Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Baby?

Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Baby? (Cornelius P. Mud)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  18 reviews
There’s a new baby in the house. Is Cornelius P. Mud ready? Not really! The baby may be getting all the attention, but he isn’t very much fun. He can’t talk. He can’t eat. He can’t play. Can they send him back? Does Mom love the baby best? Of course, fans of Cornelius know that even the arrival of a sibling won’t get this resourceful little piggy down for long. When he tro...more
Published March 10th 2009 by Candlewick Press

Zach
While a younger sibling may create a sense competition for older children, this book assures children that parents love all of their children the same. While a younger sibling may not be able to do very much stuff when they are a baby, they can still be a younger brother or sister and it is the older siblings fun job to get to teach the younger child how to do all the things they like to do; in time, of course. Very simple text.
Tricia
Priceless illustrations and simple text make this a natural selection for younger kids who have been/will be joined by a new baby in the family. Feelings of frustration over how babies have such limited ability to interact will resound with kids.
Dolly
Oct 23, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This is a fun story for young children who are being introduced to a new baby in the house. Cornelius asks a lot of questions and I think that many toddlers and younger children in the same situation will understand how he feels. The narrative is very short and the pictures are bright and colorful. We enjoyed reading this story together, even though our girls are getting to the age where this kind of book is considered too "babyish" for them.
Liza Gilbert
A good, cheerful introduction to being a big brother. Cornelius discovers all the things his brother can't do, wants to know if he can send him back, and finally realizes that he can be the baby's big brother. This book is an interesting approach to being the only sibling: the book contains all male characters. Instead of the mother telling Cornelius to be more caring, the father talks with his son while changing and caring for the newborn.
Kirsten Swanson
The end message was good. There's something about the illustrations of these books that I don't care for. This book also includes two questions that I wish we wouldn't suggest to children: "can we take the baby back?" and "do you love him more than you love me?"
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This a good picture book for young children who have a new baby in the house. The pictures are bright and simple and young children will relate well to the main character as he accepts having a new baby brother.
Amy Brown
Cornelius P. Mud isn't quite sure about the new baby. He can't do anything that Cornelius can do but in the end Cornelius finds one thing important the baby can do...be his brother.
Taylor Johnson
Cornelius P. Mud is a very funny and likable character in this great book. I loved the illustrations and the things that this funny little pig said. Predictable and fun to read.
Molly
This is a great book for a kid about to have a new Sibling. This is simple but does not sugar coat. It shows that baby won't be able to do much at first but then..... Ages 2+
Nancy J.

New baby on the way? Good for an older sibling to learn that the baby will not be doing much "playing" right out of the chute, so to speak!
Melissa
Currently my 2-year-old son's favorite book. Funny and blunt, w/charming illustrations. I hope it helps my son w/the transition to big brotherhood.
The Library Lady
Predictable, but right on track for the kids who will read it, and with a sweetness that is never saccharine.
Edna
Very sweet book and perfect for a young sibling whose expecting a new baby in the family.
Erin
Another nice and fairly pedestrian book in the baby sibling on the way genre.
Ashley Clark
Good book for kids who are getting ready to be a big sister/brother.
Valerie
So cute, accessible way for small children to learn about siblings.
Amanda
Mar 28, 2010 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amanda by: BookPage
Shelves: kid-s-books
Nice book. Short and sweet.
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Kim T.
Kim T. marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Barney Saltzberg
Mar 05, 2014 Barney Saltzberg rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 next »
Barney Saltzberg is the author and illustrator of close to 50 books for children, including Beautiful Oops!, Arlo Needs Glasses, Good Egg, Cornelius P. Mud , Crazy Hair Day and the bestselling Touch and Feel Kisses series with over 800,000 copies in print. He has two new releases, Tea With Grandpa and Chengdu Could Not Would Not Fall Asleep coming this spring.
Additionally, he’s recorded four CDs...more
More about Barney Saltzberg...
Beautiful Oops! Andrew Drew and Drew Crazy Hair Day Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed? Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep