Start by marking “The Secret Life Of Dogs” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Secret Life Of Dogs

Sarah Hodgson

The Secret Life Of Dogs

Published August 28th 1998 by Prentice Hall (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life Of Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life Of Dogs

Karen
May 28, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
I am probably the biggest dog lover there is, but even I can be somewhat objective about anthropomorphizing (sp?) their behavior. Yes, dogs have emotions, but they are not human, and not everything they do can or should be interpreted though human psychology. I think the authour goes a bit far with her attributions of thought or emotion. Even still, uit was an interesting book for a dog lover to read.

In the book, one of the members of the dog family died and the dogs howled all night long. I be
Larry Verstraete
Apr 30, 2015 Larry Verstraete rated it it was amazing
I picked up The Secret Lives of Dogs thinking it would be a nifty research tool for a novel I hoped to write. With its simple format and detailed index, it was easy to breeze through the pages to find the information I needed. The book is packed with useful information, the tone is light-hearted and humorous, and I was enamored by factual gems spread through the pages. I didn't know, for example, that dogs have scent glands in their paws (which helps to explain their compulsive digging behavior) ...more
Hilary
Dec 16, 2007 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: my-own
Amazing. Easily the precursor to the whole dog-whisperer rage. The anecdotes are told by Sarah, who was at the time an anthropologist on an extended leave of absence. She got bored and began to study her dogs. She chronicles behaviors and emotions such as the expected devotion -- to other dogs as well as to humans -- but also abuse, strict self-imposed order, manipulation and even rape. Very eye-opening. You'll never look at dogs the same.
Rachel
Sep 21, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
I am a huge animal lover but I think this book lost me in its analytical look at dogs and its application of human-like characteristics to them. I agree with the viewer who called Sarah Hodgson the Jane Goodall of Dogs. I just don't think that was the type of book I was looking for.
Mindy
Aug 15, 2008 Mindy rated it it was amazing
I am SO not an animal person but I read this book over ten years ago and it was absolutely fascinating. The author, an anthropologist, decided to follow her dog around at night and wrote this book about it.
Lauren
Apr 08, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing
You'll never look at dogs the same way again. An anthropologist decides to doggedly follow a friend's Huskie through the streets at night.
Jesse
Jul 10, 2008 Jesse rated it liked it
a good study on a subject not really addressed too often: domestic/wild reversion in behavior within urban environments. a solid example of the power of adaptation.
Danica
Jul 09, 2012 Danica rated it it was amazing
If this was the same book I remember, I loved it . It looked at stray dog behavior, vs. House dog pug -like behavior and I was intrigued the whole time.
Malcolm Browning
Malcolm Browning rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2013
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2008
Rachel Marie
Rachel Marie rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Lynettes
Lynettes rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2011
April
April rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2012
Suma
Suma rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2008
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2011
Elle Wei
Elle Wei rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2009
Kacy Butcher
Kacy Butcher rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2016
Alyssa Wescott
Alyssa Wescott rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Alisa
Alisa rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2012
Elizabeth Koutny
Apr 17, 2015 Elizabeth Koutny rated it it was ok
Not crazy about this one. I couldn't relate to her ideas about dogs.
J J
J J rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
stacy vanderwoude
stacy vanderwoude rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016