Barely A Bride (Free Fellows League, #1)

Barely A Bride (Free Fellows League #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The noblemen of the Free Fellows League have vowed to "avoid the inevitable leg-shackling to a female for as long as possible." But when Viscount Abernathy is called off to war, he must obey his father's wishes that he marry-and fast.

Abernathy is lucky to find Lady Alyssa as agreeable to a marriage of convenience as he is. But, two years later, scarred to his soul from t...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Barely A Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barely A Bride

Rane
Griffin Abernathy, Viscount Abernathy is going to live his dream and be a solider, fight for his country and protect it’s people. With his Free Fellows League promise binding him at the age of 10 yrs old to avoid a leg-shackling wife in order to become England’s greatest hero along with his best friends and free fellows, Griffin is up for the task at hand. That is until his father orders Griffin to get marry and get her with a child before he leaves as being the old child, he’s duty bound. No M...more
Lisa Kay
Lemon Tree
description
★★★★✩ This is a review of the audiobook, narrated by Virginia Leishman. I’ve never heard this reader before, and she does a nice job of it, doing the accents and voice inflections – English and Scottish, male and female, children and adults – quite nicely.

This book, the first in the Free Fellows League, wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be. I expected the hero, Griffin Abernathy, AKA Viscount Abernathy, to hastily do his duty and marry to please his father. Then he would happily h...more
April Brookshire
Good, but the actual idea of three grown men following a blood oath they formed as children when it dictates such important things in life like love and marriage is ridiculous. I mean, how can the ideas and minds of small children know what's best for them as adults?

While the passion was hot between the hero and heroine, the romance was lackluster. So there was good and bad parts.
Sue
Liked this first in series, writing style good, leads excellent and ensemble cast has real potential.
Cherie Jensen
I missed an entire day of reading due to illness and I was wishing the whole day I had this book on audio. I fell in love with Griffin immediately. He is a happy, non-brooding character who is one of the most honorable gentlemen I've ever read about. 2/3s of the story are about his meeting Alyssa and their wedding and three days of honeymoon. Then he leaves to join his cavalry regiment in the peninsula. Hagan Lee needed few pages to set the stage for a man who has fallen in love with his wife an...more
Kerry
I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could. Couldn’t quite give it a 4 - but it was an enjoyable story. Pretty predictable - but it was entertaining despite that. Laughed a lot – teared up a couple of times :)! And - WHOA! You'll know what I'm talking about if/when you read it... If you don’t enjoy a few good love scenes – you may want to move along to another. On the other hand… Total “chick-flick” in paper (or digital) form :)!
Cheryl
I really enjoyed this book. This is my first read of this author and it won't be my last! I loved all of the details that were left in where most of the time they are left out. The planning of the wedding and the wedding itself were so interesting. Of course the best part was the love that grows between Alyssa and Griffin. I am really excited to read the next book in the series. This was really a 4.5 stars for me.
Srishti
I've never written a review before, but for this one, there is just one thing I have to say. For the first time in my life, I cried whilst reading a historical romance. This book was worth the tears.
Simone Collins
Alas, I wanted a nice escapist plot, and the plot in this book was more of an excuse to plug raunchy scenes than it was to weave something meaningful or particularly amusing together.
Frances Fuller
I really like this book! Another one that makes me wish we had a 10 star system. Can hardly wait to start on the next in the series. Um, I don't think I will!
Pat
I credit the author for having added a little bit of a different take on a typical light love story. Interesting, it added a bit of a twist.
Debbie
This would have been a better book had it not been so graphic. It makes it really hard to skip through some of the stuff when it is an audio book.
Christine
What can I say, this one is just considered a guilty pleasure. It was a fun story, and quite steamy in some scenes.
Sylvia Ryan
I listened to this as an audiobook. It barely kept my attention and seemed predictable.
Gunda
The first three-quarters of the book were brilliant.
But the last part...
Susan
Love love love the entire Free Fellows series.
MaggieReadsRom
Did not write a review for this book
shirin
shirin marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Maryanne
Maryanne marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Scarlett
Scarlett is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Nihan
Nihan marked it as to-read
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jynt
Jynt marked it as to-read
Katheline Schmitt
Katheline Schmitt marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
  • The Indiscretion
  • All I Ever Needed (Compass Club, #3)
  • The Bartered Bride (The Bride Trilogy, #3)
  • The Marriage Contract (Marriage, #3)
  • The Ruin of a Rogue (The Wild Quartet, #2)
  • Touched by Fire
  • Mastering the Marquess (Stantons, #1)
  • Highland Scandal (The Scandalous Series #2)
  • Whitehorse
  • Till Next We Meet
  • Practically Wicked
  • To Rescue A Rogue (Company of Rogues, #13)
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • The Wedding Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #3)
  • To Wed in Texas (The McLain Series 3)
  • The Bewitching Twin (Twin, #2)
Rebecca Hagan Lee has had many different jobs, earning her beads of experience on the necklace of life with each one, but her desire to write was constant. After graduating from college, she set out to make her mark in the world of television journalism, but somewhere along the way, she decided she was a small town girl at heart and settled in a town where the media consisted of a weekly newspaper...more
More about Rebecca Hagan Lee...
Merely the Groom (Free Fellows League, #2) Hardly a Husband (Free Fellows League, #3) Golden Chances:  Romance from the Heart of America Truly a Wife (Free Fellows League, #4) Once A Mistress