Start by marking “The Harry Bosch Novels: The Black Echo / The Black Ice / The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #1-3)” as Want to Read:

The Harry Bosch Novels: The Black Echo / The Black Ice / The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch #1-3)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  2,712 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
For the first time in one volume, the three novels that introduced Michael Connelly's great LAPD homicide detective, maverick Hieronymous (Harry) Bosch. The Black Echo (Winner of the Edgar Award for Best First Novel) For Harry Bosch-hero, loner, nighthawk-the body stuffed in a drainpipe off Mulholland Drive isn't just another statistic. This one is personal. Billy Meadows ...more
Published (first published October 22nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Harry Bosch Novels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harry Bosch Novels

Obsidian
Jul 11, 2016 Obsidian rated it liked it
My overall rating of these three books is 3 stars. I gave each book a standalone rating that you can see further below. My overall summary of these three books is that Harry Bosch is flawed and acts like an asshole most of the time. He seems to have a good brain, but his ability to use people (the ends justify the means) turned me off pretty much in book #2, and in book #3 I was bored senseless of him and his issues. I started reading these books because I love the Bosch tv series. All of the ch ...more
Linda
May 07, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
The third in the Harry Bosch series is one of the best of the entire thirteen currently available (yes, I've read them all). This entry has everything. Hard boiled Harry is the defendant in a civil trial, the plaintiff the widow of a suspected serial killer, "The Dollmaker", whom Harry shot to death four years ago. The plaintiff's attorney is a star, Honey "Money" Chandler, whose trial record is legendary and who is characterizing Harry as a coldblooded rogue cop. Harry is stuck with the unimagi ...more
Arleen
May 19, 2011 Arleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After seeing the movie The Lincoln Lawyer, I decided to delve into Michael Connelly books. I have not been disappointed.

The Black Echo features LAPD detective Hieronymous "Harry" Bosch. Bosch discovers that a dead body found in a drainage pipe is a one-time Vietnam comrade and a complex plot begins!

The Black Ice is the second in a series that continues to follow LAPD detective Hieronymous Bosch. There's turns in the plot, and plenty of action, describing life in Los Angeles and Mexican border t
Phil Schaffer
Feb 16, 2009 Phil Schaffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I have read Michael Connelly and I am very happy that I did. This collection contains the first three books in the what is called the Harry Bosch series. The author delves deep into the development of Bosch's character and motivations for the things he does.

Bosch is a Homicide Detective in the Hollywood branch of the LAPD. He is essentially a loner, having antagonized most of the department brass but is very effective at his job. The author also spends many pages describi
Susan Grace
Jul 01, 2016 Susan Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is for The Concrete Blonde. I have read the other Bosch novels, The Black Echo and The Black Ice and have already reviewed them. I LOVED this third novel, The Concrete Blonde. Again, I so enjoy Connelly's wonderful descriptions of LA, the freeways, Hollywood, the grit of the city and the events of the early 90's. In this novel we find out more about the case that brought about Harry's current troubles as he finally goes to trial. Loved it! I am a fan and look forward to the next!
Linda Hugues
Nov 25, 2015 Linda Hugues rated it really liked it
Captivating and Intense

This was very well written, the characters were nuanced and interesting. It gave a detailed account of the work and lives of Bosch and his fellow officers, which brought the city to life. There was a lot of violence and disturbing descriptions of LA's sex trade, which I found hard to read.
Dana
Feb 18, 2009 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this trilogy of books by Michael Connelly. Bill and I both like the Harry Bosch novels. These three are in somewhat in order although each book will stand on its own. My favorite of the three was the last one, The Concrete Blonde. Good reading, well written, keeps you guessing!
Jim
May 23, 2017 Jim rated it it was amazing
Great story

I've started the Bosch novels in sequence after loving the TV series. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two, but #3 was even better. Connelly fooled me twice on the perp, which is a tribute. The story has enough twists and turns for any thriller fan and the conclusion is satisfying even as it paves the way for the sequels to come. A top notch story by a master of the genre.
Lori Fidler
May 30, 2017 Lori Fidler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Occasional awkward metaphors aside, I enjoyed this L.A. noir with tales just complex enough to be interesting without taxing the brain too much and characters who make excellent company for the journeys.
Mark Goddard
May 20, 2017 Mark Goddard rated it it was amazing
Great trio of stories

All three stories were great. The Bosch character is central to these stories and keeps you engaged from beginning to end.
Stef
Mark Mallett
Maybe not quite 4 stars but again the 5-star system doesn't allow enough fineness, and 3 certainly is more wrong than 4.

