Start by marking “The Model Millionaire: Stories” as Want to Read:
The Model Millionaire: Stories

The Model Millionaire: Stories

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Playwright, poet, essayist, flamboyant man-about-town, Oscar Wilde pack an astonishing amount of work, genius, and controversy into two short decades, producing masterworks in every literary genre. This selection includes almost all of his short stories, including "The Canterville Ghost," "The Fisherman and his Soul," and "The Remarkable Rocket."

Alongside THE MODEL MILLION
Published April 28th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Model Millionaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Model Millionaire

Nicole
I love Wilde!!! These stories were almost magical! I can read them to my kids if I wanted to. They were full of important concepts for the young and old. He has an incredible imagination! LOVED IT!!!!!
El
(Review just of The Model Millionaire as part of the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.)

Hah, best first lines ever: "Unless one is wealthy there is no use in being a charming fellow. Romance is the privilege of the rich, not the profession of the unemployed. The poor should be practical and prosaic. It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating. These are the great truths of modern life which Hughie Erskine never realised."

Moral of the story: Be nice to strangers.

If this very short
Realini
The Model Millionaire by Oscar Wilde

I wish I would be a “model millionaire”; even if I have been reading positive psychology recently and it seems money do not have such a big impact on happiness. You do not have to be a millionaire to be happy, the richest people are only slightly happier than the average person. One must be above poverty to be happy, indeed poor, homeless inhabitants of Somalia, Burkina Fasso are unhappy. But once we have our basic needs satisfied, every increase in annual inc
Rosa
The Nightingale and the Rose: ***
The Selfish Giant: ****
The Devoted Friend: **
The Remarkable Rocket: *
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
It was a nice story. I haven't read any 'nice' stories by Oscar Wilde till now. The plot is like a Cindrella story. Even though the plot seems un-Wilde,the dialogues show his dark humor and satire. The artist in this story seemed much similar to the one in his masterpiece,'The picture of Dorian Gray'. A pleasant quick-read.
Eve
Generally well-written but corny as all get out. Dorian Grey has a moral but it doesn't feel as heavy handed as the stories in this collection.
Dianeterry
My first Oscar Wilde, magical love it
April
I like Oscar Wilde quite a lot, but this collection gave me little of what I expect from him. These stories are mostly fables and morality tales with similar themes revolving around vanity and friendship. I have more fun reading Grimm's Fairy Tales. Though my love for Oscar Wilde is unabated, I will stick to his plays from now on.

The added story at the end of this book, Tiger Tiger by Simon Van Booy, was far more engaging than anything else in the book. In fact, I think I will read his book next
Fsiemsen
Although I prefer Oscar Wilde's plays to his fiction or short fiction for that matter, I could enjoy this collection. The stories are mostly moralizing fables but Wilde's sense of humor comes through, which alleviates the melodrama. The banter between the characters has the ring of the sophistication of his plays, despite the simplicity of the stories themselves. Many of them are rather touching and pretty imaginative.

And there's a lot of sacrificial bird action.
Anita
I suspect that some of these tales are parodies of Oscar's contemporaries, and so were much more pointed at the time. However, without that information, this was a disappointment - but partly because I expect so much from Oscar Wilde. The only story I really liked was the title one, and one could guess the ending by the middle of the story. 2.5 star.
Zoe
For? The Model Millionaire

Why? This very short story totally changed me (past negative) opinion of Wilde. Dorian Gray (dull) and The Model Millionaire are like The Hobbit (great) and Lord of the Rings (dull). Totally contrasting works by each author.

- great quotes and one liners
- witty
- simple morals
Sneh Pradhan
A light and humorous piece from the otherwise largely poetic and philosophical works by Wilde ....
" An artist's heart is his head ....our business is to realise the world as we see it , not to reform it as we know it ."
Adinda
2 korte en 2 langere verhalen, vloeiend en gevat geschreven. Vooral 'Het spook van Canterville' is heel humoristisch, maar ook 'De misdaad van lord Arthur Savile' is ronduit ironisch en persiflerend te noemen.

Aanrader!
jecca
a different, child-like side of oscar wilde...same wit and themes of class and aestheticism. i especially enjoyed "the selfish giant" and "the model millionaire." "the fisherman and his soul" is nice too.
M
The title story is excellent; the remaining stories become redundant in their message. The language pre-dates Wilde's own era, using antiquated syntax to make the stories more colloquial.
Timothy Morrow
Not my favorite Oscar Wilde Short story, but a nice simply tale, with a happy ending.....Timothy~
Chris
Always liked Oscar Wilde, his short stories were a nice easy read, but with substance.
Wendy
Loved.

Some of the stories made me cry, I'm not ashamed to tell you. Loved it anyway.
Danielle B.
I liked the shorter stories best, they were more fairy tale-like..
Neil Campbell
Millionaire Models are rare. Model Millionaires rarer still!
Michael Flick
Slight, indeed. Wilde wrote better works to read.
Lindsay
Kind of pedestrian for Wilde, but still enjoyable.
Amy Pjon
It's Oscar Wilde so of course it is amazing!!
Ali
It won't happen in real life..
Paola Paz
Good story, I liked it so much.
Fatma
  • The Portable Poe
  • Ugly Man
  • Virtually Normal
  • A Disgraceful Affair: Stories
  • What We Remember, What We Forget: The Best Young Writers and Artists in America
  • Nature Stories
  • The Peony Pavilion: Mudan ting
  • The Politics of Truth (Foreign Agents)
  • The Open Window and Other Short Stories
  • Dream of Fair to Middling Women
  • A Short History of Chinese Philosophy
  • Truth Serum
  • In Youth is Pleasure & I Left My Grandfather's House
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost