Message from Nam

Message from Nam

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  6,556 ratings  ·  200 reviews
As a journalist, Paxton Andrews would experience Vietnam firsthand. We follow her from high school in Savannah to college in Berkeley and then to work in Saigon.

For the soldiers she knew and met there, Viet Nam would change their lives in ways they could never have imagined. For the men in her life, Viet Nam would change their lives in ways hey could not escape or deny. Pe...more
Published April 2nd 1991 by Dell (first published May 1st 1990)

The Gift by Danielle SteelHeartbeat by Danielle SteelSisters by Danielle SteelMessage from Nam by Danielle SteelThe Promise by Danielle Steel
The Best of Danielle Steel
4th out of 53 books — 144 voters
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina SimonsTatiana and Alexander by Paullina SimonsOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Summer Garden by Paullina SimonsGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
War/Romance novels
49th out of 184 books — 368 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike

Message from Nam! This book has a long history with me. I used to recommend it all the time when I worked in a bookstore and people would come in asking for a romance novel. Message from Nam was by far the best title we had. We moved a lot of copies that way.

When my very good goodreads friend found it at our school's used book sale, my bluff was called and I had to acknowledge that I'd never read it.

I learned a surprising amount of detail about the Viet Cong tunneling system from this book. Who...more
Renee
I read this while pregnant with my youngest, and I cried through most of it. Well, about a third of the way through I started crying and didn't stop until the end. Maybe the pregnancy hormones had something to do with it, but I think this would be emotional for anyone to read.

Beautiful characters, heartbreaking yet also heartwarming story. I'd read again.
Martha J.
I actually read this book years ago, but I recently found an old copy of it in a storage bin in the basement and ended up reading it again. I forgot how moving it was. Of course, being a Danielle Steele novel, there's some trashy romance and whatnot, but the bigger story--the story of how war tears apart relationships, love's slow death and then love re-discovered under seemingly impossible circumstances--is very touching. The ending is predictable, but still very sweet.
Carol Nine
This was a fantastic book. I found it to be a very interesting history of the Vietnam War, along with a wonderful romance novel. This is one of my favorites by Danielle Steel. The story was not predictable, as are many romance novels, and I feel I was not only entertained, but I learned a lot about history. The characters were all very likable. The story seemed so real that I became misty eyed reading it. I heartily recommend reading this one.
Tara
I haven't read many novels by Danielle Steel, but I have to say that Message From Nam is one of the best books I have read - ever! I liked the plot, the dialogue, the characters were very "real", and it was very well written. It also happens to be one of the saddest stories I have ever read, but absolutely worth reading!
Sherry
I read this book three times and now have a desire to pick it up yet once again. As a child of the 70's with a brother who served in Nam, this book gave me a glimpse of what it might of been like. If I had only been older, I may of been inspired to follow in Paxton's footsteps to be a photo journalist.
Lisa Owens
This story brought to life the awful things that happened over there.Losing my uncle made me want to read this book,I felt like I could understand the lose of so many lives.The ones who came home were never the same,and for those of us too young to live it.I just say thank you.
Pookie Roberts
This was a really great heart wrenching story.. I loved it.. I would say anyone who knew anyone or was there in Nam to read this... A tale of love won & lost.. How a woman over comes the loss of love & moves on.. Please read this book.. I recommend it to everyone..
Saratu
This was my first Danielle Steel novel and it started my collection. I cried all through it and my friends wondered why i couldn't put such a sad book down. It was worth every moment.
Jennifer Daymude Jennings
My favorite book of hers!
Rachel Whitley
This book was intense, . compelling.
It made me cry.
It was exponentially frustrating and heartwrenching.
It left me emotionally exhausted, and ultimately relieved.
In other words, "Message From Nam" captured perfectly that time and place for which there are no adequate words, the 1960's, Vietnam, and a collision of political and sociocultural events that swept the dreams and hopes and lives and loves of hundreds of thousands of Americans into the storms of war.
Kerry Cerra
I don't read Danielle Steel anymore, but this book has stuck with me for years. I read it in college and still remember having my heart breaker wen the Mom makes one of the most difficult choices a parent would ever have to. This is one of my favorites of hers.
Coyla Coblentz
I hate to be one of those people, but I didn't like this book. I read it doggedly from beginning to end just to say that I did. I think Danielle Steele has an excellent grasp of history, and that's where she truly shines. But I never felt a connection to the characters in this story. The protagonist is pretty, privileged, and fights against the injustice of non-progressive ideas. But there's nothing about her that I liked. To be fair, I don't care much for romance (unless it's the Charlotte Bron...more
Beth
By far this is one of her best books. It will make you laugh and cry and all around put you on an emotional rollercoaster. It's full of love and very touching. An awesome read.
Barb
One of my very favourites, learned so much about the vietnam war in this one, Danielles books are very very well researched and are really quite educational
Silvia
Sep 10, 2010 Silvia rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: ds
It was a really good book. I would have liked more details at the end but it is good if you want to learn a little about the Vietnam war.
Erin
Makes me cry every time I read it, but it's an amazing book. I don't usually like Danielle Steel, but I love this book!
Readergirl77
Hands down the best Danielle Steel novel I have read. The story draws the reader in and makes the characters come to life.
Karen
Better than her usual books. This book was fiction but laced with fact from Vietnam, which made it much nicer.
J.d. Watts
This was one of my favorite DS novels ever! It was a pretty good made for TV movie as well!
Lois
after reading this book i wanted to find out more about vietnam, good book
Ellenjsmellen
Cried my pea pickin' eyes out. I will not label this mindless smut.
An Tirado García
Creo que este libro ha sido super pesado de leer, y por eso le doy tres estrellas. Yo buscaba una novela muuy romántica, cosa que no he encontrado en este libro, así que os aviso por si lo queréis leer.
Sinceramente, creo que la trama ha llegado a rozar lo morboso, y a la autora le ha gustado mucho meter el dedo en la llaga.
Lo bueno, pues ha sido la forma de escribir, y los personajes, a los que vamos conociendo y podemos observar perfectamente su evolución. Voy a probar con otro de la autora, q...more
Miss Kodok
……..Harapan-harapan seluruh bangsa,
seluruh generasi
Di kirim ke perang

