Start by marking “Out on the Rim (Arthur Case Wu, #2)” as Want to Read:
Out on the Rim (Arthur Case Wu, #2)

Out on the Rim (Arthur Case Wu #2)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  306 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Charged with delivering five million dollars to a Philippine terrorist, Booth Stallings enlists a team of assistants to help perform the important job, but the group decides to steal the money, instead. Reissue. K.
Published November 1st 1991 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Out on the Rim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out on the Rim

Garry Geer
Classic Thomas that brings together of his stock characters including Overby, Wu, Durant and Georgia Blue. There are double-crosses, dry black wit, and a sort of soiled heroism.

What strikes me is that a few decades back he was seen as the premiere story teller in America, yet now, very few people remember him. It says something about the nature of narrative, consumerism, and the ongoing grind of the market..

Tyler Collison
Jun 18, 2013 Tyler Collison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe this guy went out of print. Really, why? I've admittedly had a small sample size of just this book, but he's up there with some of my favorites already.

As for this particular book, it reads as smoothly as a movie. It's entirely driven by the plot, but the plot is constantly entertaining, as Thomas incorporates humor and wit subtly. The backbone of the plot is pretty comical in and of itself: Everyone but the protagonist is essentially an antagonist; no one trusts anyone. And each
Coralis Kriss
Jul 26, 2012 Coralis Kriss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad had this on his bookshelf. It's hard for me to imagine I made it to my late thirties without ever having heard of Ross Thomas. But I grabbed Out on the Rim as I was getting on a plane to Shanghai. The only bad thing was I read it start-to-finish from the minute the plane took off. I even managed to eat an airplane meal without putting the book down.

Other reviewers have detailed this one well enough, but I will say that I just cannot imagine anyone having anything but fun reading this romp
Al
Mar 15, 2012 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A complicated tale of a group of colorful grifters at work in the mid-80s Philippines. Cross, doublecross, and triplecross occur as each of the miscreants schemes to get his (or her) share of a $ 5 million bribe originally destined for a Communist guerilla on the island of Cebu. Think Elmore Leonard with a dash of Carl Hiaasen. The logic is a little hard to follow some times, but it's very entertaining.
jen
Aug 02, 2008 jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is what the guys from "Ocean's Eleven" would be if they weren't so glitzy and fun lovin'. Great fun, but still gritty and humorous, as far as con men go...These guys are really just looking to make a living.

High stars for being a well-paced story with interesting characters. A shelf-worthy book (at least on my shelf!)
Barbara Kennedy
Feb 16, 2010 Barbara Kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: john tredeaux
Never read this author before, but took it on faith as he was recommended by Elmore Leonard, Robert Parker, and Donald Westlake. It was very fun, at least in the end. Great characters playing one-up con tricks on each other in SE Asia.
Cera
Jan 01, 2012 Cera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so sleep deprived I should probably not try to write a review, but -- I liked this a lot, it was very funny, and Georgia was quite awesome. I think the Wu & Durant books are my favourites by Thomas.
Msatyakima
I LOVE it when I find a Ross Thomas I haven't read. One of the most literate writers to write thriller/mystery/political novels in the 70's and 80's, and still honored today as a true treasure.
John
Jul 09, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully rendered con in an exotic locale with memorably drawn characters and snappy, witty dialogue. Highly entertaining and beautifully paced. And so I began to consume his entire oeuvre.
Michael
Feb 03, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It would be hard to pick a "Best" with Ross Thomas. It would be harder yet for me to pick a favorite, but if you said "Pick One. I can only read one." This would be the one I'd pick.
Tom
A bit overly cute for my taste, similar to the related Chinaman's Chance in that respect. YMMV (many readers dig the Wu/Durant novels). The plot is mind-bendingly complex.
Xenophon Hendrix
Mar 24, 2009 Xenophon Hendrix rated it really liked it
I recently reread this. It's still as good as I remembered. There are lots of twists, schemes, and hidden agendas. The characterization is strong.
Lynn
Feb 07, 2010 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
book about grifters, written in the 80s. Good, worth reading but not great. I am reading a much better grifter book now -Hot Plastic.
Joanna
Dec 08, 2009 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All his books I read so far were winners - interesting characters, engaging story, and no pretense. Great suspense novels.
D A Barnes
Oct 06, 2012 D A Barnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
unpredictable characters and an intricate plot, told with a sense of humor - very entertaining.
Richard Bradley
Apr 28, 2010 Richard Bradley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Before Chinaman's Chance, which I read. I expect only the best in Out on the Rim.
Nickonoda
Feb 22, 2009 Nickonoda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top 10, the other reviews do it justice, just read it =)
Cathy
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Waiting in the stacks
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Klaas Mansier
Klaas Mansier rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Oliver
Oliver rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Andrew Moreno
Andrew Moreno marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Peter Nowakowski
Peter Nowakowski marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Tim Carter
Tim Carter marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Ray I
Ray I marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Ian Featherstone
Ian Featherstone marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Erik Carlstrom
Erik Carlstrom marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
David Camma
David Camma rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
  • Open Sources
  • The Gabriel Set-Up (Modesty Blaise Graphic Novel Titan #1)
  • Tango Briefing
  • The Collected Short Stories
  • The Naked Detective
  • Gary Benchley, Rock Star
  • J.D. Robb CD Collection 7: Visions in Death, Survivor in Death, Origin in Death
  • The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep (Evan Tanner, #1)
  • Linda Howard Collection #01: Midnight Rainbow/Diamond Bay
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • What's So Funny? (Dortmunder, #14)
Ross Thomas was an American writer of crime fiction. He is best known for his witty thrillers that expose the mechanisms of professional politics. He also wrote several novels under the pseudonym Oliver Bleeck about professional go-between Philip St. Ives.

Thomas served in the Philippines during World War II. He worked as a public relations specialist, reporter, union spokesman, and political strat
More about Ross Thomas...

Arthur Case Wu (3 books)
  • Chinaman's Chance (Arthur Case Wu, #1)
  • Voodoo, Ltd. (Arthur Case Wu, #3)