This book contains the first three novels of the Harry Bosch detective series, now apparently numbering 17 novels, by Michael Connelly. It got it at a deep sale price, designed to get people to buy more of the series if they like it. That's a good tactic that's used a lot, though I've seen people do it wrong, e.g., by offering a book from the middle of the series. At least I co
DMREAnne
This book is a good introductory book, as it contains Michael Connelly’s first three novels about Detective Harry Bosh. I will review the Black Echo, his first, with the added comment that this review can also stand for all the Bosh books. These are my favorite books to read for fun. Real page-turners, that keeps you on your toes. I first heard of Michael Connelly and his Harry Bosh series a number of years ago on NPR. He was being interviewed, as he was considered the top writer of fictional de ...more
Denise Billings
Jan 16, 2016 Denise Billings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have sadly come to the end of my Harry Bosch binge. This volume of 3 novels gave me the background story on Bosch. Black Echo describes his days in Vietnam as a tunnel rat and how he and Eleanor Wish met. Back in the days before cell phones. Stopping the action because of a pager going off and the search for a payphone. I saw them so clearly, the 3 story twists: 1. Lewis and Clark, 2. Rourke, 3. Eleanor. Damn, Eleanor! They all thought that they could use Harry, but they were wrong.

In Black Ic
Writerlibrarian
Black Echo: Inaugural novel in the Harry Bosch series. I'd read it years ago when it first came out in French in the early 90's. I was very fuzzy about the plot. I kinda remember that the bad guy was someone from inside. Still I remembered the twist just before the last chapter. Harry Bosch becomes even better with age just like very good wine. His opening bow is full of angst and penned up anger. We kinda get an image of the man but he still have much, much to offer down the road. Connelly is a ...more
Mimi
Feb 13, 2017 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I only read the Black Echo, chose the wrong book, am just getting used to this genre, will try the second one before I decide what I think.
Rohit
Mar 27, 2013 Rohit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just completed the first one of the series - The Black Echo
My recently rekindled interest in noir fiction is completely in line with this Connelly novel, and hopefully, with the other 16. Harry Bosch is a rugged cop with LAPD, with a past and a penchant for breach of compliance. He is a war vet with psychological issues, and a tunnel rat experience. A mysterious body turns up in a pipe, which turns out to be a fellow vet and Harry kick-starts a series of investigations, culminating in the unveil
Tim Smith
Feb 18, 2014 Tim Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this collection of three novels, we get a portrait of a man scarred by life and war, yet not broken by what has. happened in his past. Harry Bosch could have easily descended into a caricature of a broken cop with a heart of gold. However, Connelly avoids that by showing the struggles that Harry endures as he fights his demons and some of his self-centered colleagues while trying to do the right thing. One thing that distracted me from enjoying this volume was the formatting errors and typos ...more
Walt
Dec 02, 2013 Walt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Connelly fan, so I bought the trilogy book of Connelly's first collection of Harry Bosch novels, settled into the very first one of the series "The Black Echo" and enjoyed it as much as his present day stuff (The Closers, The Narrows, etc.). I have read the reviews where other Bosch fans think that this one fell flat. Well, I totally disagree.

I wish I would've been introduced to the Bosch series by reading this one from the start, but even as a backtracker, it was one of my favorite
Mary Sue
Jun 09, 2008 Mary Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished The Black Echo and am looking forward to the other two in the set. Harry Bosch seems so real; smart and yet vulnerable; surrounded by the big city and yet lonely; willing to take advantage of the system but stands on firm moral ground. He is a former Viet Nam era tunnel rat who found his unique talents can be used in the homicide department, he just doesn't always play by their rules.
The Black Ice and The Concrete Blonde were also very good. Bosch seems like an old friend by now.
Rebecca
Jul 06, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read almost all of Connelly's books now, and I thoroughly enjoy them. Harry Bosch is an intriguing detective, with many flaws and problems. Thankfully, we the reader only have to sit back and watch him do battle in LA, the main squeeze in Harry's life, and not have to wallow in his problems too!
Connelly is another one of those writers who loves his city, and it shows! More importantly, his loves his home baseball team. Some might say this has nothing to do with his characters or plot, I
Linda Barnett
Sep 14, 2015 Linda Barnett rated it it was amazing
These are the first three Harry Bosch novels and I enjoyed each one more than the last. There is a lot going on in these books so I wouldn't call them a "light" read, but the characters, how they relate to each other and the plot twists and turns will keep you reading late into the night because you want to find out "who dunit" sooner rather than later.

If you enjoy Robert B. Parker, Chandler, Sanford, James Patterson, just to name a few, you'll want to read Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series.
Pat Murray
Hey Rick The first dead person hailed from New Iberia, LA. This was the first Harry Bosch novel I have read. It obviously wasn't the first one of the series. You lose some of the character of the detective, so it is the story that has you keep on reading. I was left disappointed by the story compared to The Lincoln Lawyer by the same author. I will seek more of Connely's books but I will try to read them closer to the order they were written; to get more of who Harry Bosch is.
Julie Cordova
May 28, 2015 Julie Cordova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
Great way to get to know Harry Bosch. This book features the first three of the HB series. I've read other HB books completely out of sequence. What I like about the series is each book can stand on it's own. I don't want to be a slave to a series - where I have to read them in a specific order unless it is an intended trilogy. Connelly really offers a great read with interesting likeable and unlikeable characters.
Bruno de Maremma
Mar 07, 2011 Bruno de Maremma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Great intro to a new detective series. I liked the first one best since it gave some insight into the activities of the vietnam soldiers who were tasked with cleaning out the tunnels running under villages in Vietnam once they were taken by the U.S. soldiers. Also, he writes really well about Los Angeles and makes you feel like you are there along with Harry trying to solve the crime. Nice flawed hero character with a core of integrity. An old device but the author does it well.
Sue
Jan 27, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of Michael Connelly stories - both the "Harry Bosch" ones & the others - are excellent.

October 2014: Just re-read the very first Harry Bosch story, The Black Ice. Still excellent!

October 2014: Re-reading the second story, "The Black Ice."
Finished it.

November 2014: Re-read "The Concrete Blonde."
Charles
Oct 30, 2014 Charles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dissappointment
Meh - this is definitely not for me - the cliche detective, which is why so many love this I guess, just does not translate well for me. Maybe if I grew up on hard-boiled Sam Spade types, but this guy just seems like every other carbon copy cutout of a good cop with bad habits and no friends. Bored, so I quit.
Cathy DuPont
May 18, 2012 Cathy DuPont rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir-favorites
Uh,oh, forgot to write review.

Obviously I liked The Concrete Blonde with was the only book I read in this trilogy since I read the other two previously.

It was great, intricate investigation and liked Harry Bosch better in this book, than either of the first two. Perhaps he's growing on me.
Maggie
Oct 28, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Bosch's character and Michael Connelly's writing. His crimes are inventive and not just gory or serial killer vicious. I like that I feel I know Bosch also. I do a lot of this series on audible books while driving and working around the house. Any of the Connelly Bosch novels are a good read.
Sarah Doty
May 18, 2015 Sarah Doty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Echo. Book was written in the early 90's. Bosch is a Vietnam vet. It's amazing how times have changed- pay phones on every corner!!
Plot keeps your attention won't let you stop reading. There were twists that I didn't expect- all the way to the end. Kept me reading to see what happened next.
  • Den döende detektiven
  • The Aimee Leduc Companion: A Guide to Cara Black's Paris
  • Uncensored: Views & (Re)views
  • Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)
  • Return of the Home Run Kid
  • Lisa Jackson's Bentz & Montoya Bundle: Hot Blooded, Cold Blooded, Shiver, Absolute Fear, Lost Souls, Malice, & an Exclusive Extended Excerpt from Devious(New Orleans #1-6)
  • Quicksilver (Forensic Geology #1)
  • Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)
  • Miracle Workers (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #2)
  • West Wind (Return to Eaton: When Love Speaks Contemporary Romance Series, #3)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Sleepwalker (Nightwatcher #2)
  • Good Morning, Darkness
  • Six Bad Things (Hank Thompson #2)
  • Trickle Up Poverty: Stopping Obama's Attack on Our Borders, Economy, and Security
  • Apaches
  • Life Is a Gift: The Zen of Bennett
  • Devoured
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #12)

“Everybody has a need for their past, Bosch thought. Sometimes it pulls harder on you than the future.” 0 likes
“What’s a rave?” 0 likes