Start by marking “Beautiful Death” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Death

Beautiful Death (DCI Jack Hawksworth #2)

A calculating killer, who ′trophies′ the faces of his victims, is targeting Londoners.

Under enormous pressure from politicians and the public, DCI Jack Hawksworth and his team begin their investigation, which takes them into the murky world of human organ trading.

But when the murderer strikes closer to home than Jack could ever have imagined possible, the case becomes a pe
Published April 2009 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Death

Brenda
When DCI Jack Hawksworth and his team learned of the discovery of mutilated bodies where their faces had been removed, Jack was immediately put in charge of Panther, the operational group that was set with finding the psychopathic killer. The best of the best were tasked for this case; but the horrific shock Jack received on sitting in on an autopsy of the latest victim would cause much grief, heartache and anger. It was now personal – Jack would put this barbaric killer behind bars if it was ...more
Diana Hockley
Feb 18, 2014 Diana Hockley rated it it was amazing
Detective Jack Hawksworth of New Scotland Yard has been the main feature in a previous novel, Bye Bye Baby, remnants of which are referred to in this excellently written and exciting second appearance of the character.

Someone has been taking the faces of corpses - and kidneys as well - and dumping the bodies at the side of the canal. The inevitable nosy dog turns up and uncovers the first of the deaths, but then a catastrophe.

Jack is having an affair with the beautiful Lily whose traditional Ch
Margaret
Mar 09, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, 2015-challenge
I love it when I find a new author and a new character.

The character is DCI Jack Hawksworth of New Scotland Yard.

"Beautiful Death" is the second book in the series, but doesn't leave you out of your depth as the author refers back to the previous book just enough to let you know what is going on, but not so much as to be annoying.

The plot revolves around corpses found with organs missing and their faces removed. Is this to stop identification... or is it much more sinister than that?

When someon
Jacqui
Aug 16, 2010 Jacqui rated it it was ok
Fiona McIntosh's main character is a male copper but acts and talks live a woman. No male copper I've ever known (and I worked with police for 10 years)sounds like him. He's a woman in drag. The main female characters is meant to be a brilliant detective but spends her time mooning about the male characters. If she's brilliant, I've yet to see signs of it. I just want to slap her. The plot is off the wall and not believable. Her first 'Bye Bye Baby' (written as Lauren Crow) was okay but this one ...more
Elise Johnson
Nov 12, 2016 Elise Johnson rated it really liked it
Not quite as gripping as the first, but still enough twists and turns to make me appreciate the exceptional talent it takes to keep a reader captivated right until the last page. Hopefully this isn't the last we hear from DCI Jack Hawksworth
Karen
Apr 29, 2009 Karen rated it it was ok
Now a little housekeeping before we go too far. Beautiful Death is the second DCI Jack Hawksworth book, published under the author's real name of Fiona McIntosh. The first, Bye Bye Baby, was published under the pseudonym Lauren Crow. Fiona is a well known Fantasy writer in Australia, and these two books are her first foray into crime fiction.

DCI Jack Hawksworth has a good working relationship with his team - they are a close group who have worked together on dreadful cases before. The team, and
Sandie
Sep 15, 2015 Sandie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Bodies are turning up in London. Their condition is particularly repellent; the faces have been completely removed along with their kidneys. Is this a psychopath? Someone selling organs on the black market?

DCI Jack Hawksworth is called upon to head up the team investigating the case. He pulls together members such as Kate, who have worked with him before, and a translator since several of the bodies appear to have been those of illegal immigrants. But Jack is blindsided the moment he takes ove
Kate Bolton
I have been waiting to read this since I finished the first book in this series and I was not disappointed!

This was a story full of suspense, interesting characters and mystery (although I am not known for being able to pick 'whodunit'!). I enjoyed the fact that I got to know some of the main charaters a bit better in this story and enjoyed the fact that their personal lives were intertwined with the murder mystery.

Some of the characters were still resolving issues that arose in the first book,
Tsvetelina Stambolova-Vasileva
Накратко за книгата: В Лондон върлува жесток убиец, който със скалпел изрязва лицата на жертвите си. Повечето от тях са хора, които никой не би потърсил, но последната е красавица от добро семейство. Джак Хоуксуърт оглавява случая, когато изведнъж всичко става твърде лично. Последната жертва се оказва млада китайка, с която той има тайна връзка,тъй като семейството ѝ се готви да я омъжи за богат лекар. Хоуксуърт се впуска в надпревара с времето, за да открие убиеца, преди той да нападне пак. ...more
Sandy Vaile
Jul 06, 2012 Sandy Vaile rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get into the story, possibly because its parts didn't come together for a while, but once charming Jack came on the scene, I was hooked. There was lots of police investion, with a kidnapping and exciting race to save Kate's life. The ending has a hook which links it to the first in the Jack Hawksworth series 'Bye Bye Baby' (a 5 start read!) and leads onto the next book.

The editing in this eBook left a lot to be desired, but don't let it put you off one of my favourite autho
Sue
Jan 17, 2014 Sue rated it liked it
Really liked it. Yep there were a few holes and annoyances but it was a good storyline. I worked it out early but that didnt detract from the build of trying to solve the murders where faces and skin were disappearing at an alarming rate. Our head Detective can be annoying as he always falls for the dangerous girl and ends up in hot water bc of it. The set up for the next book melded in very nicely. Enjoyable holiday read, enough to want to read the next one.
Sonja
Mar 06, 2015 Sonja rated it liked it
Didn't realize that when I read this, that it wasn't a stand alone book. It turned out to be better than I thought....I struggled at the beginning...pretty slow and mild compared to other thriller type books. Still enjoyable though.
Louise Payne
Oct 16, 2015 Louise Payne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down!

Another great book by Fiona McIntosh, kept me on the edge of my seat,leading me a dance full of intrigue, twisting & turning from page to page. I love the way she develops each character alongside the plot. Can't wait to read the sequel.....please, please!
Robyn
May 08, 2015 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Death by Fiona McIntosh

Different to other books I have read by this author, Beautiful Death, captured me with its intriguing plot from the first page and continued to excite me until the end.
Sue Caldwell
Apr 22, 2010 Sue Caldwell rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was fast pace, characters were very likeable except the baddies of course.
Maggie
Jan 29, 2015 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Great pace and characters. It was great to meet Jack Hawksworth again though I wanted to tell Kate to get a life! Another crime story please, Fiona McIntosh.
Leone Moffat
May 10, 2014 Leone Moffat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Read this book (over 400 pages) in a day and a bit. Great pace, exciting ending. Story a bit thin but that didn't detract too much from the ideas. Great holiday time reading.
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Ann Tonks
Ann Tonks rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Charlene Kuchirka
Charlene Kuchirka rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2015
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Rosemary Martin
Rosemary Martin rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Cherry Wolf
Cherry Wolf rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Bev Patman
Bev Patman rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Elaine Burrows
Elaine Burrows rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Stephen Lord
Stephen Lord rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2010
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2011
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • The Haunting of James Hastings
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller #3)
  • Girl Underground
  • The Devil's Diadem
  • The Drowning Pool
  • Western Approaches (DS Jimmy Suttle, #1)
  • A Killing in Kensington (Patrick Shea Mystery, #2)
  • Les Norton And The Case Of The Talking Pie Crust  (Les Norton, #19)
  • On Message (Jillian Hillcrest, #1)
  • Dead Man Running
  • The Eyes of Abel
  • Post Mortem
  • Killing the Rabbit
  • The Brush Off (Murray Whelan, #2)
  • The Root of All Evil (Trilogia del Male, #2)
  • Dear Mr. Killer
  • Closer... (In Too Deep #1)
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi
More about Fiona McIntosh...

DCI Jack Hawksworth (2 books)
  • Bye Bye Baby