Start by marking “Stuffed!” as Want to Read:
Stuffed!

Stuffed!

When Tim and his wife inherit his father's museum of curiosities and find there in a taxidermied African warrier ("The Savage" -- or so the museum's placard labels him), Tim's quiet suburban life starts spiraling out of control. In this dark comedy about family, race, and politics, Glenn Eichler and Nick Bertozzi explore what's buried under the surface of middle-class Amer ...more
Published September 4th 2009 by First Second (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Stuffed!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stuffed!

Nicky
Jun 16, 2011 Nicky rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011, graphic-novels
Glenn Eichler created Daria. She came from his brain. He currently writes for The Colbert Report, which is hilarious when I bother to watch it. The blurb on the front of this book is from Stephen Colbert himself. It says: "This book reminds me a little of myself - in that I love it." That blurb is the funniest, most interesting thing about this novel. Do not read any further. I won't even tell you what it's about because I'm not sure Glenn even knows. Maybe it's about grief (if so, it's poorly d ...more
Missie Kay
Mar 12, 2012 Missie Kay rated it it was amazing
I laughed out loud at least 12 times reading this book--and it's not very long. The writer is a Colbert Report writer, so if you like Colbert, The Daily Show, or anything of that uncomfortably-funny genre, you'll like this graphic novel. Also, it involves a stuffed-and-mounted African mummy. How many books can you say that about?
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
What would you do if you inherited a "stuffed" African warrior? This book looks at the sensitive issue of how to deal with questionable ethics from the past.
Sonic
Aug 26, 2010 Sonic rated it really liked it
Very funny book, and illustrated by one of my faves!
Ryan Werner
Jan 16, 2017 Ryan Werner rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Fun, almost Sunday-funnies kind of art and the narrative of two brothers reconnecting and navigating their own lives through the inheritance of their father's Museum of Strange Bullshit or whatever is great, and I wish I'd thought of it!

If there was more of that narrative and less haphazard threads of race and social structure--wonderful topics worth addressing when they feel like they appear wholeheartedly--I would have dug this a lot more. A decent time that just bites off a bit too much.
Dani Shuping
May 02, 2011 Dani Shuping rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Tim, a health-care administrator, gets a call one day that his father has had a setback and is in the hospital. Which surprises Tim, since he didn't know that his dad was sick. Dad quickly passes and Tim is left to care for the estate, such as it is, and find his missing half-brother Free. The estate mostly consists of the museum of the weird....of which the most notable pieces is "the Savage," a life sized African warrior. Tim wants to donate the statue, but is stunned when he finds out its a r ...more
Tony
Sep 07, 2010 Tony rated it liked it
The editors at First Second are pretty consistent at putting out interesting graphic stories, so I try and pick up whatever they publish, regardless of the content. Here, the story is a rather strange take on the theme of sons trying to come to terms with their difficult father. Tim is a middle-aged professional with a wife and kid, leading a regular middle-class life. When his estranged abusive father dies, Tim and his hippy-dippy nomadic brother inherit their father's museum of odd artifacts. ...more
Carrie Lawler
Oct 17, 2009 Carrie Lawler rated it it was amazing
Stuffed is a graphic novel that reeled me in by Stephen Colbert’s quote on the front cover. I figured if he liked it, there’s a good chance I would to, and I did. This makes perfect sense, because one of the authors of Stuffed is a writer for The Colbert Report. The book is quirky and witty, while touching on political, racial, and family issues.

The book centers on Tim Johnston, a white, middle-class guy who lives a typical life. Typical at least until his father dies, and he’s left with, among
Garrett Zecker
Feb 08, 2013 Garrett Zecker rated it it was ok
This graphic novel, an examination of modern disassociation of kitsch, race relations, and insurance, is an uncomplicated and bland sendoff to much bigger issues. The biggest problem with it is that there were just too many places that it wanted to go, not enough time to go there, and not enough examination of the issues to make it worthwhile. On one page, we have a curiosity museum, on the next is trepanation, on the next is the incomprehensible nature of the insurance industry, and then on the ...more
Nick
Jun 02, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic_novels
This graphic novel is like a sitcom with a randomly-generated bizarre-yet-typical plot. In this case, I would imagine marijuana played a key role in terms of plot creation. Quirky illustrations, some strange and funny additions (eg volcano-head), a likeable parody of a nuclear family living in contemporary times, a few avenues of interest explored, such as middle class Black intellectual life; overall it's nice, but nothing memorable beyond the key plot item. Like sitcoms, and like the night-tim ...more
Emilia P
Jun 05, 2010 Emilia P rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Two is a little harsh, but, well. Lot's of the time, it seems, I don't like First Second very much. I kept wanting this book to be better than it was. It was about brotherhood but of one's own family and the family of man. But uh.... yeah. And racism? And sense of responsibility? There was a stuffed African warrior at the heart of the tale that everyone was trying to deal with, and it was not brave enough to have some awful twist that say, maybe this was an American black man...Because it was an ...more
Raina
Feb 28, 2011 Raina rated it it was ok
A man's father dies and in the estate is a taxidermied human being. This touches on some interesting phenomena - racism, insurance sales, family relationships, bratty children, transcendant experimentation, African politics... A lot of interesting stuff, but it left me wanting more. None of these issues are really delved into to the extent that I wanted them to be. Honestly, the parts I enjoyed the most were the office politics portions, at the insurance company, and at the museum. The family re ...more
Karen M
Mar 29, 2011 Karen M rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was my first graphic novel but growing up I always had a stack of comic books so this seemed a more sophiscated version of a comic book.

