Start by marking “The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve: Close Up and Personal” as Want to Read:
The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve: Close Up and Personal

The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve: Close Up and Personal

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The startling portrayal of an icy, sexually adventurous housewife in Louis Bunuel's Belle du Jour established Catherine Deneuve as one of the most remarkable and compelling actresses of her generation. Forty years later, Deneuve is still widely regarded as one of the grande dames of French cinema. Despite her international appeal, however, Denueve has always chosen to avoi ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Pegasus (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve

Mike Lester
Feb 18, 2012 Mike Lester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
France. The French. Where to begin? Americans like me have a love/hate relationship with France (and vice versa), and I must admit my sympathies lie more with the love dimension--shades of Barry White-- (we'll not discuss my problems with the gendarmes at Orly airport, thank you very much). Brigitte Bardot, Juliette Binoche, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Irene Jacob, and of course, Catherine Deneuve, what couldn't a red-blooded male love about exported French culture? These diaries are somewhat sporadic ...more
Josefine
Jun 11, 2016 Josefine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I guess I have to confess that I started reading this book a while ago, but then stopped for some reason. I guess it was because I hadn't seen most of the movies Catherine Deneuve wrote her diaries about.

Now that I have, I absolutely loved it. It gives the reader so much insight to the real person Catherine was and still is. Her insecurities and worries, her personal thoughts... after reading this book, nobody can say she's like the cold and distant image the media created of her.

The passa
Ulla
Nov 06, 2014 Ulla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've admired Catherine Deneuve ever since I saw "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" and "Repulsion" in the 1960's. But I loved her sister Francoise Dorleac who, unfortunately, left as at such an early age.
I borrowed this book hoping to learn more about Francoise, to be honest, but I did learn quite a lot about this Ice Queen, and have to say she still remains a mystery.

I really have to admire her!! Is there another actress who's made films (and good ones) from the age of 13 until the age of 71, and st
Arianna  Bonardi
Jul 28, 2014 Arianna Bonardi rated it it was ok
premesso che ti deve piacere davvero tanto il cinema o la figura della deneuve nello specifico per apprezzare questa raccolta, non mi ha fatto chissà quanto impazzire. interessante la vita sul set e le descrizioni di alcune situazioni, specialmente sul set di dancer in the dark. vi consiglio di vedervi i film di cui parla la deneuve per godervi al meglio i suoi diari :)
Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
It's been over 15 years since I first fell in love with Catherine Deneuve in Indochine, and reading these diaries has done nothing to tarnish my feelings. This is a rather random assortment of diaries written by Deneuve on foreign film sets, and the details tend to center on the film making process rather than personal affairs. The entries aren't "private" in the sense that they reveal sordid details or secret animosities; they're "private" in that they were written for herself, and hence contai ...more
Emily
May 04, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
Catherine Deneuve's diaries offer an insider look at what it's like to be a working actress. Even when she's frustrated or upset, she refrains from commenting on her costars or on the directors. It stays away from gossip and focuses on the process of making the films.

Each diary deals with one film at a time, and most of the diaries are from sets that she worked on abroad. The "Indochine" one is particularly long and interesting, but others are short and immediately forgettable. I was especially
Rachel C.
Catherine Deneuve was a pretty intermittent diary-keeper, so this book does not even approach a complete story of her career. For example, there's a good 20-year gap from about 1970 to 1990. Still, it's an interesting look into the working life of an actress. The entries contain a lot of the logistics of filmmaking but the writing itself is surprisingly poetic.

It helps if you've seen the films described, particularly Indochine, the subject of the longest diary section. Sadly, no diaries from Rep
Raquel
Jun 09, 2012 Raquel rated it really liked it
My husband found this for $1 at the Strand, in New York, and it was the best dollar we've ever spent! This book is a delight, way more wonderful and insightful than it has any right to be. Deneuve's movie journals, which she keeps on location when shooting films outside of France, are filled with curiosity and wonder about her surroundings, perceptive observations about the art and politics of filmmaking, and self-reflection. She's remarkably candid about her own fears and insecurities and short ...more
Amanda
Dec 29, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
As a disclaimer, I adore Catherine Deneuve and was therefore predisposed to liking this book. This is not a gossipy tell-all. It's an insider's look at what it's like to be a working actress, albeit a very famous one. By far the most interesting section is that which recounts the filming of "Indochine." There are some personal anecdotes in her earlier diaries (especially about her sister, who died tragically at 25), but Deneuve by and large refrains from gossiping about her directors and costars ...more
Teague
Jul 19, 2012 Teague rated it liked it
Rather than a memoir, Deneuve publishes the diaries she kept on several monumental films, including the incredible "Dancer in the Dark" directed by Lars von Trier and costarring Bjork. I liked this memoir a lot. There are also great photos of this rare talent and beauty.
Stacey D.
Oct 12, 2012 Stacey D. rated it liked it
Interesting diary entries recalling some of Deneuve's on-set film history, which thankfully did not read as a gossip sheet. "Indochine" was the best, offering a vivid and beautiful description of early '90's Southeast Asia.
Destiny
Jul 25, 2008 Destiny rated it it was amazing
I love this woman! She makes me want to be French! I loved this, but obviously you'd have to enjoy Catherine Deneuve to like this book. If you don't like her, something is simply wrong with you lol.:)
Nessabella
actually not that fascinating. i adore her, i wanted it to be racey and wild. but it seems she is as composed and proper in her personal life as in many of her onscreen roles. whatever, i love you catherine!
Jessica
Apr 14, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
Claiborne and I fought tooth and nail to acquire this for Pegasus...it's 100% worth it to read about the great Catherine in her own words!
Sara
Feb 08, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Really focused on the technical decisions of the filmmakers she worked with - camera work, lighting, scheduling, etc.
Elizabeth
Apr 15, 2007 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
I love her.
Meggie
Meggie added it
Jul 30, 2016
Ivy
Ivy marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Fallen
Fallen marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Madeleine
Madeleine marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Blerina
Blerina marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Rambling Reader
Rambling Reader marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Gus
Gus marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Avolita
Avolita marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Kerstin
Kerstin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Cefakat
Cefakat marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
  • Dangerous Muse: The Life Of Lady Caroline Blackwood
  • No Bed Of Roses
  • Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming
  • From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies
  • Wisecracker: The Life and Times of William Haines, Hollywood's First Openly Gay Star
  • Debbie: My Life
born Catherine Fabienne Dorléac, she is a world famous French actress.
More about Catherine Deneuve...