Start by marking “Post Grad” as Want to Read:
Post Grad

Post Grad

What happens when your life doesn't go according to plan?

Ryden Malby had a plan. Step One: do well in high school, thereby achieving Step Two: get a kick-butt college scholarship. Step Three – limit her beer pong in order to keep said scholarship – wasn't always easy. Now that she's finally graduated, it's time for Step Four: moving to LA to land her dream job at the city
Published June 9th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Post Grad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Post Grad

YA Reads Book Reviews
Sep 11, 2010 YA Reads Book Reviews rated it did not like it
When Jessica Bard, Ryden’s college nemesis – the prettiest, smartest, most ambitious girl at school – steals her perfect job, Ryden’s forced to move back to her childhood home. Stuck with her eccentric family – a stubborn do-it-yourself dad, an overly thrifty mom, a politically incorrect grandma, a very odd little brother – and a growing stack of rejected job applications, Ryden starts to feel like she’s going nowhere. The only upside is spending time with her best friend, Adam – and running ...more
Beth
Jul 27, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a laugh
Laugh-out-loud funny. I killed this one in a couple of hours and marked a few pages with quotes that were so darn funny that I wanted to write them down. Here's a fave. Ryden's little brother, Hunter, is an particularly "special" little guy and his mother tries to defend him:

As you can see, Hunter's no picnic. He's...different."

"'No shit, Sherlock," my grandma said, coming to sit beside me at the kitchen table. "I am completely aware of that. Did you know that yesterday at the beauty parlor, he
Marjanne
Aug 15, 2009 Marjanne rated it did not like it
When I picked this up I thought I was a book that a new movie was based on. On closer inspection I realized that it's a book based on a screenplay for the movie, so essentially it is the novelization of a chick-flick. Generally I enjoy chick-flicks, but I think this one would drive me crazy. The main character is the stereotypical girl from most chick-flicks, the story is extremely predictable, and mostly the story is just shallow. I think the only reason I finished it was because it was a quick ...more
Sophia
May 12, 2010 Sophia rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
When I first picked up this Post Grad, I initially thought that this sounds like my story and I can totally relate, being a recent graduate who is underemployed!

This. book. is. horrible. The writing is repetitive, the character development is minimal (the majority of the characters are downright annoying), and the plot is terrible with a cop-out ending. If you're looking for an breezy read, please pick another book! There are better easy reads that are far more enjoyable.
Lauren
Apr 26, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Summary:

Post Grad opens up on the eve before Ryden Malby's college graduation, were Ryden and her best friend, Adam, are playing a typical game of "Who would you rather be?" Ryden is anything but nervous about her upcoming graduation, since she has an amazing, if she must say so herself, plan for the future:

First, do a great job in high school. Then, get a fantastic scholarship so she doesn't bankrupt her parents. Next, don't do anything appalling to loose said scholarship. Finally, graduate an
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

Ryden Malby has just graduated from college. She has her whole life ahead of her, and she also has it completely planned out. Her English degree is going to help her land a fancy job at Happerman & Browning, a publishing house in L.A.

Of course, nothing seems to be working out according to plan. Rydens arch-nemesis, Jessica, steals her job right out from under her, she is forced to move back in with her wacky family, and she doesnt know how to deal with
Larissa
Feb 12, 2010 Larissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Its the most important moment in your life and your best friend is by your side. Unfortunately your family are creating an embarrassing sceptical of themselves, just at the moment you are taking the stage to accept your diploma. Why couldn't they have forgotten all about this and just stayed at home...?

When Ryden was very young she had come up with "the Plan". It was a simple plan, do well in high school, get collage scholarship, and try not to get too drunk too often. So far in her life everyth
Michelle
Mar 30, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movie, favorites
You can't plan your life. Life isn't a easy check list. It's complex and unpredictable. I figured this out after high shool and my life still isn't predictable. Ryden Malby sets a timetable list. 1. High school. 2. College Scholarship. 3. Limit on Beer consumption and keep scholarship. 4. Dream job in L.A. Happerman & Browning. I know right from the beginning that this wasn't going to work for her.

She graduates college but always 2nd place to her nemesis, Jessica Bard. She loses dream job to
Sascha
Jan 22, 2016 Sascha rated it liked it
This book made me feel better about my book reviews. Why? Because as I was reading, I couldn't help but think that this novel seemed like it was written just to be made into a movie. Yes, of course, I did notice that the cover sported an actress and that it was soon to be a movie, but that's not unusual if the book was a reprint and a movie tie-in.

It wasn't until I had a few chapters left that I noted: based on the screenplay. Ha!

The story of Ryden is cute and lightweight. It has an ensemble of
Olivia
Aug 10, 2011 Olivia added it
I picked up this book because Alexis Bledel was on the cover (Rory in my absolutely favorite [obsessed] TV show, Gilmore girls).

I now want to see the movie...the book went by REALLY quickly and was very entertaining (couldn't put it down), which is why I would recommend it to anyone.

Well, maybe not guys. It's definitely chick lit.

Another little ironic tidbit -- It was a good thing I read Madame Bovary right BEFORE reading this one, because in the last chapter or so of this book, the main chara
Jun 02, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
I'm not a huge fan of books full of sap but this book is full of it. Everything! You know the sort..Everything is failing for someone- finding work, finding love, horrible family, best friend, snootie other friend,etc. Well this book has it all and it's certainly "made" to be a movie as well. You can easily picture this book becoming a movie...A teen chick-flick.

I'm going to go out on a climb and say the movie will probably be better than the book. I've not seen the movie so I can't say if this
Dec 21, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: jenniferegrant73@gmail.com
Lindsay
Aug 08, 2014 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: book-to-film
A simple read about a girl who just graduated college and had a plan to get a job at a awesome publishing company and live in a wonderful apartment. Of course nothing goes as planned and she doesn't get the job or the apartment so she has to move back in with her family who are crazy. The ending was predictable, but a decent read. There was a movie made out of it, so I'm looking forward to watching that.
Steph Bowe
Apr 30, 2014 Steph Bowe rated it it was ok
I'm not much of a fan of movie novelizations, and I haven't seen Post Grad the film. This book was funny and easy-to-read, and one I'd recommend if you're looking for a short, light read. It's a bit cliche, and lacking in character development (probably on account of how short it is, and the fact it's based off a movie), but I think teenage girls who aren't big readers will like it.
Juliet-Camille
You would think, with Alexis Bledel on the cover, that this book would be charming, and quirky, and fun.

description

Nope.

This book never should have been written, let alone read. Stock characters. Stock storyline. Jokes that aren't funny.
Katie
Apr 04, 2010 Katie rated it it was ok
Very predictable and formulaic. I knew what was going to happen from page 1. That said it was cute. In reading other goodreads reviews it looks as if this was based off the screenplay as opposed to the screenplay being based off a novel. That's an interesting way to do it I suppose. I picked it up looking for a quick read that was fun and that's exactly what I got. Maybe a good summer beach read?
Christina Nichols
Jul 08, 2009 Christina Nichols rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Okay so this is probably one of the most simply written pieces oh chick-lit I've read, but I really did enjoy it. Emily Cassel is incredibly funny. Some parts of the book just put a hilarious image in your head. Basically, it's the whole best friends, is there somehing more plotline but I thought it was really cute.
Darlene
Feb 28, 2016 Darlene rated it did not like it
I couldn't get into this one. I pushed through the audio book because the reader was great, but unfortunately I disliked the main character so much that the redemption towards the end was not enough to make up for all the "meh". I did enjoy everything about the best friend, but her whiny hatred for her family (who seemed completely unreal) was just too much.
Devin
Aug 04, 2013 Devin rated it liked it
This book was ok. It had a few good messages and it was about a family you might see I the real world. The Malby'sare your typical family, not perfect at all which was refreshing. It wasn't a story that I couldn't put down though which is why I gave it the lower rating. Needed more character or story development in my opinion.
Katherine
Nov 22, 2009 Katherine rated it it was ok
When I first picked up the book I thought it was what the movie was based off of. I later realized that it was the other way around. It made more sense. The book was predictable, light, fluffy, cute, etc. There was no real substance to it. And Ryden was way to whiny for my tastes. But it was a quick easy read. Good for long hours in the laundry room.
Deanna
Jan 03, 2010 Deanna rated it liked it
Post Grad has its funny moments, but it also has cheesy ones. When I read this book, I was, fortunately, in the mood for both. I recommend Post Grad to those who are looking for a quick, mood-lifting read. The book is not thought-provoking nor moving, but it will be entertaining to some, especially those who are soon-to-be college graduates.
Sarah "Mir"
Nov 24, 2011 Sarah "Mir" rated it liked it
This was a pretty funny read and I want to check out the movie now. Though I would not recommend the novel to most of the 'young adults' of the YA fiction intended market. The main character is fresh out of college and along with that comes the responsibilities and mindsets of the college age-group.
Shaima
Jun 03, 2012 Shaima rated it it was ok