The story is funny with bits of sober truth. Other reviewers have recounted the story so I will just add that the graphics were really well done and the story had a moral or maybe morals to it.

This graphic novel touchs on family, politics, prejudice and "out of the mouths of babes". I like it!

I won this book in a GoodReads Giveaway.
Wayne
Jan 12, 2010 Wayne rated it really liked it
I'm a little prejudiced because the artist Nick Bertozzi used to be my rep at DC Comics many years ago - great guy, but I would have liked this anyway. Great art and a really good story about a stuffed "Warrior " from Africa inherited by a couple of sons who have no idea what to do with it. Good characters and a story that kept me interested until the very end. Would be accessible to most age groups, something I think is important.
Dave-O
Nov 29, 2013 Dave-O rated it did not like it
A spiritless homage of sorts to "wacky" 1980's comedies that tried to moralize about complicated issues. Eichler tries to do that here with race relations via a taxidermied statue of an African man inherited by a suburban dullard and his -wait for it- kooky long lost brother. The dialogue is stinted, the characters stupifyingly inept. Even the drawings by illustrator Nick Bertozzi -whose work I usually love- seem as though he was just going through motions.
Damon
Jan 11, 2010 Damon rated it it was ok
This was kind of generic, both in storytelling and art style (though moreso the story). I usually really like Nick Bertozzi's stuff - even stuff like "The Salon," which didn't seem at all like something I'd enjoy, I thought was really great - but this just didn't do a thing for me. The story is trite and lifeless, and everything is so predictable - it's plotted like a Disney channel movie or something. Not terrible, but certainly not very interesting.
Hannah Givens
I don't understand why everybody's talking about this book being funny or not funny, except that the author wrote for Colbert. I don't see it as addressing humor at all, at least no more than your typical amount. It IS an interesting book about racism and family relationships, much more engaging than I expected. I just wish it had a more definitive ending, especially with all the creepy frames designed to make it look like the warrior would come to life and start killing people.
David Schwan
Apr 23, 2011 David Schwan rated it liked it
A black comedy (bad pun). The story is centered around a human body that was stuffed and placed on exhibition in a private curios museum. Two brothers fight over whether the body should be repatriated to Africa. At one point no one wants the body, but in the end all is settled. A well written story with nice graphics.
Wendy
2.5

Quirky. I love unconventional graphic novels, and this is up there. I have no idea if Stephen Colbert actually read this before he put his blurb on the cover, but he loved it apparently.

Had lots of things going on: forgiveness, pain, suffering, racism, peace and love. None of which were fully explored or resolved, in my opinion.

Kate
Dec 29, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Colbert blurb sold me....but it was not Colbert-esque in any way. I really liked how realistic it was - they got the modern racial relations thing down pat - lots of uncomfortable moments and everyone trying to reassure each other they are not racists...Great, crisp illustrations, almost Tintin-esque.
Molly
Nov 08, 2009 Molly rated it liked it
also read in Nov. 2009

Oh no; it's gotten to the point now where I can't remember some of the GNs I've read. This one felt vaguely familiar once I got to the information that the protagonist's brother had trepanned himself. I enjoyed this more in 2016 than 2009, apparently. The sad little oddities shop at the heart of the story appeals to me even more now than it used to.
Jim
Mar 21, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
maybe 6stars, such a fun read.

a quote from the book, w/no context "I am sorry to dissappoint you sir, but the state of New Jersey will no longer stop a car just because there's a black man in it." i was laughing outloud!
Norrin2
Dec 21, 2013 Norrin2 rated it really liked it
In just 124 pages this graphic novel manages to touch on race relations, parenthood, siblings, marriage, international diplomacy (and the lack of it ), forgiveness, and what it means to be human. Somehow it also manages to be pretty darn funny too.
Mark Schlatter
Jul 29, 2011 Mark Schlatter rated it liked it
Shelves: shreve
Liked it more than I expected (a fair number of good characterizations), but I prefer Nick Bertozzi's solo work.
Jul 02, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Slightly odd, pretty funny, very entertaining.
Molly
Nov 17, 2011 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was good. Hoped for more with a Stephen Colbert cover blurb, but it was still alright.
D351
Apr 05, 2011 D351 rated it really liked it
A brilliantly human story. BTW: got this one as a first read.
Joseph Young
Sep 28, 2012 Joseph Young rated it it was ok
It was alright. Didn't much like the ending, as I found it both too preachy as well as encouraging lowering yourself to other people's level.
Julie
Feb 26, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
What would happen if you turned Little Miss Sunshine into a graphic novel but instead of a dead grandpa, there were a dead African of unknown origin.
Matthew
Jul 03, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
meh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse
  • Solomon's Thieves, Book One
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • Ichiro
  • House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1
  • Green Manor I: Assassins and Gentlemen
  • Prime Baby
  • Princeless Short Stories Volume 1
  • Crogan's Vengeance (The Crogan Adventures #1)
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • Gladstone's School for World Conquerors
  • Sub-Mariner: The Depths
  • The Golem's Mighty Swing
  • Husbands
  • Broxo
  • Adventure Time: Bitter Sweets (Adventure Time OGN, #4)
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Fallen Words