Sekelompok pria tua
Memimpin seluruh anak-anak kita ke kematian
Sementara kita melihat dalam ketakutan, dalam kesakitan.
Dengan rasa tak percaya
Bahwa kita harus kehilangan begitu banyak anak kita

..........

Cerita ini dibangun dari keadaan pada akhir tahun 60 – awal tahun 70’an yang terjadi di Amerika dan Vietnam. Dibangun dari konflik kedua negara tersebut yang meminta banyak korban dari kedua belah pihak.

Paxton Andrews kehilangan...more
Indarpati Indarpati
Pesan dari Nam adalah novel terjemahan dari Danielle Steel dengan judul asli Message from Nam yang mengambil setting tahun 1963-1975, saat Amerika sibuk dengan perang Vietnam dan di dalam negeri sendiri terjadi pembunuh atas tiga orang besarnya JFK, RFK, dan Martin Luther King. Novel ini bercerita tentang perjuangan seorang gadis kecil yang kehilangan ayahnya—satu-satunya orang yang mampu mengerti dirinya selain pembantu rumah tangganya yang berkulit hitam--di usia 11 tahun. Selulus SMA, mengesa...more
Sarah Smith
I REALLY ENJOYED "Message From Nam," Danielle Steel's historic, fictional account of the Viet Nam War, as well as the political events that surrounded the HORRIFIC fighting, injury, and death. Of course, I DID NOT relish feeling the undeniable pain that Paxton Andrews experienced when she lost Peter Wilson and Captain William "Bill" Quinn; however, I DID TRULY ADMIRE the kind of person that Paxton is from beginning to end. On the other hand, though, by the time Lieutenant Anthony "Tony" Campobel...more
Julie Barrett
Message from Nam by Danielle Steel
Paxton is raised in the south and with an older brother she feels so much closer to the nanny/chef, Queenie than her mother and brother.
Her father had passed away several years ago and she wanted to make her own path in the world. It was just after JFK had been shot and she has strong desires to follow her path and stand up for what she believes in.
When she didn't get accepted at Harvard she chooses Berkley in CA.
She moves in with others at college and forms a...more
Johanna Gail Tongco
Paxton Andrews vulnerability in falling in love is one thing that I do not like this book. But I understood as the men presented in this book have personalities and stories to fall for.

Like novels about war, we would understand the value of life and death as the greatest equalizer to mankind. It would also give us a sense of understanding about the lives of some me involved in wars, specially during Vietnam war.
Alison
There were a few things I didn't like about this story - particularly how Paxton kept falling in love with the next man she met. However, what kept me interested in this story (besides the story line itself) was the meticulous and detailed way Steele describes every scene, every relationship. Having not read her books for quite a few years because I found them too "formula" and too simple, I now find she is able to capture and hold my interest. When she describes a battlefield skirmish, you can...more
Ruby :)
Back in 2007 when all I ever did was read books, I decided at the time that I wanted to be Paxton... I'd be a journalist, I'd be a writer... I remember Message from Nam being heart wrenching... At 14, I like to believe Danielle Steel had a great influence on my dreams...
Look at me now, 21, with none of those dreams having come true...
Danielle Steel Bo...: Message From Nam 1 1 Nov 20, 2012 03:26AM
  • Till We Meet Again
  • Vendetta: Lucky's Revenge
  • To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3)
  • Family Blessings
  • Deceptions
  • Texas Heat (Texas, #2)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters The Gift Kaleidoscope Fine Things