Morbid Curiosity: The Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous

Morbid Curiosity: The Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  18 reviews

"It's shocking and sinful, and I couldn't put it down!" -Joan Rivers

The strange, startling, and utterly fascinating stories behind the world's most notorious celebrity deaths.

Was Jayne Mansfield really decapitated? Which manly appendage of Napoleon's was cut off during his autopsy? (And where did it go?) What went to the grave (literally) with River Phoenix, Frank Sinatra...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Perigee Trade (first published 2009)

Susan
I am *that* girl. The one who likes to wander through graveyards, looking at headstones, and imagining what life must have been like for the people buried there. Or how they died. I especially like the gravestones with that little ceramic plaque that has a headshot of the person buried there.

So this book was definitely one for me. It was very interesting to read how the famous & infamous died. Even though I wish I'd taken it in small doses, so it would last longer, I couldn't. Read the whole...more
Loren
Updated Hollywood Babylon without the pictures. I found Petrucelli's snarky tone really off-putting, especially as he mocks people he just interviewed and got to know right before their deaths. His author's voice made me sad. I think it's possible to cover this same material in a respectful way, but basically I'm just not that interested in the deaths of celebrities. Give me a graveyard over a pop-cult obituary any day.
Cheryl
This book wasn't as 'morbid' as you'd think - there were actually a lot of interesting stories and things that I didn't previously know.
Brandie
I just can't get enough of this book! I am not ashamed to say I am Morbidly Curious and this book feeds that curiosity.
Morbid Curiosity is a collection of facts about the "Disturbing Demises of the Famous and Infamous", detailing the deaths of movie stars, writers, musicians and various other celebrities and notorious figures from history.

While Morbid Curiosity does touch base on the deaths of recent, contemporary stars such as Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson and Natasha Richardson, the stories even go as far back as the year 453 to shed light on the death of Attila the Hun.

I really appreciate and enjoy Petrucelli...more
Kristen
I have to say that this book is aptly titled, because it is most definitely for the morbid of mind, and is chock-full of disturbing, creepy, and kind of sad tid-bits about the deaths of "the famous and infamous". If that floats your boat, then this book is probably right up your alley.

The author who has been a celebrity writer for many years, clearly revels in the minutae of death, and readers should be warned that he clearly has no reverence for death, dying or the dead, be they serial killers...more
GoldGato
This was a peppy little volume on a not-so-peppy subject...the deaths of famous celebrities, criminals, and historical figures. I really got into this and would have even gone for more detail, thanks to the way the author set up the descriptions. It certainly taught me a few items, such as learning that the ashes of Sacco and Vanzetti sit in a can at the Boston Public Library. Who would have thought that?

I also liked the way the chapters are set up, with sub-titles focusing on deaths by car, dea...more
Sesana
I may indeed be bad person for reading and enjoying this somewhat trashy book entirely about death. I'll at least admit to being kind of morbid. and I certainly got my daily dose of morbid here. For the most part, it isn't as sensational as it could be (Hollywood Babylon, anyone?) and at least pretends towards a certain amount of E! News level respectability. (No, that isn't saying much.) For the morbid and the star watchers, and not really for anybody else.
Daniel Kukwa
Nothing particularly earth-shattering, but it's a nice, concise collection of the morbid, the macabre, the poignant, the hilarious, and the (occasionally) profound. At times, it's a bit too trashy for its own good, but it certainly holds one's attention. A solid reminder that history can be studied from many angles.
Genaphur
I would give this one 5 stars but there are parts that are writen badly and I had to reread them a couple of times to figure out what the author was saying. Plus some items ready could have used a little more info but over all it's a get topic so I loved it.
Jo Stanford
I have read many similar books and expected the same old stuff. But it surprised me. I think part of it was better writing, and the author somehow made these famous ppl more real, more personal.and not just a list of names and facts.
Sue
Sep 02, 2013 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: crimen
Nice sense of humor; really lightened things up. Plus I actually learned some stuff: now every time I see the Mansfield bar I can remember not only this book, but how it came to be named after Jayne Mansfield.
Marian Ervin
A unique book that's a mix of morbid and historical.
I dog-eared several stories for further study.
Nice to carry in your purse when you don't know how much time you will have to devote to reading.
Thankful
As always I go back to stories of the dead. A number of books on dead celebrities are out there. This one is informative bite-size pieces. Perfect light-reading for the, well, morbidly curious.
Lindsay V
I would definitely say that I have a morbid curiosity about certain things and this book fed my curiosity.
Jamie
This was a fun quick read. And I just love the title.
Kerri Buie
Thoroughly entertaining and some great info!
Amanda
Nov 24, 2009 Amanda is currently reading it
Ha, so interesting!!!
Rowan MacBean
Rowan MacBean marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Amanda J McCarrey
Amanda J McCarrey marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Kimberly Albright
Kimberly Albright marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Erin Dugan
Erin Dugan marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Liza! Liza!: An Unauthorized Biography of Liza Minelli Insiders' Guide to Cape Cod, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard