Start by marking “Barely A Bride (Free Fellows League, #1)” as Want to Read:
Barely A Bride (Free Fellows League, #1)

Barely A Bride (Free Fellows League #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  261 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The noblemen of the Free Fellows League have vowed to "avoid the inevitable leg-shackling to a female for as long as possible." But when Viscount Abernathy is called off to war, he must obey his father's wishes that he marry-and fast.

Abernathy is lucky to find Lady Alyssa as agreeable to a marriage of convenience as he is. But, two years later, scarred to his soul from t
Published August 5th 2003 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Barely A Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barely A Bride

Rane
Aug 24, 2009 Rane rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rane by: K. ODoharty
Griffin Abernathy, Viscount Abernathy is going to live his dream and be a solider, fight for his country and protect it’s people. With his Free Fellows League promise binding him at the age of 10 yrs old to avoid a leg-shackling wife in order to become England’s greatest hero along with his best friends and free fellows, Griffin is up for the task at hand. That is until his father orders Griffin to get marry and get her with a child before he leaves as being the old child, he’s duty bound. No M ...more
Lisa Kay
Lemon Tree
description
This is a review of the audiobook, narrated by Virginia Leishman. I’ve never heard this reader before, and she does a nice job of it, doing the accents and voice inflections – English and Scottish, male and female, children and adults – quite nicely.

This book, the first in the Free Fellows League, wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be. I expected the hero, Griffin Abernathy, AKA Viscount Abernathy, to hastily do his duty and marry to please his father. Then he would happily hurry
Cherie
Feb 18, 2013 Cherie rated it it was amazing
I missed an entire day of reading due to illness and I was wishing the whole day I had this book on audio. I fell in love with Griffin immediately. He is a happy, non-brooding character who is one of the most honorable gentlemen I've ever read about. 2/3s of the story are about his meeting Alyssa and their wedding and three days of honeymoon. Then he leaves to join his cavalry regiment in the peninsula. Hagan Lee needed few pages to set the stage for a man who has fallen in love with his wife an ...more
April Brookshire
Nov 19, 2014 April Brookshire rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Good, but the actual idea of three grown men following a blood oath they formed as children when it dictates such important things in life like love and marriage is ridiculous. I mean, how can the ideas and minds of small children know what's best for them as adults?

While the passion was hot between the hero and heroine, the romance was lackluster. So there was good and bad parts.
Sue
Jul 09, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Liked this first in series, writing style good, leads excellent and ensemble cast has real potential.
Ewa
DNF at 50%.

Nobody talks this way. Even 200 years ago.
Mainer207
Nov 05, 2015 Mainer207 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review pertains to the Audible edition only. I'm disappointed because the story had promise but the horrible narration ruined this for me. I don't know what the narrator was sucking on during the recording but it was noticeable between sentences and was, frankly, disturbing. I couldn't listen to another minute so I didn't finish it. I'll read it at some point. How sad for the author.
Sandra R
Mar 23, 2016 Sandra R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one ! Looking forward to reading the rest of this series.
Kerry
I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could. Couldn’t quite give it a 4 - but it was an enjoyable story. Pretty predictable - but it was entertaining despite that. Laughed a lot – teared up a couple of times :)! And - WHOA! You'll know what I'm talking about if/when you read it... If you don’t enjoy a few good love scenes – you may want to move along to another. On the other hand… Total “chick-flick” in paper (or digital) form :)!
Cheryl
Aug 05, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This is my first read of this author and it won't be my last! I loved all of the details that were left in where most of the time they are left out. The planning of the wedding and the wedding itself were so interesting. Of course the best part was the love that grows between Alyssa and Griffin. I am really excited to read the next book in the series. This was really a 4.5 stars for me.
Srishti
Nov 04, 2015 Srishti rated it it was amazing
I've never written a review before, but for this one, there is just one thing I have to say. For the first time in my life, I cried whilst reading a historical romance. This book was worth the tears.
Simone Collins
Feb 16, 2010 Simone Collins rated it it was ok
Alas, I wanted a nice escapist plot, and the plot in this book was more of an excuse to plug raunchy scenes than it was to weave something meaningful or particularly amusing together.
Frances
Oct 17, 2010 Frances rated it liked it
I really like this book! Another one that makes me wish we had a 10 star system. Can hardly wait to start on the next in the series. Um, I don't think I will!
Pat
Jun 07, 2011 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I credit the author for having added a little bit of a different take on a typical light love story. Interesting, it added a bit of a twist.
Debbie
Jun 28, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it
This would have been a better book had it not been so graphic. It makes it really hard to skip through some of the stuff when it is an audio book.
Christine
Apr 16, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
What can I say, this one is just considered a guilty pleasure. It was a fun story, and quite steamy in some scenes.
Lorka
Sep 16, 2014 Lorka rated it liked it
It was a good story, nothing exciting though... I actually got bored half-way thru.
Sylvia Ryan
Apr 28, 2010 Sylvia Ryan rated it it was ok
I listened to this as an audiobook. It barely kept my attention and seemed predictable.
Gunda
Mar 06, 2013 Gunda rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
The first three-quarters of the book were brilliant.
But the last part...
T
Apr 20, 2010 T rated it really liked it
Love love love the entire Free Fellows series.
MaggieReadsRom
Did not write a review for this book
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Regency
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Nuna.Hsn
Nuna.Hsn marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Debra A. Bavery
Debra A. Bavery marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Amanda Villhauer
Amanda Villhauer marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
  • Married in Haste (Marriage, #1)
  • The Indiscretion
  • Beyond a Wicked Kiss (Compass Club, #4)
  • The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1)
  • Land of Falling Stars
  • Till Next We Meet
  • The Bartered Bride (The Bride Trilogy, #3)
  • To Rescue A Rogue (Company of Rogues, #13)
  • Whitehorse
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
  • The Captain and the Wallflower
  • The Ruin of a Rogue (The Wild Quartet, #2)
  • The Wedding Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #3)
  • Amorous Liaisons (Harlequin Blaze, #425) (Lust in Translation, #6)
  • Touched by Fire
  • No Ordinary Groom (Spies and Lovers, #1)
Rebecca Hagan Lee has had many different jobs, earning her beads of experience on the necklace of life with each one, but her desire to write was constant. After graduating from college, she set out to make her mark in the world of television journalism, but somewhere along the way, she decided she was a small town girl at heart and settled in a town where the media consisted of a weekly newspaper ...more
More about Rebecca Hagan Lee...

Free Fellows League (6 books)
  • Merely the Groom (Free Fellows League, #2)
  • Hardly a Husband (Free Fellows League, #3)
  • Truly a Wife (Free Fellows League, #4)
  • Talk of the Ton
  • A Bachelor Still (Free Fellows League, #5)