The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery #9)

The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery #9)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  716 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Ninth in the scrumptious-and national bestselling-Chocoholic Mystery series.
TenHuis Chocolade is wall-to- wall with chocolate hearts for Valentine's Day. But Lee is getting no love from Private Detective Derrick Valentine.
He's looking for their employee-a woman Lee and her Aunt Nettie have been harboring for an underground railroad-type organization that aids abused wom...more
Published October 6th 2009 by NAL Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Cupid Killings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Cupid Killings

Junky by William S. BurroughsThe Rum Diary by Hunter S. ThompsonThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlOpiate Addiction - The Painkiller Addiction Epidemic, Heroin ... by Taite Adams
Under the Influence
157th out of 173 books — 135 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellDying For Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson
Mysteries in Good Taste!
280th out of 281 books — 239 voters

More lists with this book...

Caren
This is book 2 in my attempt at the Goodreads mini challenge for October. The category was something sweet for Diabetes Awareness Month. I must admit I am shocked that a mystery centred around chocolate has missed me. I am a total chocoholic. I love everything about chocolate. It comes from a bean therefor it must be good for you. So when I found the series I knew I had to read it.

The Chocolate Cupid Killings is about Lee and her Aunt Nettie, who owns an expensive chocolate shop. Nettie has gott...more
Kari
A cozy mystery from the mystery box!

I have a tendency to want to read a holiday-themed mystery around the holiday, so when I read the blurb on this one that Valentine is the first person to turn up dead, in February, it seemed like the perfect pick.

I have not read other books in the Chocoholic series, and I think this one is about 10 books in. So for all that, I expected Lee to be a bit more of a sophisticated sleuth. She deferred to the police an awful lot. Ironic that that bothered me, since...more
Carol
Pretty good story and a quick read but I don't know if I liked it enough. This is a series and I started about 9 books in so maybe I'll go back and start with the first book and see if I enjoy the stories any more that way. My mouth was watering as they talked about making the super good chocolate candy to sell in the shop. I'll have to go there they give a free sample to every visitor. : )
Laura Beasley
Feb 10, 2014 Laura Beasley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Mary Ann
I was so pleasantly surprised with this book that I gave it 4 stars. I expected more fluff and little plot but was wrong. Surprises and loved the way the author tied it all together. The tips and information on chocolate were interesting and just enough information. Lee works in a chocolate shop that her aunt owns and they are helping a woman brought to them thru the Underground Railroad. She and her aunt end up finding 2 dead bodies and the mystery broadens. Also a rich man who is under investi...more
Syrdarya
A private detective named Derrick Valentine turns up at TenHuis Chocolade, and he's trying to locate a woman who's living in hiding. After seeing the picture Valentine shows her, Lee identifies the woman as Pamela, who is currently working for the chocolate shop but is a member of the "underground railroad" for abused women. Lee refuses to help Valentine, and later he turns up dead. When Pamela vanishes shortly afterwards, Lee is determined to get to the bottom of things.

