Start by marking “The People's Almanac Presents The Book of Lists” as Want to Read:
The People's Almanac Presents The Book of Lists

The People's Almanac Presents The Book of Lists

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,013 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
This popular reference source includes information on ill-fated products, the "filth levels" of eleven different foods, celebrities who were once cheerleaders, and other fascinating trivia.
Mass Market Paperback, 491 pages
Published July 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published September 22nd 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The People's Almanac Presents The Book of Lists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People's Almanac Presents The Book of Lists

A World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsA World of Romance by Christopher  ShieldsStories and Scripts by Zack LovePeace, Love, & Romance by Jennifer TheriotThe Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1 by M.H. Abrams
Anthologies
253rd out of 264 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
Lists. Dontcha love 'em? You've got an item, then another item, and then some more items! All the items are similar, but at the same time, hey, they're different. And they come in an order, which may or may not mean something. Wow.

I'm afraid I'm already running out of ideas for explaining why lists are so damn fascinating. Instead, in the spirit of this book, I thought I'd compile a list myself. So here's

A LIST OF ALL MY DIALOGUE/CONVERSATION REVIEWS

Alice talks to
the Mad Hatter and the March
Melanie
I love this book!
totally pointless, sucks you in compeltly
there were list i didnt even know that i wanted to know about
but I did
awesome book!
Harris
Aug 08, 2013 Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgia, lists
This book has a special place in my heart. If I recall, I discovered it in 5th or 6th grade and quickly acquired all of the series that I could. Even then, in the ‘90s, the book was hopelessly out of date and a few of the lists had to be taken with a grain of salt but, as I did not yet have access to the internet, this was one of the finest sources of random trivia and bizarre facts available to me. I loved every page of it (with the exception, I suppose, of the chapter devoted to sports) and po ...more
Azeem
Feb 15, 2015 Azeem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Interesting read... though I did not have to verify many of the facts at the time I first read it. Now, I realize that many of the facts presented herein are eminently challenge-able. I own Book of Lists 2 and Book of Lists 3 too. Lots of categories, lots of topics, lots of diversion. I will not recommend it as a reference book but it is very readable (that's why it gets four stars). The Wallace family obviously put a lot of effort in compiling this book and many of the lists are actually q ...more
Simon
May 09, 2011 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great! Better than I thought it would be. Whoever added this book to Goodreads got the page numbers wrong. There is way more than the posted amount. I was at one point 124% done the book and I still had two chapters left. :P

This book is just plainly, very interesting and it is amazing what you can learn from a book like this.
Entertaining and informative. I just wonder where they get the idea to create a book like this.
Hank Stuever
Mar 15, 2014 Hank Stuever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went completely batshit bonkers for this book the summer between 5th and 6th grade. You can keep your Guinness Book of World Records. I would spend hours poring over this.
Jason Yarborough
My parents had nearly the whole series. I probably read these books ten times each when I was eight years old. It's the foundation of all my trivia knowledge...
Astraia
Oct 22, 2010 Astraia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something for everyone in here. If you like trivia- you will love this. Sex, drugs and more.
Lincoln Wert
Sep 21, 2015 Lincoln Wert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Perfect bathroom reads. Quick, short, and fun.
Jeff
May 01, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.
I remember seeing this one around the house in the late '70's and it being one of my earliest intrigues. When I was still a preteen, I had picked it up, certain I'd never read the entire thing, only the sections and lists which interested me. My initial reactions are more than likely ones of being curious and content. This as a result of trying to sound out the: "Thirteen Longest Words In The English Language", or the chapter on "The Sporting Life".
Looking through this book at the present, is
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
The Book of Lists - The Original Compendium of Curious Information by David Wallechinsky and Amy Wallace is a clever non-fiction collection of trivia and interesting stories and information broken down into the following chapters:
People
Words
Sports
Death
Miscellaneous

The book gets its title because all information contained within each chapter is presented in list form. For e
Telans
Mar 29, 2013 Telans rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Забавная книженция, компиляция всевозможных (бесполезных) фактов обо всем на свете (с упором на американскую культуру, разумеется).

Если вам почему-то не хочется читать цельную книгу, можно, в перерывах, окунуться в различные небольшие статейки The Book of Lists (благо, написана она языком легким). Вполне возможно, что 10 мужчин, которые плакали на публике или 21 первоначальное название знаменитых групп не произведут неизгладимого впечатления, да и 17 известных людей, исключенных из школы или 23
Pvw
Nov 30, 2010 Pvw rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just some lists in all kinds of categories. "The ten most stupid thieves", "People who died in weird accidents" and stuff like that. I think it is great toilet literature. And by that I don't imply anything negative; it's the kind of book that you can open on a random page, read some amusing facts and then leave the rest for another visit.

But this book is not perfect. First of all, lists are not an exact science but more often personal opinions. Therefore, it is a lot more fun making lists yours
Valerie
As a reference book, this is almost completely useless. Why? Because it's poorly indexed. Thus, for example, if you're trying to find the names of the Seven Dwarves (and that is the correct plural, by the way), you can't find them without just reading or skimming through until you strike it lucky. Or at least, reading the table of contents thoroughly, which isn't a substitute for an index.

If I were trying to use the book as a reference source, I would most likely have to assemble an index. So wh
Alexis S
Nov 13, 2014 Alexis S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-2015
It was rather interesting
Rich Meyer
Nov 09, 2011 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
The original paperback version of this book is a fun read, with a lot of strange little tidbits of information.

The updated e-book version is okay, but it seems that a lot of the old information has been edited out for the sake of adding more up-to-date and topical references. The formatting on the e-book version is also quite horrid, as the font size and style changes with annoying randomness as you flip through the book.

Still, it's a good read for any fan of useless trivia and minutia.
John
Jan 15, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love me some Book of Lists. This is in some ways the ultimate bathroom reader in that you can flip to a random page of the book, read about some esoteric facts in list form, and be finished with it at about the time that you finish, um, your particular business. It's a great book for any 3 to 5 minute period of off-time that you might have in the middle of the day, really. You should buy several of them, one for each place you stay at for any extended period of time.
Joe  Noir
I love this book. Come with us back to those thrilling days of yesteryear before there was an internet. This book collected lists compiled by all kinds of people on all kinds of subjects. The project led by David Wallechinsky, his father author Irving Wallace, and sister Amy Wallace. Very entertaining, very funny, and fascinating. This book sent me looking for other books, on many subjects, because my curiosity had been piqued.
David
Jan 20, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists by Amy Wallace (William Morrow and Co. 1977)(031.02). Now THIS is a trivia book! Before every website had scads of "top ten lists" of every subject under the sun, there wasThe Book of Lists. I read this thing cover to cover. I couldn't get enough! It's amazing what the author assembled here! I highly recommend this for fans of "Jeopardy"! My rating: 8/10, finished 1977. ...more
Rowan MacBean
Exactly what it says on the tin. I'm an absolute list hound, so I rather enjoyed this book. Sure, there were some lists that I didn't care about and wound up skipping over, and a few that started out good but started to bore me with too many similar stories. But overall I liked it, and I learned a few fun things along the way, too. That's always a plus.
Elyssa
Oct 05, 2007 Elyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If you grew up in the 1970s, your parents probably had this book on the coffee table and if you were like me, you read it many, many times. Back then, the lists were an innovative writing format and the subject matter the authors chose was quite fascinating. I hope to recover this entertaining gem somewhere--maybe it's still on my father's bookshelf.
Melissa
Dec 29, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I'm a certifiable geek. I love reading this junk, though, and it's part of the reason why I rock at trivia. I also gleaned some great ideas for some writing projects...just have to do some more research and develop some characters around random historical events. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction!
Sara
Jul 20, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this book SO MUCH as a teenager! I can't remember a single fact in it (although that may not be entirely true - perhaps a lot of the useless trivia knowledge I now have may be the result of reading this book!) but I know I loved it and would have given it 5 stars back in the day.
Ed
Jun 25, 2008 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My four-star review dates back to when I first read this book as a 'tween (although that word didn't exist then). I was fascinated by these lists, although I didn't have much cultural context into which to place most of the information.
Xanthi
Apr 24, 2013 Xanthi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one during my breaks at work. Jam packed full of stuff, with some pretty quirky lists and topics. Some of it was a little dull, but I would say that the majority of this book was interesting and often amusing.
Amy
Jan 18, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite reference books! I own all the subsequent list books as well. I have found out years later that some of the information was not exactly based on facts, but still a lot of fun to read anyway.
Noora
Jul 28, 2012 Noora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tietokirjat
Hauska lueskelukirja, jossa tosin on hieman epätarkkuuksia varsinkin vuosilukujen osalta, mutta muuten ok. Kirjasta oppi paljon uutta "hyödyllistä" tietoa ja paljon epäolennaisiakin asioita. Ihan hauska kirja.
Fabian Yeo
Aug 31, 2014 Fabian Yeo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book of Lists was a big help for me. Thanks! Lists of information are inside, unbelievable thigns that really happened in real life were included in this book. Nice read though!
Peter
Jan 02, 2009 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original Book of Lists updated with a Canadian Perspective. Not bad, some minor errors but worth a read and filing away on the reference shelf of your personal library.
Salman
Apr 06, 2013 Salman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: random
Great book. True blue page turner. Hilarious. I have read this over and over again. I think I still have the '77 first edition copy with me - but need to check again.
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists #3
  • The Straight Dope
  • Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained
  • Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • The World's Greatest Book of Useless Information: If You Thought You Knew All the Things You Didn't Need to Know - Think Again
  • The Ultimate Book of Top Ten Lists: A Mind-Boggling Collection of Fun, Fascinating and Bizarre Facts on Movies, Music, Sports, Crime, Celebrities, History, Trivia and More
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac: 8,888 Questions in 365 Days
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem)
David Wallechinsky is an American populist historian and television commentator, the president of the International Society of Olympic Historians (ISOH) and the founder and editor-in-chief of AllGov.com.
More about David Wallechinsky...