Start by marking “The Catalyst” as Want to Read:
The Catalyst

The Catalyst

THE EXPERIMENT WAS A FAILURE. THE RESEARCH SOUNDLY DISMISSED. BUT SOMEONE IS HUNTING DOWN THE SECRET KNOWLEDGE A YOUNG CHEMIST HAS UNEARTHED . . . IN AN EXHILARATING THRILLER FROM THE AUTHOR OF THE ARK.

Chemistry grad student Kevin Hamilton is sure his advisor Michael Ward's death in a suspicious fire was no accident.

The young Ph.D. candidate received a cryptic message from
Kindle Edition
Published January 30th 2009 (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Catalyst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catalyst

Matt
Jan 17, 2012 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too far-fetched for my liking and very, cliché-chased centred. I felt that the book was too light and very much the cookie-cutter for 'student fleeing from spies or corporations trying to hide the knowledge on which they have stumbled'. While it works if you need something to read on the plane or with sand between your toes, on its own, it is nothing worth praising, in my opinion.]

Diamonds... so expensive and beautiful, yet it all comes down to carbon in the end. A secret notebook that has the s
Jp
Apr 07, 2009 Jp rated it it was amazing
This was another excellent thriller from Boyd Morrison. I have read all three of his books and reccomend them highly if you like thrillers.
Bob
Sep 12, 2015 Bob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't get past the first page it was so cliche ridden. But then I had a change of heart and decided to plough on. This is, after all, the epitome of pulp. The result, having ploughed through about three hundred and fifty pages is the same as eating a couple of kilos of cheap confection (I imagine): dissatisfied, a little disgusted with myself and an overwhelming nausea. Nevertheless... the story grips (in a Dan Brown sort of way - do I bash him too frequently?) and I wanted to know how ...more
Stewart Tame
Good thriller, perhaps a bit on the generic side. Morrison certainly knows how to write a decent page-turner! The book rockets along from one action set piece to another. The ending is especially well done, with some interesting aspects that I can't comment on without spoiling things. Sorry. I do notice that the heroes seem to get out of some predicaments more by encountering the right people at the right time than through any skill of their own--though they do their own share of escaping as wel ...more
Lorraine Baker
Feb 13, 2015 Lorraine Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
When Doctor Michael Ward dies in a suspicious fire, his student Kevin Hamilton is convinced it was no accident. The young Ph.D. student received a cryptic email from Ward just before the fatal blaze, warning him that their recent and supposedly failed experiment had actually brought about one of the most important discoveries of the century: a chemical process worth billions, with the potential to destroy lucrative global industries.

Along with his girlfriend, Kevin faces an urgent race to escape
Andrea Ika
Dec 18, 2013 Andrea Ika rated it really liked it
Product Details
Rating :4 stars
Publisher:Gallery Books

Blurb
In this thrilling novel, chemist Kevin Hamilton must protect his research, his girlfriend, and himself from dangerous thieves after his experiments.

My thought
A thriller in which a graduate chemistry student and his girlfriend go on the run after his co-discovery of a cheap way to produce diamonds results in the murders of others familiar with the process.

