Black Dogs: The Possibly True Story of Classic Rock's Greatest Robbery

Black Dogs: The Possibly True Story of Classic Rock's Greatest Robbery

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In July 1973, Led Zeppelin played three sold-out shows at New York’s Madison Square Garden. Before the final performance, $203,000 of the band’s money went missing from a safe deposit box at the Drake Hotel in what was called the single highest deposit box theft in the city’s history. The money was never recovered. Black Dogs might be the story behind the greatest rock ’n’...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Black Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Dogs

Tony
May 21, 2013 Tony rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
In 1973, Led Zepplin apparently had $203,000 in cash stolen from them while staying at the Drake Hotel in New York. The perpetrators were never caught and the money never recovered. That real-life event is the seed from which this fast-paced heist caper sprouted. Patrick, Alex, Frenchy, and Keith are a bunch of Baltimore friends in their late-teens/early-20s whose main pleasures in life are booze, drugs, rock and roll, and girls. Jobs only serve as means to one of the aforementioned ends, and be...more
Kevin
Aug 04, 2011 Kevin added it
Led Zeppelin apparently always demanded to be paid in cash for live shows. In 1973, following a stand at Madison Square Garden, someone stole over $200,000 from them. The crime was never solved, but this book uses that story as a jumping off point to imagine how it might have happened.

The concept is kind of hokey, one of the plot devices was very obvious to this reader (although not to any of the characters in the book) and the musical scenes in the book are the weakest (especially those with Z...more
AdultFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call#: Fiction Buhrmester

Madeleine - 1 star
Struggled to make it to 50 pages. At that point I quit as it was still a book about too cool boys who lamely name-drop their favorite bands while spending their days stealing and lying. And they don't even do that with any flair. I felt like I was at one of those excruciating diary readings where people go up on stage and read the MOST pathetic thing they ever wrote in their diaries during their teens in a desperate attempt to get a laugh. Nope.
Dennis
Scott
Led Zeppelin was robbed of $203,000 in cash back in the 70's when they were touring. No one ever found out what happened!! This book was a real quick read. It follows some 19 year old misfits who turn to robbery and conning in order to made due. It's pretty comical with skullduggery and fights and partaying and also lots of rock n roll references. It was fun to be in there little world. Rock!!
Brenda
I read this book in just a few hours. It's well written brain candy. Sharp, tight, and concise writing. Nothing deep or profound, just a good tale with shady anti-heroes you wouldn't want to know in real life, which of course makes them fascinating on the page! Buhrmester is a talented writer who can make you sympathize with criminals.
April
Does Jason love Black Sabbath? I think so! A great "fictional" account of how Led Zeppelin got robbed. I loved the little nuances of people in the book that remind me a little of mutual friends that we share. I heard a rumor that this book was picked up for a movie, and if it's true, can't wait to see this on the big screen!
Meghan
Fun, tight, fast-paced read about a group of guys post-high school engaged in lots of drinking, drugs, and petty crimes. The stakes are raised when they decide to steal a suitcase full of cash from Led Zeppelin. Black Dogs is a lot like most guys in their late teens/early twenties - full of swagger.
Beth
In 1973 over $200,000 was stolen from Led Zeppelin in a New York hotel. This story may have been what happened. Or not. It is a somewhat funny, somewhat gritty look at young adult life in the early 70s. I liked it.
Amber
A quick read about a band of friends (hoodlums?) who decide to rob Led Zeppelin during the height of their fame in the 1970's. Full of fits and stops, they manage the unimaginable in spite of themselves.
Richmond
Fun story about Sabbath-loving, car-stero-installing-n-stealing early 70s loserinos who somehow manage to steal from...Led Zepplin? YES.
Barbara
A quick, entertaining read. Was hoping for a bit more meat in the story and a better grip on rock history through the tale.
Stephanie
True rock and roll and a pinch of hoodlums. Great combo. I will be re-reading it down the road...Black humor at it's best.
Karen
Quick read for music lovers. Pretty simple but entertaining enough. Led Zepplin fans might get a chuckle...
Scott
I thought this was a quick and very funny read with a nice dose of suspense thrown in too.
Luc Vincent
This book was great, twists, turns failure and loss, unexpected gains and oh so much more!
Mikelkpoet
A fun story. A quick read. Nice pretense. I'm not down with Led Zeppelin anyway!
Tasha
Mildly entertaining. I probably would've found it a lot more amusing 10 years ago.
linnea
Jun 25, 2009 linnea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
This was a fun read. I loved the atmosphere of the 70s rock.
Ray Charbonneau
Intended to be humorous, anyhow.
Jen
BAD BOOK. NO STARS FOR YOU.
James Maiorana
good enough hurricane book
Wendi Walker
quick and fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Former editor at Playboy, current editor of Inked, Jason Buhrmester has been published in Maxim, Spin, Wired, the Village Voice, and other publications. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, where he is working on his second novel and listening to Black Sabbath."
More about Jason Buhrmester...
La grande rapina ai Led Zeppelin Black Dogs: The Possibly True Story of Classic Rock's Greatest Robbery