Start by marking “Dog Biscuit” as Want to Read:
Dog Biscuit

Dog Biscuit

Hungry Bridget ate a biscuit . . . a dog biscuit! It tasted good – salty and sweet at the same time – but dog biscuits are meant for dogs, not people. Bridget starts to worry. Are her ears getting bigger? Is she growing a tail? Could she be turning into a dog? In the middle of the night, Bridget is swept off on a joyous romp with a wild dog pack. She has so much fun – ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published March 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Biscuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Biscuit

Kathryn
Sep 30, 2010 Kathryn rated it liked it
A little girl accidentally eats a dog biscuit (well, purposely eats the biscuit but doesn't know it's for dogs!) and then the dog's owner (jokingly) warns the little girl that she'll turn into a dog. And, the little girl immediately begins to worry. That itch behind her ear--is it because her ears are growing, into dog's ears!? And why doesn't her mother notice throughout the day!? The story then goes off on a rather odd dream-tangent where the little girl becomes a dog and goes off to an ...more
Lisa Vegan
Sep 17, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers; children who are worriers; those who enjoy outlandish stories
I’m surprised by how much I like this book, given all the meat references and graphic illustrations. But, it definitely appealed to me.

Well, I identified with Bridget, which is why I read this book. When I was not all that young, I remember worrying that a watermelon would grow in my stomach because I’d swallowed a watermelon seed. So, I understood Bridget’s distress when she eats a dog treat.

This is an interestingly illustrated tale. Some pictures I loved, some I really didn’t, but I did apprec
Skye Kilaen
May 29, 2016 Skye Kilaen rated it really liked it
Bridget is hungry while visiting Mrs. Blair, and finds a stash of dog biscuits in the shed. She eats one. “Oh my,” says Mrs. Blair, “you’ll go bowwow and turn into a dog.” She desperately wishes she hadn’t eaten the biscuit, but by nightfall she’s transformed, and called out into the magical world of dogs.

It all ends just fine, but Bridget is truly frightened by Mrs. Blair’s tease. Bridget’s mom is 100% comforting and supportive when Bridget confesses, and Mrs. Blair apologizes, so I did apprec
Cindy
Aug 16, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: review, childrens
My daughter was so distraught reading this book she did not know if it was Bridget's imagination or real, and I guess that is the intention of the book to make little minds wonder at the possibility.

The story is about a little girl named Bridget and she is hungry so Bridget steals a biscuit from the shed which happens to be a dog biscuit. And Mrs. Blair tells a little girl a long tale that the biscuit turns humans into dogs and thus starts the transformation of Bridget from a little girl into a
Diane
Oct 13, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
A hungry little Bridget takes a nibble of a dog biscuit. Mrs. Blair says "Oh my, you'll go bowwow and turn into a dog." After that statement, Bridget can feel herself beginning to change into a dog. Why doesn't her mom notice anything? She feels her tail wagging, she disrupts dinner until Dad says "It's like eating with a pack of wild dogs". But still, mother doesn't notice anything. Is it all in her imagination?
Mar 17, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Bridget eats a dog biscuit and Mrs. Blair, her babysitter, tells her that she'll turn into a dog. Bridget has mixed feelings -- it's fun to be a dog but she's not quite sure she really wants to be a pup for life. Her imagination runs wild and she spends the evening romping with a pack of dogs. Kids with dogs and active imaginations will enjoy this imaginative and unique story. Recommended for ages 4 - grade 2.
Alexandria Hiam
A little girl who ate a dog biscuit confessed to a woman she knew. The woman jokingly told her she would turn into a dog. Well, the little girl believed her and as the day went on she imagined herself more and more like a dog until she woke up in the night afraid. Her mom came in to comfort her and told her that the woman was just kidding and not to worry.
Bridget R. Wilson
Jun 04, 2010 Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, dogs
You've heard it said that you are what you eat. Does it follow then that if you eat a dog biscuit, you turn into a dog? Bridget thinks it does.

What I thought: A funny book. This is just the sort of adventure (or misadventure) kids have. The illustrations suited the text perfectly. I especially liked the ones of Bridget as a dog.

Story Time Theme: Dogs

A
Mar 14, 2016 A rated it really liked it
Meg McGregor
Jun 21, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
When I was little I used to eat dog biscuits because I figured they must be good if my dogs ate them. But sadly I never turned into a dog!

A funny story that littles can laugh over again and again. Absolutely wonderful illustrations!
Ashlee Gibson
Apr 11, 2011 Ashlee Gibson rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
A little girl eats a dog biscuit by accident and thinks that she will transform into a dog. She starts to act like one. The illustrations in the book are very colorful. The concept is cute but it may confuse some children
Kathryn
Sep 19, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A fun story about a little girl who eats a dog biscuit because she's hungry. Helen Cooper's illustrations are whimsical and fun and add to the fun of this story about taking what someone says to seriously.
Teresa
This is a silly book about a girl eating dog biscuits and thinking she turned into a dog. She goes throughout the day as a dog and then at night begins missing her family because she is no longer a little girl. In the end she really isn't a dog and everything is fine.
Kathleen
Dec 22, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: human-nature
A little girl is teased for eating a dog biscuit, leading her to believe that she is turning into a dog. Many kids (including this big one) will identify with the situation.
Karen
What child hasn't wondered, if I eat animal food will I turn into that animal? Nicely dealt with - fear and playful imagination mixed.
Amy L. Campbell
Oct 07, 2015 Amy L. Campbell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, storytime
Kids love the idea of eating dog biscuits and turning into a dog. Someone finally wrote a book about it. My story time kids enjoyed it.
Amanda
A little confusing. Did she become a dog after eating the biscuit or was it all a dream? Maybe I was too sleep deprived for this picture book.
Molly
Mar 24, 2009 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A girl ate a dog buscuit and was certian she was turning into a dog. It was fun but I think they could have gone a lot further with it. Ages 3+
carissa
Recommended Ages: pre-K - 1st grade

A little girl eats a dog biscuit by mistake and worries about the consequences. Includes recipe for "human-being treats."
Martha
Jun 05, 2009 Martha rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Couldn't tell whether this was supposed to rhyme or not. Imaginative story about a girl who thinks she'll turn into a dog because she ate a dog biscuit.
Leta Huffman
Apr 21, 2012 Leta Huffman rated it it was ok
I simply liked this one because I was able to make a text-to-self connection. I have eaten a dog biscuit before simply because I wanted to know what it tasted like.
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2011
Pennie
Pennie rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2011
Dd
Dd rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2015
Ginny
Ginny rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Pghgranola
Pghgranola rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2010
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2016
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Kristin Carlson
Kristin Carlson rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See here for more details
More about Helen Cooper...