Start by marking “Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)” as Want to Read:
Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)

Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight #6)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  44 reviews

Justin Ridge
Rad Sechrist
Kean Soo

Published July 21st 2009 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about Flight, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight, Vol. 6

karen
i liked this one a lot more than the last few volumes. although they have largely dispensed with the concept of flight as a unifying theme, its still great to get little snippets of illustrators i may not have come across. plus - more jellaby!and a mushroom quiche recipe! who could ask for more from a graphic novel anthology??
Sesana
Yet another Flight anthology filled with great art and writing of a slightly lower quality overall. I loved almost all of the art here, but not nearly as much of the writing. But that's what you get in an anthology, and this one at least is uniformly nice to look at.
Blake
I love comics, and I love short stories, so this is a perfect pairing to me.
Tung
Image Comics is one of the largest comic book publishers in the world. They made moves into online comics far ahead of the establishment publishers DC and Marvel. Image supports a legion of young professional and non-professional cartoonists. In 2004, they published their first anthology of these cartoonists’ creative efforts (Flight, Volume One). Volume Six continues the showcasing of young graphic talent. The tales told in these works span the entire spectrum of contemporary comic stylings fro...more
Jasmine
Flight is always a pleasure to read. Storyboard and advertising artists rarely have the opportunity to display their sequential storytelling talents in print.
Aside from the Saga of Rex, I enjoyed reading all of these unique and colorful stories. Many are lighthearted, but among them are dark and serious stories, such as Dead At Noon and the Daisy Kutter segment. And then there are the plain dumb comics ("The Zs and the Attack of the Early Bird", "Fish 'n' Chips", etc.) which cost this volume a...more
Rick
My first introduction to this extraordinary anthology series, the 15 stories in Flight Volume Six offer creators from around world employing a variety of genres: fantasy, science fiction, westerns, and slice-of-life ranging from serious to whimsical. Every beautiful story in this impressive book delights, but several stand out. Michel Gagné's charming story "The Saga of Rex: Soulmates" tells the silent tale of two cat-like creatures and their interplanetary love. In "The Excitingly Mundane Life...more
Steve
Not up to the same level of quality of previous outings in the anthology series, but still quite good. The best work here includes the stories containing characters that have spun off into their own series (Daisy Kutter, Jellaby) so it's a bit confusing why they continue to be included in the anthology. Perhaps they should be removed to make room for other stories? But at the same time, if these stories are among the best, replacing them might mean a decrease in quality in future outings. Also t...more
Craig
Another good entry in a really interesting series. Some humorous and thoughtful entries this time around, though I don't personally feel that this volume quite lives up to some of the others I've read.

Amelia
I love this series. I love the collection of different artists and stories. It's like a treasure box.
Monica
My students and I enjoyed looking through this volume. There's a lot of variation in art style and story telling, and I especially liked the stories that had limited or no text.
Ian
"The Excitingly Mundane life of Kenneth Shuri" and "Cooking Duel" fly off the page. Otherwise, lots of pretty whimsy, very little substance, and a vocal minority of duds.
Wayne
Flight volumes are always my favorite anthologies, every single year or so. The colors are so rich, vibrant and bright. In my book, that's a good thing. For the Eisners, the recommended story was" Kidnapped " Nice, beautiful wordless story. Very good. 4 stars. The other one that really stood out for me was "The Saga of Rex : Soulmates " It's also a wordless, beautiful story. 4 stars. All in all a nice volume not quite as good as the last one, but much better than any other currently offered regu...more
Iggy D.
Jun 29, 2010 Iggy D. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Graphic Novel and Short Story lovers
This volume of Flight is as gorgeous as all the others, but it's the first volume after Flight Explorer was created, so some of the regulars like Egyptian Cat and Space Dog have been moved to that collection and don't appear here . . . which makes me kinda sad. I really liked some of the more child-friendly stories (except Cat and Fish, I didn't like Cat and Fish at all), though I also enjoy the more mature material still contained here.
Dustine Rene
Only one comic really stood out to me:

