Start by marking “Face Time” as Want to Read:
Face Time

Face Time (Charlotte McNally #2)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  258 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Veteran TV reporter Charlotte McNally fights for justice, journalism—and the battle against on-air aging. The good news: she's got explosive evidence to free an innocent woman from prison. The bad news: that makes Charlotte—and someone she loves—the real killer's next target.

Charlotte knows she has what it takes to get the story. Unfortunately, the more Charlotte snoops ar
Published July 21st 2009 by Mira (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Face Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face Time

Sue
May 07, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2 in the Charlotte McNally series and I am enjoyed this book as much as the first. Can't wait for books 3 and 4 later this year.

Charlie is a TV investigative reporter on the wrong side of 40 in an industry where looking youthful matters a lot. Even though she has won Emmy awards for her stories, she is always questioning herself and her abilities even while she is always searching for the next big story. In this story, she is contacted by a local group to help prove that Dorinda Kee
Jay
May 29, 2016 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reprinting of the 2nd Charlie McNally book from author Hank Phillippi Ryan finds our heroine on the trail of a possibly innocent women convicted of murder.

The fact the woman confessed to the crime of killing her husband is a huge hump to get over at any time, but when the man responsible for convicting her announces a run for governor as a law and order candidate, the stakes are even higher.

As evidence mounts that seemingly points to the woman's innocence, McNally finds herself in more and m
Barbara
Apr 25, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Face Time is book two in Hank Phillippi Ryan's Charlotte McNally mystery series. In the middle of a contentious election year, Charlie gets tangles up in a story about a woman who has possible been "wrongly" convicted of murder. The story moves through her investigation and discovery of the important details of the case. The thing that sets this story apart from other reporter/crime/mystery books is Charlotte, herself.

Charlotte is not just a reporter; she is a "real" person. She has to juggle a
Amy
A young woman sits in a jail cell at Framingham-MCI [the oldest women’s prison in the U.S.—these books aren’t just engaging but very educational] in Massachusetts convicted of killing her husband. Investigative reporter Charlotte “Charlie” McNally gets a tip that the Constitutional Justice Project [CJP] believes Dorinda Keeler Sweeney may be innocent and wants Charlotte to help on the case. This will mean huge ratings for Channel 3 and maybe another Emmy for the hard-working reporter. FACE TIME ...more
John DeDakis
Jun 26, 2012 John DeDakis rated it really liked it
I knew Hank Phillippi Ryan before I knew her writing. Now I like both. Not only is Hank a journalist's journalist (multi-Emmy-Award winning investigative reporter at Boston's NBC affiliate) but Hank, in my opinion, is also a novelist's novelist. I met her this year at Sleuthfest, the mystery writers' conference in Orlando, then became reacquainted with her a couple months later at the Pennwriters' Conference in Lancaster, PA where we were both speakers -- but she was the keynoter.

I'm a painfull
Kathleen Hagen
Face Time, by Hank Phillippi Ryan, B-plus, Narrated by Margaret Baly, Produced by audible inc. and Harlequin Enterprises, downloaded from audible.com.

This is the second book in the Charlie McMally series. Charlie, a veteran reporter in her 40’s is again facing the annual challenge of finding a story which will help her keep her record of winning emmys each year. Also, she is facing the insecurity of wanting to keep her place as an investigative reporter in the comparatively young news culture. I
Marlyn
Nov 05, 2009 Marlyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
In Face Time, Charlie and her producer Franklin have to deal with hot-shot new news director Susannah Smith-Bagley, who is pushing them to get a scoop for sweeps month. She's a little distracted because her mother is in hospital, her best friend just found out she's pregnant, and her boyfriend wants her to vacation with him and his 9-year-old daughter, but she's sure she can handle all that AND look into the story of a woman who may have been wrongly imprisoned for the murder of her husband 3 ye ...more
Nicole
Sep 13, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Face Time finds Charlie back to work after the excitement of Prime Time. Her relationship with Josh is progressing, though she does have to deal with his petulant eight year old daughter who isn't thrilled her dad has a new woman in his life. As for work, a new consultant (an evil that invades all newsrooms) has been brought in to increase the ratings. She's declared that July is the new November. The consultant is insane, but then again they usually are. So although Charlie planned to spend tim ...more
Jill Dunlop
Jun 10, 2010 Jill Dunlop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Face Time is book two in Hank Phillippi Ryan's Charlie McNally mystery series. Charley McNally is an investigative reporter for a Boston news station. She won numerous Emmy's for her abilities to uncover a story. This time Charley and her producer Franklin have been asked to investigate the likelihood that just maybe the infamous Dorinda Sweeney didn't kill her husband, even though she confessed to the murder. Meanwhile in Charlie's personal life, her mother is getting remarried. But before she ...more
Lynn
Jul 16, 2011 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We met Charlie in Hank Phillippi Ryan's "Prime Time" and we continue with the series in "Face Time". We are learning more of the back story of investigative journalist Charlie McNally and we get wonderful peeks into a very full life.

The book opens up in a hospital where Charlie is visiting her mother after the mother's cosmetic surgery. In this book Charlie is juggling familial obligations, new relationship quandries and her usual work load. In this book, the work load is a woman wrongly accused
Kelly Moran
Aug 24, 2009 Kelly Moran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
Author Hank Phillippi Ryan is an award-winning investigative reporter at Boston’s NBC affiliate. She has twenty-six Emmy’s and ten Edward R. Murrow Awards, along with dozens of other national and international journalism honors. Her work has resulted in new laws, homes removed from foreclosure, criminals sent to prison, and millions of dollars in restitution. Before her reporting career, she was a proofreader, a radio reporter, an Editorial Assistant at Rolling Stone, and a legislative aide in t ...more
Ed
#2 in the Charlotte "Charlie" McNally series. "Charlie" appears to be author Ryan's alter-ego, a prize-winning Boston-based investigative reporter. I like "Charlie", her scenes with her boyfriend aren't too mushy and the boyfriends pre-teen daughter escapes her possible demonic role. Charlie's best friend is a newly pregnant, newly promoted sports reporter from whom Ryan could have taken some tips.
When she meets the AG's investigator at the archives on Wednesday at 10AM, the date is nominally 7/
Beth
Nov 30, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the Charlotte McNally series. In this book TV investigative reporter McNally is working on a story to free an innocent woman in jail for murdering her husband. The case may involve wrongdoing on the part of the state attorney general who is running for governor. While helping her mother recover from surgery and meeting and getting to know her new boyfriend's daughter, Charlie works the case. Another enjoyable and quick-reading book in the series.
Mark Baker
Mar 03, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2007
TV investigative reporter Charlotte "Charlie" McNally has been given the scoop of a lifetime - a woman in prison for murder is innocent, even though she confessed. But can Charlie prove it without the woman's help? The pacing was uneven, but I loved spending more time around these characters.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Kimberly Martin
May 15, 2016 Kimberly Martin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't fast paced as the reviews stated I didn't like any if the characters especially the main character Charlie the 48 hours type reporter and on the trail of the real killer after a confession from the widow who has been in prison and now says she didn't do it? Someone else was in the room who was it and why ?

Who cares!

This was boring and just wanted to get to the end.
Karen J
Mar 01, 2014 Karen J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading the fast paced novel, Face Time. This is the second book in the Charlie McMally series. Charlie is a veteran tv news reporter in her 40’s. Ms. Ryan includes interesting details in each scene. She invites the reader into the main character's personal life as well as behind the scenes of a television news station. I also enjoy the sub-plots that involve relationships. The plot leads from idea to idea in a realistic way following a train of thought and reasoning.
I recommend
Katherine Clark
The most exciting thing about this book is that I read it as an ebook from my library. How cool is that? OK. I was excited to read this book. Ryan is the new president of SinC; the book won many awards; people love it. I found it OK. The mystery wasn't that compelling--it seemed very Matlock TV, cartoonish. I like the protagonist; she occassionally surprised me, but mostly she didn't. There were characters from work that we weren't supposed to like and for the life of me, most of them, I didn't ...more
Eileen
May 26, 2016 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-to-buy
I love how Charlie works on both her professional life and her personal life, but especially how things she discovers in her journalism investigations helps her with the events in her personal life, and vice versa. Charlie seems like any real woman trying to balance the challenges and good changes happening in her life, and even though she faces lots of difficulties, she ultimately succeeds in satisfying ways. VERY well written.
Judy
Jun 15, 2016 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I was disappointed - I really enjoyed Hank Philippi Ryan's Jane Ryland series, but this one (about a woman TV reporter, which is interesting) didn't hold my interest.
Shirley Alvarez
Apr 12, 2016 Shirley Alvarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FACE TIME

