Joseph's Yard

Joseph's Yard

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A young boy learns that it can be a harmful thing to care too much about the one plant in his bleak yard.
Published 1969

To ask other readers questions about Joseph's Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joseph's Yard

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Trying to read all 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up can be a frustrating experience. It doesn't sound like a hard challenge, does it? After all, these are children's books. Right?

But what about books like Joseph's Yard? It's described as a classic 32-page children's picture book. Yet it was as difficult to find as if it were the Hope Diamond.

Well, maybe not quite that difficult. After all, I did obtain a copy last week. Happily. From Paperback Swap. Thank you for sharing th...more
kristin
found this at friends of the library sale with my son when he was little. the illustrations are fantastic and it's a cool little story.
Linda
The editor should have been sacked - if you can't find the printed word on the page then the parents lose interest let alone the kids battling with an overly busy page. My dyslexic friend would have not got past the first page.

Otherwise, the tale of smothering and killing what we love with 'love' and 'jealousy' is reasonably well told. I'm sure that there are other books on the same theme that are better presented.
Ellee
The text is right over the illustrations, which in this case, makes the book difficult to read. If it were longer, it'd cause headaches. :( Some preachy stories are likeable. This one was not & some of the illustrations were creepy. I'd pick a different book to teach similar themes about love and caring for something/someone without smothering/stifling.
Stephanie
I didn't like the illustrations at all!! Even though they were trying to put across the harshness of Joseph's yard, I found them too dark and too harsh. I really didn't care for the story either.

An over all full on "Yuck!" for this one!!
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Megali
Megali added it
Jun 15, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Notbrownbighair
Notbrownbighair marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Lex Thomas
Lex Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Shalini Noronha
Shalini Noronha marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Lorena Martínez
Lorena Martínez marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Fjóla
Fjóla marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Court
Court added it
Apr 14, 2012
Classic Ghost Stories Charley, Charlotte & the Golden Canary Railway Passage Charles Keeping's Classic Tales of the Macabre Through The Window