Start by marking “A Song of Sixpence” as Want to Read:
A Song of Sixpence

A Song of Sixpence

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In the heat of late afternoon, a young boy waits at the station for his father. A plume of steam, white against the purple-heathered hills, marks the train. Beyond, blooming along the shoreline, the flowers of high summer, as a tall-funnelled paddle steamer beats and froths down the wide Clyde estuary . . .

A narrative in the great Cronin tradition, this is the stirring chr
Published June 11th 1996 by New English Library (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about A Song of Sixpence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Song of Sixpence

Sheri
This is the story of a teenage boy, Laurence Carroll. His father dies of tuberculosis or some type of lung disease that he has ignored for so long that his condition is beyond hope. Poor Laurence and his mother are left penniless. But a wonderful neighbor, Miss Greville takes them in as boarders in her home. She is quite a character. Lots of fun and teaches young Laurence alot about life, including how to play crickett very well. His life inproves dramaticly due to her.
But things don't always
Artemis Eclectica
Now this was a surprise, albeit it, pleasant. A ten penny purchase from a local hall, this book has been sitting on my shelf for a while. Being uninspired as to my next major read and wanting some bedtime reading, this was it. Well A.J. is a good writer and has a wonderful dry sense of humour. This is not a plot driven piece, like most modern fiction, just a beautifully written story of a man's life. At times I laughed out loud whilst sitting up in bed reading. An undemanding but pleasurable way ...more
Emily
It's many years since I've read an A.J. Cronin novel. I've missed him! Cronin draws from his own childhood. This is a coming-of-age story of a boy growing up poor in Scotland. Lawrence is appealingly gullible and believably selfish. The time he spends living with his miserly uncle is positively Dickensian! I look forward to reading the sequel, "Pocketful of Rye".
Lee
Probably excellent in its time, however even though it was written in 1964 the language is very old style and slow to read. I suppose in its day it might have been acceptable but is not a story one tends to remember or even learns from. Not recommended.
John
When i had read 50 terrible pages of this book i looked up the author in my records and i had read his THE GREEN YEARS in 2009 and wrote that i never wanted to read any more of his works. Well as i had started, i had to finish and am I glad i did. Ther several WONDERFUL characters and the narator was a youth. I do not usualy like such but it was almost as good a PIP IN GREAT EXPECTATIONS. A VERY PLEASANT AFTERNOON READ.
Terry Southard
This is that kind of old fashioned book that I just love every once in a while. The story of the narrator's young life, tragic in many ways, fascinating in others. Nothing much happens, but you enjoy it just the same. Not a plot driven story, it's more of a character study. Enjoyed it much, but wouldn't want a steady stream of this.
Ron
A re-read of a book and author I much enjoyed many, many years ago From Amazon: Laurence Carroll narrates the story of his life from his early childhood in the Scottish highlands to his graduation from medical school and the beginning of his practice of medicine.
Wyyknot
A song of sixpence by A. J. Cronin (1964)
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Sergio Garcia
Sergio Garcia marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Kristina Boshernitzan
Kristina Boshernitzan marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Dee Condon
Dee Condon marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Rose Marie
Rose Marie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Valeria Espinoza
Valeria Espinoza marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Hana
Hana marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Linda Pigden
Linda Pigden marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Sammy
Sammy added it
Feb 14, 2015
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
  • A Falcon for a Queen
  • Wandering Through Winter: A Naturalist's Record of a 20,000-Mile Journey Through the North American Winter
  • Be Confident (Hebrews): Live by Faith, Not by Sight
  • Rape of the Fair Country
  • China Cry: The Nora Lam Story
  • Or I'll Dress You in Mourning: The Story of El Cordobes and the New Spain He Stands For
  • The Private Eye
  • A Quiet Life
  • Love is Eternal
  • Undaunted: One Man's Real-Life Journey from Unspeakable Memories to Unbelievable Grace
  • Signal & Noise
  • Pimpernel And Rosemary
  • Fables and Fairytales
  • The Sweetness of a Simple Life: Tips for Healthier, Happier and Kinder Living Gleaned from the Wisdom and Science of Nature
  • Nothing Lasts Forever
  • The Moonflower
  • The Spring of the Tiger
  • The Messiah: A Novel
Archibald Joseph Cronin was a Scottish novelist, dramatist, and non-fiction writer who was one of the most renowned storytellers of the twentieth century. His best-known works are The Citadel and The Keys of the Kingdom, both of which were made into Oscar-nominated films. He also created the Dr. Finlay character, the hero of a series of stories that served as the basis for the long-running BBC tel ...more
More about A.J. Cronin...
The Citadel The Keys of the Kingdom Hatter's Castle The Green Years The Stars Look Down