Start by marking “Morbid Curiosity: The Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous” as Want to Read:
Morbid Curiosity: The Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous

Morbid Curiosity: The Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"It's shocking and sinful, and I couldn't put it down!" -Joan Rivers

The strange, startling, and utterly fascinating stories behind the world's most notorious celebrity deaths.

Was Jayne Mansfield really decapitated? Which manly appendage of Napoleon's was cut off during his autopsy? (And where did it go?) What went to the grave (literally) with River Phoenix, Frank Sinat
Published September 29th 2009 by Perigee Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Morbid Curiosity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morbid Curiosity

Susan
I am *that* girl. The one who likes to wander through graveyards, looking at headstones, and imagining what life must have been like for the people buried there. Or how they died. I especially like the gravestones with that little ceramic plaque that has a headshot of the person buried there.

So this book was definitely one for me. It was very interesting to read how the famous & infamous died. Even though I wish I'd taken it in small doses, so it would last longer, I couldn't. Read the whole
Loren
Updated Hollywood Babylon without the pictures. I found Petrucelli's snarky tone really off-putting, especially as he mocks people he just interviewed and got to know right before their deaths. His author's voice made me sad. I think it's possible to cover this same material in a respectful way, but basically I'm just not that interested in the deaths of celebrities. Give me a graveyard over a pop-cult obituary any day.
Cheryl
This book wasn't as 'morbid' as you'd think - there were actually a lot of interesting stories and things that I didn't previously know.
Brandie
I just can't get enough of this book! I am not ashamed to say I am Morbidly Curious and this book feeds that curiosity.
Morbid Curiosity is a collection of facts about the "Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous", detailing the deaths of movie stars, writers, musicians and various other celebrities and notorious figures from history.

While Morbid Curiosity does touch base on the deaths of recent, contemporary stars such as Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson and Natasha Richardson, the stories even go as far back as the year 453 to shed light on the death of Attila the Hun.

I really appreciate and enjoy Petrucelli
Kristen
I have to say that this book is aptly titled, because it is most definitely for the morbid of mind, and is chock-full of disturbing, creepy, and kind of sad tid-bits about the deaths of "the famous and infamous". If that floats your boat, then this book is probably right up your alley.

The author who has been a celebrity writer for many years, clearly revels in the minutae of death, and readers should be warned that he clearly has no reverence for death, dying or the dead, be they serial killers
Adrienne
This book was a guilty pleasure. It's filled from cover to cover with interesting bits of death trivia from the Hollywood stars to royalty. Definitely a great read. It is a bit morbid, but, hey, the title warned us fair and square!
GoldGato
This was a peppy little volume on a not-so-peppy subject...the deaths of famous celebrities, criminals, and historical figures. I really got into this and would have even gone for more detail, thanks to the way the author set up the descriptions. It certainly taught me a few items, such as learning that the ashes of Sacco and Vanzetti sit in a can at the Boston Public Library. Who would have thought that?

I also liked the way the chapters are set up, with sub-titles focusing on deaths by car, dea
Sesana
I may indeed be bad person for reading and enjoying this somewhat trashy book entirely about death. I'll at least admit to being kind of morbid. and I certainly got my daily dose of morbid here. For the most part, it isn't as sensational as it could be (Hollywood Babylon, anyone?) and at least pretends towards a certain amount of E! News level respectability. (No, that isn't saying much.) For the morbid and the star watchers, and not really for anybody else.
Daniel Kukwa
Nothing particularly earth-shattering, but it's a nice, concise collection of the morbid, the macabre, the poignant, the hilarious, and the (occasionally) profound. At times, it's a bit too trashy for its own good, but it certainly holds one's attention. A solid reminder that history can be studied from many angles.
Genaphur
I would give this one 5 stars but there are parts that are writen badly and I had to reread them a couple of times to figure out what the author was saying. Plus some items ready could have used a little more info but over all it's a get topic so I loved it.
Jo Stanford
I have read many similar books and expected the same old stuff. But it surprised me. I think part of it was better writing, and the author somehow made these famous ppl more real, more personal.and not just a list of names and facts.
Sue
Sep 02, 2013 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: crimen
Nice sense of humor; really lightened things up. Plus I actually learned some stuff: now every time I see the Mansfield bar I can remember not only this book, but how it came to be named after Jayne Mansfield.
Marian
A unique book that's a mix of morbid and historical.
I dog-eared several stories for further study.
Nice to carry in your purse when you don't know how much time you will have to devote to reading.
Thankful
As always I go back to stories of the dead. A number of books on dead celebrities are out there. This one is informative bite-size pieces. Perfect light-reading for the, well, morbidly curious.
Lindsay V
I would definitely say that I have a morbid curiosity about certain things and this book fed my curiosity.
Jamie
This was a fun quick read. And I just love the title.
Kerri Buie
Thoroughly entertaining and some great info!
Amanda
Nov 24, 2009 Amanda is currently reading it
Ha, so interesting!!!
William Montgomery
William Montgomery marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Dan J
Dan J added it
Jun 29, 2015
Darlene Payne
Darlene Payne marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Donna Henricks
Donna Henricks marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Jenifer Fisher
Jenifer Fisher marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
  • The Entertainer: Movies, Magic, and My Father's Twentieth Century
  • The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End
  • Celebration, U.S.A.: Living in Disney's Brave New Town
  • Unlucky Stiffs: New Tales of the Weirdly Departed
  • Poplorica: A Popular History of the Fads, Mavericks, Inventions, and Lore That Shaped Modern America
  • The Gershwins and Me: A Personal History in Twelve Songs
  • After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses
  • Famous Last Words, Fond Farewells, Deathbed Diatribes, and Exclamations Upon Expiration
  • Myrna Loy: The Only Good Girl in Hollywood
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • The Big Book of Death
  • Spencer Tracy
  • Gracie: A Love Story
  • Robert Mitchum: "Baby I Don't Care"
Liza! Liza!: An Unauthorized Biography of Liza Minelli Insiders' Guide to Cape Cod, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard