Start by marking “The Secret Life Of Dogs” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Secret Life Of Dogs
Sarah Hodgson

The Secret Life Of Dogs

Published August 28th 1998 by Prentice Hall (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life Of Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life Of Dogs

Larry Verstraete
Apr 30, 2015 Larry Verstraete rated it it was amazing
I picked up The Secret Lives of Dogs thinking it would be a nifty research tool for a novel I hoped to write. With its simple format and detailed index, it was easy to breeze through the pages to find the information I needed. The book is packed with useful information, the tone is light-hearted and humorous, and I was enamored by factual gems spread through the pages. I didn't know, for example, that dogs have scent glands in their paws (which helps to explain their compulsive digging behavior) ...more
May 28, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
I am probably the biggest dog lover there is, but even I can be somewhat objective about anthropomorphizing (sp?) their behavior. Yes, dogs have emotions, but they are not human, and not everything they do can or should be interpreted though human psychology. I think the authour goes a bit far with her attributions of thought or emotion. Even still, uit was an interesting book for a dog lover to read.

In the book, one of the members of the dog family died and the dogs howled all night long. I be
Thundarr Smith
Feb 09, 2014 Thundarr Smith rated it did not like it
crazy dog lady. if you collect dolls and you're an adult you'll probably love this book.
Elizabeth Koutny
Apr 17, 2015 Elizabeth Koutny rated it it was ok
Not crazy about this one. I couldn't relate to her ideas about dogs.
Dec 16, 2007 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: my-own
Amazing. Easily the precursor to the whole dog-whisperer rage. The anecdotes are told by Sarah, who was at the time an anthropologist on an extended leave of absence. She got bored and began to study her dogs. She chronicles behaviors and emotions such as the expected devotion -- to other dogs as well as to humans -- but also abuse, strict self-imposed order, manipulation and even rape. Very eye-opening. You'll never look at dogs the same.
Sep 21, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
I am a huge animal lover but I think this book lost me in its analytical look at dogs and its application of human-like characteristics to them. I agree with the viewer who called Sarah Hodgson the Jane Goodall of Dogs. I just don't think that was the type of book I was looking for.
Aug 15, 2008 Mindy rated it it was amazing
I am SO not an animal person but I read this book over ten years ago and it was absolutely fascinating. The author, an anthropologist, decided to follow her dog around at night and wrote this book about it.
Jul 10, 2008 Jesse rated it liked it
a good study on a subject not really addressed too often: domestic/wild reversion in behavior within urban environments. a solid example of the power of adaptation.
Jul 09, 2012 Danica rated it it was amazing
If this was the same book I remember, I loved it . It looked at stray dog behavior, vs. House dog pug -like behavior and I was intrigued the whole time.
Apr 08, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing
You'll never look at dogs the same way again. An anthropologist decides to doggedly follow a friend's Huskie through the streets at night.
Jaymie Weinberg
Feb 18, 2008 Jaymie Weinberg rated it really liked it
So interesting! She's like the Jane Goodall of dogs.
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Kacy Butcher
Kacy Butcher rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2016
stacy vanderwoude
stacy vanderwoude rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Alexalopez marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Kp is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2016
Stacey rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Ava rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Jane Crawford
Jane Crawford marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Iva Zuniga Hilburn
Iva Zuniga Hilburn rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Rachel Marie
Rachel Marie rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Luanne Fp
Luanne Fp marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Liz Calderon
Liz Calderon rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Mona is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2014
April rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Nora Verruca
Nora Verruca marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014