Start by marking “Morbid Curiosity: The Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous” as Want to Read:
Morbid Curiosity: The Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous

Morbid Curiosity: The Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous

A noted celebrity journalist recounts the disturbing, unexpected, appalling, and occasionally humorous details of the deaths of the rich and famous, including historical figures like Attila the Hun and celebrities like Anna Nicole Smith. Original.
Published September 29th 2009 by TarcherPerigee (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Morbid Curiosity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morbid Curiosity

Susan
Oct 24, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical
I am *that* girl. The one who likes to wander through graveyards, looking at headstones, and imagining what life must have been like for the people buried there. Or how they died. I especially like the gravestones with that little ceramic plaque that has a headshot of the person buried there.

So this book was definitely one for me. It was very interesting to read how the famous & infamous died. Even though I wish I'd taken it in small doses, so it would last longer, I couldn't. Read the whole
Loren
Oct 14, 2012 Loren rated it did not like it
Updated Hollywood Babylon without the pictures. I found Petrucelli's snarky tone really off-putting, especially as he mocks people he just interviewed and got to know right before their deaths. His author's voice made me sad. I think it's possible to cover this same material in a respectful way, but basically I'm just not that interested in the deaths of celebrities. Give me a graveyard over a pop-cult obituary any day.
Cheryl
Jun 10, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This book wasn't as 'morbid' as you'd think - there were actually a lot of interesting stories and things that I didn't previously know.
Brandie
May 08, 2012 Brandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just can't get enough of this book! I am not ashamed to say I am Morbidly Curious and this book feeds that curiosity.
Feb 05, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Morbid Curiosity is a collection of facts about the "Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous", detailing the deaths of movie stars, writers, musicians and various other celebrities and notorious figures from history.

While Morbid Curiosity does touch base on the deaths of recent, contemporary stars such as Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson and Natasha Richardson, the stories even go as far back as the year 453 to shed light on the death of Attila the Hun.

I really appreciate and enjoy Petrucelli
Kristen
I have to say that this book is aptly titled, because it is most definitely for the morbid of mind, and is chock-full of disturbing, creepy, and kind of sad tid-bits about the deaths of "the famous and infamous". If that floats your boat, then this book is probably right up your alley.

The author who has been a celebrity writer for many years, clearly revels in the minutae of death, and readers should be warned that he clearly has no reverence for death, dying or the dead, be they serial killers
Rachel
An unusual reading choice for me -I was feeling low and un-Christmassy nd fir some reason selected this book from my Kindle library.
It is quite fascinating and I made full use of my Kindle's wi-fi to look at celebrity biographies and read more detail on the lives of particular people mentioned.
The book covers celebrities mainly of the Western world - Hollywood centric but there are several other non-American mentions.
The book discusses natural deaths, drug overdoses, accidents, suicide and mu
GoldGato
Nov 09, 2011 GoldGato rated it really liked it
This was a peppy little volume on a not-so-peppy subject...the deaths of famous celebrities, criminals, and historical figures. I really got into this and would have even gone for more detail, thanks to the way the author set up the descriptions. It certainly taught me a few items, such as learning that the ashes of Sacco and Vanzetti sit in a can at the Boston Public Library. Who would have thought that?

I also liked the way the chapters are set up, with sub-titles focusing on deaths by car, dea
Sesana
Mar 25, 2011 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I may indeed be bad person for reading and enjoying this somewhat trashy book entirely about death. I'll at least admit to being kind of morbid. and I certainly got my daily dose of morbid here. For the most part, it isn't as sensational as it could be (Hollywood Babylon, anyone?) and at least pretends towards a certain amount of E! News level respectability. (No, that isn't saying much.) For the morbid and the star watchers, and not really for anybody else.
Daniel Kukwa
Dec 13, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Nothing particularly earth-shattering, but it's a nice, concise collection of the morbid, the macabre, the poignant, the hilarious, and the (occasionally) profound. At times, it's a bit too trashy for its own good, but it certainly holds one's attention. A solid reminder that history can be studied from many angles.
Adrienne
Feb 04, 2015 Adrienne rated it really liked it
This book was a guilty pleasure. It's filled from cover to cover with interesting bits of death trivia from the Hollywood stars to royalty. Definitely a great read. It is a bit morbid, but, hey, the title warned us fair and square!
Sue
May 13, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: crimen
Nice sense of humor; really lightened things up. Plus I actually learned some stuff: now every time I see the Mansfield bar I can remember not only this book, but how it came to be named after Jayne Mansfield.
Genaphur
Mar 11, 2011 Genaphur rated it really liked it
I would give this one 5 stars but there are parts that are writen badly and I had to reread them a couple of times to figure out what the author was saying. Plus some items ready could have used a little more info but over all it's a get topic so I loved it.
Jo Stanford
Nov 17, 2013 Jo Stanford rated it really liked it
I have read many similar books and expected the same old stuff. But it surprised me. I think part of it was better writing, and the author somehow made these famous ppl more real, more personal.and not just a list of names and facts.
Kerri Buie
Jan 14, 2013 Kerri Buie rated it really liked it
Thoroughly entertaining and some great info!
Amanda
Nov 24, 2009 Amanda is currently reading it
Ha, so interesting!!!
Thankful
Apr 24, 2013 Thankful rated it really liked it
As always I go back to stories of the dead. A number of books on dead celebrities are out there. This one is informative bite-size pieces. Perfect light-reading for the, well, morbidly curious.
Marian
A unique book that's a mix of morbid and historical.
I dog-eared several stories for further study.
Nice to carry in your purse when you don't know how much time you will have to devote to reading.
Sara
Dec 10, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok
This book was really interesting, but I just didn't enjoy the snide comments that he was making about the celebrities I tthought it was uncalled for.
denise bramlett
May 17, 2016 denise bramlett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not worth the money

Stories are old news and rather boring. Don't bother to buy this.waste of money. I could have written this without the author s hurtful comments.
Lindsay V
Jul 09, 2011 Lindsay V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would definitely say that I have a morbid curiosity about certain things and this book fed my curiosity.
ALISON MOORHEAD
ALISON MOORHEAD rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Cledger
Cledger rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2014
Jen Rennix
Jen Rennix rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2017
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2011
Amy Jasicki
Amy Jasicki rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2015
Gino Ferri
Gino Ferri rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015
Aimee
Aimee rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
  • The Gershwins and Me: A Personal History in Twelve Songs
  • The Big Book of Death
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • When We Die : The Science, Culture, and Rituals of Death
  • Poplorica: A Popular History of the Fads, Mavericks, Inventions, and Lore That Shaped Modern America
  • Myrna Loy: The Only Good Girl in Hollywood
  • The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End
  • Famous Last Words, Fond Farewells, Deathbed Diatribes, and Exclamations Upon Expiration
  • After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses