3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition
Published March 23rd 2009 by Wiley (first published 2005)

Jenn Raley
The most important way to prepare for any standardized test is to practice, practice, practice.

This book contains a tremendous number of practice questions for all the various types of questions found on the GMAT.

The GMAT Review includes a very straightforward explanation of each type of question, as well as some general suggestions on how to approach each type of question.

I also used the Kaplan GMAT Premier to study, and found that book to have better explanations of the practice question answe...more
Ruth
The review sections covered everything necessary for the test and explained things pretty well before they gave you a quiz over it. The book definitely prepared me well and I would buy it again
Kimbo
Haven't taken the GMAT yet, but I have to review this book because it kind of sucks and it's frustrating. I have found more than several misprints, and just some weird information in there that just isn't right. I bought this because I wanted at least a feel for what I am going to be up against when I take the actual GMAT, but I can't believe how there are misprints and inaccuracies in this book. How will people be truly prepared, if that's the case?!

The math review is helpful, but there is litt...more
Leonard
A must have if you plan on taking the GMAT.

Make sure that you buy the Princeton Review or Kaplan Review as well. This book alone will not get the job done. Primarily, I used this book as reference material. In other words, it's only use for me were the practice questions - which are taken from old tests.

The answer explanations - while correct - are not helpful. The GMAT is a timed test and if you try and solve every math problem the way the book describes you WILL run out of time. The same is tr...more
Abdurrahman Al-Qahtani
A great "practice" guide, with lots and lots of questions and their answers, explained, which are very similar to those you get in the real exam. It also lists briefly some good strategies for each of the GMAT sections. On the other hand, I don't believe this can be a great "study" or "prep" guide simply because it lacks tools and techniques on how to improve your score and learn how to do better.
For serious GMAT takers, I recommend this book only after getting another source on GMAT preparation...more
Haneen Alshujairy
Had to give up on this one, go out and buy the 13th edition.
It has basic explanations and lots of practice questions which is exactly what I want but since they keep renewing the GMAT exam a couple of weeks later I found out that there is a new section called "integrated reasoning" that was added to the exam, so now it's one essay question, one integrated reasoning instead of two essay questions.
It doesn't change a lot but I'd have to recommend buying the newer version since the old one only m...more
Lowell
I purchased Kaplan 2010-2011 GMAT Premier to study GMAT concepts (EXCELLENT resource for techniques and application), then the GMAT Review 12th Edition (with 800 actual test questions) to practice the Kaplan concepts.

Result: I did better on the GMAT than I could have ever imagined. I highly recommend using Kaplan for the concepts, and the GMAT Review for practice.
Kim
This book has testing, but I ended up skipping the "study" section. It's explanations were the equivalent of
What is 2+2
4 - Because 2 + 2 is 4.

Not the best example, but the point is they just basically restated the correct answer as the explanation.

But, I think this book is a necessary study material because its written by the test makers
Kristine
Basically a book of prior GMAT questions to study and review. Good to use in conjunction with the Princeton Review book.
Amiruddin Nagri
Jul 31, 2007 Amiruddin Nagri rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Prospective MBAs
Shelves: personality, book
One of the best MBA book written to date, I will be preparing for GMAT and this is a must and top of the list to read
Camille Millecam
The most helpful book of all! This book did more for me than any other resource!
Kyle Jones
With few new questions and none for the new section, it's a weak upgrade
Allisonperkel
the standard - tons of questions and very little else. Very much worth it.
Dan Schiff
So many amazing practice questions! Data sufficiency still sucks though.
Colin
Nov 13, 2008 Colin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
stay away from this book. it makes you feel dumb.
Sam Hyde
Aug 27, 2007 Sam Hyde added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to take the GMAT?
Reading it right now. Pretty exciting stuff. ;)
G3e
It's the best practice guide for gmat
Anthony Chan
finally finished the 12th edition.
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Franco
Franco marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review 2015 with Online Question Bank and Exclusive Video MBA Survival Kit Mba Survival Kit  Quantitative Skills Interactive