FreakAngels, Volume 2 (FreakAngels, #2)

FreakAngels, Volume 2 (FreakAngels #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,230 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Twenty-three years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same moment. Six years ago, the world ended. Today, eleven strange 23-year-olds live in and defend Whitechapel, maybe the last real settlement in flooded London. Having recently discovered that an exiled twelfth psychic has returned to brainwash murderous sleeper agents in Whitechapel, the...more
Published May 27th 2009 by Avatar Press (first published March 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about FreakAngels, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FreakAngels, Volume 2

xkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil FoglioWorm by wildbow
Best of the Web
40th out of 161 books — 156 voters
Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil FoglioLackadaisy by Tracy J. Butlerxkcd by Randall Munroe
Webcomics
129th out of 176 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Brandon
So, now that we've established all that origin stuff in the first volume (aside from what the FreakAngels actually did to destroy the world), we get a volume packed with all kinds of action and developments.

As the FreakAngels identify their potential through teleportation powers, they begin to focus on fortification and the expansion of Whitechapel. The discovery of a settlement filled with homeless, sick and suffering citizens leads the FreakAngels to make an important decision. Given that the...more
Sesana
There's a bit more going on in this volume of FreakAngels than in the previous, expositiony volume. This doesn't affect my enjoyment of it, much. I really liked the first volume for the setting, the characters, and dialog, and also for the beautiful, haunting panels of a flooded London. All back, plus a few plot developments that signal a change that will mean more for the characters than for the readers, who are probably mostly trying to get their bearings still.

Read online.
Sam Quixote
The Freakangels world continues to grow with this second volume. As the new girl settles in, a mortar attack signals the beginning of a traitor in the midst of Whitechapel and the Freakangels retaliate by heading to the dissident territory of Shoreditch. The infrastructure of Whitechapel is debated as the Freakangels' protectorate grows and they begin to realise their responsibilities lie further afield.

The characters of the Freakangels are what I love best about this series. Warren Ellis imbues...more
Christian Lipski
Good stuff. A little less exciting than V1, but this volume was all about management of the settlement and the new girl, so that can be excused.
Tanabrus
Questo secondo volume, francamente, mi ha preso meno del primo.
Non c’è grande azione, non ci sono chissà quali rivelazioni, non ci sono colpi di scena particolari.

Ellis ci porta a conoscere un poco meglio gli undici ragazzi che hanno distrutto il mondo e che ora cercano di salvare Whitechapel.
Scopriamo qualcosa di più sui loro poteri e sulle loro personalità, conoscendo anche chi ancora non si era visto.
Intravediamo uno scorcio di passato, quando nel nostro mondo i ragazzi erano dodici e si inco...more
Marie Graßhoff
Hat mir wieder sehr gut gefallen. Inzwischen kennt man alle Freakangels und - ja, irgendwie mag ich sie alle. Jeder hat seine Aufgabe und seine Bestimmung und jeder seine Macken und Eigenarten. Auch die verschiedenen Beziehungen zwischen ihnen sind total interessant zu verfolgen und inzwischen bekommt auch die Geschichte eine eindeutige Richtung: Sesshaft werden, das wollen sie. Das müssen sie wahrscheinlich und ich bin unheimlich interessiert daran ob und wie sie es schaffen werden.
Außerdem int...more
terka
Arkady feels a little too much like Delirium from Sandman. Fishy.
Leslie (Working for the Mandroid)
So apparently I finished reading this volume awhile ago, since I'm reading the free online version. I really enjoy the characterization of the FA and, even though I sometimes forget who is which where, the specific mannerisms and speech patterns of each character are unique enough that I can tell them apart without specific names.

Since I don't know where volume 3 officially began and volume 2 ended, I'll just say that the story is very intriguing and the art is gorgeous. It's a lovely treat the...more
scarlettraces
didn't like this quite so much as the first vol, but that's often the way when a setting or idea is very shiny. plus a lot of this takes place at night, which kind of has the effect of Dogville, high-concept but visually unengaging. but the characters and story are great (surprising optimistic in this vol, i'm assuming so the plunge will be even greater) and i shall be putting the next vol at the top of my library list.
Travis
Now that we've met our cast, sub-plots start to be set up and the Freakangels realize they need to decide what they are going to do with not just their lives, but the scattered remnants of humanity.

Fun series, hard to juggle a big cast where everyone tends to look alike and all speak in witty sarcastic chunks, but some really great ideas here and Warren seems to have a big story in mind.
Angelina Justice
In the second installment of this series we begin to learn a little more about the characters and the challenges the FreakAngels and the other survivors face take center stage.

Questions of right and wrong battle against questions of best strategies for survival. This installment captures what so many of us miss in everyday life, perspective is everything.
KV Taylor
It's weird that the book where stuff actually HAPPENS is getting the same rating as the one where it was all intro, but I think that speaks to Ellis's ability with character more than anything else. Continued awesome. They have it.
míol mór
"The Victorians used to grow pineapples through their bloody awful winters through the awesome technology of glass and horse shit." (KK, ep. 46 p. 6)
How steampunk is that?

I fucking LOVE this series.
Kristen
I think this volume is leading up to something bigger in the next as I found it a little uneventful. I did like how I got to see more about the Freakangels and learn more about them and what they can do.

No Books

How steampunk is that?

I LOVE this series.
Nilchance
I really love these characters, and that it's a post-apoc that thinks about infrastructure and birth rates. It geeks me out.
Devowasright
this is a free, weekly webcomic ellis and paul duffield are doing. it is -excellent-. and free. did i mention free?

go read it. now.

because i said so, that's why.

www.freakangels.com
Charlene Boyce
Looking forward to reading Vol. 3. Nothing earth-shattering, but an interesting reflection on the mutant / evolution idea, and nicely based in a very familiar colloquial vernacular.
Matt
Ellis's second volume provides more shape to the full series, and he ends up making this series one of his more humanist works. It's a refreshing change. Duffield's art is gorgeous, too.
Miriam
Continuing the saga of the psychic pseudo-siblings' efforts to create a viable community in post-apocalyptic Whitechapel.

Kinda "Alan Moore does DWJ's Archer's Goon".
AGraphicMaduck
really enjoy this series, the art and the writing are awesome, has just enough action to always keep you on edge but not necessairly just about battles, etc.
Shanna
Turns out I made it through the first book without realizing it and have breezed through a few episodes in the second. I hold high hopes for this one.
Reenie
Sweet, it's even better when the action gets going... also, there is not one of these characters that I don't love. Even Luke - poor silly 4REAL Luke.
Adam
Ballard's Drowned World, Village of the Damned, and a Miyazaki film all in one lovable post-apocalyptic bundle. Available online in its entirety(ongoing)
Syzygous Zygote
I really liked the first volume, but this one was pretty slow. I can tell he's building up to something, but he's nowhere near there yet.
Barry
Loved the concept, characters, and artwork. Great stuff, only sad the series didn't go longer and take a few more side trips.
Jim
I think, even better than first volume. WOnder when there will be some backstory. Interesting group of characters.
Ben Lainhart
Things are picking up. The group encounters something that alters their attitudes and moves the story along.
Jutta
getting more interesting... but now there aren't anymore at work so i don't know what happens next....
Brad
Jan 23, 2010 Brad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Definitely an improvement on the first volume, because there's more momentum and clarity in the plot.
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • The Boys, Volume 6: The Self-Preservation Society
  • Rice Boy
  • Dreamless
  • Northlanders, Vol. 5: Metal and Other Stories
  • Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)
  • Casanova, Vol. 1: Luxuria
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories