Start by marking “The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)

The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery #9)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,029 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
The Chocolate Cupid Killings: A Chocoholic Mystery
Published October 6th 2009 by NAL Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Cupid Killings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Cupid Killings

Linda
Feb 15, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge, bingo
Another good entry in the chocoholic series, this time set around Valentine's day (although the hairnet ladies are already making Easter candy). There were a lot of secrets between Lee and Joe this time which I didn't like but I hoped all would be revealed by the end and it was. Good mystery and I even caught on to some things before Lee did.
Kari
Feb 20, 2013 Kari rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2013
A cozy mystery from the mystery box!

I have a tendency to want to read a holiday-themed mystery around the holiday, so when I read the blurb on this one that Valentine is the first person to turn up dead, in February, it seemed like the perfect pick.

I have not read other books in the Chocoholic series, and I think this one is about 10 books in. So for all that, I expected Lee to be a bit more of a sophisticated sleuth. She deferred to the police an awful lot. Ironic that that bothered me, since
Carol
Jun 18, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
Pretty good story and a quick read but I don't know if I liked it enough. This is a series and I started about 9 books in so maybe I'll go back and start with the first book and see if I enjoy the stories any more that way. My mouth was watering as they talked about making the super good chocolate candy to sell in the shop. I'll have to go there they give a free sample to every visitor. : )
Margaret Klein
Mar 02, 2017 Margaret Klein rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
What fun. A chocolate mystery set in a West Michigan summer resort in winter. I feel like I know every street! There is just one little detail that threw me. A ring was found with FSC on it. A class ring. Could be a good clue. However, the author missed another possible college. Ferris State also in West Michigan. Nonetheless, Lee Woodyard who is the manager of her family's chocolate shop, manages to keep her head as she explores various plot twists in this small town right around Valentine's Da ...more
Christel Reynolds
Feb 25, 2017 Christel Reynolds rated it liked it
I liked this one better than the last. Fun for the holiday. I have ordered another one
Danni
Feb 04, 2017 Danni rated it really liked it
I wanted to read a book for Valentines day. This book was fun.
Robin
Oct 17, 2016 Robin rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Much better than the last one. It kept me guessing until the very end.
Syrdarya
Sep 01, 2013 Syrdarya rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, michigan
A private detective named Derrick Valentine turns up at TenHuis Chocolade, and he's trying to locate a woman who's living in hiding. After seeing the picture Valentine shows her, Lee identifies the woman as Pamela, who is currently working for the chocolate shop but is a member of the "underground railroad" for abused women. Lee refuses to help Valentine, and later he turns up dead. When Pamela vanishes shortly afterwards, Lee is determined to get to the bottom of things.

Another pretty good entr
Jenn
Jun 02, 2016 Jenn rated it liked it
Are these getting worse? I kinda feel like they are. I'm not sure I'd continue reading if my library didn't have them. They are super quick though, so at least there's that.

I really don't like Joe all that much. Lee isn't my favorite either. Joe keeps SO MANY THINGS from Lee that it drives me crazy. I couldn't deal with a husband that was that secretive. Especially when he doesn't need to be. Lee kept her share of things from Joe in this one too, but, to be fair, she can never find him. He neve
Laura Beasley
Feb 09, 2014 Laura Beasley rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Mary Ann
I was so pleasantly surprised with this book that I gave it 4 stars. I expected more fluff and little plot but was wrong. Surprises and loved the way the author tied it all together. The tips and information on chocolate were interesting and just enough information. Lee works in a chocolate shop that her aunt owns and they are helping a woman brought to them thru the Underground Railroad. She and her aunt end up finding 2 dead bodies and the mystery broadens. Also a rich man who is under investi ...more
Susan
Dec 06, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Manager of her family's chocolate shop, Lee Woodyard is a little nervous about employing women from an underground railroad that takes abused women in danger of their lives to safety under alternate identities. She's shocked when a private investigator comes looking for their newest hire, but even more shocked when the investigator is killed in the chocolate shop's back alley. Lee's aunt Nettie is concerned with smuggling the woman to safety, but once she is back in the undercover system, agrees ...more
Laura Salas
Nov 28, 2011 Laura Salas rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, mystery
Mary
Feb 15, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
Diane Heath
Dec 15, 2016 Diane Heath rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Not sure how I missed this one. It did seem familiar but not enough to spoil the plot line.
kimyunalesca
Aug 16, 2014 kimyunalesca rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I like the chocolate trivias and this book goes by fast. Justice served quite instantaneously (almost) all those secret investigations finally came to use..I saw some words repeat on page 173 not sure if it's a typo or just the character's nervous error whatever.

The suspect twist sorta surprised me.

