Finding God in the Shack w/ Study Guide: Seeking Truth in a Story of Evil and Redemption

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Shack has touched millions of readers with its portrayal of a compassionate God in the face of great evil. Many have identified with the main character's Great Sadness, the terrible burden of grief that often accompanies and follows a deep loss, for the Great Sadness is part of the human condition. And it compels us to ask, Where is God? Who is God?

Roger Olson, who has...more
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Finding God in the Shack w/ Study Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding God in the Shack w/ Study Guide

Bart Breen
Theological and Cerebral and Fair for the Most Part

Roger E. Olson is a strong voice and well qualified to address the theological issues of The Shack. I read his book using the Kindle and it's possible that my next comments are not as true for the paperback edition of the book, but up front I think it would have helped the book for Dr. Olson's theological position and background to have been better highlighted to put his comments and observations in better perspective. In order to address that,...more
Jeanette
A great study about 'The Shack'. While reading it, I decided to start keeping a journal. I found so many of his ideas and the biblical passages he quoted to be very helpful and spot on with what I took the novel as. I did not think it was boring, I did not find it hard to understand. If anything, I felt the urge to pray on a lot of what he was speaking about and trying to truly grasp the ideas. But not challenging or hard.
I think if you are going to pick up a book such as this one, you have to...more
Janice
While leading a book discussion of The Shack over the last few weeks I read this book, as well as the other book by the same title. Mr. Olson explains that he is writing this answer to the many criticisms of The Shack, both as a theologian and as someone who has suffered his own "great sadness", due to an abusive father. Mr. Olson quibbles with some of The Shack, but mostly feels that it is biblical and theologically sound. Mr. Olson does a good job of analyzing how The Shack challenges a deeper...more
Nicole
I skimmed through a lot of this book because I already knew and understood most of what was said. This book is takes the ideas written in The Shack and debates what could be theologically true. Such as does God forgive everyone for all of their sins? Will bad people like Hitler or child abusers be in Heaven? Why does God sit back and allow horrible evils to take place? Most of these questions have been answered for me through my church and I have very strong feelings about them. It was interesti...more
ReadHowYouWant
Theologian Roger E. Olson explores the issues raised by the novel, The Shack. How does God act in the world? How is God three people in one, and what difference does this make to us? And more. Book Bargains and Previews states that Finding God in the Shack “takes the reader on a play by play of William Young’s The Shack as he explores the book’s many complex and controversial issues. The discussion is illuminating as well as intriguing.”
Roosevelt Wright
The presentation of God, redemption, heaven and hell in the "The Shack" was a challenging read. It attempts to answer why God allows tragedy and trouble, but does not answer it sufficiently. At times, most of the times, it was a religious treatise on the articles of the Christian faith disquised as a story. If I had not been asked to read it by a friend, I wouldn't have.
Mike
"Evil as the privation of good does not sit well with some people... How can God or anyone say [evil:] is only the absence of the good? But we shouldn't use the word 'only.' ...An absence can be, and often is, oppressive, filled with terror and even terminal." Finding God in The Shack, pp. 82
Hilda
This book had some interesting and relevant points about scripture and the book "The Shack". I do feel that some parts of this book were very boring and required a degree in Theology to decipher. Not for the average reader.
Pat
An interesting book that puts alot of the "God" conversations into perspective. This book gave me more to think about especially since I read it along with rereading "The Shack."
Jim Johnson
Utter nonsense! The author has no inkling that there even is a god let alone what this "god" requires of us. This was a bigger time-waster than The Shack was.
Pam
I liked this book because while he didn't try and turn me against THE SHACK, he did present some different ideas/thoughts about the book.
Trevor Lloyd
Good but not brilliant. Didn't enjoy this as much as some of his other writing. But a useful insight into the theology of The Shack.
Shannon
Helped to understand some of the theology behind The Shack. I'm glad I read both The Shack and Finding God in the Shack.
Cappy
I read this book hoping it would help me explore Young's _The Shack_ with my students. It didn't.
Ed Laundy
Great book. I thought the first book I read with this title was good, but is even better.
Wil Roese
Some interesting points but based on the false teaching of faith alone.
Sam Winslett
Sam Winslett marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Amanda Stanley
Amanda Stanley marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Chandrika Mcintosh
Chandrika Mcintosh marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Roger E. Olson (PhD, Rice University) is professor of theology at George W. Truett Theological Seminary, Baylor University. He is a prolific author whose volumes include The Story of Christian Theology and The Mosaic of Christian Belief. He is also coauthor of 20th-Century Theology.
More about Roger E. Olson...
The Story of Christian Theology: Twenty Centuries of Tradition and Reform Against Calvinism Arminian Theology: Myths and Realities The Mosaic of Christian Belief: Twenty Centuries of Unity & Diversity How to Be Evangelical without Being Conservative