Start by marking “Clean Break” as Want to Read:
Clean Break

Clean Break

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  2,562 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Em adores her funny, glamorous dad - who cares if he's not her real father? He's wonderful to her, and to her little brother Maxie and sister Vita. True to form at Christmas, Dad gives them fantastic presents, including a real emerald ring for his little Princess Em.

Unfortunately he's got another surprise in store - he's leaving them. Will Dad's well-meaning but chaotic at
Published October 9th 2008 by Yearling (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Clean Break, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clean Break

Caroline
The book is called Clean Break and it is about a girl named Em, and her siblings Vita and Maxie. Their parents are getting a divorce because their dad is with another women. The mother and her children, Em, Vita and Maxie, are very sad and now they don't have that much money as they used to have and the father doesn't want to give his money for the children so they have the very difficult time. It is a very sad book as it is possible to cry, but it's still a really good book and if you read it, ...more
Taja
The beauty of Jacqueline Wilson's books is in the fact that she writes about bad family situations, about flawed people, about parents who are not necessarily good parents, about abuse and guilt and courage to defy adults who are not always correct and not always smart ... And she writes about these things in books targeted for children.

It is essentially the most important thing, to tell children that they are not alone in their experiences, that they should not feel ashamed for not loving a par
Aisling Mc Morrow
‘Clean Break’ is a book about real family life and the troubles that they encounter. It is a truly deep story and I felt very sympathetic towards the main character, Emily, for the entirety of the book. The story is centred around Emily (Em for short), her gran, her stepfather, her mum, her half-brother Maxie and half-sister Vita. Em adores her stepdad, Frankie and wishes that he was her biological dad. He showers the family with gifts for Christmas, including an emerald ring for his emerald Em. ...more
Celeste2323
it was very adventurous through out the book but there were the odd boring parts but apart from that it was great
Emy
It seems like the perfect Christmas Day, until Em overhears her stepdad talking on the phone to another woman. Soon, Dad is gone and Em is wishing wishing wishing he would come back.

This is not one of Jacqueline Wilson's better novels, which is a shame. I mean, the children's love of their dad was realistic and sweet, but I found it hard to feel any affection for a guy who was cheating on his wife and willing to leave his kids to be with this other woman. I didn't want him to come back, so I fou
Chiquita Hindarto
Sebenarnya, menurut saya buku ini terlalu 'berat' kalau dikategorikan sebagai buku anak-anak, walaupun buku ini menceritakan tentang penderitaan seorang Emily yang harus menghadapi perpisahan dalam keluarga, berikut cemoohan karena bentuk badannya yang jauh dari ideal.

Namun buku ini menurut saya baik dibaca oleh orangtua yang memang ingin mengetahui apa yang ada di dalam pikiran seorang anak, apa yang dihadapi oleh seorang anak sehari-harinya dan bagaimanakah cara terbaik menghadapi anak ?
Apakah
Leah
Jul 09, 2013 Leah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jacqueline Wilson fans
Recommended to Leah by: My Friend - Sarah Parker
I am indecisive about my feelings towards this book. I love the connections between the characters and their relationships, but I didn't feel sympathy towards the step-dad that they all adore, yet he is happy to leave them for a sexy new lady who is arrogant and obnoxious.

I liked the story-line of the reality of broken homes. I loved the ending where he comes back to them after a couple of disasterous relationships, a whole year later. I found it interesting the way the family struggles to cope
Umayyah
This was the first 'big' book I read. I used to be one of the people who chose the thinnest books with the biggest writing so that I could finish quickly and because I never really liked reading. Well I didn't give them a chance, probably because all the books I'd previously read had been rubbish.

But after I read this book I actually started reading the blurbs of books and choosing books for their story instead of their size.
Lyndee
I read this book at a time when a lot of my friends parents were getting divorced and i was struggling to understand why or what was happening. At 10 years of age however i read this book and the prospect of divorce became a lot less "foreign" to me. one of the things i love about Wilson is that she addresses such topical issues (such as divorce) in such an understanding and sensitive manner. not only does this appeal to children for entertainment purposes, but it also illuminates "foreign" idea ...more
Emmy
Clean break is a good book which deals with issues such as divorce and how kids settle in to a new start. Ems mother and father have split up, leaving her to entertain her younger siblings and juggle family life with personnel life. It is good but not amazing. I felt in some parts it was dragged on and n believing snippets of it. Overall though a nice read for a fan of family issues books.
TammyReads
Is it just me or does Jacqueline Wilson write about the same thing again and again? I truly feel most of her books either have family problems, a disease or kids not fitting in. It's all the same. Some books of hers are different but some, most are the same. It's just repetitive. I want to know something new. Not the same thing again and again.
Annabel
Dame Jacqueline Wilson (a very deserved title!) is, in my opinion, the best contemporary children's writer. She writes perfectly, in content, theme, style and accessibility for children from aged 6 to 13 (ish - of course this varies among children). She writes flawlessly for children, I could not find a single fault.

