Start by marking “Ginger Snaps” as Want to Read:
Ginger Snaps

Ginger Snaps

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  3,328 ratings  ·  128 reviews
Ginger and Shannon are best mates, but when they befriend lonely Emily, everything changes. Even the saxophone-playing boy in the trilby hat can't help - he's part of the problem ...Are Ginger and Shannon drifting apart or can they stay best friends for ever?
Published February 1st 2009 by Puffin Books (first published June 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ginger Snaps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ginger Snaps

Ali
Third best book out of the series really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really real ...more
Caitriona
Sometimes I am amazed by what I was reading when I was younger. I was a Jacqueline Wilson superfan from around Year Five onwards, and was regularly reading books about alcoholism, divorce, mental illness, sibling rivalry, bullying and teenage pregnancy. This kind of stuff would depress me very quickly today, but I just seemed to take it in my stride.

When I got a little older, Cathy Cassidy was my next port of call. Believe it or not I had, at a younger age, begun to read 'Indigo Blue' - but coul
Sofia
I love Gingersnaps, probably because it has such a strong message. It's really helped me. Starting Secondary School, you have to be really careful with who you become friends with. I've found my real friends and we're all so alike we're meant to be friends :) I would read this book because it has really strong messages about friendship.
Annanya Pandey
So it starts with a little fat and pudgy girl with pigtails and freckles and carrot coloured hair named Ginger. She has no one to share her secrets and pains with and is stuck in elementary school. To top it all she is bullied by a gang of cool girls. She is the total opposite of her elder sister who was much cooler. Two years later she changes her school and suddenly she's thin and the cool one all because a girl named Shannon whom boys followed like dogs chose her. Shannon is supposedly her be ...more
Jolie
I am a HUGE fan of Cathy Cassidy, and this book did not disappoint! Honestly, Ginger Snaps is not one of my favourites, but it was still an amazing read!

Cathy's writing style is one to be admired. She maintains an amazing plot and interesting characters throughout all her books. Ginger is flawed, but she maintains this kindness about her. I loved how it pans out that her best friend is a total beach.

Guys deserve a new paragraph. I LOVE SAM!! OH MY GOD, THERE ARE A SHORTAGE OF WORDS TO DESCRIBE
Richa
A very nice book, I like Ginger Snap, I don't know why she hated her name, it's a beautiful name. Everyone should read this book, this book teaches you the importance of friendship and kindness
Zoë
My definite favourite Cathy book of all time. I think it's because of the tribly's, converse and saxophone thing going on...very me!
Becky
I only recently discovered Cathy Cassidy's work, and I feel as though my ten year old self has missed out on a wonderful series of books. Despite the targeted age group being much younger than me, I found the book highly interesting and read it all in one sitting. The style of writing was simplistic due to the age of reader it was intended for, yet not overly so, making it easy to read without feeling frustrated. It was refreshing to come across something so simple and fun, and I intend to read ...more
Faye
Storyline

Ginger-snaps is a book about a girl called Ginger, who once was a ginger, bullied girl, until Shannon moved into school. She picked Ginger out as a friend, made her look nice, made her a pretty, popular girl like her. But when Shannon is helping Emily, a new friend, to become popular like them, Ginger feels that Shannon doesn't want her any more-- just Emily. On top of that, Shannon thinks that Ginger's crush, Sam Taylor, is a freak and keeps calling him names. Things aren't going too
Loz
I started to become a fan of Cathy Cassidy at some point during secondary school. Mentally, I always was (and still am) a late bloomer so reading a book meant for eleven year olds but discovering it at fifteen didn't come as much of a surprise to me. In the past, I was a fan of Jacqueline Wilson who mainly focuses around disability, mental illness, parents divorce/divorcing, domestic violence, child abuse...the list of depressing topics just went on. I found Cassidy's books to be a lot less heav ...more
Alsie
Daisy
My favourite book of all time. I love how this book touches on being pushed around by other people, scared of what other people think and primary school bullying. Cathy Cassidy knows how to make things sentimental and memorable, without getting soppy or depressing. I love how Cathy writes; quick, with a bubbly and sparkly choice of words, and a little memorable thing; like the fox, or blue lemonade. Gorgeous book. I have read it 11 times!
Jigmet
Ginger was a sad, unpopular girl who got bullied a lot. But in middle schools, she became friends with a new ,pretty girl, Shanon. Shanon made Ginger a popular and pretty girl. But when Emily came, a lonely, unpopular girl, things changed. Shanon was also trying to make Emily popular. Ginger thought she didn't want to be friends with her anymore. Will they become best friends again? This book was really well thought and written well. The author expressed things well and specially the problems.
Jenny
Awesome! I read this ages ago but the memory of it has never left my mind. I read it around Christmas time when it was snowing, and I can honestly say that they were some of the happiest days that I have ever spent with a book.
I envy anyone who still has the pleasure of reading this, because I am sure that you will enjoy it! Cannot praise it more.
Onika
Well, what can I say? I loved it. I am a big fan of Cathy Cassidy, so here goes nothing ...
I thought it was really great the way she trnasformed from a loser to a cool girl, I thought Chelsie Martin was mean, Emily Croft was a little annoying sometimes but nice, Shannon was soooo bossy, Sam Taylor was MEGA annoying and not cool in the slightest bit, Ginger was a good person but a bit whiny and deluded to like Sam Taylor, the things she wears to school are a bit past their sell-by date, but it ha
Tiffany Fan
Bleagh! I mean the plot is really nice but jeez their lifestyle is WRONG! No dating or "love" at age 12-13! That is PLAIN WRONG! And all they do is act popular and cool. I think Cathy's focus on friendship is really good but she should focus more on how people SHOULD NOT BE COOL AND POPULAR.
Mikayla Link
Good book but her characters are described as 13 years old, when they have the maturity and lifestyle of an 18 year old.
I think she needs to think about the storyline more. I also don't think her books are easy for 6+ children to read.
Becky Hancox
I really enjoyed this book because it gave the message to not be afraid of being yourself even if others want you to change and that you learn from your past and should not be ashamed by it. This is my favourite Cathy Cassidy book.
Ciara *I love Harry Potter!*
For those who haven't read the book... *No spoilers*

This book is basically about a girl named Ginger Brown. She lives with her parents and older sister. At the beginning of the book, Ginger looks back on a bad memory from when she was younger, and since then, she has completely changed; she's even best friends with the "coolest girl in school."
But a girl from Ginger's bad memory's (she was the only one who helped her through the tough time) best friend has moved, leaving her sad and alone. Now
Wenyu
This is a really great book.
It has a lot of strong message about the life in it.
It tells you that the life is not as easy as you think it would be.
It tells you the importance of being honest to yourself, to your friends, to your family or perhaps someone you have a connection with?
Anyway, it also tells you what a true best friend really means.
I learned that the true best friend is the kind of friends who will listen to you, who understands you, cares about you, who doesn't judge or blame you. Mo
♪♬Farheen♪♬
This is one of my favorite Cathy Cassidy books.
It gives a message about standing up for yourself and just being who you are.
Thanks to Cathy for another amazing book!
Libby Foreman
I really loved this book, it is one of my favourites. I adore the writing style and it was really easy to get sucked into the story. I'm also in love with Sam Taylor!
Zoe
I loved this book so much!!!! The book is about a girl called Ginger, and for obvious reasons! Her hair is orange!!!
Ginger was a loner at the start of her school years, she used to be overweight and piggy. When she envited everyone to her birthday, they all teased her when she fell over on the iceskates. But next year she comes back to school with a major weightloss and also she makes a new friend, but she's not one the loyalist of friends though.
Then ginger meets a boy called Sam Taylor, and ye
Lucy-anne
Dec 27, 2013 Lucy-anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my all time favourite books and I continue to read it over and over again, it never seems to grow old.
Gingersnaps is the contemporary tale of a girl named Ginger, who set herself the mission to become popular, ditching the puppy fat and frizzy hair in favour of make-up and hair straighteners. One day she meets a quirky boy, with tipex covered trousers and an unusual taste in hats. Sam Taylor is one of the key characters in making Ginger realise what she really needs in life (with
Lyndee
I remember reading this at 12 or 13 maybe and thinking the protagonist was practically my twin! A lovely book that i would recommend to any teenage girls Cassidy creates not only characters that are extremely relatable, but also ones that stay with the reader. A lovely, simple story once again.
Isra
so cool, re-read this and brings back lots of memories LAAAVVV it
Fireflylights
One of my favourite books from Cathy Cassidy but I love Dizzy too.
Brenda Mcneill
I love Gingersnaps best book ever!!!! love Cathy read all her books
Shareefa_r
A great,well written book filled with emotions,love and plenty of heartwarming lessons
Jaden (Potterhead Daydreams)
  • My Sister Jodie
  • Six Steps to a Girl (Luke and Eve, #1)
  • An Urgent Message Of Wowness
  • Sparkling Steps (Magic Kitten)
  • Missing Judy
I was born in 1962 in Coventry (scarily ancient, I know). I wrote my first picture book for my little brother when I was eight or nine. I loved making comics, too - pages and pages of picture stories, features and competitions.

I went to Art College in Liverpool, then got a job as fiction editor on the fab and legendary Jackie magazine.

I have worked as agony aunt on Shout magazine and also as an ar
More about Cathy Cassidy...
Scarlett Dizzy Indigo Blue Lucky Star Cherry Crush (The Chocolate Box Girls, #1)