Start by marking “All The Nice Girls” as Want to Read:
All The Nice Girls

All The Nice Girls

2.69 of 5 stars 2.69  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  9 reviews
ALL THE NICE GIRLS captures the danger and excitement of wartime Britain with a sweeping story of heroic deeds and painful separations, illicit love and battles at sea, and above all, of the poignancy of longing and loss.

1942, and the war is not going well. As part of the war effort the Ashworth Grammar School for Girls signs up for the Merchant Navy’s Ship Adoption Schem
Published September 1st 2009 by Virago Press (UK) (first published March 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about All The Nice Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All The Nice Girls

Tifa Leigh
Easy, comfortable read. I enjoyed that the book was set very close to home for me, which was a surprise as I had no idea when I picked up this novel.
Nearing the end of war, the book is set in North West England in the place I live now and also where I grew up on the seaside.
It was lovely to imagine a romantic war time atmosphere in the places I've known and spent time growing up around.

A good read, however I feel that if the author intended to keep any shock twists until the end, they were ea
Bronwyn Rykiert
Annie
I'm a great admirer of Joan Bakewell as a journalist, and I really wanted to love this book - but it was a little disappointing. Cynthia and Josh, the main protagonists with their tragic story, were quite well drawn but the rest never became more than cyphers and stereotypes for me. The wartime setting is well done, but that doesn't make it a great book. The story's a good one, well told, and this is an entertaining enough read with attempts to tackle some of the social issues of the day. I read ...more
Hayley
A romantic wartime novel, a first novel by Joan Bakewell.
Capturing the danger and excitement of wartime Britain, the painful seperations, illicit love and battles at sea. The story flows well with fast forwards to the present day. Highlights the fact that things don't always turn out the way you want. A comfortable read.
E
I was hoping this would be pure historical fiction, WWII, about an interesting morale building program I hadn't known about: schools adopting ships and making pen pals of the sailors, for the war effort.
Then there was a whole connect to the present, family secrets, flashback plot.. wasn't too fond of that.
Alison
Expected something rather better - found it a bit forgettable to be honest and not very gripping.
Tracey  Wilde
Not what I was expecting from Joan Bakewell. Quite tame. A pleasant war time romance.
Veronica
Odd ending, but otherwise good.
This book is just brilliant
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Brontee
Brontee marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Teagan
Teagan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Madeline Freedman
Madeline Freedman marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Martha Jacobs
Martha Jacobs marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Charlotte Colman
Charlotte Colman marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Megan Gunderson
Megan Gunderson marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Sarah Zaidi
Sarah Zaidi marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Billie-Marie Osborn
Billie-Marie Osborn marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Dom
Dom marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Taylor McCabe
Taylor McCabe marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Becca Ehling
Becca Ehling marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Dena
Dena marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
She's Leaving Home The Centre Of The Bed The View From Here:  Life At Seventy Belief New Priesthood: British Television Today