She is never patronizing and introduces young people to important life issues such as love, poverty, friendship, adolescence, separated parents, illnesses and so much more, in a mann
Kara
This book was a pretty good book. It was really easy to read and i enjoyed it. This book was about a family and how her dad left them at christmas time. The dad bought all the kids great presents that year so that the would always remeber him. One of the gifts was a reindeer and Em the girl would always make up storys about her dad and act like the reindeer was telling then. The kids would wish every day that there dad would return. One day he came back and the family was really happy but he end ...more
Samantha Rich
One of my favourite Jaqueline Wilson books because I was able to relate to it. My parents split up a few years before this books, but it was good to read something that expressed the feelings and thoughts of the children in these situations. Very we'll written, and very relatable characters.
Gem
This book helped me so much when I was younger and is a clear example of how Jacqueline Wilson can cover sensitive themes but in a way that's appealing to her readers around the ages of 11-14
Ursula Clancy
ugh...such a typical book, especially for Jacqueline Wilson. When I read this I didn't really like it.
Jessica Comley
I found it quite a slow book but I got into it and found it quite interesting.
Ruth
I read this ages ago but would still revisit it cos its sooo good
Mariam
I liked itt,, really..
But the kids are too whiny!!
A reason of why I can't tolerate kids..
Anyway..
The whole thing could be so true,, I mean the story..
When I reached the end of the story,, I thought the writer was a bit exaggerating,,
I thought she was going to make all this "they-lived-happily-ever-after" ending..
Until the last page,, which made me content.. =]
Wilson still kept her style,, stil remembered the goal of writing this one book.. =]
She didn't tell how the story exactly ended..
I guess s
Dalia
I want to read this
Leslie Ann
Amanda O'Donnell
He's wonderful to her, and to her little brother and sister. True to form at Christmas, Dad gives them fantastic presents, including a real emerald ring for his little Princess Em. Unfortunately he's got another surprise in store – he's leaving them. Will Dad's well-meaning but chaotic attempts to keep seeing Em and the other children help the family come to terms with this new crisis? Or would they be better off with a clean break – just like Em's arm?
Everybody was against the gran although she was trying to make them see sense.
They were all protective about the dad although it was usual for him to fall for other women.
It is okay to love your dad but if he's putting your mom through all this trouble it's not good to keep wishing that he comes back. And the mom needs to get a life!
The best character was gran who was the only sane person. The bond between the children was good too.
Nina
This book was definitely one of my favorite from Jacqueline Wilson. I adored how nice Em was to her siblings despite all the hard things she was going through. This story explains the hard things some kids have to go through, like their parents splitting up. This was a very touching yet super funny book. I loved it and this is the kind of book that you don't exactly get tired of. I might even re-read it sometime!
Oom Bovornvirakit
Even though I read this book a long time ago, I still recall how the cover was not particularly outstanding or engaging. However, as I started reading, I felt that this book was not only interesting and original, but also had such tragedy in it. The children have to go through so much as young kids, and triggered such emotional responses from me and everyone else I had recommended this to. An amazing read.
Mollie Coppeland
Fabulous. Jacqueline Wilson has that way of drawing you in. This is about Em who loves her stepdad really much but then he leaves the family leaving Em and her little brother and sister Vita and Maxie in tears. Near the end Em breaks her arm and her stepdad takes her to hospital. It takes place other an entire year.
~ Mollie
Ellie
This is a good book.

It is Christmas Day when Em hers her Stepdad on the phone to a girl. What she hears ruins the hole Day. The next day her dad is gone. She barely sees him and when he take her and the sister and brother to the fair. It goes to far. So the mum says lets go for a Clean Break. But will it stay that way?
Conor Morgan
It's weird for me to write a review on a book I read half a decade a go...but...I could relate to some of the characters (which does not happen often) in very realistic ways. Looking at it now, it seems like a really childish fantasized book. But before, I knew I like it !!!THE ONLY JACQUELINE WILSON BOOK IVE EVER LIKED!!!
Giselle
I thought this book was the best book I read until I read another book but this book talked about family relationship and it really hooked me in and I was a interesting book to read. I thought this book really made me ask questions about what was going to happen next and how the problems will be solved.
Clean break 4 12 Sep 02, 2012 10:21PM
  • Ginger Snaps
  • 32c That's Me
  • Mermaid Magic
  • Jane Blonde: Sensational Spylet (Jane Blonde, #1)
  • Cloud Busting
  • Boys for Beginners
  • A Glittering Gallop (Magic Kitten, 8)
  • Horrid Henry Gets Rich Quick
  • Fruit and Nutcase (Diary, #3)
  • Sweet-talking TJ
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...
The Story of Tracy Beaker Double Act Girls in Love (Girls, #1) The Illustrated Mum Vicky Angel

“wow it was sad the break up thing in xmas but in the end they got back together but the father soo hush to the children” 8 likes