The Harry Bosch Novels: The Black Echo / The Black Ice / The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #1-3)

The Harry Bosch Novels: The Black Echo / The Black Ice / The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch #1-3)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  1,394 ratings  ·  68 reviews
For the first time in one volume, the three novels that introduced Michael Connelly's great LAPD homicide detective, maverick Hieronymous (Harry) Bosch. The Black Echo (Winner of the Edgar Award for Best First Novel) For Harry Bosch-hero, loner, nighthawk-the body stuffed in a drainpipe off Mulholland Drive isn't just another statistic. This one is personal. Billy Meadows...more
Published (first published September 13th 2000)

Linda
The third in the Harry Bosch series is one of the best of the entire thirteen currently available (yes, I've read them all). This entry has everything. Hard boiled Harry is the defendant in a civil trial, the plaintiff the widow of a suspected serial killer, "The Dollmaker", whom Harry shot to death four years ago. The plaintiff's attorney is a star, Honey "Money" Chandler, whose trial record is legendary and who is characterizing Harry as a coldblooded rogue cop. Harry is stuck with the unimagi...more
Phil Schaffer
This is the first time I have read Michael Connelly and I am very happy that I did. This collection contains the first three books in the what is called the Harry Bosch series. The author delves deep into the development of Bosch's character and motivations for the things he does.

Bosch is a Homicide Detective in the Hollywood branch of the LAPD. He is essentially a loner, having antagonized most of the department brass but is very effective at his job. The author also spends many pages describi...more
Arleen
After seeing the movie The Lincoln Lawyer, I decided to delve into Michael Connelly books. I have not been disappointed.

The Black Echo features LAPD detective Hieronymous "Harry" Bosch. Bosch discovers that a dead body found in a drainage pipe is a one-time Vietnam comrade and a complex plot begins!

The Black Ice is the second in a series that continues to follow LAPD detective Hieronymous Bosch. There's turns in the plot, and plenty of action, describing life in Los Angeles and Mexican border t...more
Dana
I just finished this trilogy of books by Michael Connelly. Bill and I both like the Harry Bosch novels. These three are in somewhat in order although each book will stand on its own. My favorite of the three was the last one, The Concrete Blonde. Good reading, well written, keeps you guessing!
Tim Smith
In this collection of three novels, we get a portrait of a man scarred by life and war, yet not broken by what has. happened in his past. Harry Bosch could have easily descended into a caricature of a broken cop with a heart of gold. However, Connelly avoids that by showing the struggles that Harry endures as he fights his demons and some of his self-centered colleagues while trying to do the right thing. One thing that distracted me from enjoying this volume was the formatting errors and typos...more
Mark Mallett
Maybe not quite 4 stars but again the 5-star system doesn't allow enough fineness, and 3 certainly is more wrong than 4.

This book contains the first three novels of the Harry Bosch detective series, now apparently numbering 17 novels, by Michael Connelly. It got it at a deep sale price, designed to get people to buy more of the series if they like it. That's a good tactic that's used a lot, though I've seen people do it wrong, e.g., by offering a book from the middle of the series. At least I co...more
Stef
Writerlibrarian
Black Echo: Inaugural novel in the Harry Bosch series. I'd read it years ago when it first came out in French in the early 90's. I was very fuzzy about the plot. I kinda remember that the bad guy was someone from inside. Still I remembered the twist just before the last chapter. Harry Bosch becomes even better with age just like very good wine. His opening bow is full of angst and penned up anger. We kinda get an image of the man but he still have much, much to offer down the road. Connelly is a...more
Rohit
Just completed the first one of the series - The Black Echo
My recently rekindled interest in noir fiction is completely in line with this Connelly novel, and hopefully, with the other 16. Harry Bosch is a rugged cop with LAPD, with a past and a penchant for breach of compliance. He is a war vet with psychological issues, and a tunnel rat experience. A mysterious body turns up in a pipe, which turns out to be a fellow vet and Harry kick-starts a series of investigations, culminating in the unveil...more
Karen
I have read nearly all of Michael Connelly books via audiobooks over the past two years since I discovered him and his character Harry Bosch. I have my favorite reader but have enjoyed all his books so much that I kept going back to buy another one. Recommend if you love crime mystery.
Renee Alloy
Harry Bosch detective novels are the other series I thoroughly enjoy. His detective is smart, a bit down and out - or maybe a lot depending on the book. But I am pulled back to any of Michael Connelly stories because he really tells it well.
Walt
I am a huge Connelly fan, so I bought the trilogy book of Connelly's first collection of Harry Bosch novels, settled into the very first one of the series "The Black Echo" and enjoyed it as much as his present day stuff (The Closers, The Narrows, etc.). I have read the reviews where other Bosch fans think that this one fell flat. Well, I totally disagree.

I wish I would've been introduced to the Bosch series by reading this one from the start, but even as a backtracker, it was one of my favorite...more
Rebecca
I have read almost all of Connelly's books now, and I thoroughly enjoy them. Harry Bosch is an intriguing detective, with many flaws and problems. Thankfully, we the reader only have to sit back and watch him do battle in LA, the main squeeze in Harry's life, and not have to wallow in his problems too!
Connelly is another one of those writers who loves his city, and it shows! More importantly, his loves his home baseball team. Some might say this has nothing to do with his characters or plot, I...more
Mary Sue
Just finished The Black Echo and am looking forward to the other two in the set. Harry Bosch seems so real; smart and yet vulnerable; surrounded by the big city and yet lonely; willing to take advantage of the system but stands on firm moral ground. He is a former Viet Nam era tunnel rat who found his unique talents can be used in the homicide department, he just doesn't always play by their rules.
The Black Ice and The Concrete Blonde were also very good. Bosch seems like an old friend by now.
Pat Murray
Hey Rick The first dead person hailed from New Iberia, LA. This was the first Harry Bosch novel I have read. It obviously wasn't the first one of the series. You lose some of the character of the detective, so it is the story that has you keep on reading. I was left disappointed by the story compared to The Lincoln Lawyer by the same author. I will seek more of Connely's books but I will try to read them closer to the order they were written; to get more of who Harry Bosch is.
Bruno de Maremma
Great intro to a new detective series. I liked the first one best since it gave some insight into the activities of the vietnam soldiers who were tasked with cleaning out the tunnels running under villages in Vietnam once they were taken by the U.S. soldiers. Also, he writes really well about Los Angeles and makes you feel like you are there along with Harry trying to solve the crime. Nice flawed hero character with a core of integrity. An old device but the author does it well.
Kate
Dec 05, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like good prose and a good murder/legal/polic yarn
What can I say! Connelly is such a stylist and he keeps you waiting for more and more details as the pages turn. 'The Concrete Blonde' has enough twists and such a satisfying conclusion that you're lining up at the bookstore as soon as you've finished.

I've learned more about LA from Connelly than any Michelin guide.
Cathy DuPont
Uh,oh, forgot to write review.

Obviously I liked The Concrete Blonde with was the only book I read in this trilogy since I read the other two previously.

It was great, intricate investigation and liked Harry Bosch better in this book, than either of the first two. Perhaps he's growing on me.
Maggie
I love Bosch's character and Michael Connelly's writing. His crimes are inventive and not just gory or serial killer vicious. I like that I feel I know Bosch also. I do a lot of this series on audible books while driving and working around the house. Any of the Connelly Bosch novels are a good read.
Barbara
Between 4 and 5 stars for me. I didn't enjoy Black Echo and Black Ice as much as the Concrete Blonde. The Harry Bosch character is a great one - lonely, smart, flawed, but a good detective. If you are a fan of the genre, these are must reads. I look forward to continuing the series.
David
I was newcomer to Connelly and on the fence about him until the third novel in this omnibus, The Concrete Blonde, and it has made me a fan. If you read that one and find it not to your liking, then it's safe to say this author is just not your thing.
Matt
I must admit, I grew up loving detective stories. Though they can be a bit formulaic, I always had an affinity for the genre. The Harry Bosch novels are a good read. The main character is your classic snoop with a haunted past. Gotta love it.
Mary Ford
Michael Connelly has developed a compelling character in homicide detective Harry Bosch and it is enjoyable to watch him develop over several mystery novels. Good characters, great stories. Mysteries are my own form of brain candy... :)
Murphious
All three stories (The Black Echo, The Black Ice, and The Concrete Blonde) are excellent crime novels. None seemed formulaic; in each one there were differing ways of plot twisting or turning. Gets 4 1/2 stars if I could...
Kirsty Haining
Omnibus of the first three Harry Bosch mysteries.
Marty
The first three Harry Bosch novels deserve to be evaluated on their own, but my local library no longer stocks them individually. They are in this collection.
The Black Echo
The Black Ice
The Concrete Blonde
Lizzy Bevan
I love all Harry Bosch books. They are great police procedurals and Harry is such a tormented soul. Don't expect a mystery or a thriller, it's a straight police story and I really enjoyed it
Susan
I enjoyed all 3 of these books. I am on a Harry Bosch kick this summer. I sometimes find crime novels too graphic or gory but that is not a problem with Michael Connelly.
Stefanie
Finished #1 and #2 in the series...i think the stories are getting better as the series continues...
update...finished #3 today and it was by far my favorite of the three
Ryan Mishap
These collections are an economical way to try a new writer--often found at thrift store for even more savings. The downside is carpal tunnel from holding such a weighty tome.
  • Den döende detektiven
  • Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Return of the Home Run Kid
  • Slices of Night
  • Maximum Ride Boxed Set #1
  • Arcadian Genesis (Alex Hunter, #0.5)
  • Blood of the Wicked
  • Sleepwalker (Nightwatcher #2)
  • Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)
  • No Cure For Murder (Brier Hospital, #2)
  • Trial by Fury: Internet Savagery and the Amanda Knox Case
  • A Dangerous Man (Hank Thompson, #3)
  • Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)
  • Final Appeal
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • Watchlist: A Serial Thriller
  • Florida Getaway (CSI: Miami, #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache...more
More about Michael Connelly...
The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1) The Poet (Jack McEvoy, #1) The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #4) The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4)