Start by marking “The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve: Close Up and Personal” as Want to Read:
The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve: Close Up and Personal

The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve: Close Up and Personal

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The startling portrayal of an icy, sexually adventurous housewife in Louis Bunuel's Belle du Jour established Catherine Deneuve as one of the most remarkable and compelling actresses of her generation. Forty years later, Deneuve is still widely regarded as one of the grande dames of French cinema. Despite her international appeal, however, Denueve has always chosen to avoi ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Pegasus (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve

Mike Lester
France. The French. Where to begin? Americans like me have a love/hate relationship with France (and vice versa), and I must admit my sympathies lie more with the love dimension--shades of Barry White-- (we'll not discuss my problems with the gendarmes at Orly airport, thank you very much). Brigitte Bardot, Juliette Binoche, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Irene Jacob, and of course, Catherine Deneuve, what couldn't a red-blooded male love about exported French culture? These diaries are somewhat sporadic ...more
Ulla
I've admired Catherine Deneuve ever since I saw "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" and "Repulsion" in the 1960's. But I loved her sister Francoise Dorleac who, unfortunately, left as at such an early age.
I borrowed this book hoping to learn more about Francoise, to be honest, but I did learn quite a lot about this Ice Queen, and have to say she still remains a mystery.

I really have to admire her!! Is there another actress who's made films (and good ones) from the age of 13 until the age of 71, and st
Josefine
Well, I guess I have to confess that I started reading this book a while ago, but then stopped for some reason. I guess it was because I hadn't seen most of the movies Catherine Deneuve wrote her diaries about.

Now that I have, I absolutely loved it. It gives the reader so much insight to the real person Catherine was and still is. Her insecurities and worries, her personal thoughts... after reading this book, nobody can say she's like the cold and distant image the media created of her.

The passa
Arianna  Bonardi
premesso che ti deve piacere davvero tanto il cinema o la figura della deneuve nello specifico per apprezzare questa raccolta, non mi ha fatto chissà quanto impazzire. interessante la vita sul set e le descrizioni di alcune situazioni, specialmente sul set di dancer in the dark. vi consiglio di vedervi i film di cui parla la deneuve per godervi al meglio i suoi diari :)
Elizabeth
It's been over 15 years since I first fell in love with Catherine Deneuve in Indochine, and reading these diaries has done nothing to tarnish my feelings. This is a rather random assortment of diaries written by Deneuve on foreign film sets, and the details tend to center on the film making process rather than personal affairs. The entries aren't "private" in the sense that they reveal sordid details or secret animosities; they're "private" in that they were written for herself, and hence contai ...more
Emily
Catherine Deneuve's diaries offer an insider look at what it's like to be a working actress. Even when she's frustrated or upset, she refrains from commenting on her costars or on the directors. It stays away from gossip and focuses on the process of making the films.

Each diary deals with one film at a time, and most of the diaries are from sets that she worked on abroad. The "Indochine" one is particularly long and interesting, but others are short and immediately forgettable. I was especially
Rachel C.
Catherine Deneuve was a pretty intermittent diary-keeper, so this book does not even approach a complete story of her career. For example, there's a good 20-year gap from about 1970 to 1990. Still, it's an interesting look into the working life of an actress. The entries contain a lot of the logistics of filmmaking but the writing itself is surprisingly poetic.

It helps if you've seen the films described, particularly Indochine, the subject of the longest diary section. Sadly, no diaries from Rep
Raquel
My husband found this for $1 at the Strand, in New York, and it was the best dollar we've ever spent! This book is a delight, way more wonderful and insightful than it has any right to be. Deneuve's movie journals, which she keeps on location when shooting films outside of France, are filled with curiosity and wonder about her surroundings, perceptive observations about the art and politics of filmmaking, and self-reflection. She's remarkably candid about her own fears and insecurities and short ...more
Amanda
As a disclaimer, I adore Catherine Deneuve and was therefore predisposed to liking this book. This is not a gossipy tell-all. It's an insider's look at what it's like to be a working actress, albeit a very famous one. By far the most interesting section is that which recounts the filming of "Indochine." There are some personal anecdotes in her earlier diaries (especially about her sister, who died tragically at 25), but Deneuve by and large refrains from gossiping about her directors and costars ...more
Teague
Rather than a memoir, Deneuve publishes the diaries she kept on several monumental films, including the incredible "Dancer in the Dark" directed by Lars von Trier and costarring Bjork. I liked this memoir a lot. There are also great photos of this rare talent and beauty.
Stacey D.
Interesting diary entries recalling some of Deneuve's on-set film history, which thankfully did not read as a gossip sheet. "Indochine" was the best, offering a vivid and beautiful description of early '90's Southeast Asia.
Destiny
I love this woman! She makes me want to be French! I loved this, but obviously you'd have to enjoy Catherine Deneuve to like this book. If you don't like her, something is simply wrong with you lol.:)
Nessabella
actually not that fascinating. i adore her, i wanted it to be racey and wild. but it seems she is as composed and proper in her personal life as in many of her onscreen roles. whatever, i love you catherine!
Jessica
Claiborne and I fought tooth and nail to acquire this for Pegasus...it's 100% worth it to read about the great Catherine in her own words!
Sara
Really focused on the technical decisions of the filmmakers she worked with - camera work, lighting, scheduling, etc.
Elizabeth
Apr 15, 2007 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
I love her.
Bella King
Bella King marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Tessamp
Tessamp marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Mariana Manher
Mariana Manher marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Samantha Glasser
Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
  • The Name Above The Title
  • Paris Was Yesterday, 1925-1939
  • This Is Orson Welles
  • Self-Portrait
  • The Parade's Gone By...
  • Ecstasy and Me: My Life as a Woman
  • Women of the Left Bank
  • Debbie: My Life
  • Cagney by Cagney
  • Beauty and the Beast: Diary of a Film
  • Tallulah: My Autobiography
  • Shelley: Also Known as Shirley
born Catherine Fabienne Dorléac, she is a world famous French actress.
More about Catherine Deneuve...
Close Up and Personal À l'ombre de moi-même Elle s'appelait Françoise Roger Vivier Yves Saint Laurent