Another pretty good entr...more
Mark Baker
A PI shows up at TenHuis Chocolade looking for a woman that Lee and her aunt are helping hide in town. Then the PI is killed in the ally behind the shop. I love the characters and enjoyed the book. But at the end, I realized that several major plot points were left dangling, which was really frustrating.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Susan
Manager of her family's chocolate shop, Lee Woodyard is a little nervous about employing women from an underground railroad that takes abused women in danger of their lives to safety under alternate identities. She's shocked when a private investigator comes looking for their newest hire, but even more shocked when the investigator is killed in the chocolate shop's back alley. Lee's aunt Nettie is concerned with smuggling the woman to safety, but once she is back in the undercover system, agrees...more
Brett Bydairk
Another in this cozy series by the pseudonymous Eve Sandstrom.
Lee gets caught up in an 'underground railroad' tat helps abused women escape their husbands, and ends up with two bodies.
For a summer destination, Warner Pier has lot of murders.
Laura Salas
Mary
Linda
This one has a lot going on. Fun read for a cozy mystery. Glad I'm reading them in order. It would be pretty confusing to keep track of the characters otherwise.
Kim
Michigan, fancy chocolates, and a mystery. All is well in here.
Cheryl
I'm getting better at solving the mysteries. I catch the clues earlier in the books now.
Connie
I am a chocoholic, and this series is great! This one was great fun because Lee Woodyard's husband, Joe Woodyard, is involved with this mystery just as deep as Lee this time. As usual a delightful read, full of great characters and humor. I love how the chocolate making is described and it just makes your mouth water for a great truffle or bonbon, which I usually make sure I have on hand when reading this series! or of course any book with chocolate on the side is a perfect way to spend a day!
Christine
This series has always been one of the fluffier ones--the most serious problem Lee usually had was when her tongue got twisted on her and she said some word she didn't mean. This particular book takes a decidedly sinister turn (for a cozy, at least) with battered women, Mob bosses, and corrupt businessmen figuring into its plot. A solid entry in this series, and a welcome change of pace. I hope it's indicative of what we can expect from JoAnna Carl in the future of this series!
Luffy Monkey D.
At last I'm able to recognize patterns in the versatile feel to the books in this series. This particular template is just like a puzzle, with everything fuzzy and incomplete until a big explanation at the end to ease all curiosities. It's a frustrating exercise to read a book like this. I cannot rate The Chocolate Cupid Killings very high, as I couldn't settle down and get cozy with the fluffy, domestic softness that this book lacked. Verily until next time.
Underwood Family
I really enjoy this series. Yes, it's partly because my husband's family is from the same part of Michigan where the series is set so it feels familiar. But mostly it's because Carl manages to write books which are light without also being fluffy. They're not gory or graphic and all the relationships between the characters are very real. Reading these books feels like returning to catch up with old friends who happen to dig up trouble an awful lot.
Beth NC
Maybe this is one you have to work your way into the series to really like it. For a quick read it was a cute book, but after reading the description I expected a little more depth in the plot and the characters....Although, going by the title... maybe not! Speaking of the title, there was wonderful mouth watering descriptions of chocolate confections and very interesting information about chocolate and chocolate making in the book.
Cindy
I found this book at my library in the "New" shelf. Being a chocoholic I thought it would be fun. This was the first time I read a book in this series or by this author. It was a fun, fast reading, murder mystery. There were a lot of characters and at times it was confusing, but I didn't worry about how they were related and enjoyed reading the book. I really liked the main character, Lee.
Alyce Joines
This was a departure from the earlier series which focused on relationships with a mystery thrown in. Instead, it is a more traditional mystery with emphasis on the means, motives and murderer. Not as light and fluffy as the first books which I loved, but a very respectable indication that Ms. Carl can continue the series as an entertaining view of Lee's life.
Krystle Kouture
What I liked: Very unique plot about an underground railroad for abused women. There were touches of humor, and it was paced perfectly.

What I didn't like: I went in expecting a culinary mystery, but that isn't what I got. Food plays a minimal role in the story and the chocolates are only briefly mentioned.
The secondary characters can be confusing
Trudi Jorda
Anything with chocolate is a-ok in my books! It's amurder mystery with several twisted plots- some easy to follow and some less so but our heroine Lee is a spirited , intelligent woman who makes many mistakes- mostly with words when she's nervous- but manages to save the day at the very end! Won't do spoilers but its a fun read!
Christine
There was a slightly different feel than previous books, a little more drama. Valentine's Day is here and hearts are everywhere. Chocolate is in the air and boy do I want some. What is crazy is Aunt Nettie is believed to have killed someone- which is plain ol crazy. Another wedding is on the horizon for Mike and Mercy- yah!
Bridget
A quick easy mystery about a chocolate shop manager helping to hide a woman from an abusive husband. When the town's "underground railroad" for endangered women loses track of the young woman, the real detecting begins.
Jane
Ok cozy. Loved the chocolate facts! This is the first of this series I have read. The mystery was ok but I think I would have enjoyed the characters more had I read the first 8 books.
Tina
Just OK. I know that this is in the middle of a series, so I was probably missing out on some of the storyline, but there just wasn't that much to the story.
Sally
When I want a book with no challenges, I read one of these. This was as good as the others and kept me guessing. What a great way to spend an afternoon!
Susan Lafaele
I've read all of them in the past two months. I loved the mind numbing of not having to think. Little bit of romance and little bit of mystery.
Kat
Nice n fluffy. Has a good twist at the end. Must admit didn't see it coming. I usually do!
  • Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery #7)
  • Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5)
  • Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #5)
  • Wicked Craving (Savannah Reid Mystery, #15)
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery #2)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as...more
More about JoAnna Carl...
The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1) The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery #2) The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery #3) The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery #8) The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery #5)

“If you want to look at a Detroit Free Press published since 2000," the reference librarian said, "you can use a database."
"I'll be right over."
"Come ahead. Unless you want to access it from your own computer."
"I can do that?"
"Certainly." The librarian explained how, and she didn't even sound condescending. Librarians are wonderful people.”
0 likes