Stories Volume 1

Stories Volume 1

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  9 reviews
One hundred classic stories from the celebrated author of Fahrenheit 451.
softcover, 956 pages
Published (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Stories Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories Volume 1

Nicky
Stories Volume 1 is the first in a two part series comprising over one hundred and fifty short stories by Ray Bradbury. This massive thousand page first volume contains one hundred short stories by the celebrated author, each so unique, imaginative, and engrossing I found it hard to put down. In fact, out of one hundred stories I think there was only about half a dozen that I didn't care for... an amazing track record given this all-encompassing sample of his work. A few of the short stories I h...more
Ingo
I don't envy the editors of this collection. There are easier tasks than deciding what to choose from the 500+ stories Brad Bradbury has written in his 90+ years. These two volumes combine about 150 of them (stories, not years), so this is the biggest collection to date.

There are some classics in here that have been anthologized quite a few times: "There Will Come Soft Rains", "A Sound of Thunder", "Mars Is Heaven" among others.

From the lesser known stories I particularly enjoyed some of the cre...more
Henrik
June 6, 2012:

Reading some of Bradbury's short stories on this day, the day he passed away, leaving the world at the age of 91.

"A medicine for Melancholy": Read this one first. A very fine, downplayed story set in the 1700s -- and quite a bold story. What a cure for melancholy!

Up next now: "Fever Dream"...

"Fever Dreams": Reading this was strange, strange indeed. Because it resembled an unpublished story of mine quite some. And I know I've never read this Bradbury tale before. Of course, "Fever Dr...more
Stephen Waddington
It's 100 stories so some will be better than others. I would describe them as imaginative, thrilling, moving, thought provoking, prescient, nostalgic and extremely well written; I love the way he uses language.
I will never 'finish' this collection or Volume 2; I have been reading and re-reading these stories for forty years and see no reason to stop now.
Salimbol
A rather amazing collection of stories from Bradbury, showcasing his imagination, his ability to shift tone and topics, and his fantastic use of language. (As a side note: I think I deserve a medal for accomplishing the Herculean task of getting through this nearly-1000 page tome ;-).
TheYetiWakes
Great collection of stories. This and Volume 2 highly recommended for such a breadth and fun collection to keep near by and dip into whenever.
Jak
Like any collection of short stories there will be good and bad. Fortunatly there was more good than bad in these two volumes.
John Herbert
So many stories - a mixture of good and indifferent.
But good if you want short sharp reads.
Sho
About time I checked him out. Not as good as I thought it would be.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Josh Campbell
Josh Campbell marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Garry R.
Garry R. marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sanna Dullaway
Sanna Dullaway is currently reading it
May 13, 2014
Marylyn Sabol
Marylyn Sabol marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Mouse
Mouse marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Austin Savill
Austin Savill marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
shadeless
shadeless marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Chinmay Bajikar
Chinmay Bajikar marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Ryan Bane
Ryan Bane marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Kaela
Kaela marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)