What a great book! Another one you can't put down! Such an intense story and great love with mysteries. A true thriller.
Homerun2
Nov 17, 2014 Homerun2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid #2 in the series. Well plotted with a few surprises, and packed with action, romance and great insights into the world of tv news.
Gina
Jul 03, 2010 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Investigative reporter, Charlotte, “Charlie”, McNally gets a lead from CPJ that Dorinda Sweeney, confessed murderer of her abusive husband, may, in fact, be innocent. A video showing her at work the night she supposedly killed her spouse has surfaced. Investigating the case puts Charlie and crew in the path of the ambitious Attorney General, Oscar Ortiz who has just declared his candidacy for governor. How far will he go to make sure any misdealings by his office don’t come to light to undo his ...more
Lanelibrarylady
Finished yesterday...very "cute". A little predictable for most of the book, with a little of a twist at the end. Kept me interested though. I would read the sequels (especially since they are FREE!)

Just started this book...Hank came to our Public Library tonite and was a great speaker. I actually won the first 3 books of this series (Prime Time, Face Time, and Air Time). I may hold off continuing Face Time and read them in order. It's a murder/mystery series with an investigative reporter as a
Aug 17, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad I found this series. Love the over-40 main character, Charlie.
Anna Be
Nov 01, 2015 Anna Be rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!
Jill
May 18, 2009 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun! If you're looking for a light mystery this book is great. Prime Time is the first book by the author. Hank Phillippi Ryan. I would suggest reading that one first to get to know the characters. Perfect to bring to the beach!
Shannon
Jan 03, 2010 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I'm a member of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers and Kristen Nelson is a big supporter and she's Hank Phillippi Ryan's agent and I've heard about her success for a long time, I decided I needed to try her out. I liked this book a lot and read it quickly. I would love to read the rest in this series. Plus, the Jungle Red blog, in which Ryan participates, is a great site.
Dennis Fischman
A thoroughly enjoyable mystery set in Boston. I would have given it four stars except that some parts of the plot were predictable and some of the characters were not well-developed. The love interest, in particular, seems too good to be true. The relationship between his daughter and Charlie McNally, on the other hand, is just right and lovely.
Terri
Feb 11, 2013 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh! The first book in the Charlie McNally series was so good, and "The Other Woman" by the same author was a book I could not put down!! It took me almost a month to read 280 paperback pages!!! Some parts were good, but the ending was so far fetched.... I know there are two more in the series but I am not sure I can stomach them! Very disappointed!
Jeanne
May 21, 2016 Jeanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading Prime Time, the first installment in the Charlotte McNally series and Ms Ryan's first novel, I have to say I was a bit disappointed in Face Time. The plot seemed to drag on forever, with dead end after dead end. Even the surprising ending was not enough to pull this up in the ratings. Just OK for me--4 out of 10.
  • All the Wrong Moves (Samantha Spade #1)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (Talk Radio Mystery #3)
  • Short Squeeze
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #2)
  • A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #2)
HANK PHILLIPPI RYAN is the investigative reporter for Boston's NBC affiliate. A television journalist since 1975, she has won 33 Emmys and thirteen Edward R. Murrow awards for her work. Her work has resulted in new laws, people sent to prison, homes removed from foreclosure, and millions of dollars in restitution.

A best-selling author of seven bestselling novels of suspense, Hank's first Jane Ryla
More about Hank Phillippi Ryan...

Charlotte McNally (4 books)
  • Prime Time
  • Air Time (Charlotte McNally, #3)
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)