Start by marking “The North Star” as Want to Read:
The North Star

The North Star

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Includes a note from the author

It is often said that life is a journey, and it’s true. But sometimes it’s hard to know which path to follow when signs point in so many directions. In this beautifully illustrated book, Peter H. Reynolds once again encourages readers to observe, to wonder, and to consider diverging from the well-worn path — to pursue their dreams. Originally
Published April 14th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published December 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The North Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The North Star

Anna Stover
This is a very difficult book to review, and yet it also demands that I write one, if only to prevent this jewel of a child-sized work of philosophical poetry from sliding into the abyss of picture books I have and will have read. Because this one is special. The boy who is its protagonist has no name, nor any particular real-world setting. Instead, he has a series of places and characters he encounters and interacts with as he tries to discover where he is going and why, where he would like to ...more
Virginia
One of my favorite books of all time! While written as a children's book, this work speaks to readers of all ages about the importance of following our dreams and identifying our own path. I am an educator,and I read The North Star to every class of children, youth, or adults that I teach. Peter Reynolds has a poetic way with words, and his watercolor illustrations are beautiful. This book is not to be missed!
Cheryl
A commercial effort, an 'instant classic' that non-readers will be giving out to other non-readers for high-school graduation. Nice enough, but not necessary or even distinguished. What's wrong with all the other books on the theme, like Oh, the Places You'll Go! and even Where the Wild Things Are?

Share with me a journey that is actually worth taking, rather than a new story too long for tots and too simple for anyone older than 5.
T Crockett
This along with "Ish" and "The Dot" are all books with a message, but somehow this is the only one where it annoyed me. I think in this book the message of finding your own north star didn't come as any sort of surprise, so it felt like a parable (never did enjoy those). In the other two books there are unexpected twists and turns which make the reading fun and the message a secondary part. In "North Star" I felt like I was being taught a lesson.
Paula
Peter Reynolds writes the following in a letter to readers, "The North Star is a story for all ages. Whether you are beginning a new journey, have decided to alter the direction of your life, or are starting out for the first time, this book is here to encourage you. Take a moment to slow down to a more thoughtful pace. to ponder, reflect, imagine, and envision. Take the time to believe in your dreams, to celebrate possibility."

I typically read stories by Peter Reynolds out loud to elementary st
Carol Royce Owen
I read this and was wishing I had some nieces or nephews graduating this year, because this would be a perfect gift. The story is a reminder that despite others' attempts to pull us in various directions we need to determine what our North Star is and keep our eyes on the mark. Only then will we be happy and content.
babyhippoface
It's a picture book, but it seems to be more for adults than kids. Ordinarily I love Reynolds, but this was too schmaltzy for me. I kept thinking it wants to be the next "book to buy for graduates when you don't want to give them money".
Jackie
A cute book, but it seems to be trying too hard to be inspirational. The message (follow your own path) is a good one, and the illustrations are cute, but the story falls flat without reading it at an adult level.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Really needed to be reminded that it is important to follow your own path and not the one others want you to be on. Fun story.
Rana DiOrio
The Story: This is exactly my kind of book. It provokes meaningful discussions between parents and children, teachers and students. It causes the reader to stop and wonder. What do the mixed messages in the illustrations represent? Are there any in my life? Why do I listen to so many other voices and not my own? What will happen if I chose my own path?

The Artwork: Peter’s ink and watercolor illustrations are soft, beautiful, and evocative. Each stroke of the pen and the brush matters to the inte
Kaye Cloutman
Readers will be captivated with The North Star, not only because it is a wise and enchanting fable, but also because it is very reminiscent of the classic book, The Little Prince. This book, which was originally published ten years ago, has had a profound effect on its many readers, and this new edition celebrates the story’s own journey.

New York Times bestselling illustrator Peter H. Reynolds definitely deserves all the rave reviews because of the beautiful, basic, uncomplicated illustrations w
The Styling Librarian
The North Star by Peter H. Reynolds- Picture book – Finally… I get the chance to read this book that has popped up over and over as a book I must get for my Year 2 and other year groups for a focus on Journeys… happy day. Gorgeous book with such a beautiful message about how everyone has their own journey to go on… quite touching. Really enjoyed the interactions the boy had with others along his journey- included him showing caring and empathy…
Mary
.. This was weird. While it was cute, emphasizing self-discovery and recognizing your own path in life, the character was following the North Star. And the book claimed that the stars were different for every individual. Which is nice and all, but not when you're trying to use a fiction story to describe how the North Star can be used for navigational purposes.
Katie Krimmel
The book The North Star is a simplistic story of a young boy on his journey of discovering what life is all about. Signs lead the curious boy through woods and a swamp land where he meets various animals. The young boy travels off the path discovering that following his own path and creating his own journey is what is best for him. This story has a very simple but powerful and wise message, that the journey is what life is all about. Peter Reynolds well written and simple illustrations complemen ...more
Robin
In advance of International Dot Day, I ordered more books by Peter H. Reynolds and just finished reading this one, which I loved as much as his other titles. Definitely a book to inspire those who may question the path they are on in life!
Melissa
I came across this title while researching "books like Oh The Places You'll Go" for a patron. For a high school or college graduation, or even for an adult head off on a fresh start, this is a charming allegory about finding the right path in life.

