Start by marking “Missin' (Novel) (Box Set)” as Want to Read:
Missin' (Novel) (Box Set)

Missin' (Novel) (Box Set)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
L to R (Western Style). How far can you go to get what you want before you lose your mind?Enter best-selling author Novala Takemoto's world, where music and the lost art of maidenly virtues walk hand-in-hand with madness. His characters stress, obsess, and sometimes get what they want...but often the life they thought they wanted is not always what they expected!
Published August 18th 2009 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Missin' (Novel), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missin' (Novel)

Rafaela
Jul 17, 2012 Rafaela rated it liked it
Shelves: read2012
Caroline
Feb 12, 2012 Caroline rated it liked it
The Lost Lola
Aug 04, 2010 The Lost Lola rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Kamikaze Girls
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love Novala Takemoto as an author. I thought Kamikaze Girls was an amazing novel, and I had really high hopes for this collection, which is his only other work to be published here in the US. Now, Missin' 1 was awesome. I thought he did an exceptional job of blurring the line between love and obsession, particularly in the disturbing story about the Shop at the End of the World. The titular story also blew me away, especially the ending, and I really felt ...more
Anna
Nov 29, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
Novala returns with more stories of extremely terrible humans dressed by alternative clothing brands! Vivien Westwood and MILK are the clothes of choice this time
(Missin' 2 was also lame and took away the edge of the 1st one. This is the least spoilerific way to put it)
Gabriel Strange
Dec 16, 2014 Gabriel Strange rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories

PUNK ROCK? ROMANCE? JAPAN? Ha, critics eat your heart out. This collection speaks in volumes to me.

Heartwarming stories filled with melancholy or should that be reversed? Melancholy filled stories with heartwarming moments.

Yes this could be labelled as the "pop-culture" of reading and some would dismiss it as not being truly "literary" akin to Banana Yoshimoto. At least I enjoyed this compared to her works. It all boils down to finding the right demographic in the end.

An in-depth review?
Banafsheh Esmailzadeh
May 14, 2015 Banafsheh Esmailzadeh rated it really liked it
Wow. What a ride. Not unlike Shimotsuma Monogatari, the main stories featured an unlikely friendship between two girls, one femme and one punk. But Missin was so much more than that. It was dark, it was gloomy and yet so very, very fun. I love Novala Takemoto.

And The Little Shop called The End of the World was sweet and sad all at once. Damn, Novala. <3
Sofía Aliciel
Aug 30, 2012 Sofía Aliciel rated it it was ok
The stories have a few interesting aspects, but his style of writing is hard to follow and a bit strange.
Eric
Sep 09, 2009 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2009
Two books, one ISBN. No review this time since I edited one of the stories.
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Carolina
Carolina marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Nonnavlis
Nonnavlis marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Lilian Sea
Lilian Sea marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Lira
Lira marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Aja Miller-arrow
Aja Miller-arrow marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Ammie
Ammie marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Marija
Marija marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Joe Green
Joe Green marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Outspoken Stranger
Outspoken Stranger marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Rachel Arrighi
Rachel Arrighi marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Leah Parry
Leah Parry marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Gemilia
Gemilia rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Christina Brady
Christina Brady marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Novala Takemoto is a Japanese author (and fashion designer). His real name is Toshiaki Takemoto, however, his pen name is translatable as "The Wild Rose." Takemoto has been one of the most active promoters of the Lolita lifestyle and remains fascinated with the Rococo era in particular.
More about Novala Takemoto...

“Most people are full of themselves and speak only the obnoxiously superficial, in other words they're annoying as hell” 125 likes
“Snow falling soundlessly in the middle of the night will always fill my heart with sweet clarity” 98 likes