The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  15 reviews
YOUR FAVORITE BAKED GOODS—AS DELICOIUS AS EVER
Packed with cruelty-free cookies, cakes and pastries rich in flavor, The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes provides everything novice bakers and seasoned chefs need to go vegan with an indulgent flair, including:

•Easy-to-make recipes
•Classic baking tips and tricks
•Creamy frostings, icings and toppings
•Simple substitutions for
Published September 8th 2009 by Ulysses Press (first published August 1st 2009)

Kym
Mar 04, 2010 Kym rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who loves to bake and wants to save a few animals along the way
i love this book! unlike every other vegan baking book i've read, this one calls for normal ingredients that most people have around the house (organic sugar, flour, margarine, vanilla, applesauce, etc). there are very few of those obscure vegan ingredients that usually required in most other vegan cookbooks (like agave nectar, tapioca flour, powdered egg substitute, or coconut oil).

i used the recipe for chocolate chip cookies and they turned out to be some of the best damn chocolate chip cookie...more
Kelly
This review was originally published on V for Vegan as part of Veganmofo IV; please click though for additional commentary and photos.

Cookies, muffins and cakes, oh my!

Earlier in the year, I happened upon a giveaway of The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes; publisher Ulysses Press was offering up a few copies of the recently-released book for review. Since I was already a fan of author Kris Holechek through her NOM! NOM! NOM! BLOG (and, perhaps more to the point, am unable to pass up a vegan freebi...more
Emma
Sep 10, 2009 Emma added it
I am loving this book. The recipes are easy and no weird ingredients. I have made the Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies, the Oatmeal Drizzles and the Gingerbread, they were all awesome!
Virginia Hill
In the first year after receiving this book as a gift I've made nearly 20 of 100 recipes. The results of those recipes have all been amazing! Ms. Holechek offers some invaluable information, tips, and suggestions. I also like her difficulty rating system for each recipe. I've found the book's scale of 1 to 4 spoons extremely helpful when allotting time to prepare a recipe. Her instructions are easy to follow and the results are delectable!

If you're dealing with certain allergies, as I am, this...more
Lauren
The book has some winning recipes in it - but you have to be willing to take the risk and just jump in. If you are a cook that likes a lot of photos and directions, this book may not be for you. Also, if you are new to vegan baking, I would suggest another book first... to get your feet "wet" and familiarize with substitutions, ingredients, etc. It's very plain - all black and white, no photos, and only a little bit of explanation - but it does have many good recipe offerings. I made several of...more
Trelesa
This is a fabulous basic Vegan baking book! I love that the only ingredients avoided are to keep in line with vegan diets (not requiring different sugars, oils, or flours). I've made the blueberry muffins and cornbread and both turned out great (successful enough that my non-vegan family liked them also.) Also a good egg replacement chart in the intro chapter. There is a nice variety of recipes, while covering the basics. The drawback is there are no photos.
AJ
I've only tried one recipe in here so far (french toast muffins) and they were quite delicious. Can't wait to try a bunch more! I like how simple many of the recipes are, and while many of them are standards, they're still different from the stuff I have in so many other vegan cookbooks. One bummer is that the book has no pictures, except for the cover. I think the chapter with EZ Bake Oven recipes is kinda cute.
Lotta
Since I first got this cookbook, I have tried at least four, and they have all turned out very well - two even became new favourites. When I want to bake, I turn to this book - that's five stars from me! A minus with this book is that there are no pictures to the recipes. I like visuals in my cookbooks. A plus is that there are very few strange ingredients.
Joni
This looks good, but I would love for the recipes to be more healthful. Although the author does come right out at say that this isn't a health food book!

I'm sure I'll find some recipes in here that we won't be able to live without. I can't wait to try the Chocolate Peanut Butter Shells - they sound absolutely sinful!
Yodamom
Yummy ! My kids and I baked several cakes and cookies from this book and all came out delicious ! Our favorite was the Pumpkin Cinn-A Zigg Bread and the Choco-Chai Coffee Cake. They were so easy to make with no special ingredients. My only complaint is that there are no pictures. I like pictures.
Susan Erhardt
Mmmmmm...... it would get 5 stars if it had pictures! I love the few recipes for mini cakes and cookies you could use in the Easy Bake Oven. I made the banana bread and it was extrememly tasty. My family ate most of it at one dinner.
Jessica
Jun 11, 2012 Jessica is currently reading it
Shelves: cookbooks
Fudgy Macaroon Bars: I really liked these coconut bars, but wasn't a huge fan of topping them with fudgy frosting.
Ianna
Almost every recipe calls for margarine
Jess
So far, so good! Delicious recipes.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Dr.muna
Dr.muna marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
DEBORAH STAPLETON
DEBORAH STAPLETON marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Miss Flowers
Miss Flowers marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Patrícia
Patrícia marked it as to-read
Claudia Baptista
Claudia Baptista marked it as to-read
Joana Dias
Joana Dias marked it as to-read
Bonita
Bonita is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2014
Astrid Vega
Astrid Vega marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Express
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
Kris Holechek Peters grew up in her grandmother's kitchen, absorbing every flavor and technique until she was able to perfect her grandmother's favorite baking recipes. When she became vegan, Kris learned to create those old family favorites and exciting new baked treats without using any animal products.

Kris lives in the Midwest with her kitties and an excessively large collection of Bundt pans.
More about Kris Holechek Peters...
Have Your Cake and Vegan Too: 50 Dazzling and Delicious Cake Creations The I Love Trader Joe's Vegetarian Cookbook: 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes Using Foods from the World's Greatest Grocery Store Vegan Desserts in Jars: Adorably Delicious Pies, Cakes, Puddings, and Much More Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches: Cool Recipes for Delicious Dairy-Free Ice Creams and Cookies