For a child, I think it might be a little oblique: It might be harder for a young audience to grasp the different values placed on the help offered by the cat to the child versus the child to the rabbit, for instance. Also, as I've said before elsewhe
Megan Moriarty
"The North Star" is a story about a little boy who goes on a journey. Different signs steer him on to different paths, which are sometimes difficult. But, he is able to get back on the less difficult path with the help of a star. This is a wonderful book that relates to life and how we aren't always on the straight and narrow path, but we usually can find our way back with a little guidance. I think this book is appropriate for all ages. Little ones will enjoy the story line and stay on the edge ...more
Teresa Winterstein
I have shared this book with numerous students throughout the years, and each time I find new delights by hearing them react to the marvelous illustrations and text by Peter H. Reynolds. A sage a wonderful book and author!
Katie
The North Star is an adorable picture book by Peter H. Reynolds. It's about a little boy who starts a journey in life. He runs, skips, and dances along the way, and runs into a few people. He sometimes wanders off his path, and he has to be redirected to the right path. He eventually gets lost, and loses sight of where his journey is taking him. He gets some good advice from a wise old bird, and he decides to follow the North Star. He even helps others on the way to his destination. This book is ...more
Stephanie Croaning
In THE NORTH STAR, Peter H. Reynolds is encouraging us to follow our dreams and not be afraid to step off the beaten path that others might want us to travel. Unlike his earlier work, THE DOT, I see this book as primarily for adults.
Ken Priebe
A beautiful book my wife got me for my birthday. Wonderful enigmatic tale about a boy on a journey. Stays in your head and heart long after closing.
Heather
Lovely little picture book about not hurrying through life, and following your own path.
Sandy Davis
Great book for a graduate helping him/her find own journey through life. Cute book.
Jodie
A book about following your dreams in your journey through life.
Jocelin
Sometimes life takes you on a path that you didn't even know was there. Interesting concept on this book about the journeys that life can take you. I think that most people plan on having a linear life; meaning they have set a course for themselves and they plan to follow it. Life can take you different places and it is not always in a straight line; it curves, goes sideways and sometimes back to the starting line. Sweet story about how sometimes the best journey is one with a purpose but, it do ...more
Amy Gideon
Such a beautiful book!
Snorkle
I liked the concept of this book, but I'm not sure young children would get the point. Even so, I still enjoyed it and how it wanted to inspire children and encourage them to do what they really want to do. I picked it up because I'm a big fan of Peter H. Reynolds and I can't get enough of his illustrations. The story was a little ethereal, but still engaging enough that kids will enjoy. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Paul  Hankins
Lead learners visiting Joseph Campbell's THE HERO'S JOURNEY would love this book as a read-aloud ramp into the deeper discussions. And here, in this lovely little picture book, rendered in a familiar style of the author/illustrator, Peter H. Reynolds hits most of the markers of the monomyth circle, including the big one (but you'll have to read the book to find out what I'm talking about here. . .it's on the final page. . .or is it?"

Youth Services
This is a small book with charming illustrations that will make you think of "The Little Prince". A boy is born, and explores his little world until one day a rabbit running by makes the boy start off on a journey. The trip is not easy, but the message of the book is that it's his own journey, and he can make what he wants of it. A sweet book.

Lisle Library Call #: E REY
Katy Vance
I really enjoyed this. In the same style as "The Dot" (although I don't know which one comes first, this story is a nice way to introduce students to the idea of choosing your own path and not anyone else's. it also establishes that everyone's path is different. I wonder if the appearance (birth?) of the child under a tree was a gentle nod to Buddhism?
OPE Leader In Me: Book of the Month - August 3 5 Oct 11, 2012 05:03PM
  • Crafty Chloe
  • My Blue Is Happy
  • Mooshka: A Quilt Story
198837
Peter Hamilton Reynolds is an author and illustrator of children's books and is the co-Founder and CEO of educational media company FableVision.
More about Peter H. Reynolds...
The Dot Ish Sky Color I'm Here So Few of Me