I read this book three times and now have a desire to pick it up yet once again. As a child of the 70's with a brother who served in Nam, this book gave me a glimpse of what it might of been like. If I had only been older, I may of been inspired to follow in Paxton's footsteps to be a photo journalist.
Lisa Owens
This story brought to life the awful things that happened over there.Losing my uncle made me want to read this book,I felt like I could understand the lose of so many lives.The ones who came home were never the same,and for those of us too young to live it.I just say thank you.
Pookie Roberts
This was a really great heart wrenching story.. I loved it.. I would say anyone who knew anyone or was there in Nam to read this... A tale of love won & lost.. How a woman over comes the loss of love & moves on.. Please read this book.. I recommend it to everyone..
Saratu
This was my first Danielle Steel novel and it started my collection. I cried all through it and my friends wondered why i couldn't put such a sad book down. It was worth every moment.
Jennifer Daymude Jennings
My favorite book of hers!
Zena
I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I only wish it contained more stories about the war and the soldiers. other than that it was a great book.
Meryan
Paxton Andrews goes from Savanna to go to college at Berkeley.While there she falls in love with her roommates brother.They are together for a few years and he becomes a lawyer.Right before the cut-off date for him to be drafted he is,and sent to Viet Nam.He is only there for a week when he is killed by friendly fire.Pax talks to Peter(the killed boy)father who owns a newspaper and goes to Nam as a reporter.While there she falls in love with Captain William Quinn,who is a "tunnel rat",he's marri ...more
Fungai
Reading this book yet again (as an adult) and I must say that I have enjoyed it even more this time. I am positive that this is my favourite book by Danielle Steel. The book still churns the same emotions if not even more intense than before.

This is a story of different types of love – sexual, platonic and maternal. Paxton Andrews falls in love with 3 different men, all of whom are the love of her life in differing ways. Peter, the love of her youth and 1st man she ever experiences the emotion
Kerry Cerra
I don't read Danielle Steel anymore, but this book has stuck with me for years. I read it in college and still remember having my heart breaker wen the Mom makes one of the most difficult choices a parent would ever have to. This is one of my favorites of hers.
Margaret
Oh my, you know I pride myself on not being a fan of chocolate, I in fact brag on it, no thank you, chocolate is way too rich for me, etc. etc. Though if you put a piece of Rocky Road or a truffle in front of me, I will make yummy sounds and reach for another one. This analogy is how I'll start this review. I have never read a Danielle Steel book and if someone suggest that I do, I probably would laugh in their face. But, here is why I read one of her books, while I was waiting to have my blood ...more
Coyla Coblentz
I hate to be one of those people, but I didn't like this book. I read it doggedly from beginning to end just to say that I did. I think Danielle Steele has an excellent grasp of history, and that's where she truly shines. But I never felt a connection to the characters in this story. The protagonist is pretty, privileged, and fights against the injustice of non-progressive ideas. But there's nothing about her that I liked. To be fair, I don't care much for romance (unless it's the Charlotte Bron ...more
Haya Nufus
Ide cerita tentang orang-orang yang terlibat dalam perang Vietnam menarik bagi saya yang menyukai novel Sejarah... Hanya saja kisah yang terasa sangat padat ini diceritakan terlalu cepat dan seolah terburu-buru. Saya tidak membaca versi aslinya namun saya berharap terjemahannya bisa lebih detail dan indah. Mengalir iya, namun agak hambar. Penulis bercerita (tell) apa yang terjadi tidak mengajak pembaca untuk merasakan suasana dan kejadian perkejadian yang sebenarnya sangat 'berkonflik'.

Namun te
Beth
By far this is one of her best books. It will make you laugh and cry and all around put you on an emotional rollercoaster. It's full of love and very touching. An awesome read.
Barb
One of my very favourites, learned so much about the vietnam war in this one, Danielles books are very very well researched and are really quite educational
Silvia
Sep 10, 2010 Silvia rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: ds
It was a really good book. I would have liked more details at the end but it is good if you want to learn a little about the Vietnam war.
Erin
Makes me cry every time I read it, but it's an amazing book. I don't usually like Danielle Steel, but I love this book!
Readergirl77
Hands down the best Danielle Steel novel I have read. The story draws the reader in and makes the characters come to life.
Karen
Better than her usual books. This book was fiction but laced with fact from Vietnam, which made it much nicer.
J.d. Watts
This was one of my favorite DS novels ever! It was a pretty good made for TV movie as well!
Lois
after reading this book i wanted to find out more about vietnam, good book
Ellenjsmellen
Cried my pea pickin' eyes out. I will not label this mindless smut.
An Tirado García
Creo que este libro ha sido super pesado de leer, y por eso le doy tres estrellas. Yo buscaba una novela muuy romántica, cosa que no he encontrado en este libro, así que os aviso por si lo queréis leer.
Sinceramente, creo que la trama ha llegado a rozar lo morboso, y a la autora le ha gustado mucho meter el dedo en la llaga.
Lo bueno, pues ha sido la forma de escribir, y los personajes, a los que vamos conociendo y podemos observar perfectamente su evolución. Voy a probar con otro de la autora, q
Stacey
Message from Nam, follows the life of Paxton Andrews.

We first meet Paxton as a school girl in Savannah, who declines an offer to attend Harvard University, opting to study journalism at Berkeley instead.

Whilst at Berkeley, she falls in love with law student, Peter, but when war breaks out in Vietnam, Peter is called up to serve for his country, and drafted overseas to fight.

When news gets back to Paxton that Peter has died in combat, she finds it hard to cope. To help with her grief, she wants t
Danielle Steel Bo...: Message From Nam 1 2 Nov 20, 2012 03:26AM
  • Till We Meet Again
  • Danielle Steel
  • Lucky (Lucky Santangelo, #2)
  • To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3)
  • Kentucky Sunrise (Kentucky, #3)
  • Family Blessings
  • Sweet Prairie Passion (Savage Destiny, #1)
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • Deceptions
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters The Gift Kaleidoscope Fine Things