Start by marking “The Model Millionaire” as Want to Read:
The Model Millionaire

The Model Millionaire

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  486 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
First published in The World in June 1887. Hughie Erskine is in love and wants to marry, but the girl's father will not allow it, since Erskine has no money. Erskine's friend, Alan Trevor is a painter, and he visits him at his studio one day to find him with a pitiable beggar—the model for his painting. Erskine only has one coin, which he depends on for transportation, but ...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about The Model Millionaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Model Millionaire

Nicole
Sep 21, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I love Wilde!!! These stories were almost magical! I can read them to my kids if I wanted to. They were full of important concepts for the young and old. He has an incredible imagination! LOVED IT!!!!!
Neelam Babul
Feb 14, 2016 Neelam Babul rated it it was amazing
I was so taken back by this short story. It has a happy ending making you smile with happiness and the belief that alls well that ends well.

An inspiring read. One good deed begets good in someone's life.

My favourite Quotes:

Romance is the privilege of the rich, not the profession of the unemployed.
Better to have a permanent income than be fascinating.
Unless one is wealthy there's no use in being a charming fellow.
Rosa
The Devoted Friend: **
The Remarkable Rocket: *
El
Jul 03, 2012 El rated it really liked it
(Review just of The Model Millionaire as part of the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.)

Hah, best first lines ever: "Unless one is wealthy there is no use in being a charming fellow. Romance is the privilege of the rich, not the profession of the unemployed. The poor should be practical and prosaic. It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating. These are the great truths of modern life which Hughie Erskine never realised."

Moral of the story: Be nice to strangers.

If this very short
Diana
Oct 18, 2015 Diana rated it it was ok
Huum, no me convenció.
Realini
Feb 18, 2014 Realini rated it really liked it
The Model Millionaire by Oscar Wilde

I wish I would be a “model millionaire”; even if I have been reading positive psychology recently and it seems money do not have such a big impact on happiness. You do not have to be a millionaire to be happy, the richest people are only slightly happier than the average person. One must be above poverty to be happy, indeed poor, homeless inhabitants of Somalia, Burkina Fasso are unhappy. But once we have our basic needs satisfied, every increase in annual inc
Kerrif
Aug 05, 2015 Kerrif rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1800s
Drew
Apr 03, 2015 Drew rated it liked it
Wilde’s writing is as smooth as ever and there are some great bon mots to be found in these pages, even a few great stories overall. But I can’t help but feel strangely let down by the collection. I wanted raucous wit and instead got a fair amount of “remember children, always be good and you too will go to heaven.” Not to say the wit isn’t there, it’s just overwhelmed at times. I can’t imagine any tales beyond perhaps the first two or “The Selfish Giant” (thanks probably to the Damon Albarn son ...more
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Feb 26, 2014 Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors) rated it really liked it
Shelves: oscar-wilde
It was a nice story. I haven't read any 'nice' stories by Oscar Wilde till now. The plot is like a Cindrella story. Even though the plot seems un-Wilde,the dialogues show his dark humor and satire. The artist in this story seemed much similar to the one in his masterpiece,'The picture of Dorian Gray'. A pleasant quick-read.
Rosa Ramôa
Jun 17, 2015 Rosa Ramôa rated it it was amazing

"Antes Ter um Bom Rendimento do que Ser Insinuante

A menos que se tenha muito dinheiro, não vale a pena ser uma pessoa encantadora. O sentimentalismo é privilégio dos ricos, não é profissão para desempregados. Os pobres devem ser práticos e prosaicos. Antes ter um bom rendimento do que ser insinuante".

Xxnarcissisticcannibalxx
Dec 24, 2015 Xxnarcissisticcannibalxx rated it it was amazing
A story that everyone should read....

