Start by marking “Mother, Help Me Live (One Last Wish, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mother, Help Me Live (One Last Wish, #3)

Mother, Help Me Live (One Last Wish #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,144 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Sarah McGreggor has leukemia and needs a bonemarrow transplant. It is at this critical moment thatSarah learns she was adopted. When the "OneLast Wish" check arrives, Sarah decides tosearch for her birth mother--and a chance for life. ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Published October 27th 2010 by Laurel Leaf (first published June 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mother, Help Me Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother, Help Me Live

Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDanielSix Months to Live by Lurlene McDanielSo Much to Live for by Lurlene McDanielA Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDanielAngels Watching Over Me by Lurlene McDaniel
Lurlene McDaniel Novels
12th out of 62 books — 82 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Giver by Lois LowrySpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Teen Novels of the 90s
63rd out of 152 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexia Bullard
I didn't get much further than the first chapter. I just couldn't get into it, and I didn't find it mentally stimulating. There are a lot of books that I don't find to be engaging mentally, but I still have fun reading them. I just really couldn't get into this one.
Nash
ok well ive been a fan of Lurlene Mcdaniel ever since i read my secret boyfriend and heart to heart i fell in love with her as in author. Her books are just so easy to read and although yes they are sad but they are nice an full of hope and love and inspiring. Even after a few years reading this book was ok i think i expected more. I still perfer heart to heart. i thought it was ok but sarah was very...disrespectful? i dont think she put a lot of thought into any of her decisions and she does ad ...more
Victoria
This is the only "terminal illness" Lurlene McDaniel book I've ever read; it was in my 5th grade classroom library and one of the books I picked up out of boredom.

I was pleasantly surprised by the themes and characters. Although the plot revolves around a terminally ill teenage girl searching for her biological mother (two heavy issues in one plot), it wasn't as cheesy or souped-up as I expected. The characters seemed fairly real, and the dynamics between the main character and her adoptive fami
Michelle
This book was about Sarah MacGreggor who is in desperate of a bone marrow transplant. She thought that her family would be able to donate their bone marrow for her. However, she found out that she was adopted daughter, which means her family cannot help. Her only hope is to find her biological mother in order to find the compatibile bone marrow to help her live.
I liked this book because it shows how a teenage girl struggle to find her mother and to save herself from the deadly cancerous cells. T
Lindsay
I really enjoyed this book. It was slightly different from the previous "One Last Wish" novels. It seemed to be less focused on the illness and more on the adoption and the hardships that come with that. I was happy how the book ended but really want to know how things pan out for Sarah and her family.
Saressa
This is such a sad book. the only book i ever cried about. Its really a great story tho. i like it beacuse its more of a real life story but not a biography but something like it. its so great. i reacommend this probley to somebody who like sappy stories
Mars
In "Mother, Help Me Live", author Lurlene McDaniel delves into the big issues of adoption and childhood cancer. These are not easy issues to cover and McDaniel does it well. The story is very compelling and I think an important one to read because the hardships faced by the main character, Sarah, are similar to those that touch so many of our lives. Readers can learn about what it is like on an emotional level for a child to find out that they are adopted, or to be facing serious illness and eve ...more
Miranda
This book was different from the previous two books in the series. Sarah finds out that she is adopted after she is told she will need a bone marrow transplant. Instead of really focusing in on Sarah's illness, the adoption is really front & center. I still enjoyed reading this because it showed you how Sarah felt after she found out that she had been adopted & how she dealt with it.
Yanira Varela
Mother help me live is a very good book. After reading the book it made me start thinking about if maybe I was adopted but it is a really good book and i think more people should read it.
Mary Bey
Very sweet and the ending nearly brought me to tears, like all Lurlene McDaniel books. The ending left me wondering what happened to her though!! It`s killing me!
David
This was a book that has a typical teen drama involved. The plot seemed a little contrived because I felt the author set the tone for the story because of the things she added and then took away. It is an overall interesting read and I was curious how it would end. The only problem I had with the novel is that it did not resolve any issue. The whole time we are reading about a girl who has cancer and needs a bone marrow transplant; however, when the novel ends, she still needs the transplant. Ma ...more
Madison Swingle
I loved the author used great description and the story was astounding and quite amazing
Kelly Ann
I love Lurlene McDaniel for my struggling readers. This is a quick and easy read with heart, even if it is predictable.
Robin Conley
Lurlene McDaniel's books are always good. They're honest, emotional, and a really sappy, but I enjoy them from time to time. I do find them cheesy at times, but McDaniel's has such a genuine way of portraying extreme sicknesses, at least in my mind, and how it affects the family of the sick person and the sick person him/herself. This book is no exception. It's interesting and an emotional story. It's not my favorite of her books, but it's an interesting one.
Hannah
Jul 30, 2010 Hannah added it
This book is about a girl who finds out she was adopted. Well there's more to it, but I mainly focused on this part of the book. See, I was adopted from China, but I've always known, and excepted it. I've always had trouble understanding why people freak out when they find out they are adopted, but this book kinda helped me see what it would have been like from the characters perspective. So I just wanted to point out why I liked this book so much :)
Coryn N
Mother Help Me Live is a great book. I gave it 5 stars because it really has a lot of interesting parts. You feel really bad for her in most of the story, because she is probably going to die. Going to find her mom just made it worse. The book does get better as it goes on, but in the beginning it is very sad. I recommend this book for anyone who is into books with a lot of suspense, it was hard to put it down!
Megan Anderson
I wanted to punch almost every character in this book for being bratty and stupid. My lack of sympathy for the protagonist made this book almost unreadable. It's not that her plight doesn't move me -- I'm all for adoption and cancer is a tragedy -- but her personality was so off-putting that I wanted to reach into the book and smush her. Not the worst book I've read lately, but far from the best.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very good book. I really enjoyed reading it. It is very touching and heartwarming at the same time. I felt bad for the main character and the struggle she had to face going through cancer. Not only dealing with the disease, but finding out that she is adopted and wanted to find her birth mother to see if she would help. I love "One Last Wish" series.
Caroline
Aug 08, 2008 Caroline rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the author, people curious about adoption
Sarah needs a bone marrow transplant, and she has never known she was adopted before now. So with some mysterious money from an even more mysterious benefactor, she goes searching for her birth parents, hoping for bone marrow.
A captivating novel!
Emily
This book made me cry and actually had a good ending this time compared to some of Lurlene's other books. Anyone who wants to read a touching story that will make you cry go by this now. You will love this book no matter what.
Sadie
OMW!!! I love these books!! I love all the books by Lurlene McDaniel!! They are about People with diseases and disorders, and the struggling loved ones around them!!! I would totally recommend these books to everyone!!
Jaclyn Goss
after reading this book and learning about leukemia, I thought I had it! Watch out for giving this to people with overactive imaginations, or if they are prone to bruises! :)
Alix West
Full of batshittery and offensiveness. Read my review at Forever Young Adult.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Alix

