Start by marking “Camelot 3000” as Want to Read:
Camelot 3000

Camelot 3000

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  56 reviews
In the year 3000, an armada of destructive aliens has unleashed an all-out assault on Earth and is poised to conquer the planet. But when a young boy stumbles upon the crypt of King Arthur, the legendary monarch and the Knights of the Round Table are magically reincarnated. Together once again, King Arthur, Sir Lancelot, Merlin, and the rest of the classic knights take on ...more
Published March 1st 1988 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Camelot 3000, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camelot 3000

Doreen
I first read this when I was 14, and it completely blew my mind. This was in the early 90s, and I'd never before encountered a comicbook that explored the themes that this one did. This was probably the collection that cemented my admiration for the art form, for its ability to convey messages that art and text on their own just couldn't quite manage. I've always looked back on this series with an extreme, 5-star fondness.

Recently, my best friend expressed an interest in reading more comics, and
Marcello Tarot
La Saga Arturiana nel futuro

Barr ha preso elementi tipici della saga arturiana (l’amore di Artù per Ginevra, l’amore di Ginevra per Lancillotto con il conseguente successivo tradimento, Morgana sorellastra e nemica di Artù, giusto per citare quelli più noti, ma si potrebbe andare avanti a lungo) e li ha trasposti nell’anno 3000, in una Terra invasa e sottomessa da alieni; una Terra, insomma, che ricalca la terra originaria di Artù che la unificò contro i barbari e così fa l’Artù del 3000 unifica
Antonio
Tras leer sobre las leyendas artúricas junto a Steinbeck, y a falta de profundizar en hechos como la búsqueda del Grial, caballeros como Galahad, Tristan, Mordred o la muerte de Arturo de mano de la obra de Sir Thomas Malory, me decidí a lanzarme con esta particular versión de los mitos.

Situados en el año 3000, este cómic nos traslada al regreso del rey Arturo ya que la profecía lo dice: cuando Inglaterra (y el mundo) más lo necesite, Arturo volverá. Así, el rey vuelve en plena invasión alieníge
Federico
Il perché di questo libro: Camelot 3000 è una pietra miliare nella storia del fumetto moderno. La prima maxi serie ad essere distribuita esclusivamente nel canale delle librerie, e per di più il primo fumetto ad utilizzare la dicitura 'for mature readers'.
L'opera è una rivisitazione del mito arturiano, uno dei più affascinanti e longevi del panorama anglosassone.
Scelta difficile, affrontata con passione da Mike W. Barr, che ambienta la sua storia nell'anno 3000, in un contesto di 'space-opera'
Tomás
Bueno, después de haber leído este comic es muy probable que si alguien me pregunta cual es mi dibujante favorito yo le diga "Brian Bolland". La mayoría de las estrellitas son para él, porque el guión, no siendo malo en absoluto, en algunos tramos se me hizo "a poco" comparado con los lápices de este zarpado dibujante. Sabiendo lo mínimo de las leyendas del Rey Arturo se puede disfrutar más que bien.
Recomendado para todo aquel que quiera leer algo divertido y tremendamente dibujado.
Arthurian Lucre
I have so much to say about this comic, but first of all: I am not an expert on comics, yes I like to read marvel comics but by no means I am an expert of DC or in general comicbooks. I am an arthurian fan so I am going to review this comic from an arthurian point of view.

(view spoiler)
Matt Piechocinski
You know what's really great about late 80s DC? It's subtle subversity. I mean, Sir Tristan being reicarned as a woman, a man trapped in a woman's body, but still loving Isolade who is also reincarnated as a woman? Now, reading something like that would be cheesy or cliched, but back then, it's pretty groundbreaking. It's really to bad the rest of the GN couldn't take it's queue from that and evolve into a more compelling story.
Paul
I've always been a sucker for a King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table book.
And I guess they managed to sucker me into this one as well :-)
No regrets as it's a nice futuristic version of a familiar story with a couple of added twists to freshen it up. And with nice artwork by a young(-er) Brian Bolland it's visually pleasing to look at.
Daniel A.
When I first read Camelot 3000, the first direct-market comic published by DC, it was in the individual issues, and as back issues that I had picked up somewhere. Since then, I've read almost every Outsiders comic written by Camelot 3000 writer Mike W. Barr, and in retrospect, Batman and the Outsiders was more than a bit clumsy, and often heavy-handed in its politics. So when I re-read Camelot 3000, I was expecting a frankly substandard effort from Barr, despite the always-gorgeous art from Bria ...more
Imanol Cinta
This books was recommended to me because i was working in an Kings Arthur themed draw. I find interesting the bold choices the writer took, and the art in good, but the story is not good. I dont like the characters and the exposure. You can see that is just a series of events the author wanted to happen and the characters and circunstances had to addapt to meet them. For me thats lousy storytelling and could not enjoy any part of it. The only interesting part is the conflict of Tristans reincarn ...more
Wesley
This book is a collection of the first comic book maxi-series, as claimed in the introduction by Don and Maggie Thompson. The series was written by Mike W. Barr who is probably best known for his writing on various Batman titles such as Batman and the Outsiders, the Year Two story in Detective Comics and the Son of the Demon graphic novel. The art was by British artist Brian Bolland who is more often associated, these days, with fabulous cover art but also worked on early Judge Dredd stories for ...more
Ollie
I first read this comic series when I was 12 years old. I'd read anything back then published by Marvel or D.C. comics and I was at that impressionable age where the idea of muscular knights from Camelot being reborn in the year 3000 sounded like the coolest thing ever. King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table were either reborn or resurrected so they could fight aliens invading planet Earth, little realizing they were actually up against Arthur’s half-sister Morgan LeFay. Like other ambit ...more
Laura Wattie
Resurrection, Reincarnation, science fiction, fantasy, politics and sexuality all play a part in the classic DC comics 80s maxi series, if this series existed today I could imagine it would be a beloved Image book in the style of Saga and Shutter. Overall this is a fun series, that could seem new today and Brian Bollard (whose probably most famous for his role in the Alan Moore classic, The Killing Joke) art is on full display here. I recommend if you like science fiction, Arthurian mythology, s ...more
Irene McHugh
I've never read a graphic novel. I read a few comic books in college, but those were random story lines I just picked up. I never dedicated myself to following a series. This graphic novel is set in the future where King Arthur, Merlin, and the Knights of the Round Table are reincarnated to save planet Earth from alien invaders manipulated by the reincarnated forms of Morgan LeFay and Mordred. I liked it. There were some interesting parts where science-fiction got to meet fantasy and all rules c ...more
Stephen
Storywise, this was so-so. Aliens invading earth, knights of olde must defend earth. It takes place in the future, so there are some fish-out-of-water moments, and things blow up real good.

Artwise, however, this is good stuff. When Brian Bolland draws a character, an expression, or a physical object of any kind, you know exactly what you are looking at.

I'm not sure what Bolland has done with his time during this career of his. Other than this title, all I've really seen him do is about one mon
Don Massi
Terrific story! I haven't read this since the 80s but picked up the delux edition hard cover and read and re=read it 3 times already! Camelot 3000 is a great reworking of the Arthurian legend and science fiction.
And the characters are just so compelling. This is surely one of the all time great comic book stories.
Thom Foolery
I have vague recollections of this series from my childhood. It was fun and brought back some interesting memories. It has inspired a new kick, one that follows up on my Germanic paganism marathon, and that is to read all of the Camelot mtyhos stuff I have on hand.
Chris
The tale of King Arthur's return, were it to happen in the year 3000. Filled with such things as: aliens, scantily clad women, a transgender knight, lesbians, ogres, things blowing up, Medieval England, the Holy Grail, and…Oregon. Definitely not ordinary, but also really not my cuppa. Great for a teen reader who is familiar with Arthurian Legend, and sci-fi.
Rachel
King Arthur and his round table (plus some mythological ladies) come back to defend Earth in an alien attack. It's well-written, especially for its time. The few things that irk me can't be helped, since times change so much.
Dave
I remember reading this back when I was in middle school. I was totally fascinated by it and I'm glad to be able to revisit it as an adult. An exciting science fiction retelling/ continuation of the Arthurian legends.
Robert
The gender juxtaposition of Sir Tristan and the emotional impact was well ahead of its time. That said, it's hard at times to look at a comic/graphic novel from the 80's and not have your eyes jarred. It's like watching Star Wars again now. You can still appreciate it for what it is, but it doesn't hold the same imaginative relevance it once did.