Fast pace, good plot. I really enjoyed this book. Not many plot twists and turns, but
Kristin Lundgren
Jul 23, 2012 Kristin Lundgren rated it really liked it
A typical Boyd Morrison thriller - lots of action, interesting premise, and plenty budding romance. Kevin Hamilton, a grad student at STU in Chemistry, was busy eying a resident doc that he had met through various school functions, and trying to get enough courage to approach her. But unknown to him, his life was about to get complicated. His mentor at school, and the man he had TA'd for, had fired him several months earlier, making his life difficult, and in need of a new internship and funds t ...more
Angela
Jul 04, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
The story is very great and wonderful. I read the story in the middle and I can't stop. Usually I don't like 26 years old as main character but Mr Morrison magic make me love Kevin and Erica instantly. I already Mr Morrison fans before since I bought his The Ark novel. And this novel just confirms that Mr Morrison is a very talented author. Cannot wait to read another book from Mr. Morrison.
Edward H. Busse, III
Dec 25, 2011 Edward H. Busse, III rated it liked it
Shelves: read-owned
FYI - the book isn't sold anymore under the title of The Adamas Blueprint - it's now sold with the title The Catalyst. It was an OK read - nothing like Mr. Morrison's previous novel…The Ark. If I could have given in 2.5 stars, I would have. This story was a little slow and the premise, although highly important/sensitive, wasn't as earth-shattering as the premise in The Ark. The characters were a bit uninspired and the bad guys seemed a little too predictable…along with their efforts to get the ...more
Shannon
I own this book in a Goodread give away. I really enjoyed this book, fast paced, good characters, lots of twists and turns. I recommend for the folks that read thrillers. I want to read other books by Boyd Morrison now and see if the pace he sets is in all his books.
Gordon Johnston
Decent conspiracy theory with a fast pace and good character development. It has all the elements you would expect: unexplained deaths, bad guys after a secret and our hero and his girl standing in their way. It is a bit generic but well written and entertaining.
Caroline
Jun 22, 2015 Caroline rated it it was amazing
An action packed page turner. A great stand alone story with a satisfying ending.
Zee
Feb 02, 2016 Zee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read.
Robert Schulz
Mar 14, 2015 Robert Schulz rated it really liked it
fun read
Michael Johnston
It kept my attention, had an interesting premise, and enjoyable characters (even if they were a little one dimensional). I didn't have any "can't put it down moments", but it was quick and enjoyable. I didn't find it as fun as Rogue Wave (although it was a lot less cheesy), but I think it was much better than some of his other work. If you have a couple of hours on a summer beach day, bring it along and you'll finish it before you head home for the day.
Fabien
Jun 23, 2009 Fabien rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Adamas Blueprint being presented as the first, cruder book of Morrison, I was prepared to be disappointed, but it was not the case.
Sure, the story was sometimes far-fetched, but the non-stop action makes this book a real page-turner. Once I reached the last part, I couldn’t put the book down and finished it in one sitting.
A great thriller.
Linda
A fast pacing thriller. Really enjoyed it and would read more of his books.
Stewart Joslin
Mar 22, 2012 Stewart Joslin rated it it was ok
Somewhat interesting...there is no way college kids could do what these kids did evading professional killers. It was an insane set of weird circumstances that came together -- some of which were simply not possible. If yuo get a chance to read this, skip it and get a Thor or Flynn or Ludlum or Cussler instead.
Rob
Jul 26, 2014 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a pretty good thriller. I've read most of his other books and have not been disappointed yet. Of course, with this one, it doesn't hurt that one of the main characters went to the University of Kansas, my alma mater, for their undergraduate coursework.
Shane Stafslien
Aug 24, 2012 Shane Stafslien rated it liked it
Another solid novel from Mr. Morrison. It was interesting to read that this book was actually written in the 90's and updated/released in 2011. Certainly withstood the test of time. Overall, a nice story to hold you over until the next Tyler Locke book arrives in 2013!
Jen Mendeck
Mar 21, 2013 Jen Mendeck rated it it was ok
Meh. I guess there's a reason this isn't my typical genre. I found the plot to be pretty thin, along with the characters. As far as I can tell, chemistry not being my strongest suite, the science seemed pretty good. I really appreciate that.
Marcy
Jul 03, 2009 Marcy rated it really liked it
Read most of this on a cross-country flight and thought it a fine distraction from the air travel. The story is a little farfetched, but it did keep my interest. I greatly appreciate that the author made it a free kindle download.
Mar 11, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Pretty standard thriller -- good guys chased by bad guys, they make a series of rather unbelievable escapes, bad guys keep miraculously finding them again, good guys win in the end. But a quick read and entertaining enough.
Mickey Hoffman
Jul 11, 2013 Mickey Hoffman rated it it was ok
This is a suspense/thriller rather than a mystery. Although I found the concept interesting, the book is primarily a series of chase scenes of varying degrees of believability. For the genre, it's an okay read.
Chynared21
Mar 22, 2012 Chynared21 rated it really liked it
As much as I love Boyd Morrison's writing style, it took me a while to get into this story. I wouldn't say that it was a fast read but the action picked up once I got into the story. A good read overall.
Jan
Feb 07, 2012 Jan rated it liked it
This was a quick read..a plot with twists and turns.. a good book for airports and planes.. murder, mystery, science (how to make your own diamonds!!), and a love story!
Steve Schlutow
This was an okay book, I think he has written better. It was to predictable and far fetched. I was hoping for something different.
Jf Foronda
Jun 28, 2009 Jf Foronda rated it liked it
Good enough, considering that this is Boyd's first book. I read this because I could not get into one of the Sherlock Holmes novels.
Phyllis
I was an OK book. Very predictable. I have read other books by Boyd Morrison that I thought were much better.
Lisa
Sep 07, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I am glad to say "I knew him when". Congratulations on getting published, you will be famous before too long!
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The 34th Degree (Sam Deker, #2)
  • Uncubicled Part 1
  • Raising the Past (Origins, #2)
  • Dourado (Dane Maddock #1)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • Leviathan (Event Group Thriller #4)
  • The Bonaparte Secret (Lang Reilly #5)
  • Abyss (Kirk McGarvey, #15)
  • The Devil's Elixir (Templar, #3)
  • Executive Lunch (A Sedona O'Hala Mystery #1)
  • Ice Reich
  • The Grid
  • The Flood
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
Boyd Morrison is an author, actor, engineer, and Jeopardy! champion. He started his career working on NASA's space station project at Johnson Space Center, where he got the opportunity to fly on the Vomit Comet, the same plane used to train astronauts for zero gravity. After earning a PhD in engineering from Virginia Tech, he used his training to develop eleven US patents at Thomson/RCA. Boyd then ...more
More about Boyd Morrison...