Start by marking “Finding God in the Shack: Seeking Truth in a Story of Evil and Redemption [with Study Guide]” as Want to Read:

The Shack has touched millions of readers with its portrayal of a compassionate God in the face of great evil. Many have identified with the main character's Great Sadness, the terrible burden of grief that often accompanies and follows a deep loss, for the Great Sadness is part of the human condition. And it compels us to ask, Where is God? Who is God?

Roger Olson, who has
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Finding God in the Shack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding God in the Shack

Angela
Sep 29, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you liked reading The Shack, but found some things controversial or questioned what the author may have meant by some things, & also are wondering if it's biblical or not, this book & author does a pretty good job telling you what's what.
Bart Breen
May 19, 2012 Bart Breen rated it liked it
Theological and Cerebral and Fair for the Most Part

Roger E. Olson is a strong voice and well qualified to address the theological issues of The Shack. I read his book using the Kindle and it's possible that my next comments are not as true for the paperback edition of the book, but up front I think it would have helped the book for Dr. Olson's theological position and background to have been better highlighted to put his comments and observations in better perspective. In order to address that,
Jeanette
A great study about 'The Shack'. While reading it, I decided to start keeping a journal. I found so many of his ideas and the biblical passages he quoted to be very helpful and spot on with what I took the novel as. I did not think it was boring, I did not find it hard to understand. If anything, I felt the urge to pray on a lot of what he was speaking about and trying to truly grasp the ideas. But not challenging or hard.
I think if you are going to pick up a book such as this one, you have to
Nicole
Dec 15, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it
I skimmed through a lot of this book because I already knew and understood most of what was said. This book is takes the ideas written in The Shack and debates what could be theologically true. Such as does God forgive everyone for all of their sins? Will bad people like Hitler or child abusers be in Heaven? Why does God sit back and allow horrible evils to take place? Most of these questions have been answered for me through my church and I have very strong feelings about them. It was interesti ...more
Janice
Apr 19, 2009 Janice rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-read
While leading a book discussion of The Shack over the last few weeks I read this book, as well as the other book by the same title. Mr. Olson explains that he is writing this answer to the many criticisms of The Shack, both as a theologian and as someone who has suffered his own "great sadness", due to an abusive father. Mr. Olson quibbles with some of The Shack, but mostly feels that it is biblical and theologically sound. Mr. Olson does a good job of analyzing how The Shack challenges a deeper ...more
ReadHowYouWant
Nov 18, 2009 ReadHowYouWant rated it it was amazing
Theologian Roger E. Olson explores the issues raised by the novel, The Shack. How does God act in the world? How is God three people in one, and what difference does this make to us? And more. Book Bargains and Previews states that Finding God in the Shack “takes the reader on a play by play of William Young’s The Shack as he explores the book’s many complex and controversial issues. The discussion is illuminating as well as intriguing.”
Roosevelt Wright
Aug 05, 2011 Roosevelt Wright rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The presentation of God, redemption, heaven and hell in the "The Shack" was a challenging read. It attempts to answer why God allows tragedy and trouble, but does not answer it sufficiently. At times, most of the times, it was a religious treatise on the articles of the Christian faith disquised as a story. If I had not been asked to read it by a friend, I wouldn't have.
Hilda
Nov 17, 2009 Hilda rated it did not like it
This book had some interesting and relevant points about scripture and the book "The Shack". I do feel that some parts of this book were very boring and required a degree in Theology to decipher. Not for the average reader.
Mike
May 14, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
"Evil as the privation of good does not sit well with some people... How can God or anyone say [evil:] is only the absence of the good? But we shouldn't use the word 'only.' ...An absence can be, and often is, oppressive, filled with terror and even terminal." Finding God in The Shack, pp. 82
Wil Roese
Some interesting points but based on the false teaching of faith alone.
Ed Laundy
Jun 04, 2009 Ed Laundy rated it it was amazing
Great book. I thought the first book I read with this title was good, but is even better.
Shannon
Aug 05, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Helped to understand some of the theology behind The Shack. I'm glad I read both The Shack and Finding God in the Shack.
Trevor Lloyd
Good but not brilliant. Didn't enjoy this as much as some of his other writing. But a useful insight into the theology of The Shack.
Cappy
Sep 08, 2010 Cappy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I read this book hoping it would help me explore Young's _The Shack_ with my students. It didn't.
Jim Johnson
Aug 30, 2013 Jim Johnson rated it did not like it
Utter nonsense! The author has no inkling that there even is a god let alone what this "god" requires of us. This was a bigger time-waster than The Shack was.
Pam
Dec 18, 2010 Pam rated it liked it
I liked this book because while he didn't try and turn me against THE SHACK, he did present some different ideas/thoughts about the book.
Jennifer Radtke
Feb 27, 2015 Jennifer Radtke rated it really liked it
This is a great companion book to The Shack. It really helps ground you to the Bible and gives good reminders of what is someone's interpretation and what is a novel.
Pat
May 25, 2009 Pat rated it really liked it
An interesting book that puts alot of the "God" conversations into perspective. This book gave me more to think about especially since I read it along with rereading "The Shack."
Shawn
Shawn rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2017
Meliss
Meliss rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Carre Saunders
Carre Saunders rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2010
Caroline Wong
Caroline Wong rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Kevin Casto
Kevin Casto rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Megan R
Megan R rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2011
Stephen Daniels
Stephen Daniels rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Cindy Flynn
Cindy Flynn rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
Debowsky
Debowsky rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
  • Every Body Matters: Strengthening Your Body to Strengthen Your Soul
  • The Shack Revisited: There Is More Going On Here than You Ever Dared to Dream
  • The Land Between: Finding God in Difficult Transitions
  • I Hate It When Exercise Is the Answer: A Fitness Program for the Soul
  • Starting Your Best Life Now: A Guide for New Adventures and Stages on Your Journey
  • Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life
  • The Scent of Water: Grace for Every Kind of Broken
Roger E. Olson (PhD, Rice University) is professor of theology at George W. Truett Theological Seminary, Baylor University. He is a prolific author whose volumes include The Story of Christian Theology and The Mosaic of Christian Belief. He is also coauthor of 20th-Century Theology.
More about Roger E. Olson...