I'd definitely recommend it, but at times it will feel a little "pigs in space"-y.
Alexander
Originally printed and released in the 80's, this is a great story based on the Arthurian legend with beautiful art that really puts you in the story. For lovers of both Arthur and comics, highly recommended.
Oliver Hodson
It is a space melodrama and it fits the bill absolutely. It is big and silly and fun most of the time, and has some great moments for sure. Not sure if it holds together in the end but it was ok. The art was very clean and crisp, which suited arthur more than id did the villains. I would also like a bit more explanation of why he trusts merlin so much if he is the devil's son but not morgan le fay.
Glenj
King Arthur comes back from the dead to defeat aliens invading earth. Now if that premise alone doesn't reek of awesomness, then you probably have no business reading this graphic novel. I just re-read this over the weekend, & it's every bit as fun as I remembered. You have to take into account when this comic was made, don't expect a modern, Ultimate-Bendis comic with hip edgy art. 300 pages of Brian Bolland pencils is better than most current artists in my opinion, but the story does read ...more
Matt Kelland
When this first came out in the mid-80s, I wasn't that impressed with it. I re-read it with very low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. Sure, it's the kind of cheesy story you expect from a sci-fi King Arthur story issued by DC, but it was good fun.

It was extremely dated: Bolland was definitely drawing on 80s culture for costume inspiration. However, what I hadn't realized is that at the time it was definitely edgy, although it's tame by modern standards, with its themes of transgender
J
this story was the book that started my comic book addiction. Never looked back.
Becky
I received this for Christmas as something of a gag gift, but on reading the introduction, I discovered to my immense glee that this little graphic novel was actually the precursor to the Vertigo line of comics and one of the very first mainstream comics to feature mature content, since as a miniseries it wasn't under the jurisdiction of the Comics Code.

The writing was fairly cheesy, but the art was wonderful and it had some pretty snazzy plot-arcs, notably featuring what I assume is the first e
Ben
Interesting version of the Arthurian stories, set in the future with the chief characters from Malory reincarnated in some familiar and unfamiliar roles (Percival is a mutant and Tristan is a woman). There are some fun moments (Morgan and Morded's political games), some creepy moments (Ninive's face), some melodramatic moments (Arthur's jealousy over Guinevere), some retrograde moments (a dejected Tristan saying Isolde deserves a real man), and some bizarre moments (Modred makes the Holy Grail i ...more
Matt
I reread this this summer. Such a blast, this book. King Arthur, in the future, fighting aliens!!

Seriously, this book tauts itself as the "continuation" of Malory's "Le Morte D'Arthur," and with its over-the-top storytelling, grand romance, and mythic characterization, it might just be telling the truth. I haven't read Malory, but the experience of reading T.H. White's "The Once and Future King" bore a lot of resemblance to this.

Plus, it's Brian Bolland art. Fucking gorgeous.
  • The New Teen Titans: The Terror of Trigon
  • The Arthurian Encyclopedia
  • The Complete Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection
  • Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
  • Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga
  • JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America)
  • A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering
  • The Middleman: The Collected Series Indispensability
  • JSA, Vol. 3: The Return of Hawkman
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 2
  • Zero Hour: Crisis in Time
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 3: Unresolved Targets
Mike W. Barr is an American writer of comic books, and mystery, and science fiction novels. Barr's debut as a comics professional came in DC Comics' Detective Comics #444 (Dec. 1974-Jan. 1975), for which he wrote an 8-page back-up mystery feature starring the Elongated Man. Another Elongated Man story followed in Detective Comics #453 (November 1975). He wrote text articles and editorial replies i ...more
More about Mike W. Barr...
Batman: Son of the Demon Batman: Year Two: Fear the Reaper Batman: Birth of the Demon Batman: In Darkest Knight Batman: Full Circle