There are times I schemed through the descriptive parts and just let the characters convos speak to me, guide me what it's like and let me know wth is going on haha
Underwood Family
Feb 09, 2012 Underwood Family rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series. Yes, it's partly because my husband's family is from the same part of Michigan where the series is set so it feels familiar. But mostly it's because Carl manages to write books which are light without also being fluffy. They're not gory or graphic and all the relationships between the characters are very real. Reading these books feels like returning to catch up with old friends who happen to dig up trouble an awful lot.
Luffy
Apr 23, 2013 Luffy rated it did not like it
At last I'm able to recognize patterns in the versatile feel to the books in this series. This particular template is just like a puzzle, with everything fuzzy and incomplete until a big explanation at the end to ease all curiosities. It's a frustrating exercise to read a book like this. I cannot rate The Chocolate Cupid Killings very high, as I couldn't settle down and get cozy with the fluffy, domestic softness that this book lacked. Verily until next time.
Christine
May 11, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it
This series has always been one of the fluffier ones--the most serious problem Lee usually had was when her tongue got twisted on her and she said some word she didn't mean. This particular book takes a decidedly sinister turn (for a cozy, at least) with battered women, Mob bosses, and corrupt businessmen figuring into its plot. A solid entry in this series, and a welcome change of pace. I hope it's indicative of what we can expect from JoAnna Carl in the future of this series!
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 Mark Baker rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2010
A PI shows up at TenHuis Chocolade looking for a woman that Lee and her aunt are helping hide in town. Then the PI is killed in the ally behind the shop. I love the characters and enjoyed the book. But at the end, I realized that several major plot points were left dangling, which was really frustrating.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Foxy Grandma
Maybe this is one you have to work your way into the series to really like it. For a quick read it was a cute book, but after reading the description I expected a little more depth in the plot and the characters....Although, going by the title... maybe not! Speaking of the title, there was wonderful mouth watering descriptions of chocolate confections and very interesting information about chocolate and chocolate making in the book.
Connie
Apr 04, 2013 Connie rated it it was amazing
I am a chocoholic, and this series is great! This one was great fun because Lee Woodyard's husband, Joe Woodyard, is involved with this mystery just as deep as Lee this time. As usual a delightful read, full of great characters and humor. I love how the chocolate making is described and it just makes your mouth water for a great truffle or bonbon, which I usually make sure I have on hand when reading this series! or of course any book with chocolate on the side is a perfect way to spend a day!
Christine
Aug 18, 2011 Christine rated it liked it
There was a slightly different feel than previous books, a little more drama. Valentine's Day is here and hearts are everywhere. Chocolate is in the air and boy do I want some. What is crazy is Aunt Nettie is believed to have killed someone- which is plain ol crazy. Another wedding is on the horizon for Mike and Mercy- yah!
Alyce Joines
Oct 17, 2009 Alyce Joines rated it really liked it
This was a departure from the earlier series which focused on relationships with a mystery thrown in. Instead, it is a more traditional mystery with emphasis on the means, motives and murderer. Not as light and fluffy as the first books which I loved, but a very respectable indication that Ms. Carl can continue the series as an entertaining view of Lee's life.
Trudi Jorda
Apr 13, 2013 Trudi Jorda rated it really liked it
Anything with chocolate is a-ok in my books! It's amurder mystery with several twisted plots- some easy to follow and some less so but our heroine Lee is a spirited , intelligent woman who makes many mistakes- mostly with words when she's nervous- but manages to save the day at the very end! Won't do spoilers but its a fun read!
Cindy
Jan 01, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it
I found this book at my library in the "New" shelf. Being a chocoholic I thought it would be fun. This was the first time I read a book in this series or by this author. It was a fun, fast reading, murder mystery. There were a lot of characters and at times it was confusing, but I didn't worry about how they were related and enjoyed reading the book. I really liked the main character, Lee.
Theresa Malloy
Mar 10, 2016 Theresa Malloy rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-food
In this one, a worker at the Chocolate Shop is part of a underground railroad for battered women. When a private detective shows up asking about the wife of a battered mob wife, the chocolate worker goes on the run. In the process two people turn up dead, and Lee and her chocolatiers start to wonder if this woman is who she's claiming to be. Engaging, fast read. Hard to put down.
Krystle Kouture
Feb 09, 2012 Krystle Kouture rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy
What I liked: Very unique plot about an underground railroad for abused women. There were touches of humor, and it was paced perfectly.

What I didn't like: I went in expecting a culinary mystery, but that isn't what I got. Food plays a minimal role in the story and the chocolates are only briefly mentioned.
The secondary characters can be confusing
Bridget
Mar 06, 2013 Bridget rated it really liked it
A quick easy mystery about a chocolate shop manager helping to hide a woman from an abusive husband. When the town's "underground railroad" for endangered women loses track of the young woman, the real detecting begins.
Brett Bydairk
May 09, 2014 Brett Bydairk rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another in this cozy series by the pseudonymous Eve Sandstrom.
Lee gets caught up in an 'underground railroad' tat helps abused women escape their husbands, and ends up with two bodies.
For a summer destination, Warner Pier has lot of murders.
Tina
Jan 11, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
The Chocolate Cupid Killings by JoAnna Carl is very interesting...it keeps wondering who did....
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Arsenic and Old Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #3)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #11)
  • Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as
More about JoAnna Carl...

A Chocoholic Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery, #11)

“If you want to look at a Detroit Free Press published since 2000," the reference librarian said, "you can use a database."
"I'll be right over."
"Come ahead. Unless you want to access it from your own computer."
"I can do that?"
"Certainly." The librarian explained how, and she didn't even sound condescending. Librarians are wonderful people.”
0 likes