Start by marking “Astonishing X-Men: Nightcrawler, Volume 1: The Devil Inside” as Want to Read:
Astonishing X-Men: Nightcrawler, Volume 1: The Devil Inside

Astonishing X-Men: Nightcrawler, Volume 1: The Devil Inside (Nightcrawler, Volume III #1)

The X-Man known as Nightcrawler is a man with a foot in two worlds - one the daylight world of super heroes and super-villains; the other a netherworld of demons and angels, ghosts and monsters... human and otherwise. With the looks of a devil and the soul of a kind, ordinary man, Nightcrawler is used to being pulled in both directions. Now, he might be asked to go where t ...more
Paperback, Trade, 144 pages
Published June 22nd 2005 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Astonishing X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astonishing X-Men

Brad
Dec 28, 2008 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel, x-men
Nightcrawler was one of my favorite characters in the old X-Men arcade game. He was bright blue, quick, and could teleport. His comic character has embellished only a bit on these traits: he's German, he's religious, Mystique's his mom, he likes sword fights. Not the most amount of depth for a character made in the late 70's. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa does a decent job establishing the status quo for what could've been an ongoing series: Storm assigns Nightcrawler some spooky cases to solve, which ...more
Artur Coelho
Mar 12, 2017 Artur Coelho rated it liked it
Confesso que sempre tive um fraquinho por esta personagem dos X-Men. Menos poderoso do que os restantes, com um aspecto deveras bizarro, ar de diabo mas com o azul a desfazer a demonologia, especialista em agilidade e teleportação a curta distância. Os seus poderes não são devastadores, mas a sua argúcia é imbatível, algo que tempera com um forte sentido de espectáculo e um bom-humor imparável.

Nesta sua série individual, Aguirre-Sacasa puxa a um lado sobrenatural que nos comics da série X-Men n
Andre
Nov 22, 2016 Andre rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-comics
Is Marvel actually capable of writing a good Nightcrawler series? So far I doubt it as there were only single issues that managed to be decent and this series here is no exception.

This series is pretty damn formulaic and have a strong element of "because the plot says so."
Of course you also have fan service: Sexy nurse with huge breasts (that get even bigger) and a mini-skirt.

And that Dr. Childs has black, combed hair with some receding hair line, sharp eyebrows, thin mustache and a goatee... W
Leila Anani
Collects together Nightcrawler #1-6, "The Devil Inside" and "Ghosts on the Tracks"

This is the best Nightcrawler vehicle I've seen to date. It's really great to see him separate from the X-Men, superhero saving the world kind of milieu. Not that he's not awesome there, but this gives him a chance to shine and not not be overshadowed by larger than life characters such as Wolverine.

In the devil inside Storm sends Kurt out to investigate the suspicious death of 13 orphans. It turns out to be a sat
K T
Nov 03, 2009 K T rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The plot was so-so. It contained a lot of supernatural elements, and the problem with magic is that it's no fun if it doesn't have to operate within rules and limitations. Perhaps if I was more familiar with the Marvel universe I'd be aware of the fantasy context.

The artwork was also so-so. Generally fairly appealing, but facial features were inconsistent and the women all look the same. It starts out very grim and serious and the mood was completely broken for me when Nightcrawler goes to a hos
Charlotte
Aug 07, 2013 Charlotte rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, uit-eigen-wil
Ugh, Greg Land covers.

Now I've gotten that pet peeve out of the way: the art inside is much better. Plays up Nighty's bishie appeal, but we won't complain about that. The writer is obviously a Nightcrawler fan and tries hard to convince the reader of Kurt's appeal - play up his compassionate side with some swashbuckling on the side, some womanizing, and of course the angst. The series has some great moments, but overall has to struggle to be more than "X-files: Nightcrawler edition".

Seriously,
Sean
Aug 29, 2013 Sean rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: X-Men completists
Nightcrawler has always been a favorite character of mine and many others. Sadly, his solo adventures have never been very memorable. Here, Storm, inexplicably sends Kurt by himself to investigate multiple homicides. Kurt, is characterized well, but other X-Men, not so much. The inclusion of Amanda Sefton and the occult are a little too expected. Not much of anything of interest happens and the plot is basic. The art is decent but at times, the female characters look too similar. Overall, not mu ...more
J.
Jan 02, 2011 J. rated it liked it
Who spilled this BPRD plot all over my X-Men?

I've never been a huge fan of mixing the X-men stuff with the magic stuff, so this book definitely isn't targeted at me. The stories are ok, if not particularly original. But Nightcrawler's charm is severely lacking and all the other X-Men are waaaay out of character. Plus, the very premise--that Nightcrawler is the right guy for this investigation--seems patently ridiculous, a significant nonsense to build everything on.
Michael
May 04, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Absolutely loved it. Nightcrawler's been one of my favorite comic characters since I was a kid, but I'd never thought about fitting him into a horror/mystery series like this one. It's a great idea, and Aguirre-Sacasa writes it very well. Darick Robertson's art is beautiful, and serves the story well.
Patrick
Mar 08, 2010 Patrick rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of demons and ghosts
I love the character Nightcrawler, but the writer seemed to focus on vague, uninteresting demon and ghost stories. Darick Robertson's artwork here also just doesn't seem to fit. I've seen him do better.
The Doctor
Jan 16, 2011 The Doctor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superheroes
i loved this comic book. I have always been a huge fan of Nightcrawler. I have always found his origin interesting. In general I love the x men.
Matthew Smith
Oct 19, 2007 Matthew Smith rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers; X-Men fans
Two mysteries in this trade; good, fun read, though nothing groundbreaking. Worth checking out from the library.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Luis
Dec 07, 2013 Luis rated it did not like it
Cliche ugh
Eragon
Eragon rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Nicole Rolph
Nicole Rolph rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Katy
Katy rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Kier Home
Kier Home rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
David Hilleland
David Hilleland rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Jason Gregori
Jason Gregori rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Marybeth Schroeder
Marybeth Schroeder rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Donald Armfield
Donald Armfield rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2011
Willie
Willie rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2012
Andrew Simpson
Andrew Simpson rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Alex Holt
Alex Holt rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2017
Steve Si
Steve Si rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
delta mclaren
delta mclaren rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Lindsay Frost
Lindsay Frost rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mystique, Volume 2: Tinker, Tailor, Mutant, Spy
  • Astonishing X-Men: Kitty Pryde - Shadow & Flame
  • X-Posed (New X-Men: Academy X #3)
  • Cable, Volume 3: Stranded
  • House of M: Fantastic Four/Iron Man
  • House of M: Incredible Hulk
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • Daken/X-23: Collision

Nightcrawler, Volume III (2 books)
  • Astonishing X-Men: Nightcrawler, Volume 2: The Winding Way