Start by marking “Heatstroke: Nature in an Age of Global Warming” as Want to Read:
Heatstroke: Nature in an Age of Global Warming

Heatstroke: Nature in an Age of Global Warming

In 2006, one of the hottest years on record, a “pizzly” was discovered near the top of the world. Half polar bear, half grizzly, this never-before-seen animal might be dismissed as a fluke of nature. Anthony Barnosky instead sees it as a harbinger of things to come.

In Heatstroke, the renowned paleoecologist shows how global warming is fundamentally changing the natural wo
Published March 13th 2009 by Shearwater (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heatstroke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heatstroke

Carmen
Sep 20, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the effects of global warming
Even though this was a bit of a slow read for me, I still enjoyed it. I didn't ever think that plate tectonics would have an effect on climate change. I also found it interesting reading about the Irish Elk. It was nice to read about Yosemite National Park and Yellowstone. I also enjoyed reading about the trips people made to various parts of the world to assess climate, and I seem to have found an explanation why the place where I stay where the past winter wasn't so cold, very interesting.
Anna
Jun 27, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Interesting to see a non-fiction book from a mainstream publisher turn up on the free lists. I read the first three chapters and enjoyed them, but probably won't get around to reading the rest since I have more relevant non-fiction waiting on my attention. The parts I did read were well-written, but left me with that "what are we supposed to do about it?" taste in my mouth. Plus, I suddenly wanted to read a whole book on how gardening and farming will change due to climate change.

Maybe I should
Erin O'Riordan
Mar 23, 2015 Erin O'Riordan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I would recommend this book on the potential effects of global warming to anyone. It's simply a good summary of a wide variety of data from different sciences, organized in a way that makes sense to us non-scientists. It's a little depressing, some of the scenarios that could take place if our species doesn't get global warming under control in the next 10-20 years. Still, when we're armed with information, then we can make informed choices.

If you know people who are global warming/climate chan
Teri Zipf
Aug 21, 2014 Teri Zipf rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I began this read a few chapters, and it seemed interesting, but ultimately I can't stand to be depressed night after night.
Donna
Aug 23, 2014 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book that explains how global warming affects so much more than you think. But a lot of figures and scientific data.
Sofia
Aug 25, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To quote Bender from Futurama: Well, we're boned.
Karenbike Patterson
Very good info about how nature, ecosystems and species will change over the next 60 years at best case and worst case scenarios. There is a good list at the end of simple things we all can do to make a difference.
Kate Roark
Mar 23, 2010 Kate Roark rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book about the effects that climate change is having on nature right now. Very interesting and thought-provoking.
Deb
Jan 02, 2015 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information, but pretty dry. Had to be read in small chunks!
Teghan Collingwood
Teghan Collingwood marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
KB
KB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Brian Stebner
Brian Stebner marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Edward J Weiss
Edward J Weiss marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Nakameguro
Nakameguro is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Herb Simmens
Herb Simmens is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2016
Katy
Katy is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2016
Steph Yager
Steph Yager rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2016
Venu Gopal
Venu Gopal marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle
Cheekylala_kindle marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Holley Bloss
Holley Bloss is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Michaelene
Michaelene marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
  • The Wolf's Tooth: Keystone Predators, Trophic Cascades, and Biodiversity
  • Everyday Vegetarian Family Cookbook: 100 Delicious Meatless Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Recipes you Can Make in Minutes! (FREE BONUS RECIPES: 10 Natural ... Beauty Recipes) (Healthy Cookbook Series)
  • Imperial Dreams: Tracking the Imperial Woodpecker Through the Wild Sierra Madre
  • 101 Gluten Free Vegan Italian Food
  • Vegetarian Recipes For Meat Eaters: Flexitarian Diet Recipes For People Who Can’t Give Up Meat (Vol. 3)
  • Stir-Fry Yourself Skinny
  • Pope John XXIII: The Good Pope
  • The Art of Perfect Bread Baking
  • Satisfying Slow Cooker Meals and More
  • The Eternal Frontier: An Ecological History of North America and Its Peoples
  • Healthy and Delicious Low Carb Cooking
  • Let Them Eat Shrimp: The Tragic Disappearance of the Rainforests of the Sea
  • Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
  • Open: How We’ll Work, Live and Learn In The Future
  • An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World
  • The Brigade: An Epic Story of Vengeance, Salvation & World War II
  • Rebooting My Brain: How a Freak Aneurysm Reframed My Life
  • The Book of Maybe: Finding Hope and Possibility in Your Life

“Tiger salamanders have the ability to either remain in an advanced tadpole stage, ultimately reaching sexual maturity without ever leaving the water, or to metamorphose into full-blown, land-dwelling salamanders that lose the tadpole tail. You” 1 likes
“Over the past 400 years, the extinction rate for mammals appears to be between 17 percent and 377 percent faster than normal.
Now, add to that already-existing extinction pressure the”
1 likes