Start by marking “Our House: 10th Anniversary Edition” as Want to Read:
Our House: 10th Anniversary Edition

Our House: 10th Anniversary Edition

Pam Conrad's treasure of a book is lavishly reillustrated by the incomparable Brian Selznick for a new generation of readers.

Pam Conrad takes us into the lives of six kids in six different decades and celebrates the commonality of all our lives. Originally published in 1995, Our House was hailed by critics in starred reviews as "remarkable," "rich," and "comic and poignant
Published December 1st 2005 by Scholastic Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Our House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our House

Jackie B. Forman
Our House: 10th Anniversary Edition;s original printing was nominated for the Newbery Medal. It did not win, but you can easily see why this book was nominated in the 10th Anniversary edition.

A collection of short stories, this book tells the life of a specific house over the course of 6 decades. The first story begins with the establishment of the neighborhood. Each subsequent story tells of a child (or children) who lived in the house. These stories quickly touch on important themes such as lo
Jim
Apr 09, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing
There are those books written for the sheer joy of writing, and should be read for that same reason.This book is a short book, a quick read that is written in the viewpoints of many different residents of Levittown NY. This was the original fast tract housing built near the end of World War 2 to give places for returning military to be able to reside. For those who are older it reminds of us life that we knew as young people, some as just returning vets, the way life was in that day and age. It ...more
Kim
Apr 28, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Collection of short stories about different children who grow up in the same house, from the time it was built after WWII to almost the present. Well done, but not necessarily something you may want your younger kids to read or have read to them because there are (SPOILER ALERT) deaths. I am holding off letting my 8yo read it for a few more years -- it's a little too real.
Connie T.
Apr 18, 2014 Connie T. rated it it was ok
This book offers a glimpse into the history of Levittown, from the potato fields in the 1940s to the 1990s, with each chapter being a story about a child from each decade. My favorites were "Boy Fossil" and "Night Photograph".
Marianna
Apr 10, 2011 Marianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2011
This is a YA book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Conrad does an excellent job of telling stories about place.
Kim
Feb 23, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok
Welcome to Levittown, NY. Each chpater is a different era and differnet child/family. Very short chapters and good historical fiction book for reluctant readers
Michelle
A series of short stories all set in the same town. A child from each decade narrates a memory that is important to their childhood. Selznick's pictures really add to the book.
Tamsyn
Oct 11, 2007 Tamsyn rated it liked it
Shelves: realisticfiction
I liked the way this book followed the different families that inhabited the house; each chapter takes place in a different time.
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2012
Alicia Farmer
Alicia Farmer rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Channa
Channa rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2013
Isaac
Isaac rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Laurel T.
Laurel T. rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Evan Shrestha
Evan Shrestha rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Andee Bohlin
Feb 28, 2015 Andee Bohlin rated it really liked it
I read this to my kids. It had me in tears at the end. Really good.
Cathy
Apr 13, 2009 Cathy rated it really liked it
This is a perfect read for a 3rd grader. It is so interesting!
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Deana
Deana rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Carly
Carly rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
Brandon Will
Brandon Will rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2009
Waller
Waller rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Molly
Molly rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2011
Hannah Parker
Hannah Parker rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Eric Barnes
Eric Barnes rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Amber the Human
Amber the Human rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Pam Conrad (1947-1996) was an author for children. Her book Our House: Stories of Levittown was a Newbery Medal finalist.

Ms. Conrad was born in New York City and graduated from the New School for Social Research.
More about Pam Conrad...

“ And no matter where you are right now, you can come on out and stand in the middle of it as the sun is going down, and you can know that right in the spot where you are standing, there used to be someone else, that at some other point in time, someone stood where you are standing, thinking their own thoughts. And someday in the future someone will stand there and wonder about you, wonder if there was ever anybody else.

Keep in mind that you are making memories.

Consider that something you take for granted today may be the one thing you might pine for someday, and there might not be any more of it left, but you'll remember its sweetness. Remember the curve of the sun in your bedroom window late in the day, the way your little brother's hair smelled after his bath, and the sound of your mother and father talking in the kitchen.

Make sure you notice if the trees meet in an arch over your street, or if there's a certain sound that you hear at a particular time every day. Take note of those people who are so familiar to you, and consider memorizing them for a time when they are gone.
And know that if anyone ever says to you, "What will you always remember about this place?" you will know just exactly which story it is that you would tell them.”
31 likes