Read the drinking game and review here.
Sarai
I read many of Lurlene McDaniel's books as a teenager and loved them. I dont know how I would feel about them now but then it was a really nice story that made me cry.
Mrs. Schonour
I love this author, but this wasn't one of my favorite books. I like her style and narrative voice, but the plot didn't grab me the way it usually does.
Lindsay
This was a really good and sad book I really enjoyed it though. I would suggest this book to anyone who likes sad yet great stories.
Juliana Marie
Got really annoyed at Sarah. Being adopted is NOT that big of a deal. She was just a jerk to her mom at some points. But still touching.
Rondi Denning
This book is heartbreaking.. The fact of the adoption being unknown tears this family apart! Another great book written by McDaniel.
Maggie
This book wasn't quite as dramatic as some (most) of her othe rbooks. There really wasn't any big medical crisis.
  • Katherine: Heart of Freedom (Hearts and Dreams, #1)
  • In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)
  • Flight #116 Is Down!
  • My Anastasia (Beneath the Crown, #3)
  • Road Trip (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Chloe, #3)
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • No Time to Die (Dark Secrets, #3)
  • Don't Hurt Laurie
  • Just a Summer Romance
  • Lycana (Die Erben der Nacht, #2)
  • Reality Check (Clearwater Crossing, #2)
  • A Stitch in Time (Quilt Trilogy, #1)
  • Heart of Gold (Chestnut Hill, #3)
  • Somnia (Uralte Metropole, #4)
  • Primeval: Extinction Event
  • A Royal Pain
  • Lightning's Last Hope (Thoroughbred: Ashleigh, #1)
  • The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...
Don't Die, My Love Angels Watching Over Me (Angels Trilogy, #1) Six Months to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #1) I'll Be Seeing You Telling Christina Goodbye