Start by marking “Republic of Love” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Republic of Love

Nizar Qabbani

Republic of Love

By far the most popular poet of the Arab World, popular in the true sense of the word. The late Nizar Kabbani's selected poems appear here in English for the first time. So popular is he that one of his poems is the greatest love song in the Arab world, recorded by the legendary Egyptian singer Um Khaslsoum and played on virtually every taxi's radio across the Middle East.
Published (first published 2002)

Theodora
Sep 07, 2009 Theodora rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Nizar Qabbani. Some day, I hope to learn enough Arabic to read and listen to his poems without the barrier of translation.
Harrison
Jul 24, 2014 Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not often that I sit for an evening immersed in love poetry. To have just had such an evening, I'm amazed I do not do it more.

For me, to read a poem for the first time--let alone an entire collection of poems--is to be overcome with a visceral but fleeting beauty. Apart from the true classics, the "O Captain My Captain"s of the world, I do not simply read a poem and instantly remember it or even any constituent part of it. And yet, simply 'waterskiing across the surface' of a collection li
NMCannon
Nov 05, 2015 NMCannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading (and being delighted by) ARABIAN LOVE POEMS, I was very excited to read REPUBLIC OF LOVE and I was not disappointed. Kabbani's poems are an honest delight, at once addressed to a specific reader and a universal audience. I'm so, so happy to have discovered this poet. It's a high honor just to read his work in English, knowing how divided he was about having his works translated.

Unlike with ARABIAN LOVE POEMS, this book featured longer poetic works, and the selections themselves see
David Child
Oct 15, 2016 David Child rated it it was amazing
The poetry and prose of a man about love, women, love, Arab cultures and history, love, women... as never talked about by any other nor with such passion described in powerful and amazing imagery.
...shokran Leila; may I remember you forever.
Christine
Oct 26, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it
Beautiful, thought-provoking poems - only regret is my inability to read them in their original Arabic.
Jihed Khiary
Jihed Khiary rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2012
Eng Mohmad
Eng Mohmad rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Patricia Killelea
Patricia Killelea rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2010
Lizette
Lizette rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2013
Ahmed Sawwan
Ahmed Sawwan rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2013
Mona Wazzan
Mona Wazzan rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Dryades
Dryades rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Ramon Barahona zambrano
Ramon Barahona zambrano rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Leilah
Leilah rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2011
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Ahmed
Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Vinayak Seshadri
Vinayak Seshadri rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Chemo
Chemo rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2010
Maram Nasser
Maram Nasser rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2013
Hillary
Hillary rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Mohammad Solaiman
Mohammad Solaiman rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
Wael
Wael rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Jack Ekermawi
Jack Ekermawi rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2013
Rami
Rami rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Amal Hassan
Amal Hassan rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Zaineb
Zaineb rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2010
Omar De Siria
Omar De Siria rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
Khaled Hammoud
Khaled Hammoud rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2016
Qabbani was revered by generations of Arabs for his sensual and romantic verse. His work was featured not only in his two dozen volumes of poetry and in regular contributions to the Arabic-language newspaper Al Hayat, but in lyrics sung by Lebanese and Syrian vocalists who helped popularize his work.

Through a lifetime of writing, Qabbani made women his main theme and inspiration. He earned a reput
More about Nizar Qabbani...