Start by marking “Committed: A Rabble-Rouser's Memoir” as Want to Read:
Committed: A Rabble-Rouser's Memoir

Committed: A Rabble-Rouser's Memoir

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  42 reviews
"Committed" is a bold, offbeat, globe-trotting memoir that shows how the most ridiculed punching bag in high school became an internationally renowned crusader for the most downtrodden individuals of all -- animals. This irresistibly entertaining book recounts the random incidents and soul-searching that inspired a reluctant party boy to devote his life to a cause, without ...more
Published April 17th 2007 by Atria Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Committed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Committed

Jen
Even though I support PETA, I've always sort of rolled my eyes at their over-the-top protesting stunts. Dan Mathews, the author of this book, is the brains behind these campaigns, and he does a good job in arguing in favor of the silly and outrageous. I'm still not sure if I agree, but no matter. He gives a glimpse into the early beginnings of PETA, how he became a vegan and also recounts a mid-1980s interview he did with "Meat is Murder" singer Morrissey, who I absolutely love, love, love and a ...more
Gina
I'm in love with this book. the author's sense of humor actually somewhat endears me to PETA's antics, and very much endears me to the author himself. In particular, as someone hailing from the "beef belt," I commend anyone with the moxie to dress as a carrot in front of a midwestern school holding a sign that says "eat vegetables, not your friends" while kids throw bologna in counter-protest. I'm interviewing Dan Matthews this Wednesday and don't want to spoil anything, so I'll add a full revie ...more
Jared Vincent Lacaran
I'm not a vegetarian, nor do I support PETA. I think they're all crazy and should be nuked. I just picked up this book randomly, so I didn't know at first that the author was the VP of PETA. I only reached page 34 'cause my uncle made me stop reading this. IDK why but I guess, like the rest of the world, he just hates PETA so much. I can't blame him. Those asses at PETA are gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide. The world would be better off if we just force fed them radioactive san ...more
Tracy
"Committed: A Rabble-Rouser's Memoir" is unlike any animal-rights book I've read.

Written by 24-year PETA employee Dan Mathews, it chronicles his life from a bullied child through his escapades with the animal-rights group.

Instead of detailing the various atrocities animals face, though, the book's style is comedic. Mathews has a cheesy, un-PC sense of humor. After he lost his virginity in Rome in his only foray into prostitution, he thought, "I'm here to study history and this is the world's old
Tammy BayAreaVeg
This was a lively and engaging read, despite the serious topics that Mathews talks about (animal abuse, animal rights, his struggles growing up and finding himself), it's sprinkled with fun antecdotes, thrift store shopping finds, and lots of celebrity name dropping throughout.

He sounds like a zany character who lives life with passion and compassionate commitment. I think we could all do with a bit more of that.

Debs
It took me a long time to read this one because I cannot deal with animal cruelty and Matthews goes into detail about the sort of things that he, as a member of PETA, has tried to prevent over the past decade or so. This book is the reason I stopped eating meat.
Ana
This book was interesting to read but I think he forgot to write a conclusion. I turned the page on the train expecting more and there wasn't anymore. I checked twice. How sad.
Christopher
He worked at Disneyland AND was a prostitute. Nice!
Dave Metge
Dan Matthews was a member/employee of PETA and partly responsible for
a bunch of over-the-top demonstrations (ie, C Klein, NIH labs, Harvard, etc) taking on the food or clothing industries.
1. A bit of a tough read but gives a behind the scenes view of PETA's early mind-set interspersed with autobiographical vignettes from Matthew's childhood and early teens.

2. Gained a bit of a different view of PETA's tactics and mindset. Over the late 1980's & early 90's, I had come to view them as a str
Peacegal
This was a fun and light read from the mastermind behind many of PETA's most unusual and headline-grabbing protests. Although the group's stunts often leave many animal rights supporters cringing for the impression they create of our cause, PETA has obviously found success because of them. Mathews explains the philosophy behind the demonstrations that have found the author dressed as a carrot, a priest, and sometimes wearing nothing at all. (I'm still not fully convinced that such stunts further ...more
Erin
I read this book in 3 days, which says a lot, considering I am a very slow reader. I had my reservations about Dan's book because of the several comments - on the front of the book and in some of your reviews- comparing him to David Sedaris. It's like anyone who writes a comical memoir these days is automatically compared to Sedaris, and I'm over it. If that makes me vastly unpopular, I don't really care.

