Start by marking “The House by the Churchyard (Wordsworth Tales of Mystery and the Supernatural)” as Want to Read:
The House by the Churchyard (Wordsworth Tales of Mystery and the Supernatural)

The House by the Churchyard (Wordsworth Tales of Mystery and the Supernatural)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu is best known today as one of the Victorian period s leading exponents of supernatural fiction, and was described by M.R. James as standing absolutely in the first rank as a writer of ghost stories.
The House by the Churchyard is perhaps his best novel in this genre. Set in the village of Chapelizod, near Dublin, in the 1760s the story opens with t
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about The House by the Churchyard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House by the Churchyard

Tristram
Simply one of the most gripping novels I have ever read

Admittedly, the first 200 or so pages of this book may be a major put-off to quite a number of readers, but then diamonds have to be cut thoroughly before you can see them shine, and what Sheridan Le Fanu tells us about the inhabitants of Chapelizod is extremely hilarious, no doubt, though maybe not linked too closely with the main plot. However, sticking to the point, like a fly to a pudding, is over-estimated, anyway.

Basically “The House b
Sheridan
To anyone who has the patience and application this is one of the great works of literature bringing as it does the atmosphere of having been written at the time of the Irish Holocaust-the potato famine of 1847+. Stylistically it is as near to perfect as a narrative is likely to be, the writer's attention to detail in describing a still living suburb(in the 21st Century) of Dublin in the mid 19th Century of life in the 18th Century for one who knows the area intimately, is fantastic.
The humour a
Heather
I originally bought this book to get in the mood for Halloween thinking it was going to be a creepy story. I had read Uncle Silas and loved it. I assumed "The House by the Churchyard" would be just as good and hoped it would be especially because the book is so thick!

I felt overwhelmed by the number of characters when I first began reading. The confusion cleared up some as I read on but not completely because there were so many personalities to keep straight. I remember reading for some time and
Susan Wight
This is one of those rare books that I have given up on.
150 pages in, I was still stuck with a confusing array of characters - none of whom emerged as the protagonist. I also had no idea of which events were important to the plot and which were light relief. There seemed to be an awful lot of light relief for a Gothic tale. During a burial in the prologue, a skull is unearthed which bears the marks of a violent death. IN the novel proper, the bulk of the action takes place some hundred years ea
Valerie Sirr

Many of le Fanu's stories take place in the Phoenix Park, Dublin, and in the nearby village of Chapelizod: 'Ghost Stories of Chapelizod' and later this novel 'The House by the Churchyard'.

A modern reader might find some of the stories less than spine-chilling and some might dislike the long sentences used by a 19th century author, but I found them readable rather than turgid and always meticulously grammatical. The stories are interesting in the context of the history of Gothic fiction and of so
Jon Recluse
A charming tale of ghosts, mystery and murder set in Ireland during the 1700s. While a touch slow in the early going, Le Fanu's careful recreation of village life at the time reaps rewards for the patient reader.
Tracie Janette
I can't recall if I actually finished it or not. I love old books, and love that Project Gutenberg is saving them online for us to read. However, old books are not written in modern reader format. Like Shakespeare they need translation, not only of the language but in style. Maybe editors didn't exist in 1800 but Le Fanu's Churchyard rambled from story to story and some characters went on forever about information not relevant to the story and long past what we would consider colorful or descrip ...more
Luna Selene
Oh, Le Fanu, how you leave your stories unfinished!

The House by the Churchyard is an engaging tale, but as I've experienced with Le Fanu before, a little drawn out and unsatisfying at the end. I've begun to wonder if he remembers the things he starts but never brings to a close!
Gee
I think this is where I stop trying to convince myself that I like Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. Not his fault, but I just don't find his books creepy at all. He does do a decent Gothic, and he isn't snooze-inducing like some others I could mention, but he isn't for me.
Tocotin
It was a mess in places but I love Sheridan Le Fanu and I really liked the portrait of a little Irish town and the good people living there - marginal characters being much more interesting than the main ones.
Edgar
This probably wasn't what it sounded to be even in 1863. No horror/gothic/supernatural-ness, and far too much Irish nineteenth-centuryism for children of the 2000s.
Christopher
I am reading the Project Gutenberg version.

This is one of the ==>countless<== books that were in James Joyce's mind as he worked on _Finnegans Wake_.
Batgrl (Not Trusting GR With My Reviews/Shelves Now)
On my to read list thanks to recommendations by both M. R. James and H. P. Lovecraft. (Hmm, not 100% sure on the Lovecraft, now that I think of it.)
Jesse Williams
Not the best work by le Fanu by far. I was very disappointed at the drawn out style that lead to... Nothing.
Diana Marques
Another horror and mystery story written by an irish writer.
Ifor
Ifor marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jussi
Jussi marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Juliette
Juliette marked it as to-read
Nika Sergeeva
Nika Sergeeva marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Victoria Risoldi
Victoria Risoldi marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Paige West-Fisher
Paige West-Fisher marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
this is a goodnight 1 4 Dec 10, 2013 06:34AM
  • Ghost Stories
  • Varney the Vampire
  • Hauntings and Other Fantastic Tales
  • Terror by Night: Classic Ghost & Horror Stories (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural)
  • The Collected Ghost Stories of E.F. Benson
  • Zofloya
  • Gothic Short Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • The Beetle
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • Gothic Tales
  • The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories (Tales Of Mystery & The Supernatural)
  • Tales Of Unease
  • More Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
  • The Cambridge Companion to Gothic Fiction
  • Wagner the Werewolf
  • Aurora Floyd
  • The Haunted Hotel
  • Carnacki, the Ghost Finder
Joseph Thomas Sheridan Le Fanu was an Irish writer of Gothic tales and mystery novels. He was the premier ghost story writer of the nineteenth century and had a seminal influence on the development of this genre in the Victorian era.
More about Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu...
Carmilla Uncle Silas In a Glass Darkly Best Ghost Stories of J. S. Le Fanu Madam Crowl's Ghost & Other Stories