I thought it would be appropriate of me to read this right before I graduate from college with a useless degree in English literature (just like the main character!), maybe it would give me a clue as to what on earth my next step should be. It didn't really help, but it was an ok read
Nadia
Dec 02, 2012 Nadia rated it really liked it
I don't think that any author has described a family like this. It was downright hilarious. I loved every part of this book and I so cannot wait to watch this movie. It made me realise how seeing too far in the future can make you blind.
Aug 25, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it
To be honest I didn't finish this book. I had seen the movie and found that the first couple of chapters of this book were just boring. The writing wasn't great and I thought I would waste no more time with it!
Kourtney
Aug 04, 2009 Kourtney rated it it was ok
I just could not get into this book. Nothing exciting happened, the characters lacked a sense of being real and having any depth to them, and all in all it was very predictable. Usually the book is better than the movie, and if that is the case I will be skipping this movie!
Jennifer (NorthernLghts)
Aug 15, 2011 Jennifer (NorthernLghts) rated it did not like it
I flew through this book because it was such a fluff book. I'd like to say it was a cute read but it wasn't. I found Rylan to be very flat, the family characters were too over the top and I didn't really see any growth from anyone.
Sandra
Mar 07, 2012 Sandra rated it it was ok
This is maybe a two and a half star book. It made me laugh, but overall it was just a retelling of the movie. That's what I get for not noticing the book was based on the screen play, not the other way around.
Sandy
Jul 29, 2011 Sandy rated it it was ok
Bought the book by mistake online....I was after the film....since I had it though I read it...it's an easy read, no thinking required, perfect book to read in between, enjoyable and a little funny...
Lthelibrarylover
Oct 15, 2012 Lthelibrarylover rated it it was ok
This book was not very believable. The main characters are supposed to be 19 or 20 years old, but they act like 16 year olds. Aside from that there was no plot and it was quite boring.
  • Seven Deadly Sins Vol. 1: Lust; Envy
  • The Goodbye Cousins
  • Thunder at Dawn (Thunder Creek #3)
  • Wrath of the Lion
  • Do They Wear High Heels in Heaven?
  • The Ruling Class
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Teens Talk Tough Times: Stories about the Hardest Parts of Being a Teenager
  • Winter's Kiss: The Ex Games; The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • Fortune
  • A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6)
  • Here Comes the Bride
  • Twilight Whispers
  • Kissed:  Once Upon A Time Omnibus Belle/Sunlight and Shadow/Winter's Child
  • A Women's Murder Club Omnibus: 4th of July / The 5th Horseman / The 6th Target
  • North Pole Reform School
  • A Day Away: One Summer / Temptation
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • The Price (Bitter Creek, #4)

“My grandma raised her eyes to the heavens, put her hand on her heart and sighed dramatically. "Dear God, one day let my family love me for my soul instead of my remarkably elegant possessions, my shoe box full of cash, and my outstanding high-interest-rate back account...” 1 likes
“My grandma leaned out the backseat window, pointing at the cops. "Just so you know, I had no part in this! Ask anyone. They'll all tell you: I hate crime."
"Well, we won't mention to them how you 'forgot' to pay for those slippers at Wal-Mart, now, will we?" my mom hissed.”
1 likes