But back to Dan...I'm in love with him. This book makes me want to move to Virgina just so I
Erin
Very engaging story of a PETA activist who seems to be an all-around good guy. It seems like it's very rare to get to know (through a book) a handsome guy with fabulous friends and family (loved that his mom just up and decided to change her name) and a cooler job than any of us will ever have, yet he's not a complete asshole. You'll want to go on some fabulous road trip with him. And for the squeamish among you there's enough information to make you question some of your choices (as well as tho ...more
Kayla
I read this book in 2 days. It's entertaining, controversial and compassionate. Like Tommy Lee says, "If you read only one book this year, this is it."
Elizabeth
I was actually quite disappointed by this book. I got it thinking it would be more of the activism stuff. Mostly it was about the people the author has met along the way. The first several chapters were just about the author's history and life as a boy/young man. I just felt that the author was trying to impress us with who he has rubbed elbows with and which celebrities call him friend. Some activism was thrown in to the mix. I am glad that this was a pretty short easy read so that it didn't ta ...more
Aurelia D'andrea
I started this yesterday and am halfway through. I can't believe it took me so long. (I've been carrying this around for nearly 3 years.) Mathews is funny as hell in a smart, gay, animal-rightsy sort of way, and he's got great life-experience material to draw from. He really captures that distinct sense of a southern california upbringing, and I love that I'm able to relate to a lot of the feelings of being "different" that he expresses. Can't wait to finish this sucker!
Joel
Memoir of animal rights activist and P.E.T.A. vice president, Dan Mathews. Very fun, quick-witted, and inspiring. He is like a vegetarian David Sedaris. Highlights include his travels around the world, protesting with Chrissy Hynde and Pamela Anderson, storming Calvin Klein's headquarters in NYC to stop him from using fur, being arrested, committed to a mental hospital in France, and driving to the beach to watch a hurricane with his mom. Highly recommended.
Julia
The memoirs of Dan Mathews, vegetarian gay animal activist who helps bring PETA campaigns into the national spotlight. As a fellow animal rights supporter, I've often cringed to hear about what ridiculous thing PETA has been up to. After reading this I got a better understanding about why they pull their provocative stunts. Aside from his animal rights work, the book is hilarious and hard to put down. Great job, Mr. Mathews!
Erin
"...All people have a sadistic side- it just bubbles to the surface in some more than others, and worsens when a child is never taught empathy. "Boys will be boys," parents often say. Many kids grow out of it, but the dimmer ones grow up and compensate for low self-esteem by striking out at whomever they can most easily exert power over, whether its a wife, kids, prisoners or animals." ....Dan Matthews writes an amazing memoir.
Lauren Ann
5 stars both in terms of being a driving inspiration and of being wildly entertaining. Dan's tale is so unique yet so accessible, illustrating the power of will and the exercise of passion. The writing is quite engaging and humorous, with each chapter seeing through a particular story rather than being strictly chronological. Like PETA, a winner!
Miriam
Lots of fun stories from Dan Mathews, who's worked for PETA for many years. He's a funny guy and has had many unique experiences. The last chapter about his current life was the only disappointing part of the book - he's seems to be better at finding the humor in things that happened 5+ years ago. Still I recommend it.
elle
Jun 14, 2007 elle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: not just vegetarians
Memoirs of a gay vegetarian. Mathews's wit and self-mockery stands on its own, but he has a clear purpose beyond that: to spread awareness about animal rights. Whether you agree or not, after reading this book you will understand a vegetarian's creed. Includes cameos from some of our favorite celebrities.
Carlyclifton
This is a great book if you are interest in the PETA organization. It is about animal rights. It was suggested to me by my yoga instructors, and it is good to learn how and why peta was started. It is written by a gay, animal rights activist and it also talks about his struggles growing up.
Lisa Vegan
Witty memoir of a gay vegan animal rights activist. He’s hilarious – this is a funny book about a serious topic. The name dropping was incessant and I found it slightly annoying but he does know these people, and the book is an interesting, engaging, and very thought provoking read.
Zoë
An entertaining and seemingly light-hearted memoir with serious ethical and animal rights underpinnings.
Seriously reconsidering the choices I make in regards to supporting the meat (and other consumables from animals) industry through my diet and lifestyle.
Kezia
Didn't really like this book. I found it more to be boast about all the famous people he knows rather than his life... it's memoir but no real mention of his life other than PETA and the famous people it's linked him to.
Bonnie
Sep 22, 2009 Bonnie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: alissa
Great memoir! It was rather interesting to learn about a founding member of PETA and behind-the-scenes looks at what they have accomplished around the world, particularly considering the negativity they have recently received.
Funny non-fiction account of PETA's vice president and all the crazy adventures he has found himself part of in order to get people to stop mistreating animals and eating meat.
Quick read.
G
Entertaining, but wish he'd put in more about PETA work and less about himself. That's why we're interested in reading his memoir after all.
Elena
This book was great. Aside from the animal rights issues that I hold near and dear to my heart, he is an excellent and very funny writer.
Elise
Funny, quick read from the man behind PETA's ad campaigns/public activism. Makes you contemplate getting arrested for the right reasons...
  • Eternal Treblinka
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals
  • Animals and Women: Feminist Theoretical Explorations
  • Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money
  • Animal Ingredients A to Z
  • Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
  • Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food
  • The Bloodless Revolution: A Cultural History of Vegetarianism from 1600 to Modern Times
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave
  • Jumbo: This Being the True Story of the Greatest Elephant in the World
  • Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights
  • Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?
  • Pleasurable Kingdom: Animals and the Nature of Feeling Good
  • 30 Something and Over It: What Happens When You Wake Up And Don't Want to Go To Work Ever Again
  • To Die for Is Fashion Wearing Out the World?
Tuesday at the Zoo: Ages 0 - 5 (At the Zoo Children's Book Collection 2) Monday at the Zoo: Ages 0 - 5 (At the Zoo Children's Book Collection 1)