Start by marking “Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues: True Stories of the Unsavory, Unwise, Unorthodox and Unusual from the magazine "Morbid Curiosity"” as Want to Read:

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
For ten years, Morbid Curiosity was a one-of-a-kind underground magazine that gained a devoted following for its celebration of absurd, grotesque, and unusual tales -- all true -- submitted from contributors around the country and across the world. Loren Rhoads, creator and editor of the magazine, has compiled some of her favorite stories from all ten issues in this someti ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Scribner (first published September 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues

Hannah
Dec 23, 2009 Hannah rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Readers of the perverse, weird and disgusting
Recommended to Hannah by: Good Reads win
Shelves: non-fiction
I want it on the record that this was a Good Reads win - lol.

Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues is a compillation of over 40 short stories and articles (classified as non-fiction) culled from the editions of Morbid Curiosity magazine (which in my sheltered world I have never heard of). The cover title tells the reader immediately what to expect, and it doesn't lie, so you have been warned (i.e. True Stories of the Unsavory, Unwise, Unorthodix and Unusual).

Some of the topics covered in the 287 page
Chibineko
Nov 25, 2010 Chibineko rated it liked it
I love the macabre, the morbid, the dark, the stories that my sisters decide are just a little too strange for them. It would come of no surprise to them that this is a book I chose to read. They've seen me read things with worse titles.

But this book affected me more than some of the other things I've read, mostly because these stories are true while much of what I read is fiction. The stories in this book range from entertaining (a story of one girl's search for a good high in Asia) to downrig
Carole Tyrrell
Nov 27, 2011 Carole Tyrrell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the dark side.
I won a copy of this book in a competition on Facebook run by Morbid Curiosity’s editor and publisher, Loren Rhoads, and it introduced me to a magazine and a group of writers that I might never have read or heard of otherwise. The only writer I had had any previous acquaintance with was Mehitobel Wilson as we appeared in an anthology together.
The cover advertises the contents as ‘true stories of the unsavory, unwise, unorthodox, and unusual’ and I was immediately hooked. But I saved up reading i
Allison Floyd
Puppies, kittens, and sun-dappled meadows! Maypoles and pastels! I suspect that a substantial amount of the enjoyment I derived from this book is rooted in the fact that I spent a decent chunk of it thinking to myself, "Wow, I'm not that maladjusted." This was when I wasn't thinking, "Wow, I'm not that open-minded," or "Wow, this is profound/funny/gross/etc." These thoughts were peppered by the occasional shrug/sigh at the rare encounter with the sillier/more pretentious/simply less effectual bi ...more
Robert Beveridge
Loren Rhoads (ed.), Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues (Simon and Schuster, 2009)

One of my favorite books of the nineties was Apocalypse Culture, the Adam Parfrey-edited compendium of the weird and wonderful. I'd never found another book quite like it, and while Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues doesn't entirely qualify, it's about the closest I've seen in the past couple of decades, and that's good enough for me.

This is a collection of personal essays (for the most part) that appeared in Morbid Cu
Nanci Svensson
Jun 18, 2014 Nanci Svensson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fave-non-fiction
This, of course, is a re-read, and still a favorite.
I realize now though, since this is a collection of the writings in Rhoads' Morbid Curiosity magazine, that I'm going to have to roam the attic for all my old issues of the zine. I reveled in them when I was in my 20s (precluding and possibly inspiring my actual career as a grad student in forensic pathology...).
So, yeah, this is in deed TRULY inspirational reading! Stay off Eat, Pray, Love, folks.
Audrey
Dec 15, 2009 Audrey rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of the magazine Morbid Curiosity before picking up this book, but now I wish I had. The sample of odd essays I found in this volume made me want more. I kept imagining the odd things from my life that I would write about if Morbid Curiosity was still being published. Topics in this book range from exploring a Nazi concentration camp to finding your landlord dead to offering up your body for a medical experiment that removes 2/3 of your blood and replaces it with saline solution ...more
Angela
Dec 10, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
A great compilation of short stories... all true, unfortunately. This book covers the gamut of all things disturbing. From waking up in surgery, to experiencing a Black Mass for the first time, this book opens you up to new worlds and experiences... most that I wouldn't want to try first hand.
Dana
Sep 21, 2009 Dana rated it it was amazing
Bettina Robertson
Mar 19, 2011 Bettina Robertson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: weird
This book is not for everyone. If you do not enjoy bizarre tales, then I suggest you don't read it. I, however, enjoyed this book.
Leilani
Mar 23, 2011 Leilani rated it really liked it
A fun, fast read. And a good representation of the magazine as a whole (which a decent collection should be)!
Alanna
Apr 09, 2013 Alanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
My review can be found here: http://sheneverslept.com/newsandrevie...
Schannon Mccloud
Sep 09, 2013 Schannon Mccloud rated it really liked it
The book was good. All the different stories in it are worth reading.
Kathleen
Sep 20, 2010 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: benicia
A treasure trove of odd and provocative practices and pursuits.
Athena
Jun 24, 2010 Athena rated it it was amazing
This book rocks! It's very strange and fun and I recommend it.
Sharon
Jun 29, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Another fine collection of nasties from Loren Rhoads.
allegra
Jun 13, 2010 allegra rated it it was amazing
I think I'm allowed to give this five stars...
Annie
Jan 24, 2015 Annie rated it did not like it
Review deleted
Caitlin
Dec 20, 2009 Caitlin rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
This was terribly disappointing. The annoyances were numerous including, but not limited to:

- The format of the book - It's printed in newspaper type with two columns per page as if it were still a zine. It makes reading it difficult.

- The introduction - This is printed as in a regular book and starts out okay, but quickly devolves into self-congratulatory drivel. Yes, yes, you are the coolest, gothest ever. We all bow to your amazingness.

- The writing - Almost universally mediocre. These were t
Helen
Jun 08, 2013 Helen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A mixed bag of true tales from Morbid Curoisity magazine. My personal favourites were 'Souvenir of Hell' (and is probably the best written piece), and 'Lock it Behind You', since these were the most emotive articles. But for sheer shock-horror factor, the best was one woman's experience of anesthesia awareness.
It's true there's nothing like a little horror to make you glad to be alive!
Leslie Inglis
Apr 22, 2013 Leslie Inglis rated it liked it
There are a few really great reads in this book but there are also a number of little substance that felt like nothing more than the author's attempt to prove just how bad ass their alternative life style/ fetish etc is.. I give this book 3 stars for the 40% of intriguing reads.
kate
Jul 22, 2010 kate rated it it was amazing
as dana below said: "While I've not picked up the actual book yet, I've read (and own) all the Morbid Curiosity magazines these essays were pulled from to create this book. I give my five star rating with confidence and can't to buy the book!"

exactly the same situation here!
Monique
Aug 15, 2012 Monique rated it liked it
Made up of select contributions from the defunct magazine Morbid Curiosity this collection feels a little uneven. I have to admit that the story about Auschwits will stick with me. That story really bothered me on a number of levels.
Mandy
Jan 05, 2012 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012, ebook
Some good stories here, but also some that surprised me by making the cut. If this book is supposed to reflect the best of Morbid Curiosity magazine, I'm not rushing to eBay to scrounge up back issues.
Katrina
Jul 05, 2010 Katrina is currently reading it
Lately I've not been reading essay collections all the way through, but picking them up and reading an essay or two now and then, so this book is likely to be on my "currently reading" shelf for some time.
AM10000
Aug 03, 2011 AM10000 rated it really liked it
Some stories were well-written, while others weren't so great...but overall very interesting.
Lori Anderson
Lori Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Zanny
Zanny rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Clelia
Clelia rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Classics Mutilated
  • Phantasmagoria: Spirit Visions, Metaphors, and Media Into the Twenty-First Century
  • Supervillains and Philosophy: Sometimes, Evil is its Own Reward
  • Steampunk'd
  • Your Creative Brain: Seven Steps to Maximize Imagination, Productivity, and Innovation in Your Life
  • How to Be Useful: A Beginner's Guide to Not Hating Work
  • How to Be a Mentalist: Master the Secrets Behind the Hit TV Show
  • Who's Been Sleeping in Your Head?: The Secret World of Sexual Fantasy
  • Voluptuous Panic: The Erotic World of Weimar Berlin (Expanded Edition)
  • Cemetery Stories: Haunted Graveyards, Embalming Secrets, and the Life of a Corpse After Death
  • The Empire of Death: A Cultural History of Ossuaries and Charnel Houses
  • Big Brain: The Origins and Future of Human Intelligence
  • Tutankhamun: The Untold Story
  • The First Detective: The Life and Revolutionary Times of Eugene Vidocq, Criminal, Spy and Private Eye
  • Atlantis: Egyptian Genesis
  • CLAMPノ絵シゴト North Side
  • How to Defeat Your Own Clone and Other Tips for Surviving the Biotech Revolution
  • Mentally Incontinent: That Time I Burned Down a Hooters, That Time My Stalker Crashed on My Couch, and Nine Other Stories from My Weird Life
Loren is the co-author of LOST ANGELS and its sequel ANGELUS ROSE, coming in November 2016.

She is also the author of the In the Wake of the Templars trilogy. All three books -- THE DANGEROUS TYPE, KILL BY NUMBERS, and NO MORE HEROES -- came out in 2015.

In addition, she wrote WISH YOU WERE HERE: Adventures in Cemetery Travel and blogs about cemeteries as travel destinations at CemeteryTravel.com
More about Loren Rhoads...

“Curiosity is the single most important attribute with which humans are born. More than a simple desire to discover or know things, curiosity is a powerful tool, like a scalpel or a searchlight. Curiosity changes us. It is also a way to effect change, perhaps even on a global level.” 12 likes