"Walters" by Cory Godbey

There were other good ones but most I found blah. This is my least favotie volume among the ones I have.
J.E. Remy
Overall, this collection had some of the best stories I've read in this series. Unfortunately, it also had some of the worst (and one of the most sexist). I'd recommend picking it up, but don't hesitate to skip a story if it starts in such a way that it seems like it will disappoint. If it starts that way, it will likely end that way.
Louisa
A good collection of short comics with good art and polished stories across the board. My favourite from this collection were "the Excitingly Mundane Life of Kenneth Shuri" by JP Ahonen - funny and entertaining; "Daisy Kutter 'Phantoms'" by Kazu Kibuishi - cool noir/western feel; and "Walters" by Cory Godberg had beautiful art.
Chris
While volume five may have been the best in stories, this one has the best artwork to date. Some of these are nothing short of jaw-dropping. Very fast read compared to the others though, more wordless tales. However, their are some gems here, especially JP Ahonen's story, and Graham Annable's. Excellent stuff.
Tricia
Liked some stories, didn't like others. I now know that I don't care for ones without dialogue. Also, though I don't normally like short stories, apparently graphic novel short stories I can handle. Will probably read some more in this series.
Adam
This was my favorite volume yet, but I am frustrated by the fact that there are stories in here appropriate for middle grade, young adult, and others more suited to grown-ups. Hard to hand the book to a student when that is the case.
Matt
This volume seemed to capitalize on the wordless story more than earlier volumes, which was a refreshing departure. Also, several new stories (rather than serialized content) were added which balanced well with the few serialized stories.
Elizabeth
Really a 4.5 because the last three stories weren't as spectacular as the rest. I'm glad I stumbled upon this series. I will be reading 1-5. I loved the first 5 or 6 stories in this book, including Dead at Noon. Great anthology.
Emily
I really like this series of graphic novels - really a story collection however. Kazu Kibuishi has made a name for himself (at least with me!) through his art. I will seek out other editions in this series!
Damon
More longer stories in this volume, with no really strong standouts, though there's a Graham Annable and a Kazu Kibuishi. This is still one of the best-produced anthologies currently in print, though.
Laura5
Favorites:
The Excitingly Mundane Life of Kenneth Shuri, Dasiy Kutter "Phantoms", Cooking Duel, Dead Bunny and The Zs.

Always love the installments of The Saga of Rex and Jellaby
Tamsin Barlow
The art is very strong in this series but often the stories fall short of good. After reading fifteen stories in this anthology it's disappointing to only like a couple.
Matt Richter
my favourite in this volume was 'cooking duel' by bannister. but there's also great artwork from kazu kibuishi & cory godbey along with witty writing from JP Ahonen & Nikki Damon.
Rebecca Ann
Not my favorite of the set, but still visually stunning. I always love the saga of rex, but as for the others, I liked them all a bit but none of them a lot story-wise.
Christine
Hard to give an overall score to an anthology (sometimes)... I liked quite a few of the stories, but in general I liked the two older Flights I have better (vols 3,4).
Mykl
Continues to present great stories and a mix of quality in terms of art. Still liking Rex stories to start the books off and really enjoyed the unemployed ninja.
Ben
Another stellar collection of imaginative stories and fantastic art. The artists may change slightly with each new volume, but the quality never does.
  • Koko Be Good
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • Chickenhare (Chickenhare, #1)
  • Korgi Book 2: The Cosmic Collector (Bk. 2)
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 2
  • Creature Tech
  • Rice Boy
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • Zot!: The Complete Black-and-White Collection: 1987-1991
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 22: Tomoe's Story (Usagi Yojimbo #22)
  • Smut Peddler
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at...more
More about Kazu Kibuishi...
Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1) Amulet, Vol. 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2) Amulet, Vol. 3: The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3) Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council (Amulet, #4) Amulet, Vol. 5: Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)