The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More

The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The prevalence of celiac disease and gluten sensitivity among millions of adults and children has created the need for gluten-free recipes that are as nutritious and tasty as their traditional counterparts. Popular food blogger Elana Amsterdam offers ninety-nine family-friendly classics–from Pancakes to Eggplant Parmesan to Chocolate Cake–that feature her gluten-free ingre...more
Published July 28th 2009 by Celestial Arts

To ask other readers questions about The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook

Practical Paleo by Diane SanfilippoIt Starts with Food by Dallas HartwigThe Primal Blueprint by Mark SissonWell Fed by Melissa JoulwanThe Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
Best Paleo/Primal Books
56th out of 103 books — 105 voters
The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin by Beatrix PotterThe Nutcracker by E.T.A. HoffmannThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1 by Charles M. SchulzMuch Ado About Nothing by William ShakespeareYou're Never Too Old for Nuts and Berries by G.B. Trudeau
Nuts!
33rd out of 42 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

I've had this book for a couple years now. I haven't made a lot from it because the things I did make did not turn out, and I was using her recommended source of almond flour. I tried making my own recipe of pumpkin pie with her recipe for pie crust, and the crust was completely soggy. I think I did it twice even, and it failed both times. I don't know how well the crust works with the filling recipes in the book, but the book says it should work for anything and it does not. Almond flour is so...more
Jessie
This book was not worth the money. The recipes did not turn out because steps were missing. I make a lot of food from scratch and I was not able to create the food properly. The desserts either didn't last long before they became soggy- and I mean they lasted maybe 3 days tops before you had to throw them out. The main dishes didn't turn out and became really frustrating when the ingredients you are using are expensive! And what did turn out tasted alright. It wasn't anything to brag about or br...more
Angela Boord
When I first stopped eating grains and sugar, I was in mourning for some time over the fact that I wouldn't be able to have dessert!! I had decided that I really didn't like coconut flour much and that it was too expensive to use on a regular basis because of the enormous amounts of eggs required to make it into bread. But the almond flour recipes in this cookbook are really yummy, and I can eat birthday cake with everybody else! Our favorite recipe is her recipe for chocolate cake, which tastes...more
Kate
I like to experiment with gluten-free baking--the complicated kind that involves multiple flours, xanthan gum, and hit-or-miss results; I'm a baker, and I enjoy a challenge. But this is my go-to source of everyday recipes. Almond flour may be pricey, but it's an amazing ingredient: delicious, highly nutritious--far more so than most other flours--and it bakes up like a dream. Many of Elana's recipes use only a half-dozen or so ingredients. Compare that with a recipe from most gluten-free website...more
Sarah Kelsey
This is another of my top 5 gluten-free cookbooks. Elana Amsterdam has a fantastic blog, Elana's Pantry, that offers a number of wonderful recipes, but this cookbook is a frequently used text in my kitchen. She has recipes for bread, cake, cookies, and other foods that people might miss after going gluten-free. She also avoids refined sugar, so alternative sweeteners (like agave) are the norm in her recipes. It was this cookbook author that introduced me to yacon syrup, grape seed oil, and the w...more
Lee Overton
Very ingenious cookbook where she's built all the recipes around Almond Flour. What's good about this is you can make a bunch of recipes with the same ingredients which is rare for cooking Gluten-Free (GF). I liked how conscious she is about ingredients and the use of natural foods. Her recipes are nutritious and easy. So far I've really enjoyed almost all of the recipes I've made. My only comment is that sometimes a few of them begin to all taste the same because of the use of the same ingredie...more
Iamaby En
Good recipes...I can't wait to try the black bean burgers! I wish that more of the information she had in her introduction were foot-noted because I hate it when authors write "recent research indicates that..." without backing the statement with a source. Also wishing that there had been more pictures of the final products.
Suz
This is an excellent cookbook. I really like the recipes. I think it's better to mix other flours with the almond flout because it can be dense, moist, and crumbly.
Readyourselfhealthy
This is one of my favorite cookbooks of all time. After getting tons of recipes from http://www.elanaspantry.com/ (especially for cupcakes and frosting), I bought the book and was not disappointed. Though the recipes are not SCD, I found that by substituting honey for agave nectar, I could modify most of them to fit. My family can't get enough of the coffee cake and cookies. Then's there's chocolate cream pie, grain-free pecan raisin bread, and chicken pot pie. So delicious!
Bonnie
Being gluten free, I'm so freakin' glad I finally discovered baking with almond flour and coconut flour. These recipes are super-awesome. I love every pie recipe I've tried and the snickerdoodles are my absolute favorite cookie ever. Some recipes are vegan too which is helpful for me, but most of her recipes are easily modifiable for the egg and/or dairy-sensitive. I've also started following her blog and I rarely make something of hers that I don't just love.
Angela
Many recipes called for an ingredient I've never used before and couldn't find locally (arrowroot) and/or an ingredient I am not willing to use (agave nectar). I attempted to adapt one of the recipes to meet my requirements, and it wasn't hugely successful, but it could have been due to poor choices for substitute ingredients. The recipes might be great as written, but I'll never know.
claire
A friend and fellow baker/cook got this and the BabyCakes cookbook for me as a gift. I like this one a lot so far, but have only tried 3 recipes. It's true what she says about using almond flour as opposed to almond meal--read her ingredients list in the front and the resources list in the back before you start and stock up on exactly the right ingredients, it really makes a difference.
Rashelle
This is an awesome cook book, I've made a few of the recipes Elana has on her website www.elanaspantry.com and they are great. After I made those recipes I bought the book. These recipes offer Gluten Intolerant people like myself a tastier and healthier alternative to typical gluten free flours that you find in most GF recipes. I can't wait to make everything in this book!
Sara
I was excited to get this, but then less excited as I read. I think if I were GF and wanted to live happily, I would embrace her recipes and wisdom. Since I was just hoping for some new recipes I could use my almond meal in, I was disappointed. Her recipes are very specific and require ingredients I simply don't keep on hand because of expense. Oh well.
Katy Emanuel
Great cookbook. We have tried a number of recipes from this book and not a one has disappointed us. This cookbook is a big hit in our house. Our 2.5 year old loves many of the recipes from this book and will often ask for the fish sticks.
Flknitter
This book is an amazing source to learning how to cook with almond flour! As a follower of Elana's blog, which is also a wonderful resource, I would highly recommend this book to those looking to improve their health by eliminating grains. Almond flour is a nutrient dense, lower carb alternative to traditional flour.
Katie
Very easy cookbook if you're looking to go Gf or just lower carb/allergen...she does use some dairy but I adapt as needed. The ingredients are simple and not "out there" like a lot of gf books. Almond meal makes really delicious muffins, etc...we really love the apple cinnamon muffins, they are so good they taste like cake!
Lisa
i think that i will be buying this for myself. most of the recipes are so easy and not a whole list of ingredients that are hard to find. almond flour and grapeseed oil are in most of the recipes as well as occasionally agave. it all sounds delicious and easy i look forward to trying these gluten free ideas
Dru
I throughly enjoyed reading Elana's descriptions of each creation that she had cooked up. Not only did I want to try them all, but I am also able to! It's rare for me to find a recipe that I don't have to modify to fit my diet-I cannot have gluten, corn or soy. I'm having so much fun trying out her recipes!
Falcon
Amazing and delicious recipes for gluten-free and even Paleo folk, the pancake and cookie recipe's being standouts.

Elana's blog (http://www.elanaspantry.com), is also chock full of GF & Paleo recipe's that satisfy even the most stubborn cravings, especially her recipe for Paleo bread!
Lisa
I'm not one to post a "cookbook", as reading material. However, this is a fabulous book, not only for my celiac son, but for the family as a healthy alternative. "Almond flour", is now my best friend, along with coconut Oil and Agave nectar. What's not to love for a healthy heart......
Nicole
Gluten free recipes always seem to be hit or miss, with usually more misses than hits. However, this cookbook seems to have many great gluten free recipes. I can't wait to try them all out. If you're going to have just one gluten free cookbook, this is it.
Stephanie
I really liked this book, more than the previous cookbook, the one that I said I was going to purchase. I think I'll change my mind as I really enjoy this one. Maybe I'll just photocopy the recipes instead of buying...
Crystal
All the recipes sounded super tasty. The recipes didn't look too hard, and the pictures looked yummy. I think that I am going to purchase this book because it will be a good addition to my collection.
Kaci
Nov 24, 2012 Kaci rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I've made a few of the recipes and so far they're good enough that it's a keeper. It's especially helpful to have a book that focuses on Almond Flour, since it's a high-protein, delicious alternative to wheat.
Lisa
Wow, this book is a lifesaver. Shifting to a "free" diet (i.e., gluten-, yeast-, wheat-, dairy-, chicken egg-, and sugar-free) might've kicked my butt if not for this and the blog searching it prompted.
Noreen Pelna Nouza
Great recipes. My issue is that I am visual. I struggle with this resource because there is a lack of pictures.
However, Elana is a great blogger and there are plenty of pictures online she has posted.
Sommer Marsden
three words: nom-nom-nom!
easy, fun, delicious GF recipes that are often healthier versions of beloved foods and some are even GF and vegan too. A great book for those who just made the switch to GF living.
Dawna
Love this cookbook! One of my favorites is the chocolate chip scones, they taste just like cookies. Since they are made with almond flour, I feel no guilt feeding them to my kids for breakfast!
Kate Burgan
A wonderful addition to my Gluten-Free area of cooking. Still working on getting a really great almond flour (as recommended) and hope to start working with some of the recipes this summer.
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
  • Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans
  • Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-Free Kids
  • Everyday Paleo
  • Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back & How You Can Too
  • Wheat Belly Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes Gluten-Free Cupcakes: 50 Irresistible Recipes Made with Almond and Coconut Flour Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-Free Kids The Paleo Chocolate Lovers' Cookbook: 80 Gluten-Free Treats for Breakfast & Dessert Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe & Guidebook for Gluten-free Kids