Start by marking “White Heat” as Want to Read:
White Heat

White Heat

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Once in a blue moon a book is published that irrevocably changes the face of things. White Heat is one such book. Since it was originally produced in 1990, it has gone on to become one of the most enduring classic cook books of our time. With its unique blend of outspoken opinion, recipes, and dramatic photographs, White Heat captures the magic and spirit of Marco Pierre W ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Mitchell Beazley (first published January 1991)

To ask other readers questions about White Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Heat

Sara
Jun 16, 2010 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks, fans of photography, fans of marco pierre white, food critics
firstly, i have to comment on how amazing and enigmatic marco pierre white is. very complex, brooding, and simultaneously it's all very simple because he never seems to hold anything back.

i found, almost amusingly, that the layout of this book was almost as pretty as the layout of the different dishes he makes. it's unique for sure, although i don't know if i'm exactly stuck on two full pages for 4-5 words. the photographs in the book are incredible. very crisp and clear for anything concerning
Wm
Only worth reading for the photographs. Really. The attitude and pseudo-biography at the front you can get (and better) from some of the feature newspaper or magazine articles. The recipes are, well, mainly for show. I suppose someone might conceivably making something from this book, but even if you do are you going to be able to have access to the techniques and quality of ingredients that make the dishes what they are? Probably not. Oh, and the comments about each recipe while interesting ten ...more
Marinus Hoogendoorn
This book was given to me by one of my apprentices when he left the job, I have followed MPW ever since, a brilliant chef, lots of emotions and he works from the heart.

Good food is your heart and soul on a plate.

Great personality, I believe this was his first book, a classic in the modern chef era, a must have for inspiring chefs
Mike
What a nut,and I mean that in the best way.Some of England's best chefs like Gordon Ramsay trained under him.Great opinions,recipes and pics.He dropped out of cooking years ago,but there's always a rumour of a return.
Quote of the century when he turned in his Michelin stars(he was the youngest chef to ever get a star,much less three) "I don't need people who know less about food than me judging me"
Update,he opened a few places,more low key.
Favorite quote from this book,about burning your fingers
Simone
Incredibly well written!
Matt
The first (and best) cookbook by the Master. The first "fancy" cookbook I ever owned. Aside from being a great cookbook, it's got some beautiful photography, especially the shots of kitchen activity, and the writing gives you a wonderful insight into what drives a chef to be the detail-oriented, fully obsessed madman that you have to be to create great food.
Don't kid yourself, Bourdain is cool, but Marco was the original kitchen "bad boy".
Leizel Mackander
Genius! And to think this was written when MP Dub was in his twenties? Wise, talented beyond his years and constantly striving for perfection, White Heat certainly encapsulates the essence of Marco Pierre White - true madness.
Warot Rodolph
Amazing without any doubt whatsoever
The lobster and Leeks terrine has always completely blow me away!
Michael
It's a classic. You kind of have to read it. But it turns out it's actually good.
Sues57 Schroeder
Entertaining, but nothing very surprising. There are some good anecdotes.
Barbara
Fantastic look at the foodie world from an insider's point of view!
Will
Entertaining description of some amazing recipes.
David
What can I say, I have a Chef crush on the guy.
Philomena
Amazing man, amazing life.
Theresa
reading about who MPW is was hugely entertaining but watching him cook in his White Heat days is awe-inspiring. it's like watching a Monet painting materialize brushstroke by brushstroke before your eyes.
Michele Media
Michele Media marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Sam Drury
Sam Drury marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Petr
Petr marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Jonathan Toye
Jonathan Toye marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Alissa Troxell
Alissa Troxell marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Becky Gelber
Becky Gelber marked it as to-read
Scott Jenkins
Scott Jenkins marked it as to-read
MaCashen Nyberg
MaCashen Nyberg marked it as to-read
Carmen Marcon
Carmen Marcon marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
  • Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide
  • The Kitchen and the Cook
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • The Escoffier Cookbook: and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures
  • Thai Food
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • Alinea
  • Turquoise: A Chef's Travels in Turkey
  • Made in Italy: Food and Stories
The Devil in the Kitchen: Sex, Pain, Madness and the Making of a Great Chef Marco Pierre White's Great British Feast: Over 100 Great British Recipes from a Great British Chef. with Alex Antonioni Wild Food From Land And Sea Marco Made Easy: A Three Star Chef Makes It Simple (Uk Import Edition) White Hot Cooking