Start by marking “The Cell: Inside the 9/11 Plot & Why the FBI & CIA Failed to Stop It” as Want to Read:
The Cell: Inside the 9/11 Plot & Why the FBI & CIA Failed to Stop It

The Cell: Inside the 9/11 Plot & Why the FBI & CIA Failed to Stop It

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In The Cell, John Miller, an award-winning journalist and coanchor of ABC's 20/20, along with veteran reporter Michael Stone and Chris Mitchell, takes readers back more than 10 years to the birth of the terrorist cell that later metastasized into al Qaeda's New York operation. This remarkable book offers a firsthand account of what it is to be a police officer, an FBI agen ...more
Published May 14th 2003 by Hachette Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Cell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cell

Jens
Read this for a class called "Terrorist Cells" Wow. Miller's writing is captivating to say the least. He manages to turn this messy story with many characters and motives into something coherent that reads like a hard-boiled detective novel. The passage, "Norris felt that Nosair was involved in something much larger, something that would come back to haunt law enforcement - hell, even the whole city. And Eddie Norris didn't know the half of it." sounds like the opening line from the trailer of t ...more
Jenny.p
A gripping account of the evolution of the counter intelligence agencies and people who have been in pursuit of al Qaeda since the early 1990s. Miller takes on the responsibility of answering the most basic yet complicated questions to come of the 9/11 attacks: "how could we have let this happen?" As one of the only Western journalists who has first hand experience with bin Ladin having met and interviewed him in 1998, Miller is the perfect person to write this story. His writing style is comple ...more
Mike
The Cell was the first 9/11 book i have read. The catastrophe of 9/11 is mired with so many conspiracy theories that i have been turned off of researching this subject. This book was incredible. Not in the wow sense but in the I just don't believe a lot of what the authors have written. There are many implied scenarios when facts were light or nonexistent. The book read as if it were a funding campaign to increase the national security budget, although it may have been the case.
Annie
Amazing book. The author clearly showed both the dogged determination to track down terrorists, to act on information obtained and the bureaucratic nightmare that allowed turf battles, power struggles, political correctness and disinterest to prevail. September 11, 2001 could have been prevented. It happened because of an inability for agencies like the CIA, FBI, and NSA to work together and respond to the many, many red flags that popped up all over. When the Patriot Act was signed into law, I ...more
Erik Graff
Apr 24, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
Three-four years after the event I start reading the books appearing about 9-11. Meanwhile, at work, our IT director, not a political guy, tells me about the film Loose Change and I pick up that and the 9-11 Commission Report. Watch the first, read part (yawn) of the second (it's mostly about preventative measures). Cognitive dissonance, big time. Watch a few other documentaries, read a few more books. Big gaps, unanswered questions, much suspicion.

This is a relatively early, mainline approach t
Eric Dalton
Saw it listed on the credits of the TV movie Path to 9/11. The movie and book were both great.
Barbara Garren
I read this book as research/background for a novel I want to write. I have to say, it was riveting. Even with all the notes and annotations I made, I couldn't put it down and finished it in days.

Horrifying because of the reality of it, it's so well written you forget it's non-fiction. It's almost mind-bending, the amount of coincidence involved. I lived in New York during the first WTC Bombings - so parts of this were so hard to read, but I'm glad I did.

This is non-fiction writing at it's fin
John
Slow read but a good one. Covers a lot of ground - worth the effort
Stefanie
A good primer on the history
Lincoln
Very well done book. The detail is amazing and the whole thing extremely sad, and frustrating. There are a lot of true heroes that are working their butts off every day trying to bust these bad guys and I think this book does a good job of honoring their hard work even though they couldn't prevent the big attack. It also does a good job at bringing to light the absolute evil of these terrorists. At the tenth anniversary of the attacks, I thought it an appropriate read.
Lee
The book was written by John Miller the last Western journalist to interview Osama Bin Laden. In this book he outlines the rise of radical Islam from the assassination of Meir Kahane to the first World Trade Center Bombing, the war against the Russians in Afghanistan, the bombings in Saudi Arabia, the bombings of the US embassies in Africa and the Cole and the 9/11 plot. A nicely laid out history of the war of radical Islam and Al Queda against the West.
Brian Bova
Good reading. This book shows how much our government knew prior to 9/11 and did nothing about it. The higher ups "looked away" when they were given authentic information concerning pre-9/11 terrorist activities throughout the world including many US States. Makes you wonder what the government is really concerned about throughout the world.
Matt McNabb
I remember John Miller as a journalist when I was growing up in northern New Jersey. His yeoman-like effort on this book is outstanding. The subject matter is uncomfortable at times, and I felt angry more than once. Even the answers don't supply all the answers, so don't expect that. But expect a terrific history and timeline leading up to 9/11.
James Piper
I was surprised at how interesting I found it. There was so much the FBI and NYPD knew about jihadists living in and around NYC prior to Sept. 11th. There are ironic moments like how they caught the bombers involved in the 93 bombing.

Lots of muslim or arabic names which can be disorientating when you're not used to it.

Tim
Interesting. Even though we had the information on the 911 terrorists we were unable to use the information to stop the attacks from happening. Hopefully we have learned something and it won't happen again.
Megan Jones
Insightful and gripping. This book details the history of Al Qaeda and the impact on the US. Very engaging and vivid, with insight into the personalities and challenges they faced. Great!
Paul
Heavy on facts, but light on analysis. The 9/11 report gives more insight. It shows again how big government doesn't work. People have to provide intellegence, not machines and beaurocrats
Joe Albanese
Read this for my college class on terrorism. Very good introduction to the events leading up to the 9/11 attacks. Much easier to read than the 9/11 commission report.
Jessica
Interesting background on events leading up to 9/11. Slow reading with lots of details, but good to help understand what happened and those behind it.
Angrywhiteboyclothing
FASCINATING READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FBI and CIA are ALL F*CK UPS!!!!!!! 9/11 was an INSIDE JOB! OPEN UR POLITICALLY CORECT MINDS U SHEEPLE!!!!!!!!!!
Sheryl Fredricks
Educational. SAD!!! I hate that this happened especially with the warnings that we had...
Jose
excellent audio book, but it's abridged version..great for a quick trip to sd. yvonne dug it.
Stephen
Ended in a predictable....we should have stopped Bin Laden.
Brian
Good account of how the FBI and CIA blew it.
Michael
not too bad, not a lot of new information though.
Bruce Flanagan
Fascinating look at 9/11
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Vicky Harris
Vicky Harris marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
  • The Age of Sacred Terror: Radical Islam's War Against America
  • Holy War, Inc.: Inside the Secret World of Osama bin Laden
  • State of War: The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush Administration
  • Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Torture Program
  • First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan
  • A Time to Betray: The Astonishing Double Life of a CIA Agent Inside the Revolutionary Guards of Iran
  • Among the Heroes
  • Longitudes and Attitudes: The World in the Age of Terrorism
  • The Hunt for Bin Laden
  • Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)
  • The Hunt for KSM: Inside the Pursuit and Takedown of the Real 9/11 Mastermind, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed
  • Heart of a Soldier
  • Debunking 9/11 myths
  • Inside the Jihad: My Life with Al Qaeda
  • Through Our Enemies' Eyes: Osama bin Laden, Radical Islam, and the Future of America
  • A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror (American Empire Project)
  • Psychic Warrior: The True Story of America's Foremost Psychic Spy and the Cover-Up of the CIA's Top-Secret Stargate Program
  • Whiteout: The CIA,Drugs and the Press
Judi Dench: With a Crack in Her Voice Inside Islam: The Faith, the People and the Conflicts of the World's Fastest Growing Religion San Francisco Stories: Tales of the City White Rabbit: A Psychedelic Reader New Orleans Stories: Great Writers on the City