The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  17 reviews
YOUR FAVORITE BAKED GOODS—AS DELICOIUS AS EVER
Packed with cruelty-free cookies, cakes and pastries rich in flavor, The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes provides everything novice bakers and seasoned chefs need to go vegan with an indulgent flair, including:

•Easy-to-make recipes
•Classic baking tips and tricks
•Creamy frostings, icings and toppings
•Simple substitutions for
Published September 8th 2009 by Ulysses Press (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes

Kym
Mar 04, 2010 Kym rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to bake and wants to save a few animals along the way
i love this book! unlike every other vegan baking book i've read, this one calls for normal ingredients that most people have around the house (organic sugar, flour, margarine, vanilla, applesauce, etc). there are very few of those obscure vegan ingredients that usually required in most other vegan cookbooks (like agave nectar, tapioca flour, powdered egg substitute, or coconut oil).

i used the recipe for chocolate chip cookies and they turned out to be some of the best damn chocolate chip cookie...more
Kelly
This review was originally published on V for Vegan as part of Veganmofo IV; please click though for additional commentary and photos.

Cookies, muffins and cakes, oh my!

Earlier in the year, I happened upon a giveaway of The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes; publisher Ulysses Press was offering up a few copies of the recently-released book for review. Since I was already a fan of author Kris Holechek through her NOM! NOM! NOM! BLOG (and, perhaps more to the point, am unable to pass up a vegan freebi...more
Emma
Sep 10, 2009 Emma added it
I am loving this book. The recipes are easy and no weird ingredients. I have made the Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies, the Oatmeal Drizzles and the Gingerbread, they were all awesome!
Mckinley
I was interested to try out some of these. And I did. Disappointing.

She uses a white icing 'recipe' a lot; it's powered sugar and milk - all you taste is that odd powered sugar flavor. I even added vanilla extract without much improvement. So I added butter, I KNOW! Not very vegan but it had some taste and body. I put it on the chocolate doughnuts. Which smelled very chocolatey but didn't taste good. They are thick and a bit gummy. There's no leavening agent. They don't have enough sugar 1/4c t...more
Virginia Hill
In the first year after receiving this book as a gift I've made nearly 20 of 100 recipes. The results of those recipes have all been amazing! Ms. Holechek offers some invaluable information, tips, and suggestions. I also like her difficulty rating system for each recipe. I've found the book's scale of 1 to 4 spoons extremely helpful when allotting time to prepare a recipe. Her instructions are easy to follow and the results are delectable!

If you're dealing with certain allergies, as I am, this...more
Jenny D
Every recipe in this book is awesome. I have not had a bad one yet, and I've been baking a lot from it. I love the simplicity and straightforwardness, such a joy to find in the vegan baking world!!
Lauren
The book has some winning recipes in it - but you have to be willing to take the risk and just jump in. If you are a cook that likes a lot of photos and directions, this book may not be for you. Also, if you are new to vegan baking, I would suggest another book first... to get your feet "wet" and familiarize with substitutions, ingredients, etc. It's very plain - all black and white, no photos, and only a little bit of explanation - but it does have many good recipe offerings. I made several of...more
Trelesa
This is a fabulous basic Vegan baking book! I love that the only ingredients avoided are to keep in line with vegan diets (not requiring different sugars, oils, or flours). I've made the blueberry muffins and cornbread and both turned out great (successful enough that my non-vegan family liked them also.) Also a good egg replacement chart in the intro chapter. There is a nice variety of recipes, while covering the basics. The drawback is there are no photos.
AJ
I've only tried one recipe in here so far (french toast muffins) and they were quite delicious. Can't wait to try a bunch more! I like how simple many of the recipes are, and while many of them are standards, they're still different from the stuff I have in so many other vegan cookbooks. One bummer is that the book has no pictures, except for the cover. I think the chapter with EZ Bake Oven recipes is kinda cute.
Lotta
Since I first got this cookbook, I have tried at least four, and they have all turned out very well - two even became new favourites. When I want to bake, I turn to this book - that's five stars from me! A minus with this book is that there are no pictures to the recipes. I like visuals in my cookbooks. A plus is that there are very few strange ingredients.
Joni
This looks good, but I would love for the recipes to be more healthful. Although the author does come right out at say that this isn't a health food book!

I'm sure I'll find some recipes in here that we won't be able to live without. I can't wait to try the Chocolate Peanut Butter Shells - they sound absolutely sinful!
Yodamom
Yummy ! My kids and I baked several cakes and cookies from this book and all came out delicious ! Our favorite was the Pumpkin Cinn-A Zigg Bread and the Choco-Chai Coffee Cake. They were so easy to make with no special ingredients. My only complaint is that there are no pictures. I like pictures.
Susan Erhardt
Mmmmmm...... it would get 5 stars if it had pictures! I love the few recipes for mini cakes and cookies you could use in the Easy Bake Oven. I made the banana bread and it was extrememly tasty. My family ate most of it at one dinner.
Jessica
Jun 11, 2012 Jessica is currently reading it
Shelves: cookbooks
Fudgy Macaroon Bars: I really liked these coconut bars, but wasn't a huge fan of topping them with fudgy frosting.
Ianna
Almost every recipe calls for margarine
Jess
So far, so good! Delicious recipes.
Geetha Makesh
Geetha Makesh marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Debbie Mansell
Debbie Mansell marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Mdsklar
Mdsklar marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Elizabeth Hale
Elizabeth Hale marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Neeta
Neeta marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Adrienne Wilson
Adrienne Wilson marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Vegan Express
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
Kris Holechek Peters grew up in her grandmother's kitchen, absorbing every flavor and technique until she was able to perfect her grandmother's favorite baking recipes. When she became vegan, Kris learned to create those old family favorites and exciting new baked treats without using any animal products.

Kris lives in the Midwest with her kitties and an excessively large collection of Bundt pans.
More about Kris Holechek Peters...
Have Your Cake and Vegan Too: 50 Dazzling and Delicious Cake Creations The I Love Trader Joe's Vegetarian Cookbook: 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes Using Foods from the World's Greatest Grocery Store Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches: Cool Recipes for Delicious Dairy-Free Ice Creams and Cookies Vegan Desserts in Jars: Adorably Delicious Pies, Cakes, Puddings, and Much More