Start by marking “Blood Hunters” as Want to Read:
Blood Hunters

Blood Hunters

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In the middle of the Mexican jungle a small scientific team prepare to embark on an exploration of the world's deepest sinkhole. 3000 miles away, Joe McDonald's father is arrested for murder. Joe and his friend Giles are desperate to prove his innocence. Soon Joe suspects that a predator is on the loose.
Published 2009 by Faber and Faber

To ask other readers questions about Blood Hunters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Hunters

Jason H
Mar 23, 2016 Jason H rated it it was ok
I feel bad rating this book at 2 stars, but as I've lamented in the past, there's no option for half-stars. Blood Hunters is a perfectly okay book for its target audience of tween boys and girls into some slightly science fiction-y horror-y monster YA. The main character is a tween boy, the bad guys are lizard snake monster bird things, and there are some easily predicted plot twists for good measure. The book is definitely British, what with the cricket and such, and that's fine.

Really, it was
Sophie Lewy
Jul 11, 2014 Sophie Lewy rated it liked it
Personally I believe this book is perfect for anyone around the age of 12/13. There is a boyish feel to it at the beginning but as you get to the end it's more unisex. There is not as much gore as expected, which makes it suitable for younger children. It was a nice quick read and was interesting, wouldn't highly recommend it for anyone above age of 14 but would be a fantastic read for anyone below that age.
Geoff Lynas
Sep 30, 2015 Geoff Lynas rated it it was ok
The style and language seem appropriate for the target age, which I assume is 8-12, maybe young teen. Not so sure about the graphic violence. Only the preposterousness of some of the later action takes the experience of reading this out of the worryingly potentially disturbing into oh-yeah-right like thats ever going to happen. When I was in the correct demographic for this book, this book would not have been available in my library. Just shows how times change. A useful random research read for ...more
Jordan Wareham
Jun 30, 2015 Jordan Wareham rated it liked it
Read in a day, been a long time since I've done that. Ludicrous story line, yet still a page turner. The characters in the book aren't fleshed out like they are in a normal book, but it is aimed at teenagers (I got a copy free in Year 7). Still, it's your typical apocalyptic story which is focused on a mutation and not Zombies...
Wilde Sky
May 15, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it liked it
A scientist brings back a deadly sample from a Mexican expedition.

I found the story quite interesting, but the writing was a bit clunky / repetitive / preachy also the last few chapters felt like ‘fillers’.
Milo
Feb 08, 2015 Milo rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young teenagers
I think that it is an okay story but a bit boring at times. Generally I enjoyed reading it though.
Ben
Jul 07, 2013 Ben rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, fiction, read-yes
Almost didn't finish the book, but was just intrigued enough to persevere. Totally not worth it. Not even close to real premise, two-dimensional characters, unbelievable action and debilitating wounds shrugged off almost immediately.
Jimbob
Nov 16, 2010 Jimbob rated it liked it
Very thrilling and tense, really tense. Theres such a big build up to the ending and your always included in what happens. But it all just happens at the end theres no hiding or anything it just comes as if it was rushed.
Quintaka
Oct 31, 2010 Quintaka rated it it was ok
It wasn't very good. It had potential but was poorly written and not plausible in many parts. The end seemed very rushed and in general it was very cheesy and sort of boring
Saima
Aug 19, 2013 Saima rated it liked it
This book was quite interesting. It was not too gory, and it makes you think about the possibility of unidentified creatures lurking around. It was good to read.
Funky
Dec 06, 2012 Funky rated it it was ok
It's a kid / YA book, I read it in one day and it's completely predictable, generic and trite from an adults point of view, but a kid might like it.
Ashley
Feb 26, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it
This book was a really good read i got quite into it and enjoyed it so i would recommend it to a few people who like small horror type books.
Moony
Nov 07, 2010 Moony rated it really liked it
This is a really interesting book and i reccomend this book to all readers who like sci-fi and not too much horror. If your 9+ read it!!!!
Sam O
Apr 23, 2010 Sam O rated it it was amazing
They're coming... from the TOILETs OF EVERYONES HOUSE!!!! Nobody knows what or who they are but people are dying, fast.
Ellie
Feb 09, 2013 Ellie rated it liked it
i read this book when i was like 11 and it scared the shit out of me omg
Ahmedbashar
Aug 31, 2011 Ahmedbashar rated it it was amazing
Jasleen Mann
Jasleen Mann rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Cynthia Saviano
Cynthia Saviano rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Callum Olley
Callum Olley rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Schmibbsie Dibble
Schmibbsie Dibble rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Erika Boulton
Erika Boulton rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Jenni
Jenni added it
Feb 13, 2016
Daniel Bush
Daniel Bush rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Adam Foley
Adam Foley rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2016
Connor
Connor rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Harrison Unstead
Harrison Unstead rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Steve Voake is the author of all the Daisy Dawson books, as well as two novels for older readers. He lives in Somerset, England.
More about Steve Voake...