Start by marking “The Beat Book” as Want to Read:
The Beat Book

The Beat Book

The Beat movement exploded into American culture in the early 1950s with the force of prophecy. Not just another literary school, it was an artistic and social revolution. William S. Burroughs proclaimed that the Beat writers were “real architects of change. There is no doubt that we’re living in a freer America as a result of the Beat literary movement, which is an import ...more
Published July 10th 2007 by Shambhala (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Beat Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beat Book

Jillian
Jan 17, 2008 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Obsessed with the beat writers in high school too. Kerouac made me want to go into journalism as a matter of fact and I wished I could have attended Columbia like Gingsberg back than. Oh well, Cal. State Fullerton turned out to be a great journalism school just the same.
Matt
Dec 28, 2010 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah. A collection of writers including Kerouac, Cassidy, Welch, Ginsberg and many others. A group of writers that make you instantly uncool and obtuse to criticize and instantly a wannabe and a pretentious ass to praise. There’s no way to recommend or not recommend this book that will have weight with anyone.

You dig?

For what it’s worth, I got into Diane Di Prima’s poetry and some of Amiri Baraka. But little of what the others had included made much of an impression on me. All seem motivated to
Hannah
Aug 12, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
I've always had such a love and fascination for the Beat Generation - the hippies before the hippies.. with deep connections to Buddhism and Hinduism, and the desire to depict their thoughts and journeys through literature and poetry. Their intense spirituality, psychedelic drug use, beautiful imagery of nature, openness about sexuality, strong companionship, and stunning poetry captures my whole soul. This book had such a variety of all types of writers - some I loved and some I was unintereste ...more
Anne, Unfinished Woman
A
Jan 05, 2015 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compendium of poems, essays, etc. by "Beat" writers... something I normally would not pick up. But the work was compiled by Anne Waldman, with a foreword by Allen Ginsberg, and that probably makes all the difference. There are some stunning selections of work by Gregory Corso, Allen Ginsberg, Peter Orlovsky, Diane Di Prima and others. Less-known writers who shouldn't be less-known like Lenore Kandel and Bob Kaufman are also included.
Terri
Mar 16, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
La Beat Generation raccontata dagli scritti dei diretti interessati, un mondo che parla di innovazioni, di cultura, di amore, di passione per la letteratura e del bisogno di essere capito come uomini e scrittori.
Mike
Jan 09, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: top-shelf
I bought it at a library sale for 50 cents and it sat on my shelf for quite a while. I was disappointed that it didn’t have “Howl” in it, but it has much more to offer.
One of my favorites.
Genevieve C
Feb 18, 2008 Genevieve C rated it really liked it
I liked the blend of the different authors. Reading too much of any of their particular styles can get old after a while. Here we had contrast and context.
Lauren
Jul 18, 2007 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: beat fans
Shelves: anthologies
Nicely put-together book of beat writings by writers who were popular both at the height of the movement and today.
Lori108
Aug 07, 2011 Lori108 rated it it was ok
The best part about this book is it introduced me to the writings of Lenore Kandel. The rest of the book is forgettable.
Marina Lluch
Marina Lluch rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Jannell
Jannell rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2011
Katie Redding
Katie Redding rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Carlos Ramirez
Carlos Ramirez rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Miss Pam
Miss Pam rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Gianna
Gianna rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2008
Cat
Cat rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Meredith Wilson
Meredith Wilson rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2012
Corina Bernic
Corina Bernic rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
Damian Rees
Damian Rees rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Aliesha
Aliesha rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Punk Hostage
Punk Hostage rated it liked it
May 28, 2012
Sacha Renfrow
Sacha Renfrow rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
LaToya
LaToya rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2014
Jake Soiffer
Jake Soiffer rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Thriftygrrrl
Thriftygrrrl rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2010
Kreisha Ballantyne-dickes
Kreisha Ballantyne-dickes rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2014
  • Women of the Beat Generation: The Writers, Artists and Muses at the Heart of a Revolution
  • Selected Poems, 1947–1995
  • The Beat Hotel: Ginsberg, Burroughs and Corso in Paris, 1957-1963
  • These Are My Rivers: New and Selected Poems, 1955-1993
  • The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats: The Beat Generation and American Culture
  • The Best American Short Stories 2000
Anne Waldman was part of the late Sixties poetry scene in the East Village. She ran the St. Mark's Church Poetry Project, and gave exuberant, highly physical readings of her own work.

She became a Buddhist, worshipping with the Tibetan Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, who would also become Allen Ginsberg's guru. She and Ginsberg worked together to create a poetry school, the Jack Kerouac School of Disembo
More about Anne Waldman...