Start by marking “Joseph's Yard ” as Want to Read:
Joseph's Yard

Joseph's Yard

A young boy learns that it can be a harmful thing to care too much about the one plant in his bleak yard.
Published 1969

To ask other readers questions about Joseph's Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joseph's Yard

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 23, 2012 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Trying to read all 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up can be a frustrating experience. It doesn't sound like a hard challenge, does it? After all, these are children's books. Right?

But what about books like Joseph's Yard? It's described as a classic 32-page children's picture book. Yet it was as difficult to find as if it were the Hope Diamond.

Well, maybe not quite that difficult. After all, I did obtain a copy last week. Happily. From Paperback Swap. Thank you for sharing th
kristin
Jul 10, 2010 kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
found this at friends of the library sale with my son when he was little. the illustrations are fantastic and it's a cool little story.
Kimberly
Mar 21, 2017 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I love the beautiful illustrations in this book. It is vary simplistic in concept but cam be taught for so many different things. It has vocabulary, imagery, morals...
Mathew
I've always found Charles Keeping's art a challenge: his bold and powerful use of line and colour does not often sit easy with me as it glows and tears its way over the pages. Yet, undoubtedly, it is a style that stays with you long after encountering it and, I have found, the more I pour over it, the greater my appreciation for it grows.
Possibly more associated with illustrating the works of others (such as Sutcliff & Garfield), Keeping's use of oil and water (lithography) is striking, som
Linda
May 12, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
The editor should have been sacked - if you can't find the printed word on the page then the parents lose interest let alone the kids battling with an overly busy page. My dyslexic friend would have not got past the first page.

Otherwise, the tale of smothering and killing what we love with 'love' and 'jealousy' is reasonably well told. I'm sure that there are other books on the same theme that are better presented.
Ellee
Mar 19, 2011 Ellee rated it did not like it
The text is right over the illustrations, which in this case, makes the book difficult to read. If it were longer, it'd cause headaches. :( Some preachy stories are likeable. This one was not & some of the illustrations were creepy. I'd pick a different book to teach similar themes about love and caring for something/someone without smothering/stifling.
Stephanie
Feb 13, 2013 Stephanie rated it did not like it
I didn't like the illustrations at all!! Even though they were trying to put across the harshness of Joseph's yard, I found them too dark and too harsh. I really didn't care for the story either.

An over all full on "Yuck!" for this one!!
Chris Clarke
Chris Clarke rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2017
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Ellinor
Ellinor rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2014
Jae
Jae rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2011
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2013
FrithaK
FrithaK rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Christina Packard
Christina Packard rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Angela Randall
Angela Randall marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2009
Dalida
Dalida marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2010
DeAnn Tollefsrud
DeAnn Tollefsrud marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2010
Court
Court added it
Apr 14, 2012
Fjóla
Fjóla marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
Lorena Martínez
Lorena Martínez marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Shalini Noronha
Shalini Noronha marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Lex Thomas
Lex Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Notbrownbighair
Notbrownbighair marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Megali
Megali added it
Jun 15, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Chenyen
Chenyen marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Maura
Maura marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Stormnangel
Stormnangel marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Laura Tink
Laura Tink marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Harriet Jane Norfolk
Harriet Jane Norfolk marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Charles William James Keeping was an English illustrator, children's book author and lithographer, born in Lambeth, South London. This childhood background of markets and docks influenced much of his work. At fourteen he became an apprentice in the printing trade before working as an engineer. Later he served in the Royal Navy. On leaving the Navy he changed careers yet again and worked for a whil ...more
More about Charles Keeping...