'Alan,' said Hughie seriously,'you painters are a heartless lot.'
'An artist's heart is his head,' replied Trevor; 'and besides,our business is to realise the world as we see it,not to reform it as we know it.'
Eva
Nov 24, 2015 Eva rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite short stories of Oscar Wilde. But i wish goodreads havent wrote everything about the book here. I'm glad i've read it after i've read the story. It's a very happy one, unlike so many others. Which is very nice.
Alex
This is a collection of Oscar Wilde's short stories, plus an additional short story (modern) in the back.

It's been a while since I read any Oscar Wilde or older literature, so this was a rough change of pace. Plus being short stories...it was tough.

I liked the collection, and I'm glad I bought it, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. The stories were a weird selection, ranging to depressing tales of sacrifice, cynical tales of friendship, and lovely images of kindness. I think I'd have to rerea
Eve
Jul 08, 2014 Eve rated it liked it
Generally well-written but corny as all get out. Dorian Grey has a moral but it doesn't feel as heavy handed as the stories in this collection.
Carly
Mar 07, 2016 Carly rated it it was amazing
This tale, as part of the full Wilde collection I'm reading, was amazing. I loved it. So simple and yet so good.
Ethan Brouder
Jan 22, 2016 Ethan Brouder rated it really liked it
For the most part this was a dull short story, but the ending paragraph made reading the whole (6 pages) worth while.
Trent Gillespie
Sep 26, 2015 Trent Gillespie rated it really liked it
Heard on audiobook. An interesting tale of humbleness & morality in the realm of poverty & richness.
Stephanie
Feb 05, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: bought from library
I enjoyed maybe half of the stories. Often the repetition made me impatient. It should be noted that short stories just aren't my thing.
Neeraj Chavan
May 13, 2016 Neeraj Chavan rated it really liked it
A witty and brilliant tale by Wilde! When it comes to wit, Oscar Wilde is eternal!
Leah
I enjoyed the build-up but then it was just over. :/
Alexandre Lafayette
Superbe recueil de contes qui sont très faciles à lire et riches en leçons de vie. Mon préféré était celui du Rossignol qui se sacrifié pour que l'étudiant puisse obtenir la rose pour son aimée.
Nar Ges
typical wilde's style loved it
Diane
Jul 02, 2014 MariaFernanda rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT!!!
April
Feb 05, 2011 April rated it it was ok
I like Oscar Wilde quite a lot, but this collection gave me little of what I expect from him. These stories are mostly fables and morality tales with similar themes revolving around vanity and friendship. I have more fun reading Grimm's Fairy Tales. Though my love for Oscar Wilde is unabated, I will stick to his plays from now on.

The added story at the end of this book, Tiger Tiger by Simon Van Booy, was far more engaging than anything else in the book. In fact, I think I will read his book next
Fsiemsen
Although I prefer Oscar Wilde's plays to his fiction or short fiction for that matter, I could enjoy this collection. The stories are mostly moralizing fables but Wilde's sense of humor comes through, which alleviates the melodrama. The banter between the characters has the ring of the sophistication of his plays, despite the simplicity of the stories themselves. Many of them are rather touching and pretty imaginative.

And there's a lot of sacrificial bird action.
Anita
Feb 06, 2010 Anita rated it it was ok
I suspect that some of these tales are parodies of Oscar's contemporaries, and so were much more pointed at the time. However, without that information, this was a disappointment - but partly because I expect so much from Oscar Wilde. The only story I really liked was the title one, and one could guess the ending by the middle of the story. 2.5 star.
Stuart Aken
Feb 05, 2015 Stuart Aken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Wilde at his witty, perceptive and socially responsible best. The story is, of course, well known, but this is the first time I've encountered it. A great moral tale, illustrating the fable of the widow's mite, and written with great charm and intelligence. I thoroughly enjoyed this short story.
  • The Turn of the Screw & In the Cage
  • Twenty-Six Men and a Girl and Other Stories
  • Le Petit Nicolas voyage
  • Prelude
  • The Open Window and Other Short Stories
  • What We Remember, What We Forget: The Best Young Writers and Artists in America
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...