Dark Palace: The Companion Novel To Grand Days

Dark Palace: The Companion Novel To Grand Days

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From one of Australia's greatest writers comes the tumultuous companion volume to the acclaimed, award-winning and bestselling triumph, GRAND DAYS.

Five years have passed since Edith Campbell Berry's triumphant arrival at the League of Nations in Geneva, determined to right the wrongs of the world. The idealism of those early grand days has been eroded by a sense foreboding...more
Published (first published 2000)

Patrick Lenton
I love these books. I waited almost a year until I read Dark Palace because I wanted to savour the experience, and it was worth it. Is it a spoiler to say that this book tracks the gradual demise of the League of Nations? I don't think so, because that's history, yo. Edith is still awesome, Ambrose is back and I'm so happy because I love him. The rise of WW2 in this book is gripping and made the kind of paralysis and fear and boredom they felt make it feel utterly relatable. So so good.
Mandy
Part of the reason I gave up on the dog book was because I had started this. Was a bit ambivalent about Edith at the end of the first book but delighted with her thus far. So pleased Moorhouse turned Robert into a sanctimonious prig - Go Edith.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Love the way the author can get into a feminine mind and skin, bit scary really. Also particularly enjoyed the history and, sometimes ridiculous, political correctness and protocol of the League of Nations. Imagination could n...more
Mary-lou
I loved this book even more than the first one and I love Edith Alison Campbell Barry. I wouldn't want to work for her though or be her friend but I want to have her passion and confidence. I love the story of the League of Nations and I love the different perspective on the Second World War. I also really like the respect, understanding and kindness from within Ambrose and Edith's relationship. Even though it is an unusual relationship it is successful but what will happen long term? I've order...more
Rob Carseldine
Book 2 of the Edith Campbell Berry series, continues Edith's life at the Leauge of Nations in Geneva, the decline of her marraige to Robert and the renewal of her affair with Ambrose. This book seemed to me to loose its way in the middle or maybe I just lost interest. Either way I found parts of it dull. Nevertheless I recommend reading the series in sequence as the series as a whole is excellent.
Jane
Like his character Scraper, Moorhouse appears to be a mind reader. Edith Campbell Berry is constantly thinking things that I think. It's a pretty impressive feat from a male author. I guess he's been paying attention.
That said, I couldn't really get into this book. Each individual part was remarkable, but as a whole it was a bit flaccid. Maybe it would help to have read the 'companion novel' first.
Meaghan
Obviously a darker tone than the first one, hence the title, nevertheless a rich story which engages on a number if levels. I'm thoroughly enjoying my accidental reading journey 'between the wars' as the dramatic irony for the reader (about WWII) enhances the experience, inviting that sigh we get when we know tragedy is around the corner.
Jane
I loved this like I loved the first in the series. I love Edith and I'm so touched by her struggle to work out a new way of being a woman in that time of enormous change.
Kim Elith
Another fascinating installment in the life of Edith Berry - wonderful characterization and a great history lesson along the way
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Doreen Gordon
Doreen Gordon marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
905_schrama
905_schrama marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Heather Delaney
Heather Delaney marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Kaja
Kaja added it
May 18, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Carolyn Francis
Carolyn Francis marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Martin
Martin added it
Mar 01, 2014
Jason Leiper
Jason Leiper marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Grand Days Cold Light Martini : A Memoir Forty-Seventeen Futility And Other Animals