Start by marking “The Vicar Of Baghdad: Fighting For Peace In The Middle East” as Want to Read:
The Vicar Of Baghdad: Fighting For Peace In The Middle East

The Vicar Of Baghdad: Fighting For Peace In The Middle East

An insider's fascinating and fast-moving account of the people and events that dominate the Middle East peace process.
Published February 1st 2009 by Monarch

To ask other readers questions about The Vicar Of Baghdad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vicar Of Baghdad

Sally Matthewson
Aug 15, 2015 Sally Matthewson rated it liked it
This book made me think and some of his observations challenged my naive assumptions ie that Sadaam Hussein did in fact have chemical weapons they were simply moved before inspections. Andrew White is a brave man trying to get all factions talking and helping to release hostages as well as being a Priest. He is no longer able to be permanently in Baghdad as the situation has worsened since this book was written it is interesting to read a book by someone who was there and has a burning desire to ...more
Malcolm
Incredibly disappointing. This guy is so immersed in the middle east and working for peace/reconciliation (and all credit to him for that) that his account of his work just comes across as a mass of details and names and is incredibly confusing. Shame
Gina
Jun 04, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I'm very thankful for Andrew White & his heart for the Middle East. This book testifies to how Andrew has selflessly helped bring together different leaders for LOVE and PEACE. Andrew shares so many stories & his faith in GOD is strong! Many people have been involved & I was glad to read all their names. It's kind of like reading the genealogies in the Bible! I'm thankful to get to, to be able to read & learn about this great work.
Peter
Apr 21, 2013 Peter rated it liked it
The book only really comes alive when he is talking about St. Georges church. What has happened there is amazing and the writing is warm, with lots of personal detail. In the rest of the book there are too many things that cannot be spoken about because it would put people in danger if it were. It becomes a rather dry lists of people, meetings and journeys. The danger of the work is always present, and there is no doubting its importance to the future of the country. From the readers perspective ...more
Carol
Dec 22, 2014 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, 2014
I was intrigued by an extended interview with Andrew White by Eric Metaxus. White's direct approach, seeming disregard of his serious medical condition, his passion for peace mixed altogether--talk about winsome.

I was eager to read this book and discover more about this fascinating man. And the words bounced off me. Name after name after name of dignitaries with whom he has negotiated. More names for which my brain had no context.

I admire the man. I wanted to like this book. But I could not gai
Jo
Jul 31, 2015 Jo rated it really liked it
Fascinating book: love, reconciliation and building bridges in the Middle East.
Jason Blean
Jan 05, 2013 Jason Blean rated it it was amazing
You know when reading this that Andrew's stories could fill an encyclopaedia. Truly remarkable, heart-wrenching and inspiring testimony of a life lived fully out on a limb for G-d. You could not write this. Proof that G-d is still working, miraculously behind the harrowing headlines of the Middle East.
Dmcconkey
Jan 11, 2015 Dmcconkey rated it it was amazing
Excellent personal story of Bro Andrew calling and ministry in the Middle East. Gives good insight to what is going on and the complexity of trying to find peace. He is a unique man of the Lord.
Paula
Aug 06, 2013 Paula rated it it was ok
It was good to read how Andrew has helped facilitate the bringing together of different religious leaders so that they can come to an agreement on what is NOT acceptable to any of them. Enlightening read, but I didn't find it particularly stirring.
Emmablount
Aug 02, 2010 Emmablount rated it it was amazing
An incredibly inspiring man and a good insight into the Iraq situation.
Lorraine Peachey
Lorraine Peachey marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Diney Costeloe
Diney Costeloe rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Tara Bindoff
Tara Bindoff rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Naomi Ramsden
Naomi Ramsden is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Luke Randall
Luke Randall rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
WilesFamily
WilesFamily marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Debs
Debs marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Gordon
Gordon rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Ellen Lilipory
Ellen Lilipory marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Ton Lassooij
Ton Lassooij marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Darlynna Rush
Darlynna Rush rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Terry Leadbetter
Terry Leadbetter rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Valerie Teeling
Valerie Teeling marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Jonny Carter
Jonny Carter marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Eric Gregory
Eric Gregory marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Hannah Edington
Hannah Edington rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016