Start by marking “Stories Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Stories Volume 1

Stories Volume 1

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
One hundred classic stories from the celebrated author of Fahrenheit 451.
softcover, 956 pages
Published (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Stories Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories Volume 1

Ingo
Jun 05, 2012 Ingo rated it really liked it
I don't envy the editors of this collection. There are easier tasks than deciding what to choose from the 500+ stories Brad Bradbury has written in his 90+ years. These two volumes combine about 150 of them (stories, not years), so this is the biggest collection to date.

There are some classics in here that have been anthologized quite a few times: "There Will Come Soft Rains", "A Sound of Thunder", "Mars Is Heaven" among others.

From the lesser known stories I particularly enjoyed some of the cre
Charles Moore
Mar 11, 2015 Charles Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many, many years ago my cousin gave me a copy of Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles." That was about all I ever read of Bradbury until now. I liked the "Martian Chronicles." They were imaginative, exciting, and different in a Twilight Zone
These stories are much broader, of course, but I think represent a very creative mind at work. I have a theory that you get a better idea about the author's thinking and imagination by reading collections of short stories. Instead of having to develop a few ideas t
Henrik
June 6, 2012:

Reading some of Bradbury's short stories on this day, the day he passed away, leaving the world at the age of 91.

"A medicine for Melancholy": Read this one first. A very fine, downplayed story set in the 1700s -- and quite a bold story. What a cure for melancholy!

Up next now: "Fever Dream"...

"Fever Dreams": Reading this was strange, strange indeed. Because it resembled an unpublished story of mine quite some. And I know I've never read this Bradbury tale before. Of course, "Fever Dr
Shawn
May 07, 2016 Shawn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It seems almost blasphemy to make a bad comment about Bradbury's work, given how he is so highly rated, but I found most of these stories pointless. I find he reads like Dickens - why use two words, when twenty would do? And these stories felt very much like he had to hit a word count; repetition or unnecessary detail seem to be the norm.
Stephen Waddington
Oct 11, 2011 Stephen Waddington rated it it was amazing
It's 100 stories so some will be better than others. I would describe them as imaginative, thrilling, moving, thought provoking, prescient, nostalgic and extremely well written; I love the way he uses language.
I will never 'finish' this collection or Volume 2; I have been reading and re-reading these stories for forty years and see no reason to stop now.
Salimbol
Dec 02, 2013 Salimbol rated it really liked it
A rather amazing collection of stories from Bradbury, showcasing his imagination, his ability to shift tone and topics, and his fantastic use of language. (As a side note: I think I deserve a medal for accomplishing the Herculean task of getting through this nearly-1000 page tome ;-).
TheYetiWakes
Feb 12, 2011 TheYetiWakes rated it really liked it
Great collection of stories. This and Volume 2 highly recommended for such a breadth and fun collection to keep near by and dip into whenever.
Jak
Aug 18, 2009 Jak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like any collection of short stories there will be good and bad. Fortunatly there was more good than bad in these two volumes.
John Herbert
Jan 03, 2013 John Herbert rated it liked it
Shelves: over-hyped
So many stories - a mixture of good and indifferent.
But good if you want short sharp reads.
Sho
Aug 04, 2011 Sho rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
About time I checked him out. Not as good as I thought it would be.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Olivier Blondelle
Olivier Blondelle rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Eduard Galvan
Eduard Galvan rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Fan De Bauer
Fan De Bauer marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Joakim
Joakim marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Creag
Creag marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Nev Bezaire
Nev Bezaire marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Bloatnikov
Bloatnikov marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Dragontigerphoenix
Dragontigerphoenix marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Vincenzo
Vincenzo marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Hayleigh
Hayleigh marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Damian Turner-Steele
Damian Turner-Steele marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Ale Zuvic
Ale Zuvic marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Miss E Hendry
Miss E Hendry rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Bacsa
Bacsa rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Yeşim Başaran
Yeşim Başaran marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Mawa Mahima
Mawa Mahima marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
  • The Collector's Book of Science Fiction by H.G. Wells
  • Off Limits: Tales of Alien Sex
  • The Yellow Wallpaper and Selected Writings
  • Unpleasant Tales
  • Stranglers' Moon (Family d'Alembert #2)
  • The Chains That You Refuse
  • Urfaust
  • The Selected Stories
  • We're All in This Together: A Novella and Stories
  • Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...